Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/11/2011 7:10:25 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/11/2011 8:26:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tomac] [#1]
Model: Trijicon RX30A-51 (w/ACOG TA51 mount)
Reticle: 6.5moa dot
Length of use: Appx 2yrs
Number of rds fired: Appx 1,000+ (including a weekend carbine class)
Firearm used: MSAR STG-556

The Trijicon RX30 is the latest in their Reflex series, using the same fiber optic & tritium sources for reticle illumination but with improved fiber optics to lessen (but not eliminate) the risk of reticle washout under certain lighting conditions (the bane of all Reflex-style optics).

While a variety of mounts are available for the RX30, I chose the ACOG TA51 mount for both proven ruggedness (the mount clamps the rail for a full 3.5" on both sides with 2 strong mounting bolts) and lower height for an appx 1/3 cowitness.

The RX30 itself is of usual Trijicon high quality with the large 42mm objective first catching your attention. This provides a very large FOV through the optic, allowing for very fast reticle/target acquisition & engagement while also being very forgiving of sloppy cheekweld when shooting from awkward positions. At first glance it appears to make the optic appear much larger than the usual Eotechs and 30mm Aimpoints but when placed side-by-side the size difference is minimal.

Weight with mount is appx 12oz, again very comparable to Eotechs & 30mm Aimpoints.

The "hood" ghosts very well with no switches or battery compartments to intrude on peripheral vision.

The lens has a bluish tint with good color rendition (most colors just appear slightly darker) that doesn't interfere with using the optic in any lighting condtion I encountered.

The reticle is a 6.5moa amber dot which is great for CQB and out to 200m but 300m is doable with care. In very bright sunlight the reticle is very bright to the point of blooming slightly (unlike the Meprolight M21's reticle which stays crisp at all times). While the RX34 is identical except for a 4.5moa dot, I believe Trijicon's triangle reticle would be a superior reticle for the RX30, combining both speed and precision.

W/E adjustments are very positive with both tactile and audible clicks (1moa @ 100yds), adjustments being made with the included hex wrench or a cartridge rim.

I've tested or used the RX30 in as many different lighting conditions I could come up with, including from inside a darkened business basement looking out to a flourescent-lit hallway, inside a completely darkened garage looking out a side door 20' away into bright sunlight, from a covered dock during various daylight hours, inside a darkened room looking out an 18"x24" window into bright sunlight to nightshoots using a 160-lumen taclight at close range.

The only times I could get the reticle to wash out completely were from the darkened room out into bright sunlight and using the taclight close-in at night (appx 5yds or less). All other times reticle brightness varied from very bright to somewhat dim (but still very usable).

My solution for the taclight washout issue is a folding front sight with an extended front sight post (extended to compensate for the 1/3 cowitness height). While not adjustable for windage, elevation can be adjusted so using the front sight and the RX30 as a giant ghost ring rear sight allows for good/fast COM hits at the close ranges where the reticle washes out from the taclight. Or, a full set of BUIS could be used for all lighting conditions where the reticle washes out.

RX30 pros: Very KISS (no batteries, switches, adjustments or electronics to worry about), self-adjusting to most ambient light levels, very rugged/reliable, very fast.
RX30 cons: Possible reticle washout under certain lighting conditions, 6.5moa dot not well-suited for precision or distance shots, open emitter tunnel could conceivably collect dirt/snow/debris that would kill the reticle until the emitter tunnel is cleared.

Bottom line: IMHO, the RX30 (or the 4.5moa RX34) is the best KISS optic currently available as long as one understands and is comfortable with the optic's limitations.

ETA: A very pricey ($100+) ARD Killflash is available which I tested. It does an excellent job of eliminating reflections from the 42mm objective lens, but it does little to reduce reticle washout.

