Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 7:43:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Might sound dumb to those who are SURE about their side in this argument, but a fairly significant reason that I bought all Echo stuff was so I never had to worry about that question.  Even run the Echo mix, so the bottle says 50:1 and the equipment manual calls for 50:1.
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 7:52:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Guys, I always just mix at what the oil bottle says.

The stuff I have says 32:1, so that is what I mix at.

ETA:  I never knew it mattered what the mfg said.

ETA again:  Oops, I see James does the oil bottle recommendation.......WHEW!!

ALL 2-cycle engines are created equal. Same clearances, same needle bearings, same skirt clearances, etc. Hell, most even share carburetors. These factors determine mix ratios. Now, since they are all the same, it boils down to the oil.

Keep in mind, we are not talking liquid cooled motorsports application 2-cycles.

I'm not sure where you are getting your information from James, but this is just flat out wrong.  

There are a nearly infinate number of differences from one two stroke engine to another.  Things off the top of my head like piston coatings (hard/soft anodized, moly silk screen, etc) and surface roughness, cylinder plating and roughness, thrust load and pressure, piston material and manufacturing method (cast, forged), bearing crown, bearing material, connrod coatings and material, bearing cage material and coatings, compression ratio, rings (cast iron or steel rings and/or moly coatings) droplet size and coalescence.  Not to mention more fundamental differences such as operational RPM, BMEP, BSFC, tuned exhaust or straight, piston port or reed valve, carb, efi, di, combustion temperature, piston profile and piston/bore clearance.  

2-strokes are very complex, yet very simple at the same time.  Simple in the fundamental way they operate, but very complex in understanding the nearly infinate number of variables that can drastically alter their performance.  All these variables have a huge effect on the ideal oil blend for the engine.  

2 stroke oils consist of a base stock, and then a large percentage of additives and detergents on top of that.  As I said earlier, OEM's go through great pains to custom tailor their oil to their engines.  They do this not only to make money on oil, but to increase performance and, most importantly, reduce warranty costs. Do not take this with a grain of salt and assume that "all 2-stroke engines are created equal."  I would recommend benefiting from all this work that has already been done for you, and buying the precise oil that the engine manufacturer recommends.  It's cheap insurance if nothing else.

So we should run the recommended oil in the recommended ratio per the engine manufacturer's suggestions?  

What's your take on the Amsoil 100:1 stuff?

I would recommend buying exactly what the manufacturer recommends and mixing it to thier ratio.

I'm not a huge fan of amsoil.  I ran it when I was a kid and raced motocross and never had any problems that I know of.  We've tested it and it actually never made it far enough to be field tested.  It was ruled out in our lab test and I can tell you in our particular application, it would have caused catastrophic failure in a very short time.  

These types of things are a huge concern for us as we really have no idea or way of proving that customers use a sub-par oil.  If an engine burns down under warranty because of it, we have to foot the bill.
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 8:46:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

ALL 2-cycle engines are created equal. Same clearances, same needle bearings, same skirt clearances, etc. Hell, most even share carburetors. These factors determine mix ratios. Now, since they are all the same, it boils down to the oil.

Keep in mind, we are not talking liquid cooled motorsports application 2-cycles.

I'm not sure where you are getting your information from James, but this is just flat out wrong.  

There are a nearly infinate number of differences from one two stroke engine to another.  Things off the top of my head like piston coatings (hard/soft anodized, moly silk screen, etc) and surface roughness, cylinder plating and roughness, thrust load and pressure, piston material and manufacturing method (cast, forged), bearing crown, bearing material, connrod coatings and material, bearing cage material and coatings, compression ratio, rings (cast iron or steel rings and/or moly coatings) droplet size and coalescence.  Not to mention more fundamental differences such as operational RPM, BMEP, BSFC, tuned exhaust or straight, piston port or reed valve, carb, efi, di, combustion temperature, piston profile and piston/bore clearance.  

2-strokes are very complex, yet very simple at the same time.  Simple in the fundamental way they operate, but very complex in understanding the nearly infinate number of variables that can drastically alter their performance.  All these variables have a huge effect on the ideal oil blend for the engine.  

