Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/12/2016 12:47:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Molon]
Wolf Gold 55 grain FMJ Accuracy and Velocity

Attachment Attached File

When most shooters hear the phrase “Wolf ammunition,” what usually comes to mind is steel-cased rounds loaded with bi-metal jacketed bullets.  Fortunately, the 55 grain FMJ “Wolf Gold” ammunition that is manufactured in Taiwan does not fit this description.  

The Wolf Gold ammunition reviewed for this report uses brass cases with the annealing iris still visible and is loaded with typical copper jacketed/lead core bullets.  The 55 grain projectile has a cannelure and there is a collet crimp at the case mouth.  The case mouth is also sealed with asphalt sealant.  The brass case has crimped and sealed boxer primers and the round is charged with ball powder.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

When most shooters hear the phrase “55 grain FMJ,” what usually comes to mind is M193 ammunition. The velocity specification for M193 as cited in MIL-C-9963F states:

The average velocity of the sample cartridges, conditioned at 72 degrees, plus or minus 2 degrees Fahrenheit (F), shall be 3165 feet per second (ft/sec), plus or minus 40 ft/sec, at 78 feet from the muzzle of the weapon.  The standard deviation of the velocities shall not exceed 40 ft/sec.

The specification is for a 20” barrel.  Depending on multiple variables, this velocity specification equates to a muzzle velocity of approximately 3270 FPS, plus or minus 40 FPS.  I chronographed the Wolf Gold 55 grain FMJ ammunition from a semi-automatic AR-15 with a chrome-lined, NATO chambered 20” Colt M16A2 barrel.

Attachment Attached File

Chronographing was conducted using an Oehler 35-P chronograph with “proof screen” technology. The Oehler 35P chronograph is actually two chronographs in one package that takes two separate chronograph readings for each shot and then has its onboard computer analyze the data to determine if there is any statistically significant difference between the two readings.  If there is, the chronograph “flags” the shot to let you know that the data is invalid.  There was no invalid data flagged during this testing.

The velocity stated below is the muzzle velocity as calculated from the instrumental velocity using Oehler’s Ballistic Explorer software program. The string of fire consisted of 10 rounds over the chronograph.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Each round was single-loaded and cycled into the chamber from a magazine fitted with a single-load follower. The bolt locked-back after each shot allowing the chamber to cool in between each shot. This technique was used to mitigate the possible influence of “chamber-soak” on velocity data. Each new shot was fired in a consistent manner after hitting the bolt release.  Atmospheric conditions were monitored and recorded using a Kestrel 4000 Pocket Weather Tracker.

Attachment Attached File

Atmospheric conditions.

Temperature:  77 degrees F
Humidity:  40%
Barometric pressure:  30.12 inches of Hg
Elevation:  950 feet above sea level

The muzzle velocity for the 10-shot string of the Wolf Gold 55 grain FMJ ammunition was 3213 FPS with a standard deviation of 25 FPS. For comparison, IMI M193 had a muzzle velocity of 3274 FPS when fired from the same barrel, with a standard deviation of 18 FPS.

The accuracy specification for M193 cited in MIL-C-9963F is as follows:

The average of the mean radii of all targets of the sample cartridges, fired at 200 yards, shall not exceed 2.0 inches.

These averages are from 10-shot groups fired from machine rested, bolt-actioned test barrels.  All things being equal  this specification equates to a mean radius of 1 inch at 100 yards for 10-shot groups.

I conducted an accuracy (technically, precision) evaluation of the Wolf Gold 55 grain FMJ ammunition following my usual protocol.  This accuracy evaluation used statistically significant shot-group sizes and every single shot in a fired group was included in the measurements. There was absolutely no use of any Group Reduction Techniques (e.g. fliers, target movement, Butterfly Shots).

The shooting set-up will be described in detail below. As many of the significant variables as was practicable were controlled for. Also, a  control group was fired from the test-rifle used in the evaluation using match-grade, hand-loaded ammunition; in order to demonstrate the capability of the barrel. Pictures of shot-groups are posted for documentation.

All shooting was conducted from a concrete bench-rest from a distance of 100 yards (confirmed with a laser rangefinder.) The barrel used in the evaluation was free-floated. The free-float handguards of the rifle rested in a Sinclair Windage Benchrest, while the stock of the rifle rested in a Protektor bunny-ear rear bag. Sighting was accomplished via a Leupold VARI-X III set at 25X magnification and adjusted to be parallax-free at 100 yards. A mirage shade was used. Wind conditions on the shooting range were continuously monitored using a Wind Probe. The set-up was very similar to that pictured below.