Link Posted: 12/11/2011 9:13:13 PM EDT
[#2]
•Model used; Trijicon TA31F
•Length of service; 4 months
•Firearms used on; AR15 with a BCM CHF Midlength upper W/DD FF Lite rail and a PSA M4 HF upper.
•Number of rounds; About 600 M855
•Anything else that is pertinent; Equipped with Killflash, external adjustment turrets and caps with steel cable lanyard. Easy to use I wish all optics came with these things.
•Any problems encountered and customer service experience; No problems, Zeroed at 100 yards with the appropriate part of the reticle for ranging. Was hitting a 4" diameter target from prone, standing and kneeling with the FF upper. As with any optic a pre zero with a laser is recommended to maximize your round use for live fire zero. Optic returned to zero with minimal POI shift to the left (sub 3 inches at 100 yards) when taken off and put back on.

My first Tijicon and I like it! Easy to use, easy to zero, battle tested, the exact same as my issued optic. Eye relief is the chief complaint with these when using a fixed A2 stock. But I think the positives negate the negatives with the ACOG.

I plan on purchasing at least a few more trijicon products.
Link Posted: 12/11/2011 9:36:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Models Used:
TA01
TA01B
TA01NSN
TA01-ECOS
TA11F
TA31
TA31F
TA31-DOC
TA31F-DOC
TA31-ECOS

Length of services:
Been using various models since 2006, have owned individual ACOGs for over 2 years.

Firearms used on:
M4 type rifles, M16A4 type rifles, AR10s, LMT MWS, SBR AR15s.

Other notes:
I primarily use the 4x ACOG models as I prefer them over the other variants.  The 3.5x models have longer eye relief, but are larger and heavier.  The 5.5 and 6 power models are very large and very expensive.  I find that the 1.5x models were just enough magnification to slow me down over a reflex sight, but not enough magnification to help me.

The 4x ACOG provides an excellent rugged combat optic in a small package.  However I have often seen people buy ACOGs for the wrong reasons.  If you are looking for an ideal optic for competition or precision shooting, you will most likely want something else.  If the majority of your shooting is under 100 yards you may be better suited with a different optic.

ACOGs come in two major reticle configurations.  There is a more standard crosshair with a Bullet Drop Chart (BDC), and then there are bright illuminated Chevrons, Donuts, Triangles, and Horseshoes with BDCs.  Each have their own pros and cons.   I used to prefer the illuminated chevron as I used BAC and would shoot with both eyes open.  I found this to be fast and easy.  I didn't like the standard crosshair models because when I shot at black bullseyes, the crosshair would disappear in the black for me.  There are a few hybrid models with an illuminated crosshair.  The TA31-DOC (now TA31-RMR) and the TA31-ECOS have a crosshair and fiberoptic to illuminate part of the center of the crosshair.  Lately this has become my favorite setup, but I can't really explain why.
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 12:05:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Model used: Trijicon TR-24 with red triangle in a LaRue mount
Length of service: 9 months
Firearms used on: AR-15 M4 clone with 16" barrel, carbine gas system
Number of rounds: 500 rounds
Anything else that is pertinent: See below

The Good: The TR-24 is a solid scope. It is well made and holds zero well in conjunction with my LaRue mount (I swap it for an Aimpoint from time to time). I shoot mostly 100 yards in, and with my crappy eyes, it is really helpful to have 4x magnification on smaller targets beyond 50 yards. The exit pupil is quite large, larger than other scopes in its class costing far more (S&B short dot, Swarvoski, etc.). The glass is very clear, and the daytime illumination with the red triangle is very bright. It is almost like running an Aimpoint on 1x. I don't think the weight is much of an issue, at least on my gun where I run a DD 12" hanguard with a Magpul M93A2 stock that balances the gun out well. I took it to a Vickers Carbine class last June with great success.

