Warning

 

Close
Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Cancel Confirm
AR15.COM
11/26/2006 9:57:40 AM EDT
I am curious as to what it takes, and what are the steps for a career in the FBI. I have begun to look into it as a career choice and just wanted to know if you guys know anything about it. Should you be law enforcement first, or can one just go into the program with no law enforcement experience? Do you need to have a degree in criminal justice? What is a U.S. Marshall? What branch of law enforcement do they belong to? Thanks for any helpful advice.
11/26/2006 9:59:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you have any tattoos?
11/26/2006 10:00:46 AM EDT
[#2]
If you don't get a job worrking on the X-files, your a puss.
11/26/2006 10:01:54 AM EDT
[#3]
A degree in Criminal Justice is probably the last thing you want.

If you make it into the FBI, they will teach you how to be a Special Agent.

Get a degree with some specialization... accounting, computer science, physical sciences.

Certainly an advanced degree would help you, law school, MBA, advanced degree in any sciences.


A U.S. Marshall is a political appointee, appointed by the President.  A Deputy U.S. Marshall is the professional level job you would try for.

There's guys on the board who do these jobs, hopefully they'll chime in.
11/26/2006 10:04:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I looked into it in college but my eyesight was not up to it. Back then (80s) you basically needed either a law degree, CPA or something like 5 years of law enforcment experience and then they might talk to you.

As far what Marshalls do you can see that here www.usmarshals.gov/

Mostly stuff like transporting prisoners and providing security for courts.

if you watch long enough there's an AR with a cool paint job on that website, not sure about a bi-pod on an aimpoint equipped carbine though.
11/26/2006 10:04:47 AM EDT
[#5]
If your skills in investigation don't lead you to the FBI's FAQ on this, I don't think the FBI is for you.  
11/26/2006 10:15:31 AM EDT
[#6]


Check out www.fbi.gov.

11/26/2006 10:16:44 AM EDT
[#7]
I passed Phase I, Phase II, then failed the polygraph. I have military exoerience and a BS in Information Technology.
11/26/2006 10:17:27 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If your skills in investigation don't lead you to the FBI's FAQ on this, I don't think the FBI is for you.  


11/26/2006 10:22:19 AM EDT
[#9]
1.  A clean criminal conviction record (no misdemeanors or felonies, and no serious traffic offenses).  

2.  A clean credit report (no debts, even student loans are not received well).

3.  An advanced degree is better than just a four year degree, but a four year degree will do if your grades are say over a 3.0 GPA.

4.  Prior Military service or LEO service is a BIG plus.  

5.  You'll be put through a lie detector test and you better be 110% honest and hope that you can be about drug use (even smoking pot is a HUGE deal).  

Other than you just have to have a clean medical bill of health, pass some basic tests, and put together some refs.  In short, they'll know every single thing about you and you will no longer be a private citizen.
11/26/2006 10:22:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Among the things not often mentioned is career stability.  AT ONE TIME you had to be at your previous job for three years.  I don't know if that's still a requirement.  Also, they check your credit history along with your criminal record.  They have a wide variety of opennings - they are not only people with criminal justice or CPA backgrounds, but also folks with IT, linguistics, and medical backgrounds.  If you want to become a regular special agent, it helps to have been in law enforcement either at the municipal or state level first for a number of years.
11/26/2006 10:24:28 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Do you have any tattoos?
What difference does that make?
11/26/2006 10:29:04 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Do you have any tattoos?
What difference does that make?


Not much these days.  Under Hoover, it wouldn't fly, though.
11/26/2006 10:34:43 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Do you have any tattoos?
What difference does that make?


Not much these days.  Under Hoover, it wouldn't fly, though.
Under Hoover wearing colored shirts could end your career.

Odds are that a large number of agents have tattoos of some sort, particularly those coming from the military. The majority of Marines seem to have tattoos.  
11/26/2006 10:38:49 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I passed Phase I, Phase II, then failed the polygraph. I have military exoerience and a BS in Information Technology.