2 stroke oils consist of a base stock, and then a large percentage of additives and detergents on top of that.  As I said earlier, OEM's go through great pains to custom tailor their oil to their engines.  They do this not only to make money on oil, but to increase performance and, most importantly, reduce warranty costs. Do not take this with a grain of salt and assume that "all 2-stroke engines are created equal."  I would recommend benefiting from all this work that has already been done for you, and buying the precise oil that the engine manufacturer recommends.  It's cheap insurance if nothing else.

So we should run the recommended oil in the recommended ratio per the engine manufacturer's suggestions?  

I would recommend buying exactly what the manufacturer recommends and mixing it to thier ratio.

I'm not a huge fan of amsoil.  I ran it when I was a kid and raced motocross and never had any problems that I know of.  We've tested it and it actually never made it far enough to be field tested.  It was ruled out in our lab test and I can tell you in our particular application, it would have caused catastrophic failure in a very short time.  

These types of things are a huge concern for us as we really have no idea or way of proving that customers use a sub-par oil.  If an engine burns down under warranty because of it, we have to foot the bill.

Thanks for the info. I appreciate the insight and will continue with my current practice.

Link Posted: 9/17/2011 9:01:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Look at the gas cap on the engine. If it says 50:1 run 2.7oz. of oil per gallon of gas. Run the oil/gas ratio the engine manufacturer specs. If you over oil a 2 stroke it leads to higher carbon build up. If you stick a ring from too much carbon and scuff a cylinder complete seizure is just a matter of time. Run only the best ashless TC-3 oil you can find. Don't mix oils. Find a good one and stick with it. And finally, Engine tuner is a 2 strokes best friend. If your not using it now. Check it out.
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 10:15:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Amsoil Dominator 42/1, will work on everything I own, 2st dirt bikes, chainsaws, weedwakers, hell I even throw it in the 4st lawn mower, runs fine.
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 10:27:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I would highly recommend using the oil type and ratio specified by the engine manufacturer.

I make a living designing high performance 2-stroke engines for an OEM in the powerports market.  There is a VAST difference from one 2-stroke oil to another.  OEM's work closely with oil vendors developing custom blends for thier oils to best suit the needs of a particular engine.  THe process involves a lot of testing and development work.  We test literally hundreds of different blends before coming to a decision.  Some fail incredibly miserably...even some commonly available "name brand" type oils that make outrageous claims.

Oh quit with the logic & facts.  I want to see destruction.
Link Posted: 9/17/2011 10:39:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm not one to fuck up this goat rope with facts but.....

Here is one oil manufacturer that says follow the engine builders guidelines for mix ratio.

Red Line Oil

Red Line AllSport™ Oil may be run in ratios between 16:1 and 100:1,
depending on rpms and engine manufacturer requirements.

Mix Ratios - proper mix ratios should be determined by the engine
builder for the application being considered.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 9:25:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are a nearly infinate number of differences from one two stroke engine to another.  Things off the top of my head like piston coatings (hard/soft anodized, moly silk screen, etc) and surface roughness, cylinder plating and roughness, thrust pressure, piston material and manufacturing method (cast, forged), bearing crown, bearing material, connrod coatings and material, bearing cage material and coatings, compression ratio, rings (cast iron or steel rings and/or moly coatings) droplet size and coalescence.  Not to mention more fundamental differences such as operational RPM, BMEP, BSFC, tuned exhaust or straight, piston port or reed valve, carb, efi, di, combustion temperature, piston profile and piston/bore clearance.  

Thank you, thank you, thank you. The voice of reason has spoken.

Link Posted: 9/18/2011 9:46:39 AM EDT
[#9]
This has to be the funniest post of the month.

This needs to be added to ARFCOM 101.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 10:23:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I use the Opti-2 universal mix.  Says it is safe for 100:1 to 16:1 mixtures.  No more having different gas cans for the different mixtures.  Northern tool sells it and several other places sell it.

Do you buy a lot of Ronco shit also?

