User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/17/2012 9:23:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TX-Zen]
I figure it's probably not going to be a surprise considering all the posts I've made about optics over the years, but I've formally launched a new site: RussianOptics.net - dedicated to the zillion optics available for the AK series. The site is non profit and is intended to be a reference for the AK enthusiast, I don't have plans to sell anything and won't be promoting any of the retailers that import combloc optics. I also probably won't have a discussion area for a while, or possibly even at all. The intent of the site is to put out information and information only, not proclaim anything as the gospel. It's mainly the formalized version of what I typically post here and on theakforum.net and I felt like it was time to put it all in one spot and tidy it up as a reference.

One thing to note is that the site is a WIP and will be for a while I'm sure. I always thought I had a good idea of how many optics were out there but it's amazing what you realize when you start trying to be systematic and catalog them all. There are quite a bit more than just the older PSO and POSP optics most of us are familiar with and it seems in the last 10 years the Russians and Belarusians are producing many new types each year. It will be a while before the content is fully developed and at any given time there will be topics that land you on a default page, but hopefully as time goes on I'll be able to get it more and more detailed, assuming I ever catch up to the new designs that is

I plan on covering most of the major optic types including 5.45x39 models, 7.62x39 versions, red dots/collimators, night vision optics, mounting options like Russian side mounts, US solutions like RS Regulate and Ultimak for example. I'll also be doing a relatively in depth battery life test of the PK series red dots and compiling a spreadsheet format of weight, height over bore/topcover, offset distance and other factors so that it's possible to compare the optics side by side. It's not always obvious from pictures what the differences between the optics are so I'll try and put some data together.

Comments and suggestions are very welcome and appreciated - here in this thread or by email to TX-Zen at AR15.com. I'll do my best to incorporate suggestions, but I must admit that I do tend to drink a lot of whiskey while I'm working on the site (apologies in advance for typo's, run on sentences and fragmented thoughts )

The site is dedicated to you guys and to the many members here and on TOS who have taught me all the stuff I know. Enjoy!

Z

Link Posted: 3/17/2012 9:46:47 PM EDT
[#1]
AWESOME site Zen!
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 9:47:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Awesome.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 10:00:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Glad to see you are doing this. I just have one suggestion - since you are writing about Russian and Belarusian optics, whiskey seems out of place; switch to the good-ol' Stolichnaya, and you'll be good to go!
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 10:02:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By kmb147:
Glad to see you are doing this. I just have one suggestion - since you are writing about Russian and Belarusian optics, whiskey seems out of place; switch to the good-ol' Stolichnaya, and you'll be good to go!

Lol

Stoly and I go way way back actually and I have many fond memories indeed, but recently I have rekindled my affair with old number 7

Thanks for the reminder though
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 10:05:13 PM EDT
[#5]
A bases-loaded home run.  Excellent layout, it's an easy site to navigate.  Nice job Zen.

Link Posted: 3/17/2012 10:06:22 PM EDT
[#6]
very nice. a ton of information already man. Bookmarked!
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 10:09:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Dude, nicely done. That site is a great reference for the AK enthusiast learning about optics.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 10:18:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Very cool!  Thanks Z.
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 12:33:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Awesome site Zen! Can't wait to read the mount section.
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 1:06:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Right on, thanks for doing this. A site like this is way overdue.
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 2:07:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Bookmarked!
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 2:45:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the new sight Zen, this one gets added to my bookmark collection.
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 6:40:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Thats awesome Zen.  Keep up the work.
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 8:41:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Well done.

Link Posted: 3/18/2012 8:49:15 AM EDT
[#15]
You fucking Texan, overacheiven' AK owners.  

I swear to God!

But seriously, nice job Zen, I've been waiting for you to put all stuff in one place.

I've snooped through your photo accounts enough to be considered a stalker.
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 10:32:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Balista] [#16]
Very nice! I was wondering where to get my hands on a 1P78 ....

Link Posted: 3/18/2012 11:33:58 AM EDT
[#17]
TX-Zen - you should consider brokering these rare optics, be a source where sellers know you'll pay a fair price - and buyers know you are THE source of these specialty optics.

It could work - won't make you immediately wealthy, but may be the start of other lines of unique goods (perhaps services too).

Just a thought.

