BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Reference
AK Sponsor: palmetto
AK's in order of quality (Page 1 of 6)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 4/14/2005 2:31:11 PM EDT
I'm looking into getting an AK and was wondering what the levels of quality are on various rifles.  I've been out of the AK loop for about 10 years, so alot has changed.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/14/2005 3:17:16 PM EDT
[#1]
First off, just about every AK will fire and function as well as every other AK out there.

Also quality can vary on kit builds depending on whose building it and which parts kit.

But..

Lower Quality: Romanian AKs and Century Maadi's.

Middle of the Rung Quality: Global Trades, Norinco MAK 90's, Intrac and Pars Maadi's, and most kit builders out there.

Top of the Line Quality: Arsenal Inc, Polytech, Styer Maadi's, Valmets, basically all pre-89 AKs which have 100% factory parts installed. Ted Marshall, AKUSA and Krebs Custom.

That's just my opinion and I'm no expert.
Link Posted: 4/14/2005 6:21:16 PM EDT
[#2]
In Order.

1) Russian
2) Bulgarian
3) Chinese
4) Polish
5) Hungarian
6) Madi(Egypt)
7) Romainian

It my personal opinion
but I might have forgotten 1 or 2.
Link Posted: 4/14/2005 7:11:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Best AK in terms of quality I have seen is the Robinson Armamnet Vepr.

It is a heavy gun built on an RPK reciever. Made in Russia.
Link Posted: 4/14/2005 7:19:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Every MAK-90 I've seen has something mucked up on it somehow.  Had the gas tube that goes from the FSB to the receiver with inside rust, another one a canted FSB.  However, I cant get into the Romanians and their trigger slap, sure it can be fixed but it sholdn't be built that way in the first place.
Link Posted: 4/14/2005 7:30:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By AMD63:
In Order.

1) Russian
2) Bulgarian
3) Chinese
4) Polish
5) Hungarian
6) Madi(Egypt)
7) Romainian

It my personal opinion
but I might have forgotten 1 or 2.

How can you rank chinese over hungarian and polish?  I would have to say that polish and hungarian are a tie for quality and they are higher than chinese.  Some Maadis are on par with russian guns also.
Link Posted: 4/14/2005 7:38:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/14/2005 7:40:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd actually rank the Chinese as the most robust in construction and actually having the best barrels.  Their stampings are thicker on the stamped receivers and their milled receivers are forged.  The chrome lining in the barrels in unparalleled IMO because the make so many of the darn things and the lining seems to be thick but consistent.

The Bulgarian Arsenal Inc rifles appear to be well constructed.  I do not have experience with them yet other than handling.  I do not know about their barrel quality, but their milled receivers are forged.  They are probably the best deal in a new AK out there, and certainly the most variety in configurations available.  

Pre-Ban Maadis and the earlier all-Maadi thumbholes (with welded muzzle nuts) are well made where it counts, although somewhat rough in finish.  I did have one that the chamfering operation for the extractor was missed, and it wouldn't chamber a round (extractor wouldn't slide over the case rim), but a little judicious work with a dremel duplicated the factory chamfer and solved the problem.  The Maadi's shoot very well - and are authentic to the original AKM design.
Link Posted: 4/14/2005 8:32:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I have an Arsenal Inc. Sam-7 and it is an excellent rifle, probably the best you can get that is commercially made and manufactured in the US.  

If you are looking to spend a lot of money I can strongly suggest having Chris at AK-USA build you one.  His ak's are of the best quality that i have ever seen.  I had him build me an ak-105 clone and in the next month or so he is going to start building me a Hungarian AMD-65.  

So it really depends on how much money that you are willing to spend but if I were you, I would start off buying an Arsenal that is commercially made because it is a great rifle and will also be less expensive as oppose to having one custom built.  