I still cant believe that they use the polygraph. It has been proven to be inaccurate and is not admissible in courts.
11/26/2006 10:39:43 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I passed Phase I, Phase II, then failed the polygraph. I have military exoerience and a BS in Information Technology.



I still cant believe that they use the polygraph. It has been proven to be inaccurate and is not admissible in courts.


It is held in very high regard by the FBI, NSA, CIA, and other agencies.
11/26/2006 10:41:25 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Do you have any tattoos?
What difference does that make?


My friend's dad applied to the FBI.  He had years of LEO experience, police captain, MA in psychology, and some tattoos.  The FBI DQ'd him over the tattoos.
11/26/2006 10:42:27 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Do you have any tattoos?
What difference does that make?


My friend's dad applied to the FBI.  He had years of LEO experience, police captain, MA in psychology, and some tattoos.  The FBI DQ'd him over the tattoos.


How long ago was this?  I think they have lightened up on that sort of thing - if the tatoos are not gang tattoos, etc.
11/26/2006 10:42:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Remember to shoot the little girl with the book on Quantum Theory. That will get you the job.
11/26/2006 10:43:12 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
If your skills in investigation don't lead you to the FBI's FAQ on this, I don't think the FBI is for you.  


+1, but I hear the ATF is hiring!
11/26/2006 10:49:28 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Do you have any tattoos?
What difference does that make?


My friend's dad applied to the FBI.  He had years of LEO experience, police captain, MA in psychology, and some tattoos.  The FBI DQ'd him over the tattoos.
Wow.

How long ago?

Do you know what they were and where they were located?
11/26/2006 10:50:19 AM EDT
[#21]
I went on a tour of the FBI HQ when I went to Wash DC.  And our guide said they they perfer a person with a degree in business with emphsis in acounting or computers, as they mainly deal with white collar crime, for that don't get into firefight very often such as the Miami shootout.  Acording to our guide the abitlity to shoot is not nearly as important to FBI agents as at the local PD level.  When you hit the magic age, it is mandatory retirement.  According to our guide, he said that  "you get moved around alot."  The guide also said that many former agents after they leave the Bureau, they go on to 2nd careers.  That is why you seen many former FBI agents in security positions.
11/26/2006 10:53:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Saturday night I was downtown
Working for the FBI
Sitting in a nest of bad men
Whiskey bottles piling high

Bootlegging boozer on the west side
Full of people who are doing wrong
Just about to call up the DA man
When I heard this woman singing a song

A pair of 45's made me open my eyes
My temperature started to rise
She was a long cool woman in a black dress
Just a 5-9 beautiful tall
With just one look I was a bad mess
'Cause that long cool woman had it all

I saw her heading to the table
Well a tall walking big black cat
When Charlie said I hope that you're able, boy
Well I'm telling you she knows where it's at
Well then suddenly we heard the sirens
And everybody started to run
Jumping under doors and tables
Well I heard somebody shooting a gun

Well the DA was pumping my left hand
And she was holding my right
Well I told her, "Don't get scared
'Cause you're gonna be spared"
Well I'm gonna be forgiven
If I wanna spend my living
With a long cool woman in a black dress
Just a 5-9 beautiful tall
With just one look I was a bad mess
'Cause that long cool woman had it all
Had it all, had it all, had it all...
11/26/2006 10:58:19 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Do you have any tattoos?
What difference does that make?


My friend's dad applied to the FBI.  He had years of LEO experience, police captain, MA in psychology, and some tattoos.  The FBI DQ'd him over the tattoos.


How long ago was this?  I think they have lightened up on that sort of thing - if the tatoos are not gang tattoos, etc.


Late 80's, and no they weren't gang tattoos, lol
11/26/2006 11:12:26 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Remember to shoot the little girl with the book on Quantum Theory. That will get you the job.