Attachment Attached File

The Wind Probe.

Attachment Attached File

The test vehicle for this evaluation was one of my semi-automatic precision AR-15s with a 20” stainless-steel Lothar Walther barrel.  The barrel has a 223 Wylde chamber with a 1:8” twist.

Attachment Attached File

Prior to firing the Wolf Gold ammunition, I fired a 10-shot control group using match-grade hand-loads topped with the Sierra 55 grain BlitzKing.  That group had an extreme spread of 0.78”.

Attachment Attached File

Next, three 10-shot groups of the Wolf Gold were fired in a row with the resulting extreme spreads:

2.13”
2.60”
2.44”

for a 10-shot group average extreme spread of 2.39”.  The three 10-shot groups were over-layed on each other using RSI Shooting Lab to form a 30-shot composite group.  The mean radius for the 30-shot composite group was 0.76”.

The smallest 10-shot group.

Attachment Attached File

The 30-shot composite group.

Attachment Attached File

….
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 2:08:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow. That stuff performed pretty well. Any extra fouling over other  M193 type loads?
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 7:33:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for posting this information.  I appreciate the work you went to in order to give us this.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 10:44:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Molon,

I have been enjoying all of the posts you have been making recently.

You could write professionally for the gun rags if you ever so chose.  

Matter of fact your posts are better than almost anything I have ever read in any commercial publication.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 11:01:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Molon,

Did you happen to shoot any of this through your 16" Colt HBAR? I'm interested how it would stack up to the M855 and M193 clones you compared here:

As always, thank you for this report! I have found that Wolf Gold is great ammo for training/plinking. Relativity cheap, and it shots well.

Link Posted: 1/12/2016 11:09:57 AM EDT
[#5]
that's right in line with what I was seeing with Wolf Gold out of my AUG-A1

Link Posted: 1/12/2016 11:19:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks Molon, been waiting for this.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 11:50:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Wolf Gold is enough M193-like for me! Thanks Molon!
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 11:56:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Good info, thanks for the effort.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 11:56:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Nice write-up, thanks.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 11:57:37 AM EDT
[#10]
I bought and shot 500 rounds of wolf gold when it first came out (or first saw it). I have had no issues.

Before that I shot PMC Bronze 55gr. Good stuff also.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 12:14:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Excellent work Molon, your efforts are appreciated!

Link Posted: 1/12/2016 12:26:16 PM EDT
[#12]
For the price you simply cannot beat this stuff for range ammo and stacking deep. I can't believe the secret isn't really out yet. I no of no where locally I can buy this stuff. I have always ordered it, and will continue to do so.
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 12:54:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I really enjoy reading your reviews. Have been very curious about the Wolf Gold.

How do you rate the quality of the brass for reloading?

Thank you sir!

Link Posted: 1/12/2016 1:00:45 PM EDT
[#14]
How do you come out with multiples of these articles every day? Bankroll pics/data over the summer and let loose?  Extremely impressive!
Link Posted: 1/12/2016 4:49:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Click2Boom:
How do you come out with multiples of these articles every day? Bankroll pics/data over the summer and let loose?  Extremely impressive!
View Quote

It really is amazing, was wondering the same thing myself.

Link Posted: 1/12/2016 8:37:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for all of your effort you put into these posts.
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 1:50:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Molon, have you ever tested Tul?
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 7:22:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/13/2016 9:34:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Didn't take a picture, but right in line with my results with a SR-15e3 mod 1. 2.5 ish MOA, even spread of shots.
Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:09:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By MeatBag:

View Quote

Possibly . . .

The Wolf of Truth

Link Posted: 1/14/2016 11:39:35 PM EDT
[#21]
I guess my rifles like wolf Gold. I consistently get 1.5-1.8 MOA with all my rifles and wolf gold.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 12:14:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Molon:

Possibly . . .

The Wolf of Truth

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MeatBag:

Possibly . . .

The Wolf of Truth

I'm glad it wasn't just my marksmanship
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 10:53:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Mine shoots it pretty well too out of a 5.56mm 1:8 twist Rock Creek barrel
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 12:12:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By BigHunt:
Molon,

I have been enjoying all of the posts you have been making recently.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/16/2016 1:04:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Molon

Very good read and very informative....Nice Job !!!

John
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 2:33:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Mclovinit:

Any extra fouling over other  M193 type loads?