I like the custom builds now because you are getting a top quality rifle and you can have it built almost anyway that you want it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2005 8:52:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Go with the Bulgarian AK's. I have a Bulgarian AK74 that I purchased from Chris Butler with AK-USA and it is a outstanding firearm. I would strongly suggest this rifle due to it having an actual Bulgarian receiver on it, not an American made one. Just my opinion. Oh buy the way, it is very accurate. 2" groups open sights with quality RWS 5.45x39 ammo at 100yds no problem.
Link Posted: 4/14/2005 9:09:47 PM EDT
[#10]
In Order.
1) Yugoslavian, The Nicest AK I have ever seen is a Yugo I purchased mid 80s.
2) Bulgarian (Mr Kalishnikov Himself was quoted as saying the Bulgarians make the best AK)
3) Russian
4) Chinese, Poly Techs with the spike bayonet just do it for me, Although I have heard the  
   Bolt/Carrier metal is soft, I have no Idea if this is fact or fiction!
5) Polish
6) Hungarian
7) Madi(Egypt)
8) Romainian

I left out the best AKs made; The Valmets, Galils & Sig 550 series.
Link Posted: 4/14/2005 10:04:39 PM EDT
[#11]
By quality do you guys mean fit and finish? Sheesh, my romies are as tough as my friends polytechs, maadis, etc, who gives a darn about finish, it's not a custom elephant rifle
As long as it oges BANG every time, cosmetics are a mute point that can be fixed later if desired.
Link Posted: 4/14/2005 10:34:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted By RABID:
By quality do you guys mean fit and finish? Sheesh, my romies are as tough as my friends polytechs, maadis, etc, who gives a darn about finish, it's not a custom elephant rifle
As long as it oges BANG every time, cosmetics are a mute point that can be fixed later if desired.

Romanian factory hi-cap guns like the Sar series have perfect receivers.  Barrels are fine but barrel parts (like the quality of the front sights)  leave much to be desired.  Nothing wrong with the romanians also.  So many of them around they arent the "golden egg".

Link Posted: 4/14/2005 11:21:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I read that the Norinco AK47 was chosen by the Navy Seals as their AK47 of choice after testing all the variants. It was their heftier receivers and barrels. That includes the MAK90 versions. The Norincos I've had (5) were solid guns.

Link Posted: 4/15/2005 12:15:03 AM EDT
[#14]
If they are like most military guys I know, special ops or not, I doubt they know all the variants, the countries they were made in, or the differences between them.
Link Posted: 4/15/2005 12:45:02 AM EDT
[#15]
1) Russian
2) Bulgarian
3) polish
4)chinese
5) Hungarian
6) Egyptian
7) Romainian
Link Posted: 4/15/2005 1:16:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Have any of you guys seen a Robinson Armament Vepr???

I just recently purchased one and all I can say is WOW!

I have seen just about every kind of AK and the Vepr is the best quality IMO.
Link Posted: 4/15/2005 1:21:31 AM EDT
[#17]

Originally Posted By MST2:
Have any of you guys seen a Robinson Armament Vepr???

I just recently purchased one and all I can say is WOW!

I have seen just about every kind of AK and the Vepr is the best quality IMO.

Yes, I have.

My Valmet 62 is better.
Link Posted: 4/15/2005 2:32:19 AM EDT
[#18]
a WASR is by far the best
Link Posted: 4/15/2005 3:57:20 AM EDT
[#19]

Originally Posted By jb241970:
1) Russian
2) Bulgarian
3) polish
4)chinese
5) Hungarian
6) Egyptian
7) Romainian

you guys are lumping 50 years of ak's together wich make no since
like the russian rifles they went from good to bad to good and bounced all over the place really depinds on the year
same gos for alot of them altho most did go downhill and just say down
id also say the hung rifles are top 3 you guys have been getting beatdown amd's dirt cheap for so long you think they are crap look at the mechine work in them its excellent
i think i gotta put bulgarian at the top but i would still take a russian in a heartbeat over a bulgi  
Link Posted: 4/15/2005 4:07:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GenghisKhan] [#20]

Originally Posted By MST2:
Best AK in terms of quality I have seen is the Robinson Armamnet Vepr.