After using it 10 years and ran roughly 100+ gallons of mixed gas using Opti-2 through 2 chain saws, limb saw, weed wacker and have not had a carbon or lubrication issue.   Both for lawn care and cut about 5 -6 cords of wood a year.  If it was shit I should of blown something up by now.  

I did buy a Ronco Pocket fisherman at a yard sale,   My sister has used it as cat toy thrower and retract device,  The cats love it.

Link Posted: 9/18/2011 10:34:59 AM EDT
[#11]
DO NOT MIX IT AT WHAT THE OIL BOTTLE RECOMMENDS!!

Use what the manufacture of equipment has specified!

The manufacturer has set the carburetor jetting specifically for what oil gas ratio they want. Not for what the oil bottle says.
If it says 32:1 mix it at that unless you want to rejet the carb for something different like 50:1 etc.

If you do mix it different than what the manufacturer states you will most likely not damage the engine immediately, although that can happen also, but it will cause issues sooner than mixing at the proper ratio specified by the manufacturer.
Link Posted: 9/18/2011 4:54:30 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I run Amsoil in my 9.9 outboard, I have ran it for the past 3 years and no problems YET

Link Posted: 9/19/2011 5:10:26 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That is 32 parts gas 1 part oil all jetting being the same if you run that in a 50-1 you are not getting enough gas.This causes a LEAN AIR FUEL mixture and you could and probably will sieze it!!!

Yup. The ratio is determined by the lubricity of the OIL.

But its not like every kind of machine is listed on the bottle so if I have a boat motor thats a really old off brand, old enough to require lead additive where do I find that on the bottle?

Get my point yet?

I guess it's over your head.

Wow, an old 2-cycle boat motor that requires leaded fuel? Must be before hardened valve seats.

I think you're going over most of our heads.    

I don't understand how a motor can call for a certain given mix, and then you can just use whatever the bottle says for another given mix.

The last bottle of oil I bought broke down several ratios. How is it that I can just pick one and go with it regardless of that the manufacturer's suggested ratio is? Heck, you could pick any ratio you want and slap it on a bottle.

If your oil bottle lists different mix ratios, I would start buying a different brand.

Show me a bottle that doesn't.

Stihl, Husqvarna, Echo, Shindaiwa, Redmax, etc.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 5:12:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please please PLEASE tell me that you don't really believe this!

It's not a believe thing, it's how I make my living.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 5:13:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please please PLEASE tell me that you don't really believe this!

It's not a believe thing, it's how I make my living.

I gave up on page 2.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 5:14:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The bottles marked mix with 1 gallon, 2.5 gallon etc. just make it easier for small motor owners.

You could use the same oil and mix it to what ever ratio you wanted.  Math is hard for some folks.

Yeah, but the bottle doesn't tell you to do that.

By that I mean, it gives a specific "recipe".

So, when I fill a 1 gallon gas can, I just portion it out but use the same ratio.

You get what I mean.

Apparently you can take a gallon of gas and either dump the whole bottle in or a quarter of the bottle it doesn't matter. I guess that what James is saying but I really don't know. I read the bottle and put in what it says to put in.

That's not what I'm saying. If a mix oil bottle says mix with 1 gallon, you mix it with one gallon, and use it in any 2-cycle engine. this could mean anywhere from 40:1 - 100:1. Again, it depends on the oil.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 5:15:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I use the Opti-2 universal mix.  Says it is safe for 100:1 to 16:1 mixtures.  No more having different gas cans for the different mixtures.  Northern tool sells it and several other places sell it.

Ok, educate me here.

I have never seen that stuff but doesn't it say how much gasoline to use with its packet?

Then, THAT resulting mixture is safe to use for machines at 100:1 to 16:1?

Opti-2 packets mix 1 gallon of fuel. That equates to about 80:1.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 5:16:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The bottles marked mix with 1 gallon, 2.5 gallon etc. just make it easier for small motor owners.

You could use the same oil and mix it to what ever ratio you wanted.  Math is hard for some folks.

So, when I fill a 1 gallon gas can, I just portion it out but use the same ratio.