The Bad: This scope is useless at night. Period. The illumination from the tritium is not bright enough to use effectively at night. This is where something like a S&B short dot shines, and of course, an Aimpoint rules over all others when it comes to night time use. The only other issue with this scope is that it lacks a bullet drop compensating reticle; if you shoot beyond 200 yards, this will be an issue for you no doubt, and you'll have to look elsewhere until Trijicon changes their reticle to something like the TA-11 or TA-31 crosshair or chevron reticles.
Link Posted: 12/12/2011 10:31:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Augee] [#5]
  • Model used

• TA31F

• Length of service

• Bought used, owned personally since early 2007

• Firearms used on

• M16A2 / M4 Carbine clone / M4 Carbine / M16A4 clone

• Number of rounds

• Unknown - exceeds 5,000 rounds

• Anything else that is pertinent

• Bought for deployment.  Used throughout pre-mobilization training and other military training, including extensive use as individual optic in armored vehicles to include M1A1 Abrams MBT, Stryker vehicles, and M1025 HMMWV operations.  Used overseas personally for one month - found the chevron reticule and fiber optic setup to be inferior for my purposes, particularly at night.  I just personally prefer crosshairs setups, and felt the need for a piggybacked MRD.  Used until my TA01NSN / TRD (described below) arrived from Rainier Arms.  After my TA01NSN arrived, it was lent to a fellow soldier in my platoon, and used on his rifle for the remainder of the tour without issue.  Currently used on my M16A4 clone because it's "correct."  Debating removing it and re-installing on a Block 2 M4A1 SOPMOD clone to give the TA31F a fresh "chance" to impress me.  This and the one below certainly sold me on the durability of the ACOG, however.  

• Any problems encountered and customer service experience.

• No customer service has been required throughout its service life.  

• Model used

• TA01NSN with Trijicon Red Dot (lisenced JPoint)

• Length of service

• Bought new in late 2007

• Firearms used on

• M4 Carbine / M4 / M4A1 Clones

• Number of rounds

• Unknown - exceeds 5,000 rounds, probably closer to 10, all told.  

• Bought during deployment from Rainier Arms because TA31F reticule did not suit me and my needs - particularly as better than 1/3 of operations were nighttime operations and observation posts.  TA31F particularly useless inside dark caves.  TRD cover was lost within a week of service.  Batteries replaced every two months whether needed or not.  Used JP Enterprises winged mount.  Upon returning to CONUS, it was my primary optic and continued to be used on "hard use" training rifles.  Used for part of another pre-deployment training cycle, but replaced with SU-230/PVS-C (ELCAN SpecterDR) during training.  Accompanied me overseas as "backup optic," but not needed as the ELCAN worked fine.  Even in the winged mount, the TRD received a great deal of abuse - both from environmental (rain, mud, ect.) and impact.  Was deemed NMC in early summer of 2009.  Replaced by Trijicon (see below).  

• After arguably excessive abuse, the TRD would not hold power, and the red dot was basically invisible under all but the darkest conditions.  Trijicon was contacted, and immediately issued an RMA with pre-paid shipping label for repair.  The most onerous part of the experience was having to go to a UPS store to ship the TRD back to Michigan.  Upon receiving the TRD, Trijicon determined that it was damaged beyond repair and promptly shipped a brand new replacement - with the full case and kit (I had only sent them the broken sight) at no charge.  I'm kind of sad they didn't let me keep the broken one for sentimental reasons.  Otherwise, the only way Trijicon could have made it easier for me would have been to send a UPS guy to my house to package and pick it up.  

• Model used

• TA01NSN with JPoint

• Length of service

• Bought used, owned personally since 2008

• Firearms used on

• M4 and M4A1 clones

• Number of rounds

• Unknown - probably under 5,000 rounds

• Purchased as "back-up" for the above under the "two is one, one is none philosophy."  Has not been as extensively used as the previous two, though it has done good service and made itself useful as a secondary and backup optic.  

• No customer service has been required throughout its service life.  