It is a heavy gun built on an RPK reciever. Made in Russia.

+1

Their may be nicer ones out their like the Finish ones that I do not even think you can buy but I will spend $550 on a Vepr no problem. However personaly I would never spend what they ask for some AKs. Just my two cents.
Link Posted: 4/15/2005 4:11:58 AM EDT
[#21]
I agree Hungaian Ak's are very high in quality . If the same kits on the market where limited to a small amount and priced much higher than the $50-$60 that you could originally get a 65 for people would probably think more highly of them.
Link Posted: 4/15/2005 4:33:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Saguaro] [#22]
I'm certainly no AK guy by any stretch of the imagination, but here's my 2 cents. Owned a SAR-1--it did not go bang every time. Double-fired and failed to feed every time. When I got it fixed, the trigger slapped like a bitch. Hated it. Sold it. Shot a .223 Chinese AK last week. It was OK I guess, but it also had a noticeable trigger slap. Didn't care for it. The Bulgarian AKs I've handled look real nice, but haven't had a chance to shoot one yet.

Buy an M1A or an AR.
Link Posted: 4/15/2005 10:25:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Msokol13] [#23]
Here's the BEST right here.
Arsenal Inc.(Las Vegas) AK-74 modified by Chris ak www.AK-103.com

It cost a pretty penny but by far the best finish in the industry, even more durable then the real Russian Enamel.

Link Posted: 4/15/2005 10:41:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Ask Templar about the Arsenal Inc. SA M-7 A1 or SA M-7 A1 R
Link Posted: 4/15/2005 11:31:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/15/2005 11:39:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Templar] [#26]
Link Posted: 4/16/2005 8:54:42 AM EDT
[#27]
I haven't fired a whole lot of them, but the Vector AK i have is the best I've shot so far.
Link Posted: 4/16/2005 12:34:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SelectFire] [#28]
Best AK is one that you don't ever want to part with nomatter what.
Link Posted: 4/16/2005 2:31:13 PM EDT
[#29]
I have to wonder about all of you ranking the Maadi over the Romanian.  Maybe we're lumping a lot of different models together here.  If you are talking about the Maadi that was imported by Steyr before the ban, than I will agree with you, it was pretty good.  If you are talking about the Maadi MISR, that started coming in at the same time or slightly before the SAR, give me a break.  Every one I saw had canted sights and a finish that was worse than the SAR.  The laquer on the wood was applied after the buttplates and sling swivels were installed as they were lacquered too!  Some Romanians have trigger slap.  Mine never have.   In my experience, I would have to say they rate higher than they are being given credit for.

With regards to many of the others, unless you are buying an Arsenal with a Bulgarian receiver, your "Bulgarian" rifle is really Bulgarian parts assembled on an American receiver.  The parts may be good, but the finished product is only as good as the receiver and the smith.  If you use crappy century trigger parts you may end up with trigger slap, just like a Romanian.  If you do a beadblast and blue on the receiver, you'll get a non-durable finish....like the Romanian.  Same deal for any Polish, Hungarian, Yugo, E. German, Russian, etc. kits that you get today.

Factory Russian imports that are converted by a quality smith are excellent rifles.  Anthing that is pre-ban is almost universally good, but here you are talking mostly Chinese, some Yugo, some Hungarian and a few Egyptian Maadis.  One thing to think about however, is that while a Chineses may be well made, durable and functionally perfect, you will be limited to chinese parts for the most part.  Many of the European surplus parts, or parts made to fit European patterned rifles will not fit on the Chinese AKs without modification.

This borders on snobbery, but if you get to understand and appreciate the details, the Chinese mix of AK47 and AKM design features begins to look a little odd, look being the operative word.  Its only important if its important to you.