You get what I mean.

gas/oil
16:1 one gallon 1/2 pint
16:1 six gallons 3 pints or 1.5 quarts
24:1 one gallon 5.5 ounces
24:1 six gallons one quart
50:1 six gallons one pint
50:1 twenty five gallons two quarts
50:1 fifty gallons one gallon
100:1 six gallons 1/2 pint
100:1 twenty five gallons one quart
100:1 fifty gallons 1/2 gallon

Why do all that if some here are saying to just run whatever the bottle of oil makes?

I have mixed a shit load of oil for different things and apparently I have been putting way to much thought into it.

Now, I could be wrong but I'm assuming that with the universal types of oil........you mix at the stated mix rate........then THAT resulting mixture is safe to use over a broad range of manufacturer recommended ratios?

ETA:  For example, my STIHL oil results in a 40:1 ratio.  I don't see why that couldn't be used in any air cooled 2 cycle engine because, at that ratio, STIHL oil is efffective.

But, like I said, this has always just been an assumption of mine.

You are correct.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 5:18:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You get what I mean.

gas/oil
16:1 one gallon 1/2 pint
16:1 six gallons 3 pints or 1.5 quarts
24:1 one gallon 5.5 ounces
24:1 six gallons one quart
50:1 six gallons one pint
50:1 twenty five gallons two quarts
50:1 fifty gallons one gallon
100:1 six gallons 1/2 pint
100:1 twenty five gallons one quart
100:1 fifty gallons 1/2 gallon

Why do all that if some here are saying to just run whatever the bottle of oil makes?

I have mixed a shit load of oil for different things and apparently I have been putting way to much thought into it.

Oil is cheaper by the gallon. Some people use more than a few gallons a year.

I buy oil by the gallon but aren't some here suggesting one mix rate is good for everything? If that is the case why do we need all the different mix ratios? Just mix everything the same and run it no matter what the actual piece of equipment says.

Yes. Mix it to whatever ratio the oil is designed for.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 5:19:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm saying use the instructions on the bottle, and disregard the instructions on the machine.

And here again fuck what the machine says mix whatever you the oil wants

FIFY
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 5:21:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, educate me here.

I have never seen that stuff but doesn't it say how much gasoline to use with its packet?

Then, THAT resulting mixture is safe to use for machines at 100:1 to 16:1?

They have different packets for 1 gallon, 2 gallon ect,  It says how much gas to add on the packet..  most are 1 gallon mixes that I have seen.  Once mixed the same fuel works in all the ratios.  I have 3 different machines using 32:1, 40:1 and 50:1 requirement, I use the same fuel in all of them. Have been using it for nearly 10 years and not had any lubrication issues or fouled plug issues.

I just went into the shop and I have a couple of those packets and you are right they do say good in any 2 stroke engine. The problem is I have cases of gallon jugs of mix but some here say my ration doesn't depend on what the engine says it depends on what the oil says. I can make any ratio I want so whats a girl to do?

Read the oil bottles. Mix accordingly.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 5:24:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Mix it well...:-)

Mix it up

Ahh, good old Autozone mix oil.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 5:30:45 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are a nearly infinate number of differences from one two stroke engine to another.  Things off the top of my head like piston coatings (hard/soft anodized, moly silk screen, etc) and surface roughness, cylinder plating and roughness, thrust pressure, piston material and manufacturing method (cast, forged), bearing crown, bearing material, connrod coatings and material, bearing cage material and coatings, compression ratio, rings (cast iron or steel rings and/or moly coatings) droplet size and coalescence.  Not to mention more fundamental differences such as operational RPM, BMEP, BSFC, tuned exhaust or straight, piston port or reed valve, carb, efi, di, combustion temperature, piston profile and piston/bore clearance.  

That may have been the issue back in the day, but not now. I do probably 200-300 engine overhauls each year on commercial saws, trimmers, blowers, etc. I have also kept up to date on factory training from Stihl, Husqvarna, Redmax, Kohler, Kubota, plus a few others in the past 16 years. I can assure you that ALL of the major manufaturers use similar metals, clearances, tuning, carburetion, etc.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 5:37:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Yes. Mix it to whatever ratio the oil is designed for.

