Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2013 12:36:19 PM EDT
First ever build:
PSA 16" Mid-Length light profile Madness upper (1:7 twist)
PSA stock kit
PSA lpk
Tactical Innovations lower
LMT bolt and carrier
PSA charging handle
Troy Bravo 11" rail
Primary Arms 30mm red dot
Magpul MOE grip
Magpul MOE trigger guard

I built this rifle over a long span… the first part ordered was the trigger guard, way back on July 17th. I waited for sales, free shipping, or simply for components to become available, then ordered as I was able. I had functional rifle by November, which, in hindsight, was fortunate timing. I just put the optic and grip on.

Before I go on, many thanks to the arfcom community, for all of the info, good and bad, that I've ingested over the past year. Invaluable.

I'm a tinkerer- most of my weapons have some type of modification, but the AR world is a whole new game… and I love it. This first rifle is a general purpose rifle but I've been pleasantly surprised at it's ability to put rounds in a tight group. I expected less, but got more.

Can't complain about the PSA upper/barrel assembly… great price, the barrel groups well.

The lower is from Tactical Innovations, and has a few helpful features, mainly the built-in tensioning screw (in lieu of a wedge) and the rear pin detent screw (prevents accidental launch of the rear detent spring).

The rail… I was a bit nervous as I used a hacksaw to remove the delta ring and spring, even more nervous to dimple the barrel for the gas block but I used a press and worked slowly. I wanted to float the barrel. Does the rail matter at 25 or 50 yards? Maybe not. I do think it matters beyond 100, if using a scope for accuracy. Regardless, I know the barrel isn't bearing a load besides it's own weight and that's good to know. I did want a bit of weight up front, and truthfully, if I'm honest, I like how it looks. But what's on it now is what will stay on it. No lasers, lights, knives, tools, bottle openers, death rays, extra shoes, or other add-ons. Well, maybe some iron sights down the road, but no time soon.

I like everything about this rifle, save two things: I added a universal sling loop end plate and the loop prevents the stock from locking into the shortest setting. A minor but annoying problem, and one that I'll remedy soon. The second thing… this rifle is finished. Or is it? I could change so many things… how about an upgraded stock, or a different muzzle device, or a new precision upper, or…

http://2.mattstanfield.com/images/ar/PSA1.jpg
Link Posted: 3/15/2013 12:38:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Awesome picture, like the build would just toss that stock and put something else you like on. I'm stuck on Magpul CTR's but I just hate those regular M4 style plastic ones.
Link Posted: 3/15/2013 12:39:00 PM EDT
[#2]
looks good.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top