Bottom line, money makes a difference.  You aren't going to go order an Aresenal SLR 105 and expect to pay the same money you would for a SAR or WASR-10.  If you buy a cheap rifle with the intent of gradually upgrading, expect the final cost to meet or exceed that of the "expensive" rifle by the time you are finally done.

A cheap gun is only cheap if you are happy with it as it is.
Link Posted: 4/16/2005 2:55:28 PM EDT
[#30]
best ak?

the ones I build for myself of course
Link Posted: 4/16/2005 4:52:07 PM EDT
[#31]
How good were those old 1950's era Russian type 3's ?
Link Posted: 4/16/2005 5:04:34 PM EDT
[#32]
VEPRS over the Arsenal 105s?
Link Posted: 4/16/2005 7:52:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/16/2005 8:19:46 PM EDT
[#34]

Originally Posted By lancew:
I'd actually rank the Chinese as the most robust in construction and actually having the best barrels.  Their stampings are thicker on the stamped receivers and their milled receivers are forged.  The chrome lining in the barrels in unparalleled IMO because the make so many of the darn things and the lining seems to be thick but consistent.

The Bulgarian Arsenal Inc rifles appear to be well constructed.  I do not have experience with them yet other than handling.  I do not know about their barrel quality, but their milled receivers are forged.  They are probably the best deal in a new AK out there, and certainly the most variety in configurations available.  

Pre-Ban Maadis and the earlier all-Maadi thumbholes (with welded muzzle nuts) are well made where it counts, although somewhat rough in finish.  I did have one that the chamfering operation for the extractor was missed, and it wouldn't chamber a round (extractor wouldn't slide over the case rim), but a little judicious work with a dremel duplicated the factory chamfer and solved the problem.  The Maadi's shoot very well - and are authentic to the original AKM design.

I had the opportunity to interview, in detail a lot of combatants in the 92-95 Bosnian War (most of them members of the AmEmb/USAID local guard force, Amb. PP detail, and MPRI interpreters) Cut and pasted from my original report below - (by the way, I own an Bulgie milled and a Maadi stamped, right now, as well as an AMD63 parts kit.  The Bulgarian rifles are great.  The Maadi is rough and I had the exact same extractor problem!)

"....The Kalashnikov AK was far and away the universal favorite of my informants. It is utterly reliable and easy to strip. Cleaning supplies were not available; one unit in Sarajevo was instructed to coat all the internal parts of the weapon, including gas piston, with motor oil (!) as it was the only lubricant they had. (The AKs still worked.) Magazines were frequently 'jungle-clipped' with heavy tape, with the spare magazine's feed lips facing the dirt. This, too, seems to have created no problems for AK users!

The AK was the preferred weapon for use in winter, in light forests, and in fog and smoke at ranges of up to 300 meters. It was typically used on full-auto, although some Ranger-type ("Diversionary") soldiers disdained full-auto fire for its inaccuracy and waste:

"I was instructed by my commander to go on a mission with only a little food and munitions," said one. "The commander told me, 'You need more ammo or food? You know where to get it!' " (Capture it from the enemy.)

The contending forces typically used identical weapons, and since the Kalashnikov was the standard Yugoslavian rifle, capturing ammunition was a popular method of supply. The first choice of most combatants was the original Russian/Soviet AK and the Yugoslavian ‘Crneva Zastava’ (‘Red Banner’ CZ for short) AK, which is thought to have the best quality control and the best barrel steel.

The Yugo gun often has a spigot for rifle grenades. Unfortunately, many soldiers were injured because they forgot that they needed to remove the live round from the chamber before launching a grenade.

Bulgarian and Hungarian AKs follow in popularity. I recently saw an Egyptian AKM. It was identical to the Maadi rifles (black paint finish) sold in the USA, but was equipped with select-fire and with a side-folding stock.