~Augee
    Link Posted: 12/12/2011 11:27:39 AM EDT
    [#6]
    Looking for opinions on the TA44SR-10 or TA44SG-10. It seems like the ideal optic to go on a fixed carry handle carbine. Wondering if anyone has used one and can relate some experience with it. Also opinions on green or red illumination would be appreciated.
    Link Posted: 12/17/2011 11:09:09 AM EDT
    [#7]
    Model: TA31F (RCO)
    Reticle: Red Chevron
    Firearm: USMC issued M4 Carbine and personally owned S&W M&P15
    Number of rounds:  15,000-18,000

Amazing optic.  IMO nothing else needs be used on an AR rifle.  I have accurately hit targets up to 500 yds out.  Can easily be used with the both-eyes-open technique up to 300 yards extremely accurately.  With plenty of practice you can quickly acquire targets in CQB situations.  The main issue with targets within 50 yds is parallax, but again can be overcome with proper practice.  I have never had an issue with durability seeing as I have banged one around pretty hard throughout 3 deployments with the same optic and it held zero.  Me and my team were able to get our USMC issued M4's to shoot at 1 MOA with the ACOG and that's where or zero stayed throughout multiple deployments, CQB ranges, tactical ranges, and over 100 combat patrols.  Never had an issue with the ACOG and would recommend it to any rifle owner I come across. Semper Fi

Sgt C.

Link Posted: 12/17/2011 11:38:24 AM EDT
    [#8]
    Model: Accupoint TR24R
    Reticle: Red Triangle Post
    Host Weapons: Colt M4, POF !4.5 Mid length 6.8SPC, Rainier Arms Custom RUC
    Rounds: 2000+
    Mount: ADM RECON-X, Larue LT104-30

I first saw this optic at a gunshow and it immediately impressed me. I really liked the fact it used no batteries and it was built like an a acog with adjustable magnification. If took me a while to get over the price tag but when i did finally pick one up I've never looked back.

Since buying this optic I've put over 2000 rounds of 556 down range and about another 250 rounds of 6.8SPC with a second TR24R i bought used. Both scopes have performed flawlessly and I've never had any issues with them and of course the larue and adm mounts are super solid. I had never used a true 1-4 power scope before owning these and its made me a believer. If you can get over the price, its definitely a great scope to have and its multi role uses can't be beat.

Ive taken my 6.8SPC out deer and hog hunting, deer in WA and hogs in TX, and even with getting banged around riding all day in the rhino or in the cab of a truck its always shrugged it off and kept soldiering on. Very impressed and I'm sure these won't be the only trijicon products ill buy.
    Link Posted: 12/17/2011 12:25:19 PM EDT
    [#9]
    Model used: RX-06-11 Reflex II, Amber 12.5MOA Triangle
    Length of service: 8-12 Months
    Firearms used on: AR15 SBR
    Number of rounds: 1K +/-
    Anything else that is pertinent: I'm using the standard RX-11 Weaver base mount instead of the higher 1/3 cowitnes RX-14 mount. I prefer the optic to be centerline with my sights rather than having my BUIS low. Personal preference thing.
    Any problems encountered and customer service experience: None (Have not contacted Trijicon CS)

I run the RX-06-11 Reflex II model on one of my AR SBRs that I don't regularly shoot a lot. For that reason alone I wanted an optic that had no batteries to worry about being dead when I would pull it out of the safe every now and then. I originally looked at the newer RX-30 model but I just didn't like the girth it had. I was trying to keep this SBR as small and compact as possible and the RX-30 just felt like mounting a huge floodlight on the top. The RX-06 model that I bought is the Amber 12.5MOA Triangle sight and not one of the RX-01 standard circle dot sights. I wanted one of the chevron models but could not find one at a decent price when I was shopping so I figured the triangle shape would be a good substitute. It allows fast general target acquisition but at the same time the top point of the triangle could be used for semi-precise shooting if need be. The sight is very light weight (not sure of actual weight with the mount and polarizer installed) and unobtrusive. In the hand it feels like one big solid ingot of metal with no protruding switches, buttons or knobs to fiddle with... all it really has in the way of controls are the two inset adjustment screws, which have very solid clicks when adjusted and made the sight easy to sight in. The optic itself is blue-hued, which allows the amber reticle to pop a bit more.