Link Posted: 3/18/2012 11:42:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Balista:
Very nice! I was wondering where to get my hands on a 1P78 ....

http://www.npzoptics.ru/images/catalog/pricely_dlya_strelkovogo_oruzhiya/1p78_900x800.gif

I think Kalilnka has Kashtans in stock. Sometimes they will also appear on Gunbroker.
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 2:10:29 PM EDT
[#19]
You left out this unit:
http://www.krebscustom.com/ProductLine/Rail_System-AssembledLocked.shtml
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 4:15:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Excellent site, it's great to have all this information in one place. I'd never given much thought to AK optics until I saw your reviews, now I've started saving for a 1P78.
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 4:44:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Really awesome website!

I just put it as a bookmark.

Anyway, I was looking for a 1p78 and saw on kalinka optics they had two different models; the difference being the reticule of one being a German post and the other having the standard range finding reticule.

Could the German post be a civilian model like the upo-1?  They are using a stock photo so I don't know if it as any different markings suggesting that it might be....hmmm....

Link Posted: 3/18/2012 5:45:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TX-Zen] [#22]
The German post reticule does seem to be a civilian version intended for Saiga rifles. Functionally I think there is little difference other than not having the additional range marks for 500-600-700m, but that's something most of us don't really do on a regular basis. For 'authenticity' it's maybe not as cool as the military version but for practical use it shouldn't matter.

I'm tempted to get one actually, I have a feeling they will be collectible down the road due to rarity.

Z
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 5:51:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TX-Zen] [#23]
Originally Posted By Hedonist:
TX-Zen - you should consider brokering these rare optics, be a source where sellers know you'll pay a fair price - and buyers know you are THE source of these specialty optics.

It could work - won't make you immediately wealthy, but may be the start of other lines of unique goods (perhaps services too).

Just a thought.

I've thought about it but it really takes serious connections overseas that I don't directly have. I know a number of people yes but not inside NPZ or BelOMO themselves.

However, the crack dealers that I do business with these days do have the connections and they are probably the main reason why we can even get these optics. Effectively they have the connections and I'm not sure how much room there is for another guy in that space, especially one who doesn't speak Russian.

It's a logical suggestion though but being pretty deep into the collector side of things I'm seeing (or assuming) some hurdles that may not be so obvious. Also don't want these guys to come break my legs for trying to undercut them

Z
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 5:57:59 PM EDT
[#24]
So work a deal where you send these guys business, and keep your legs intact.

Link Posted: 3/18/2012 7:31:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Awesome TX!!  
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 7:42:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By TX-Zen:

Just a thought.

I've thought about it but it really takes serious connections overseas that I don't directly have. I know a number of people yes but not inside NPZ or BelOMO themselves.

However, the crack dealers that I do business with these days do have the connections and they are probably the main reason why we can even get these optics. Effectively they have the connections and I'm not sure how much room there is for another guy in that space, especially one who doesn't speak Russian.

It's a logical suggestion though but being pretty deep into the collector side of things I'm seeing (or assuming) some hurdles that may not be so obvious. Also don't want these guys to come break my legs for trying to undercut them

Z

Money talks. There is room if we can get a more reliable dealer.
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 9:09:53 PM EDT
[#27]
I hear you guys, lets stick to the content first and see if anything comes out of it down the road. I'm busy enough just writing about the dang things let alone trying to find time to sell them too

Z
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 10:57:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Really good job!!

I wish there was a combloc way to mount a optic on a sidefolder without the side rail. I would buy it in a second... It really sucks! I really want to keep one of my rifles authentic but I would love a russian red dot on it. You dont know of any I missed do you? Such a good site but I think if you did sell maybe just one of each kind, like your favorite, people would like to buy them from you. I would!!
Link Posted: 3/19/2012 1:14:41 AM EDT
[#29]

Link Posted: 3/19/2012 8:35:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Awesome!  Great website.   I'm sure everyone appreciates this!
Link Posted: 3/19/2012 8:55:30 AM EDT
[#31]
fantastic website!  finally understand the 400m zero concept for the 5.45
Link Posted: 3/19/2012 9:54:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Nice job TX-Zen, I'm actually browsing the side mount section now looking at options for my AK.

Link Posted: 3/19/2012 11:01:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Awesome!
Link Posted: 3/19/2012 11:41:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Thank you. Very glad to see this place as a real AK board with true enthusiasts and collectors. Excellent articles.

7n6
Link Posted: 3/19/2012 2:46:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Great idea.......thanks.
Link Posted: 3/19/2012 3:07:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Excellent site sir! Bookmarked.
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 12:56:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Since it's a Russian information site, I know a lot of people would want some information about sighting in a Mosin Nagant with irons and a PU scope, m44 and 91/30.

It's probably already on your list to do.