View Quote

Not that I noticed in the sample sized that I tested.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 3:17:56 PM EDT
[#27]
So glad you are back posting again.
Link Posted: 1/17/2016 11:07:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By FALARAK:
View Quote

NOT ME!!!!  jk

stop posting about Wolf Gold before everyone starts buying it and it's relative 'cheap' price goes away...lol
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 12:15:29 AM EDT
[#29]
It's gone up $0.10 per box of 20 from when I ordered a few weeks ago.

Originally Posted By myhatinthering:

NOT ME!!!!  jk

stop posting about Wolf Gold before everyone starts buying it and it's relative 'cheap' price goes away...lol
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By myhatinthering:

NOT ME!!!!  jk

Link Posted: 1/19/2016 11:59:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By mcantu:

http://i62.tinypic.com/b67mrp.jpg
View Quote

That's some nice shooting for a 1.5X scope!
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 3:24:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Anybody chrono this stuff out of a 16"?
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 6:56:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/20/2016 7:17:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By MRW:
about 3050 fps from my 16"
View Quote

Cool thanks I'll have to pick some up and see if the Colt likes it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2016 1:02:51 AM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes

Thanks!

I did a small comparison between Wolf Gold and GECO using the AUG here...http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_16/682724_GECO_55gr_vs_Wolf_Gold.html

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 11:46:00 PM EDT
[#35]

Thanks!

I did a small comparison between Wolf Gold and GECO using the AUG here...http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_16/682724_GECO_55gr_vs_Wolf_Gold.html

View All Quotes

Thanks!

That GECO ammunition is quite remarkable for a 55 grain FMJ bullet, and again, you did a great job with just a 1.5X scope.

Link Posted: 1/24/2016 2:36:24 PM EDT
[#36]
I wish the Wolf Gold had just a bit more velocity.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 1:49:59 PM EDT
[#37]

That GECO ammunition is quite remarkable for a 55 grain FMJ bullet, and again, you did a great job with just a 1.5X scope.

View All Quotes

Thanks!

Thanks.

I keep hearing about how horrible bullpup triggers are but I'm just not seeing it with my AUG

Link Posted: 2/1/2016 8:26:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Molon] [#38]

Thanks.
I keep hearing about how horrible bullpup triggers are but I'm just not seeing it with my AUG

View All Quotes

Thanks!

Thanks.

The trigger on my USR was heavy, but it was smooth and crisp, kind of like a standard 1911 trigger.

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 12:03:51 AM EDT
[#39]
I'd been curious how accurate this ammo really is, I've probably shot 2-3K worth, but I very rarely have paper out, much less a decent shooting platform.  Its a hell of a lot of fun to shoot steel with, and I have several K more of it, as you can never have enough blasting ammo.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 2:08:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FALARAK] [#40]
Reporting my analysis of the Wolf Gold M193 projectile jackets on request in this thread:

Since there seems to be some conflicting data and opinions being spread about M193 jackets lately, I decided to a quick evaluation.

I took one sample from a lot of Wolf Gold (Taiwan), IMI M193, and Federal Lake City XM193.

The bullets were pulled and weighed. All showed signs of tar sealant at the bullet. This was cleaned off with a solvent to keep the bullet mass consistent with copper and lead only.

XM193: 54.7gr
IMI: 54.9gr
Wolf: 55.4gr

Note: The jacket on the Wolf Gold is "rolled" into the base, making it appear thicker. This is just a jacket design difference and has no relationship to jacket thickness.

The bullets were measured for length:

XM193: .738"
IMI: .743"
Wolf: .745"

Next, a jig was set up to melt the lead out of the jacket. The copper was heated until it was glowing using a propane torch. A visual inspection was done to ensure all lead was removed.

The jackets were then weighed for total jacket mass:

XM193: 17.4gr
IMI: 17.7gr
Wolf: 16.8gr

Note - that the Wolf Gold had the lightest jacket mass of the bunch.

The jackets where then cut in a cross section just above the cannelure. Visual inspection shows no discernable difference in jacket thickness:

The jackets where then measured in 4 places to determine avg jacket thickness, which was very consistent:

XM193: .0255"
IMI: .024"
Wolf: .023"

Conclusions:

Out of the three samples tested - Wolf Gold (Taiwan) has the lightest jacket, and the thinnest jacket out of all. Federal XM193 had the thickest jacket at the location measured. All of them were very close.

The real testing comes from ballistic gelatin testing, which should be available from another member soon. However, this should serve as a valid data point with regard to the jacket thickness postulations.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:49:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#41]
Looking forward to that!!!  I've got a buddy that keeps this as his stash.  When I asked him the other day, the assumption was this ammo was M193 spec.  Would be interesting to see if it performs as such.