Shooting it both eyes open makes hitting short to medium range targets a breeze. The amber triangle is clear and bright in normal daytime and nighttime lighting conditions on the range. The light gathering fiber optics on the front combined with the tritium element are supposed to ensure the amber triangle is at just the right brightness all the time. The caveat however is that if you are inside a dark structure looking out into a very bright area or at very light colored target the reticle washes out pretty easily. This is a pretty well known issue with these optics and one that I "expected". The "fix" for this is to adjust the polarizing filter accessory. This polarizing filter basically "tints" the optic from open to closed to try and bring the reticle out in washout conditions. The problem with this solution is that in very bright washout spots you sometimes need to crank the filter all the way to black, which then more or less turns the sight into an occluded eye type sight like the old Son Tay raider optics. It works like this, but if you are not used to using an occluded eye type sight then you might have some trouble with it in this state. Another possible down side for serious field users (of who I am not) is that the light gathering fiber optics on the front of the RX-06 feel like a huge reflective motorcycle headlight. Even with the polarizing filter attached the light gatherer is pretty flashy. And a very quick note on the polarizing filter, be very careful when installing it as it is made of pretty flimsy feeling materials and the threads on the optic and it are so fine that cross-threading it is very easy to do. As such I would recommend that if you intend to use the filter then "set it and forget it", don't bother taking it on and off as you will get very frustrated.

In the end the RX-01/6 is kind of an outmoded optic, replaced by the newer RX-30. But some folks out there like me might prefer it due to it's smaller size and option for a triangle or chevron reticle instead of the default dot the RX-30 has. It does have washout issues in certain conditions but it's polarizing filter is more or less adequate for mitigating those problems. Is it on par with an Aimpoint? Sort of. A lot of people will balk at the washout problem but I personally feel the lack of batteries, the lack of controls to fiddle with and the polarizing filter reduce the downside of the washout. But if you want a larger optic more on par with the sight picture you'd see with an EOTech, then go for the RX-30 instead.
    Link Posted: 12/17/2011 9:31:10 PM EDT
    [#10]
    Looking for 3-9x40 Accupoint TR20-2G reviews.  This is the mil dot reticule version.
    Link Posted: 12/17/2011 10:09:56 PM EDT
    [Last Edit: Ohio_Bill] [#11]

MODEL: TR24G

MOUNT: LaRue SPR-E

RETICULE: green triangle on post

LENGTH OF SERVICE: coming up on 2 years

ROUND COUNT: ~1000

RIFLE: 16" carbine built from a DPMS lower, Sabre Defense-barreled upper (from PK Firearms)

PROBLEMS: none

The green triangle reticule is very nice.  Even in overcast conditions, the fiber optics gather enough light to make the triangle a brilliant, emerald green.  In no way does the triangle blend in with background foliage.  I like the fact that there are no batteries to run down, no power switch to worry about.  

Link Posted: 12/17/2011 10:38:56 PM EDT
    [#12]
    Originally Posted By lilMAC25:
    Looking for 3-9x40 Accupoint TR20-2G reviews.  This is the mil dot reticule version.

Model used: Trijicon AccuPoint TR20-2G
    Length of service: 4 Months
    Firearms used on: LWRC M6-SPR MOD 0
    Number of rounds: 300 - 400
    Anything else that is pertinent: Mounted in a LaRue LT-104 Mount
    Problems: None whatsoever.