Great work man.
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 1:23:49 AM EDT
[#38]
I have a PO 6x36 NPZ illuminated scope. I didn't see it on your site. I'd be more than happy to take some pictures if you need them.
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 5:55:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Bookmarked!
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 9:08:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Nice website with an impressive amount of information.  Thank you very much.
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 4:28:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: StephenNW] [#41]

Just a thought.

Nicely done, TX!  I spent 20 minutes looking over your site last night.  A lot of good, useful info there!

I agree with Hedonist...if you have any desire to do so, it might be neat to see if Kalinka or any other reputable companies have an affiliate program for you to join, or would be willing to create one.  I think you'd do well with something like that!

ETA: Just saw your later responses.  Still, if you're ever interested, it's something to keep in mind.  You'd be doing it the way the most successful affiliates do it, too: they focus on providing valuable free content for a year or two first, THEN they monetize the site with either affiliate sales or Google ads.  It can make for a nice revenue stream to fund your hobby.
Link Posted: 3/20/2012 6:12:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 9:39:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By CGP2:
I have a PO 6x36 NPZ illuminated scope. I didn't see it on your site. I'd be more than happy to take some pictures if you need them.

I'm going to be tackling a number of other sections first but thank you for the offer, I may indeed ask for some help there  

Also thanks to everyone for the compliments, I really appreciate it. I'll be chugging along for a while but the positive feedback is great. Again suggestions welcome and I'll do my best to get them incorporated, just know that I'm doing this as I find time to get it done.

Thanks!

Z
Link Posted: 3/21/2012 11:59:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Very good job man, I'm impressed and thankful! I want a true Russian red dot that would compare to Eotech or Aimpoint as far as reliability/quality....what would you recommend? Its for an SGL31  Oh and I want it to sit low and not high. I'm most likely going to be getting a dog leg style rail instead of using the side mount.

Originally Posted By TX-Zen:
I figure it's probably not going to be a surprise considering all the posts I've made about optics over the years, but I've formally launched a new site: RussianOptics.net - dedicated to the zillion optics available for the AK series. The site is non profit and is intended to be a reference for the AK enthusiast, I don't have plans to sell anything and won't be promoting any of the retailers that import combloc optics. I also probably won't have a discussion area for a while, or possibly even at all. The intent of the site is to put out information and information only, not proclaim anything as the gospel. It's mainly the formalized version of what I typically post here and on theakforum.net and I felt like it was time to put it all in one spot and tidy it up as a reference.

One thing to note is that the site is a WIP and will be for a while I'm sure. I always thought I had a good idea of how many optics were out there but it's amazing what you realize when you start trying to be systematic and catalog them all. There are quite a bit more than just the older PSO and POSP optics most of us are familiar with and it seems in the last 10 years the Russians and Belarusians are producing many new types each year. It will be a while before the content is fully developed and at any given time there will be topics that land you on a default page, but hopefully as time goes on I'll be able to get it more and more detailed, assuming I ever catch up to the new designs that is

I plan on covering most of the major optic types including 5.45x39 models, 7.62x39 versions, red dots/collimators, night vision optics, mounting options like Russian side mounts, US solutions like RS Regulate and Ultimak for example. I'll also be doing a relatively in depth battery life test of the PK series red dots and compiling a spreadsheet format of weight, height over bore/topcover, offset distance and other factors so that it's possible to compare the optics side by side. It's not always obvious from pictures what the differences between the optics are so I'll try and put some data together.

Comments and suggestions are very welcome and appreciated - here in this thread or by email to TX-Zen at AR15.com. I'll do my best to incorporate suggestions, but I must admit that I do tend to drink a lot of whiskey while I'm working on the site (apologies in advance for typo's, run on sentences and fragmented thoughts )

The site is dedicated to you guys and to the many members here and on TOS who have taught me all the stuff I know. Enjoy!

Z

Link Posted: 3/22/2012 1:01:30 AM EDT
[#45]
Awesome work Brother... Thanks for taking the time to do this.  

Link Posted: 3/22/2012 9:15:11 AM EDT
[#46]
WOW. *bookmarked*
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 1:22:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 1:46:49 AM EDT
[#48]
Excellent site, very interesting & I don't even care for Com-Bloc sights. Bookmarked
Link Posted: 3/26/2012 4:07:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quick preview of PN16K, a new Russian Gen 3 night vision solution for AK's

Will try and have a review up this weekend with reticule pics

Z
Link Posted: 4/14/2012 11:12:47 AM EDT
[#50]
Site has been updated with PN16K and PN21K night vision review, the battery test (in progress), a bit more content on red dot's and some other odds and ends.

Z
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top