Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/8/2016 11:10:21 PM EDT
Head-Shots with Red-Dots

For this ballistic exercise, I did a brief comparison of the level of accuracy that was attainable when aiming with four different “red-dot” sights.  The following four optics were tested:

>  Aimpoint CompML2 with a 4 MOA dot

>  Aimpoint T1 with an advertised 4 MOA dot

>  Aimpoint CompM4S with a 2 MOA dot

>  EoTech 551 with the 65 MOA ring/1 MOA dot

All shooting for this ballistic exercise was conducted from the bench at a distance of 50 yards using my Lothar-Walther barreled AR-15 and match-grade, hand-loaded ammunition.  The head-targets used for this exercise were reduced in scale to simulate aiming at distances beyond 50 yards.  

The testing was conducted at 50 yards in order to mitigate the variable of wind-drift that would have been significant if testing had been conducted at actual distances and to remove the vertical variation of the points of impact that would have occurred due to bullet drop at actual distances.  The objective here was to determine what the limitation on accuracy was, due to aiming with the various red-dot sights, not how well I could dope the wind and distance.  Each optic was zeroed for POA=POI at 50 yards prior to testing using 10-shot groups.  All aiming was conducted with the entire dot of each optic placed over the head-target.  (No aiming was done using just the bottom or top of the dot or holding the entire dot above or below the head-target.)

The targets used for this exercise are copies of the head portion of the Front Sight Official Training and Qualification Target.  The Front Sight target is an “accurate representation of human dimensions taken from medical cadaver studies and 3000 x-ray studies.”  

Only the head portion of the target was used so that no visual cues could be obtained from the larger body portion of the target.  The full-sized head-target is approximately 6” wide by 9” high.  The targets were sequentially reduced in scale to simulate the full-sized head targets from 75 yards to 600 yards (at 50 yards), in 25 yard increments.  (Again, all shooting was actually conducted at 50 yards.)

The simple test procedure for this exercise was as follows: one shot and one shot only was fired at the head-targets in increasing simulated distance (smaller and smaller targets.)  Testing for each optic ended when I missed a target on the first shot.  The entire exercise was conducted twice, with the same results each time.

To establish a control base-line of accuracy, I tested a NightForce NXS 1-4X with the NP-1 reticle prior to testing the red-dot sights.   Using the NightForce scope (set at 4X magnification) I was able to make first-round hits on the simulated 600 yard head-target (the farthest simulated distance that I used for this exercise.)

Aimpoint CompML2

Using the Aimpoint CompML2 with the 4 MOA dot I was able to obtain first round hits on the simulated 225 yard head-target.

Aimpoint T1

Using the Aimpoint T1 with the advertised 4 MOA dot I was able to obtain first round hits on the simulated 250 yard head-target.

Aimpoint CompM4S

Using the Aimpoint CompM4S with the 2 MOA dot I was able to obtain first round hits on the simulated 400 yard head-target.

EoTech 551

Using the EoTech 551 with the 65 MOA ring/1 MOA dot reticle (and aiming with the 1 MOA dot) I was able to obtain first round hits on the simulated 375 yard head-target.

….
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 12:20:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Very cool as always, Molon.

When can we expect the single shot torso version with the same optics?
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 12:29:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Well done.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 1:21:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I understand magnifiers for those who are getting older and eyes getting worse but I think a lot of people don't realize what kind of range a person can achieve with a simple red dot.

I'd suggest target identification is more difficult than the shot itself.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 1:31:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  I understand magnifiers for those who are getting older and eyes getting worse but I think a lot of people don't realize what kind of range a person can achieve with a simple red dot.

View Quote

@ 300 m, I can't see the pop-up half the time, let alone hit it.  I want a good magnifier.  I'd be in the market for one, but the Supply SGT issued me an ACOG.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 9:53:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

@ 300 m, I can't see the pop-up half the time, let alone hit it.  I want a good magnifier.  I'd be in the market for one, but the Supply SGT issued me an ACOG.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  I understand magnifiers for those who are getting older and eyes getting worse but I think a lot of people don't realize what kind of range a person can achieve with a simple red dot.

Yup I totally get it. But when you get eyes on I'll bet you can ring it :)

I saw a vid where Travis Haley was ringing a man sized target with a T1 at 750 yards. I think LAV went out pretty far with one too.