The Romanian and Chinese weapons were universally condemned by scores of informants as having poor barrels that warped after only a few magazines of ammo had been fired at full-auto fire. This may or may not be an indication of performance for the semi-auto rifles from these countries which are imported to the USA."
Link Posted: 4/17/2005 3:01:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Progunvoter] [#35]
lse.,n.
Link Posted: 4/17/2005 11:19:12 AM EDT
[#36]
The pictures of the worst I"ve seen here were built in a chicken coup.
Link Posted: 4/17/2005 7:31:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RABID] [#37]
Warping a barrel after only a couple of magazines

I fired about 200 rounds slow fire out of my no-ban rommie, and after all the targets were dispatched I had four 30 round mags left, so I got rid of their contents as quick as I could fire and reload. (mind you the rifle was already a tad warm at this point)
Now I got to gauge my barrel to make sure it isn't warped
Link Posted: 4/17/2005 8:58:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OODA_Loop] [#38]

Originally Posted By RABID:
Warping a barrel after only a couple of magazines

I fired about 200 rounds slow fire out of my no-ban rommie, and after all the targets were dispatched I had four 30 round mags left, so I got rid of their contents as quick as I could fire and reload. (mind you the rifle was already a tad warm at this point)
Now I got to gauge my barrel to make sure it isn't warped

I heard bad stories about the ChiCom units all over the country. Maybe someone sold them a bad lot.

Universally the first AK desired there is the Yugo, then Russian, with no preference after that.  This was before any Romys were imported into the US, and none of these guys had any reason to have a preference; they were all end-users!  That's an except from a longer piece published maybe two or three places.

You might enjoy this, photographed on my host's bed in the NW part of the country around the time Bill Clinton was confessing on television.  BTW he had no complaints about his rifle; he is also the source of my comments elsewhere on the use of SKS rifles with aftermarket scopes pressed into service (eg your cheap Red Star scope is a real "Bosnian Sniper"!)  

Link Posted: 4/17/2005 9:10:14 PM EDT
[#39]
I agree with OODA_Loop 100%, I Own or have owned lots of AKs over the years,The Yugo stamped rec. AK is the finest made Stamped AK I have seen. They are also very rare here in the states, But there are some around; Some lucky bastard bought a Yugo under folder on the EE last year for $850. Beat me to it!!  
Link Posted: 4/17/2005 9:32:19 PM EDT
[#40]

Originally Posted By garr:
I agree with OODA_Loop 100%, I Own or have owned lots of AKs over the years,The Yugo stamped rec. AK is the finest made Stamped AK I have seen. They are also very rare here in the states, But there are some around; Some lucky bastard bought a Yugo under folder on the EE last year for $850. Beat me to it!!  

Thanks- I don't have a dog in the fight, I'm just reporting what I heard.  I'd like to have a Romy, a couple ChiComs, and a Yugo, myself!
Link Posted: 4/17/2005 9:35:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/17/2005 9:40:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/6/2005 7:55:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/6/2005 3:51:34 PM EDT
[#44]

Originally Posted By Jeepcreep:
My .02......

1.Chinese
2.everything else!

again YMMV

+1   Chinese is best inside and out.     Polytech stamped or milled.
Link Posted: 5/6/2005 5:27:34 PM EDT
[#45]
I would like to have a Vepr. However I strongly dislike the hacked receivers. I am hopeing that now the ban is gone. I am hopeing they will import some nice folders.
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 2:29:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Doesn't the Yugo AKs lack chrome-lined barrels?
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 7:19:06 AM EDT
[#47]

Originally Posted By 556A2:

The Yugos I have seen were all chrome lined.
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 9:11:36 AM EDT
[#48]

Originally Posted By 556A2:

Yes
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 9:12:11 AM EDT
[#49]

Originally Posted By gsd2053:
I would like to have a Vepr. However I strongly dislike the hacked receivers. I am hopeing that now the ban is gone. I am hopeing they will import some nice folders.

Wont happen
Link Posted: 5/8/2005 1:49:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
AK's in order of quality (Page 1 of 6)
Page AK-47 » AK Reference
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top