Overall fit and finish of the scope is great. Smooth focus ring is of the European style, and the magnification ring is very smooth as well. Glass is very nice. At night the very small center of the Mil-Dot reticle is hard to see unless your eyes are well adjusted. During the day, the illumination is pretty good, but it certainly doesn't jump out there at you the way the bigger reticles on the ACOGs do. The illuminated portion of the dot is VERY small, and I'd say its about 1 MOA. The capped turrets can be reset to zero, and adjustments are 1/4 MOA per click.

The scope is also a Second Focal Plane scope, so one must be aware that when zeroing it, or using the Mil-Dot reticle for range readings, you must be at 9x magnification, or have a ballistics program that compensates for which magnification your on. The one on my Droid Phone is excellent for that.

I wish I had more to say about it, but it does what its supposed to do. The glass is clear, fit and finish is great, and it requires no batteries.
    Link Posted: 12/22/2011 11:05:52 PM EDT
    [Last Edit: eviljoe] [#13]
    Looking for opinions on the TA44SR-10 or TA44SG-10. It seems like the ideal optic to go on a fixed carry handle carbine. Wondering if anyone has used one and can relate some experience with it. Also opinions on green or red illumination would be appreciated.

Model used: Trijicon TA44SR-10
    Length of service: 8 months
    Firearms used on: Colt 6920
    Number of rounds: 500-750
    Anything else that is pertinent: Mounted in a LaRue LT-105 mini-acog mount
    Problems: None.

I've owned a TA01NSN, TA33 (red chevron) and now this little bugger.  All have been perfect.  Though I may have to sell it due to overspending on x-mas, this is my favorite optic of all time (NOTE:  for my uses––which is 20Y to 200Y).  I knew 1.5X was plenty fast in the short to midrange having used Steyr Augs back in the 90s, but I worried it would be a lot slower than my Eotech XPS or my T1....for me, it's a wash.  I'm not the fastest guy on the block, and the BAC doesn't seem to work for me, but somehow my right eye takes over shooting fast at >25Y.  I think inside a house, the red dots WOULD be faster for me IF I used them; however, on indoor test-runs, I've found myself using my light, laser and point shooting in the 5-15ft range.  The 1.5X really helped me get tight groups at 100Y for the first time (I don't know if thats because of the astigmatism being negated by the glass (which not only makes a crisp dot, but also brightens the sight picture AND makes 100Y appear 66Y away)).  I read about all these people shooting 1-2" 100Y groups with their red-dots, but I generally shot 7-8".  With the TA44 I'm generally doing 4" groups, give or take an inch.  For a 14.5-16 inch barrel I think it's a great sight.  IF it was a 10-12" barrel or all I did was CQB, I'd go with a red dot; if my barrel was longer, I might go with more magnification.  But as is, I love this sight.  NOTE: RETICLE COLORS ARE DEFINITELY A MATTER OF PREFERENCE.  I was shocked how much I liked the amber inside the store, and the green looking out the store windows...red came in second on most all my tests, but amber or green were first or third––so I compromised and went with red.  Only 3 trips to the range and some backyard fun, but I'm glad I went with this sight.  I think it's utility as a .223/5.56 sight is underrated––the FOV rocks and the eye-relief is huge and forgiving.  At 1.5X, I just wish it was half the price of a 3X acog!
    Link Posted: 12/23/2011 9:56:36 AM EDT
    [Last Edit: AustinWolv] [#14]