Are you writing a book?  It would be a good read if so.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 12:00:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Reporting my analysis of the Wolf Gold M193 projectile jackets on request in this thread:

Since there seems to be some conflicting data and opinions being spread about M193 jackets lately, I decided to a quick evaluation.

I took one sample from a lot of Wolf Gold (Taiwan), IMI M193, and Federal Lake City XM193.

The bullets were pulled and weighed. All showed signs of tar sealant at the bullet. This was cleaned off with a solvent to keep the bullet mass consistent with copper and lead only.

XM193: 54.7gr
IMI: 54.9gr
Wolf: 55.4gr

http://kevinholman.com/pics/guns/ammo/m193/m193bullets.JPG

http://kevinholman.com/pics/guns/ammo/m193/m193bullets2.JPG

http://kevinholman.com/pics/guns/ammo/m193/m193bullets3.JPG

Note: The jacket on the Wolf Gold is "rolled" into the base, making it appear thicker. This is just a jacket design different and has no relationship to jacket thickness.

The bullets were measured for length:

XM193: .738"
IMI: .743"
Wolf: .745"

Next, a jig was set up to melt the lead out of the jacket. The copper was heated until it was glowing using a propane torch. A visual inspection was done to ensure all lead was removed.

http://kevinholman.com/pics/guns/ammo/m193/m193melt.jpg

The jackets were then weighed for total jacket mass:

XM193: 17.4gr
IMI: 17.7gr
Wolf: 16.8gr

Note - that the Wolf Gold had the lightest jacket mass of the bunch.

http://kevinholman.com/pics/guns/ammo/m193/m193jacketmass3.JPG

http://kevinholman.com/pics/guns/ammo/m193/m193jackmass2.JPG

http://kevinholman.com/pics/guns/ammo/m193/m193jacketmass.JPG

The jackets where then cut in a cross section just above the cannelure. Visual inspection shows no discernable difference in jacket thickness:

http://kevinholman.com/pics/guns/ammo/m193/m193cross.JPG

The jackets where then measured in 4 places to determine avg jacket thickness, which was very consistent:

XM193: .0255"
IMI: .024"
Wolf: .023"

http://kevinholman.com/pics/guns/ammo/m193/m193xm193jack.JPG

http://kevinholman.com/pics/guns/ammo/m193/m193imijack.JPG

http://kevinholman.com/pics/guns/ammo/m193/m193wolfjack.JPG

Conclusions:

Out of the three samples tested - Wolf Gold (Taiwan) has the lightest jacket, and the thinnest jacket out of all. Federal XM193 had the thickest jacket at the location measured. All of them were very close.

The real testing comes from ballistic gelatin testing, which should be available from another member soon. However, this should serve as a valid data point with regard to the jacket thickness postulations.

View Quote

Outstanding!  Thanks for your efforts and for sharing your data.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:27:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Oh geez. I thought that was your post Molon.  I didn't look close enough.  GREAT JOB FALARAK!!!!
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 2:27:45 AM EDT
[#44]
Thank you for that, FALARAK. Very interesting.

Seeing all three have a different cannelure impression I wonder how that translates to a propensity to fragment given that the jackets are relatively uniform.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 4:50:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Thank you Molon for all of your great ammunition reports. Your results, as well as those from other contributors, encouraged me to try some Wolf Gold in my first centerfire rifle, a PSA 16" Mid-length 5.56 NATO 1:7 Stainless Steel MOE Freedom Rifle Kit. I wish I could say the following 10 shot group was at 100yds, but it is only from 50 yds, so about 2 MOA. Thanks again for all of your informative reports.

Link Posted: 2/15/2016 8:55:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Great to hear I didn't waste my $ buying 5K rds of this when it was on sale for $295 shipped.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:55:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By fuzzy03cls:
Great to hear I didn't waste my $ buying 5K rds of this when it was on sale for $295 shipped.
View Quote
Why, what less expensive ammo performs better than this?
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 4:59:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Been a solid staple for a year now.

I need to order a case or three.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:49:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Jim85IROC:
View All Quotes

None - I did a side-by-side comp with Federal AE, Federal 556, PMC, X-Tac, Winchester white, and Wolf.  The Wolf out grouped them all at 100yds with ~1.5-2" groups vs. 3-4" with all the others.
Link Posted: 2/18/2016 5:57:06 PM EDT
[#50]
View All Quotes

I think he was being sarcastic (kicking himself).
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top