You could not be more wrong.

Link Posted: 9/19/2011 5:52:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Whole lot of herpity derpity in here.  I guess a weedwhacker is pretty forgiving, but for more powerful 2-stroke if you start bouncing around ratios it causes damage.

The oil-fuel ratio controls the air-fuel mixture also, 32-1 will run lean of fuel compared to 50-1.  Also if you run a higher ratio of gas to oil, you increase the risk of washing the oil off the cylinder walls.

I used to have a Yamaha Banshee that needed to be rejetted if the temp changed 20-30 degrees.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 6:19:53 AM EDT
[#26]
After my neighbor's mower (4 cycle) seized up I asked to see what oil he had used.    Had been putting 2 cycle oil when it was calling for 30 weight.   Nice!!
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 6:24:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Lets look at this another way. Imagine we are using other oils to mix fuel.

Would you use the same ratio using 90W as if you were using 5W20?

Not all 2-cycle mix oils are created equal. Not all 2-cycle oils share the same lubricity. This is why the mix ratio is determined my the type/brand/formulation of the oil.

Hopefully this will make it easy for all to understand.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 6:34:50 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

That may have been the issue back in the day, but not now. I do probably 200-300 engine overhauls each year on commercial saws, trimmers, blowers, etc. I have also kept up to date on factory training from Stihl, Husqvarna, Redmax, Kohler, Kubota, plus a few others in the past 16 years. I can assure you that ALL of the major manufaturers use similar metals, clearances, tuning, carburetion, etc.

I am getting confused James, are you saying that my Husqvarna saw calls for a 50:1 ratio but if I dump some 100:1 mixed gas I have extra of into my Husqvarna saw it is ok?

Link Posted: 9/19/2011 6:48:35 AM EDT
[#29]
wow ...what a response. Anyway what started all thios is a ruined 2 cycle craftsman blower which , in its  manual, aid to use 40:1 mix.  all of my other yard euip. uses 32;1 mix. 6 or 7 yrs later , said blower is in the shop with ruined piston and ring..... the mech that worked on it (a trusted shooting buddy) asked about the fuel i was using. I told him the lawnboy mix which is 32;1  .  He promptly told me thats what killed the blower .... that in had to have 40:1 mix ....not 32;1 mix .   and that running the blower fat out for many many hrs for 6 or 7 yrs was enough to kill it.Further he warned about my new blower that uses a 50 :1 mix .... he told me not to use the lawnboy32;1 mix  ! Bassically different engines ..different tolerances  some can take slight changes in mixes ....others cannt.  I would rather be spending my money on toys that go bang ... so for now on this ol boy will have 3 or 4 different gas cans!   thanks for the response guys
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 6:49:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Holy cow, I don't know where to start. This thread is full of stupid!

Two stroke-cycle engines ARE NOT all the same, neither are Two stroke oils.

Some manufacturers like Ryobi, Homelike, Stihl and others use STAMPED STEEL parts for major engine components like connecting rods in some of their engines. (Think Hesse)

Others like Red-Max, Echo & Shindaiwa used Forged con-rods, that in a lot of cases are copper coated. (Think LaRue or Spikes)
Likewise, besides Air Cooled and Water Cooled, not all Air Cooled oils are the same, regardless of  mix ratio. I could mix some piss in a bottle with canola oil and sell it as PAR's Super Duper Two Stroke Oil, and to mix at 100:1, and offer it on the EE if I wanted. The "oil" in the oil does not do much anymore than act as a carrier for the additive package mixed in, such as detergents, anti-seize, anti-scuff... Without using a standard you cannot accurately compare oils.

Since 1996 JASO oil standards are available for a Two stroke Oil mfg that makes oil for air cooled engines to meet. When the Oil is independently tested and the test data is submitted and reviewed by JASO, the oil will be given a registration number for the rating it passed.

There are three current levels... FB, FC, FD. FD rating is the highest rating, intended for High RPM High Performance Air Cooled Two Stroke-Cycle engines. That oil MFG will be given a registration number that needs to be put on the bottle as PROOF that the oil was tested and passed that standard. Just because a bottle says "meets JASO Fx" (and doesn't have a registration number) doesn't mean it was tested and passed. There is no proof and you are taking the oil MFG word for it.