NICE!  MIB
11/26/2006 11:23:21 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I passed Phase I, Phase II, then failed the polygraph. I have military exoerience and a BS in Information Technology.



I still cant believe that they use the polygraph. It has been proven to be inaccurate and is not admissible in courts.


The FBI can forever suck my cock.  I passed everything, have the exact qualifications (graduate degree in accounting & multi-lingual, promoted to senior management in under 3 years in an auditing capacity for a major corp), but failed the polygraph.  Now they did not say what I "flunked" on, but apparently my response to the international espionage question was wacky, maybe I farted or something, because the agent examiner went off on it.  
Sucks, because I have built my life around this job and did absolutely nothing fucking wrong and answered everything truthfully.

SOOOO, if anyone from the FBI is reading this go fuck yourself, I make more money than you do anyway.

11/26/2006 11:42:25 AM EDT
[#26]
They can train just about anyone how to be a law enforcement agent.  What they want are intelligent people with critical degrees and skills to fight terrorism (and other federal crimes).  All the info is on their site.

A squeaky clean background is also necessary.  You will fill out an SF-86 for Top Secret clearance and they will do the whole investigation before you can get hired.
11/26/2006 1:05:36 PM EDT
[#27]
Enjoy the lifestyle questions on the polygraph.
"Have you ever had sex with a donkey?"
"What kind of a question is that?"
"Have you?"
"No!"
"Have you ever had sex with a chicken?"
Etc, etc

They really hate it when you burst out laughing.

Kharn
11/26/2006 1:14:28 PM EDT
[#28]
When you have 10s of thousands of people applying for a handful of jobs, you can be picky.

And they are.  They reject any applicant that is not a perfect applicant, then they select from that group.  It is a tough career field to make the cut... both FBI and U.S. Marshals Service.
11/26/2006 6:12:45 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I passed Phase I, Phase II, then failed the polygraph. I have military exoerience and a BS in Information Technology.



I still cant believe that they use the polygraph. It has been proven to be inaccurate and is not admissible in courts.


The FBI can forever suck my cock.  I passed everything, have the exact qualifications (graduate degree in accounting & multi-lingual, promoted to senior management in under 3 years in an auditing capacity for a major corp), but failed the polygraph.  Now they did not say what I "flunked" on, but apparently my response to the international espionage question was wacky, maybe I farted or something, because the agent examiner went off on it.  
Sucks, because I have built my life around this job and did absolutely nothing fucking wrong and answered everything truthfully.

SOOOO, if anyone from the FBI is reading this go fuck yourself, I make more money than you do anyway.




This reminds me of another guy who posted this same question a couple of years ago. His honesty in the process not only DQ'd him from employment but forever lingers to to DQ him should he ever have a shot at certain government clearances, even in the private sector.
11/26/2006 7:33:39 PM EDT
[#30]
I like that song!


Quoted:
Saturday night I was downtown
Working for the FBI
Sitting in a nest of bad men
Whiskey bottles piling high

Bootlegging boozer on the west side
Full of people who are doing wrong
Just about to call up the DA man
When I heard this woman singing a song

A pair of 45's made me open my eyes
My temperature started to rise
She was a long cool woman in a black dress
Just a 5-9 beautiful tall
With just one look I was a bad mess
'Cause that long cool woman had it all

I saw her heading to the table
Well a tall walking big black cat
When Charlie said I hope that you're able, boy
Well I'm telling you she knows where it's at
Well then suddenly we heard the sirens
And everybody started to run
Jumping under doors and tables
Well I heard somebody shooting a gun

Well the DA was pumping my left hand
And she was holding my right
Well I told her, "Don't get scared
'Cause you're gonna be spared"
Well I'm gonna be forgiven
If I wanna spend my living
With a long cool woman in a black dress
Just a 5-9 beautiful tall
With just one look I was a bad mess
'Cause that long cool woman had it all
Had it all, had it all, had it all...

Sign up to continue the discussion

Create a free account to share your thoughts, follow topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.

Already a member? Sign In