• TR24G

• 3 months

• 16" RRA AR15, scope mounted in Larue SPR-E

• <500

• This scope is no longer in my collection.  The scope was mounted and zero'd at 4X.  However, at 1X, the scope did not have the same POI as 4X, as it was hitting 13" right and 5" high.  Obviously, that is a drastic difference between 1X and 4X.  When back at 4X, POI was exactly where wanted again.  Scope was sent into Trijicon and went into their blackhole of service for a number of weeks.  I believe it was about 8 weeks, at which time I moved on to a different scope due to needing my rifle up and running.  The TR24G was used briefly at the range to see how I liked the scope however before sending it in.  Used it in bright daylight conditions, as well as no-light night conditions.  It worked well in both.  The green triangle is great for fast target acquisition, and I used it easily out to 300 yards.  However, past that 300 yards, I was not comfortable with "guessing" at holdovers, as I'm not a big fan of stopping to dial the turrets.  This product would have been well-served to have some sort of BDC reticule, but for a scope 0-300 yards, the simplicity and bright triangle are great.  The glass on the scope is "eh".  It was decently clear, but had some distortion near the edges and was a touch hazy overall compared to the scope I use now.  For the price, the TR24G isn't really worth it in my opinion.  The only benefit is no batteries really.

• I was not impressed or satisfied with Trijicon's service.  The returned, repaired scope did not have technical detail on what was wrong with it.  The wait time was long.  When I called them about an estimated completion date, they had no idea.  I specifically requested they contact me as I needed the scope back by a certain date, which never happened.  Understand they have a lot of product out on the market and plenty of customers to deal with, but their internal repair tracking system is weak in that it doesn't allow them to see status of a repair according to the service guy I talked to...........

Link Posted: 9/14/2012 10:42:23 AM EDT
    [#15]
    Questions:

Can someone please explain the nomenclature of the Compact ACOG to me?

This is what I've put together so far, so correct me if I'm wrong:

There are two different compact versions that I've seen. The length being the obvious difference.

The TA47 (long) and the TA44 (short).

Is the TA47 a x2 magnification and the TA44 a 1.5x magnification? Is that the reason for the length difference?

Does the TA47 have three different reticle options (triangle, dot, crosshair) in two different color options (red and yellow)?

Does the TA44 have have four different reticles options (triangle, dot,
    crosshair, and special circle) in three different color options (red,
    yellow and green)?

Or do they both have the same of everything?

The difference in the numbers after the "TA**-" I have no idea if they indicate the reticle type/color?

Two different base house types: Low and M16 charging handle? The higher
    one (M16) seems to be the most common from what I'm seeing. Is this one
    better so you get a little height off the mount and rails?

If the reticle isn't illuminated, does it show up at all? I have a
    Leupold MkIV CQ/T. The reticle is fixed so if it's not turned on you
    still have something. Is the Compact ACOG also like this?

Link Posted: 9/14/2012 11:43:31 AM EDT
    [Last Edit: RandyStacyE] [#16]
    Originally Posted By pathfinder74:
    Questions:

Can someone please explain the nomenclature of the Compact ACOG to me?
    This is what I've put together so far, so correct me if I'm wrong:

There are two different compact versions that I've seen. The length being the obvious difference.
    The TA47 (long) and the TA44 (short).
    Is the TA47 a x2 magnification and the TA44 a 1.5x magnification? Is that the reason for the length difference?

Does the TA47 have three different reticle options (triangle, dot, crosshair) in two different color options (red and yellow)?
    Does the TA44 have have four different reticles options (triangle, dot, crosshair, and special circle) in three different color options (red, yellow and green)?
    Or do they both have the same of everything?

The difference in the numbers after the "TA**-" I have no idea if they indicate the reticle type/color?

Two different base house types: Low and M16 charging handle? The higher one (M16) seems to be the most common from what I'm seeing. Is this one better so you get a little height off the mount and rails?

If the reticle isn't illuminated, does it show up at all? I have a Leupold MkIV CQ/T. The reticle is fixed so if it's not turned on you still have something. Is the Compact ACOG also like this?

I'm sure the length difference is all part of physics behind the design. If they could make a TA11 short, light, more compact yet still have 3.5x, fiber optic and tritium ... I'm sure they would do it.

ACOGs have an etched reticle so you will see it whether it is illuminated or not.
    Link Posted: 9/17/2012 4:24:05 PM EDT
    [#17]
    Am I right on the magnification though?
    One has 2x and one has 1.5x?
    Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
    AR Sponsor: bravocompany
    Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
    Top Top