Right now the best JASO FD rated oil your hard earned money can buy is the Shindaiwa Red Armor. The testing that I have done on this stuff, it is UN-freaking believable with it's detergent package to deal with the crappy fuels we see. It is a 50:1 oil (that is a requirement of the JASO standard) that should be run @ 50:1 in any air cooled two stroke-cycle engine. Remember, it is the additive package that is doing the work, it isn't straight 30 weight oil that you had to mix 16:1.

Going down the line in JASO FD rated oils would be ECHO, Husky, Shindaiwa One, Red-Max Alco No-Smoke 2 Stroke, off the top of my head. All these are JASO FD registered.
SO, if there are standards to measure the oil you make by, and you refuse to have it done, what are the reasons? I have heard them all, from "We know our oil is the best, we don't need an outside standard to tell us that" to "our oil is much better then the standard, we don't want to be lumped in with inferior oils"... Common sense tells us otherwise.
Read the owners manual for the product you have. Use the oil they recommend if it is still available. If you have multiple brands of products that state to use different oils, use the one with the highest JASO registration in them all. Using an oil that does NOT meet the requirements set by the MFG of that Engine WILL VOID the engine warranty for a lubrication failure. Do NOT go by what an oil manufacturer says about their oil. Don't use PAR's Super Duper oil...

ETA: not all Engines made by Stihl, Ryobi... use stamped components. The larger Stihl saws made in Germany are high quality still.

Link Posted: 9/19/2011 6:53:14 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

wow ...what a response. Anyway what started all thios is a ruined 2 cycle craftsman blower which , in its  manual, aid to use 40:1 mix.  all of my other yard euip. uses 32;1 mix. 6 or 7 yrs later , said blower is in the shop with ruined piston and ring..... the mech that worked on it (a trusted shooting buddy) asked about the fuel i was using. I told him the lawnboy mix which is 32;1  .  He promptly told me thats what killed the blower .... that in had to have 40:1 mix ....not 32;1 mix .   and that running the blower fat out for many many hrs for 6 or 7 yrs was enough to kill it.Further he warned about my new blower that uses a 50 :1 mix .... he told me not to use the lawnboy32;1 mix  ! Bassically different engines ..different tolerances  some can take slight changes in mixes ....others cannt.  I would rather be spending my money on toys that go bang ... so for now on this ol boy will have 3 or 4 different gas cans!   thanks for the response guys

Lawnboy 32:1 oil would meet the defunct API-TC and JASO FA standards. So does straight 30wt Non Detergent 4 cycle oil.

ETA: for 15 + years Two Cycle engines have been required to meet EPA emission standards. That level dropped from 1996 to 2005 on a stepped basis from 300+ grams/hp/hr to 50 grams/hp/hr of total HC + NOx. That means they are much leaner and hotter. The oil quality is critical.

Link Posted: 9/19/2011 6:53:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
A fuel mix at 50:1 will flow more through a given carburetor jet than a 32:1 mix due to the lower viscosity. Just follow what the manufacturer recommends and as been posted there are different oils for air and liquid cooled engines.

Mixture Calculator

You are a Prince among men.

Link Posted: 9/19/2011 7:00:03 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am getting confused James, are you saying that my Husqvarna saw calls for a 50:1 ratio but if I dump some 100:1 mixed gas I have extra of into my Husqvarna saw it is ok?

Only if you do not care about any warranty of your Husky saw for oil related failures... Husky wants a JASO FD oil run their equipment such as the Husky XP oil.