Of course it's probably not efficient for battle where quickly identifying foes is necessary.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 11:48:56 AM EDT
[#6]
good show old man...good show!
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 1:51:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 2:01:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for adding more quality test data to the board, Molon.
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 3:01:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I understand magnifiers for those who are getting older and eyes getting worse but I think a lot of people don't realize what kind of range a person can achieve with a simple red dot.

View Quote

Exactly. I have always felt very comfortable with a Aimpoint out to 300meters. I just now tried out a 1x4 variable, and at 1x its just a 2MOA dot. So best of both worlds.

Aim small.. miss small...
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 6:17:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Exactly. I have always felt very comfortable with a Aimpoint out to 300meters. I just now tried out a 1x4 variable, and at 1x its just a 2MOA dot. So best of both worlds.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But whos holding a 400 yard zero with a 2 MOA red dot? At extended ranges, one of the benefits of red dots are that the holdover doesn't obscure the target.

50 yard zero, hold dot to chest, to face, and then on the hat for ranges 0-200, 300, 400 yards. These will all drop into the torso where wind has less of a chance of moving off target vs the head.

But sure enough, the 2 MOA dot is more precise than the A2 front post of a rifle length platform. Iirc so is a 4 MOA dot vs the flat plane of the top of the front A2 post.

Link Posted: 1/9/2016 6:24:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Iirc so is a 4 MOA dot vs the flat plane of the top of the front A2 post.

View Quote

The standard Colt A2 front sight post is approximately 12 MOA (or more depending upon sight radius).

Link Posted: 1/9/2016 7:24:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the post!
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 7:49:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Very cool.

Subbed.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 12:49:20 AM EDT
[#14]
nicely done!!!! thanks
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 2:14:10 AM EDT
[#15]
How wide, in inches, is the torso on that target?
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 2:33:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Amazing shooting.
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 2:33:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Amazing shooting.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 8:52:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Thank you for posting this.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 10:43:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Added below . . .
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 7:30:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Great post and info....and nice shooting.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 6:39:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

15 inches.

Link Posted: 1/18/2016 12:31:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Very cool, I was surprised you were able to get first hits at 600 with 4x. Pretty impressive

** Just realized I missed all shooting was done at 50, wind and holdover would no doubt make this extremely difficult**
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 11:01:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

My eyes are so old I've moved to a 1.5x triangle ACOG

View Quote

Those are some fun little sights.

Link Posted: 1/26/2016 3:46:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Thank you for the information, it's nice to know how that compares to the standard torso width.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 11:05:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Thanks for adding more quality test data to the board, Molon.

View Quote

Da nada.

Link Posted: 3/13/2016 8:15:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Thank you for the information, it's nice to know how that compares to the standard torso width.

View Quote

De rien.

Link Posted: 4/8/2016 12:08:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

@ 300 m, I can't see the pop-up half the time, let alone hit it.

View Quote

Pop quiz:  

What is the most commonly missed target on the US Army 300 meter pop-up qualification?

a.  50 meters
b. 150 meters
c. 300 meters
e. all of the above

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:06:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Pop quiz:  

What is the most commonly missed target on the US Army 300 meter pop-up qualification?

a.  50 meters
b. 150 meters
c. 300 meters
e. all of the above

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pop quiz:  

a.  50 meters
b. 150 meters
c. 300 meters
e. all of the above

Bueller?  Bueller?

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 2:27:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Bueller?  Bueller?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pop quiz:  

a.  50 meters
b. 150 meters
c. 300 meters
e. all of the above

Bueller?  Bueller?

B. 150 meters.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:23:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

B. 150 meters.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pop quiz:  

a.  50 meters
b. 150 meters
c. 300 meters
e. all of the above

Bueller?  Bueller?

B. 150 meters.

Correct!  100 Internet points to you!

Link Posted: 5/14/2016 4:25:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Now try one that you can turn the dot off and just use the fine cross-hair if you want . . .

Link Posted: 5/15/2016 12:10:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Now try one that you can turn the dot off and just use the fine cross-hair if you want . . .

https://app.box.com/shared/static/gfudirsuq4.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How is the FOV on that expensive sucker? I bought a Vortex Razor 1-6 on Friday for $1k. FOV is amazing and the dot is only .5 MOA unless you crank the illumination up.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 4:59:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

How is the FOV on that expensive sucker?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How is the FOV on that expensive sucker?

Per S&B:

Field of View at 100 Meters:

36@ 1.1x
9.2@ 4x
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top