Link Posted: 9/19/2011 7:01:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:

If the oil is designed for 100:1, yes.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 7:05:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Some manufacturers like Ryobi, Homelike, Stihl and others use STAMPED STEEL parts for major engine components like connecting rods. (Think Hesse)

Others like Red-Max, Echo & Shindaiwa used Forged con-rods, that in a lot of cases are copper coated. (Think LaRue or Spikes)

Likewise, besides Air Cooled and Water Cooled, not all Air Cooled oils are the same, regardless of  mix ratio. I could mix some piss in a bottle with canola oil and sell it as PAR's Super Duper Two Stroke Oil, and to mix at 100:1, and offer it on the EE if I wanted. The "oil" in the oil does not do much anymore than act as a carrier for the additive package mixed in, such as detergents, anti-seize, anti-scuff... Without using a standard you cannot accurately compare oils.

Since 1996 JASO oil standards are available for a Two stroke Oil mfg that makes oil for air cooled engines to meet. When the Oil is independently tested and the test data is submitted and reviewed by JASO, the oil will be given a registration number for the rating it passed.

There are three current levels... FB, FC, FD. FD rating is the highest rating, intended for High RPM High Performance Air Cooled Two Stroke-Cycle engines. That oil MFG will be given a registration number that needs to be put on the bottle as PROOF that the oil was tested and passed that standard. Just because a bottle says "meets JASO Fx" (and doesn't have a registration number) doesn't mean it was tested and passed. There is no proof and you are taking the oil MFG word for it.

Right now the best JASO FD rated oil your hard earned money can buy is the Shindaiwa Red Armor. The testing that I have done on this stuff, it is UN-freaking believable with it's detergent package to deal with the crappy fuels we see. It is a 50:1 oil (that is a requirement of the JASO standard) that should be run @ 50:1 in any air cooled two stroke-cycle engine. Remember, it is the additive package that is doing the work, it isn't straight 30 weight oil that you had to mix 16:1.

Going down the line in JASO FD rated oils would be ECHO, Husky, Shindaiwa One, Red-Max Alco No-Smoke 2 Stroke, off the top of my head. All these are JASO FD registered.

SO, if there are standards to measure the oil you make by, and you refuse to have it done, what are the reasons? I have heard them all, from "We know our oil is the best, we don't need an outside standard to tell us that" to "our oil is much better then the standard, we don't want to be lumped in with inferior oils"... Common sense tells us otherwise.

Read the owners manual for the product you have. Use the oil they recommend if it is still available. If you have multiple brands of products that state to use different oils, use the one with the highest JASO registration in them all. Using an oil that does NOT meet the requirements set by the MFG of that Engine WILL VOID the engine warranty for a lubrication failure. Do NOT go by what an oil manufacturer says about their oil. Don't use PAR's Super Duper oil...

Your post is misleading.  Stihl does not use stamped steel connecting rods in all their saws.  Equating Stihl with Hesse, Ryobi, or Homelite is just adding to the stupid in this thread.  

If folks want to ensure that their 2-stroke engines last a long time, the easiest way is to buy the oil from the equipment manufacturer, and mix it to the ratio stated by that manufacturer.  Use good, fresh, 89+ octane non-ethanol gas, if you can find it, and your 2-stroke will run for years.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 7:05:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The mix ratio is oil specific, not unit specific. Mix it according to what's on the oil bottle.

This! I have run 32-1 in mineral oils like maxima and blenzoil and 100-1 with synthetic oils like redline and amsoil
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 7:09:05 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Some manufacturers like Ryobi, Homelike, Stihl and others use STAMPED STEEL parts for major engine components like connecting rods. (Think Hesse)

Great info. If you have a bottle of Stihl Ultra that requires a 50:1 ratio, but your unit calls for 32:1 should you mix the Stihl Ultra oil at a 32:1?
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 7:09:50 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

__SNIP___

Your post is misleading.  Stihl does not use stamped steel connecting rods in all their saws.  Equating Stihl with Hesse, Ryobi, or Homelite is just adding to the stupid in this thread.  

If folks want to ensure that their 2-stroke engines last a long time, the easiest way is to buy the oil from the equipment manufacturer, and mix it to the ratio stated by that manufacturer.  Use good, fresh, 89+ octane non-ethanol gas, if you can find it, and your 2-stroke will run for years.

Sorry, not my intent, ETA to clarify...

Link Posted: 9/19/2011 7:10:49 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, I have a dozen or so Stil saws torn down now, and none have a stamped rod.I've also never seen a copper coated engine cae.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 7:11:39 AM EDT
[#40]
My weed eater gets my old quad gas. So 32:1 klotz super techniplate for that sweet benol smell with high octane. Sometimes golden spectro if they are out of the klotz.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 7:12:15 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Great info. If you have a bottle of Stihl Ultra that requires a 50:1 ratio, but your unit calls for 32:1 should you mix the Stihl Ultra oil at a 32:1?

I would use the Stihl Ultra for drilling oil since it is not JASO FD registered, and use a high quality oil that does meet JASO FD at the 50:1 ratio as I mentioned.

Link Posted: 9/19/2011 7:12:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

If the oil is designed for 100:1, yes.

But I would not mix the 50-1 with the 100-1 fuel. Empty or use up whats in there and then run the 100-1 stuff.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 7:16:55 AM EDT
[#43]
This thread is full of herp and derp.  You should put a poll up so I can cast my vote as such - Always follow manufacturers' recommended mix ratios for optimum performance and protection. (plagiarized from my bottle of 2 cycle oil).

Link Posted: 9/19/2011 7:17:36 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Not all 2-cycle mix oils are created equal. Not all 2-cycle oils share the same lubricity. This is why the mix ratio is determined my the type/brand/formulation of the oil.

You may have a point if we lived back in the 1960s still when you mixed one quart of 30 weight oil to 6 gallons of fuel to get 25:1.

Here are 5 different gallons of todays most popular outboard oil.

Any of these oil can be used to make a variety of ratios they mix exactly the same.

Please quit spreading your igronace on this thread, people are confused enough about this subject.  

Link Posted: 9/19/2011 7:18:23 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I would use the Stihl Ultra for drilling oil since it is not JASO FD registered, and use a high quality oil that does meet JASO FD at the 50:1 ratio as I mentioned.

Wow!

When I attended the Stihl Gold school we tested oils. We took new saws and ran a tank of mixed fuel through each. After that we ran straight gas. The saw that was broken in with the Stihl Ultra oil lasted 3 tanks, and the others diddn't make it through one.

Stihl Ultra is by far the best on the market.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 7:20:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You may have a point if we lived back in the 1960s still when you mixed one quart of 30 weight oil to 6 gallons of fuel to get 25:1.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/akethan/oil001.jpg

Any of these oil can be used to make a variety of ratios they mix exactly the same.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/akethan/oil002.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/akethan/oil003.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/akethan/oil004.jpg

Please quit spreading your igronace on this thread, people are confused enough about this subject.  

Wow, I didn't know we were talking about outboard engines.

I'll chalk your post up to lack of reading comprehension.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 7:26:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Outboard, weed wacker, motorcycle. They are all 2-strokes and use similar oil.

Outboard oil is actually one of the best oils to use because they are designed to run hard and have a great detergent package.

Theses all also nice to have laying around.

Link Posted: 9/19/2011 7:30:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Outboard, weed wacker, motorcycle. They are all 2-strokes and use similar oil.

Outboard oil is actually one of the best oils to use because they are designed to run hard and have a great detergent package.

Theses all also nice to have laying around.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v625/akethan/P1010568.jpg

Yeah those new ficht-ram injected, water cooled chainsaws are exactly like a modern outboard.
Link Posted: 9/19/2011 7:32:56 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, I have a dozen or so Stil saws torn down now, and none have a stamped rod.I've also never seen a copper coated engine cae.

RIF....it says "That in a lot of cases are copper coated", the con-rod that is...

I don't have 210C handy for a pic so here is a Stihl trimmer engine...

By your logic on oil it is ok to use this because the bottle has on it that it is good for chainsaws...

It does not meet JASO FD by the way...

Link Posted: 9/19/2011 7:34:37 AM EDT
[#50]
My head is now full of fuck. Here's what I've always done:

I buy the oil the mfr recommends, and I mix it at the ratio they tell me to. It works.

You all have fun with this academic "yeah, but what if..." discussion, because if I keep reading it, I'm going to end up throwing my 2 stroke equipment away.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top