User Panel

SilencerCo Radius (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/22/2016 3:56:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EdwardAvila]
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 10:12:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Looking forward to your report. I'd get one if you can hit IPDA steel targets at 1K well. Thanks, Slug-O
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 10:12:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Looking forward to the update. Thank you for being an early adopter!
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 10:16:32 AM EDT
[#3]
This unit has the curiosity quotient to be a big seller, including folks
I buy for.  It needs a night vision mode.  I hope that's something
SilencerCo is working on as an upgrade or for Gen2.  Lighter would be
nicer, as well as longer battery life, but it would be a budget line
item with the night vision compatible display.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 11:12:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks like an awesome product, but the price combined with the weight are a bit of a turn off. Should be interesting to see where this goes.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:46:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By -Watcher-:
This unit has the curiosity quotient to be a big seller, including folks I buy for.  It needs a night vision mode.  I hope that's something SilencerCo is working on as an upgrade or for Gen2.  Lighter would be nicer, as well as longer battery life, but it would be a budget line item with the night vision compatible display.
View Quote

What's the point of a nv mode ?
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 12:51:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 8:45:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: taliv] [#7]
yeah, that's what i meant, but i still don't get it.

you could use a NV mode if you were wearing NODs and using a laser designator to aim.   (which i usually am, when shooting carbines)
however, given that lasers are straight, and don't curve with the trajectory of your bullet, and you pretty much can't hold off the back of a piggie with the laser, you are kinda limited to "point blank" range, which means you don't really need the LRF.   and most NODs won't let you ID a target past 300 yards well enough to shoot at it safely anyway.  
nevermind the fact that if you are wearing NODs, and looking at a target 300 yards away, then looked at your radius, you would just get a blur anyway, as you can't focus the NODs at those two distances without refocusing.   and it's highly unlikely a refocus ring would work either, as your radius is probably mounted a bit too far away.  (though it's a possibility)

if you are using a clip on (which I do when shooting bolt guns), or have the NV mounted to the rifle, then you don't need a NV mode cause you're just looking at the radius with your eyeball.

so I still don't what set of circumstances would cause you to want a NV mode.    

as far as a light signature, the radius' display puts out WAY less light than your NV tubes do, so unless you're trying to hide from people BEHIND you, I don't think it's going to be an issue.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 12:21:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Watcher-] [#8]
I haven't yet found the Radius on the TNVC website and wonder if they are a dealer.  Vic and crew have built a lot of trust here and I'd be interested in their feedback... and any ARFCOM inaugural pricing opportunity.

One potentially great thing about the modular display is that it's open to updating.  If not by reprogramming, then by swapping out.  Assuming SilencerCo came out with a night vision mode update for the display, it would be easy enough to obtain it as an accessory module and plug it in, assuming you couldn't send in the display to be reprogrammed or swapped out.  The same could be said for future feature expansion.  Develop a digital output port for a firing computer (or GPS inter-operability - yes, I am making a reference to the far-more-expensive AN/PSQ-23A) and replace the display to update the unit.  Perhaps the unit firm-/software could even be updated through the port on the device the display plugs into. Something along this line allows the initial street price to remain low, allow future updating at accessory-type pricing, while letting end-users determine what additional features they find worth the price point.

I have no idea if any of this is possible or been considered as part of product development.  That knowledge would likely have to come through an industry contact friendly to ARFCOM.  Say, like TNVC.

Link Posted: 3/21/2016 12:22:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Watcher-] [#9]
Deleted double post.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 2:49:14 PM EDT
[#10]
what NV set up do you use for precision shooting now, watcher?
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 2:09:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Has anyone used one of these yet?

I have an option to pick one up new for under $960 new.  

I was thinking about adding it to my TacOps XRay 51, Vortex HD Gen 2 Razor 4.5-27x56, TacOps Tac 30 Titanium rifle setup.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 3:43:17 PM EDT
[#12]
i've been using it a lot

it's great

i have a thread in marksmanship with a video using it through NV too.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 3:52:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By taliv:
i've been using it a lot

it's great

i have a thread in marksmanship with a video using it through NV too.
View Quote

I cannot find it.

Not to get an education class here - but I did a search by your name in the entire Precision Rifles section for any posts started by you, replied by you, within the last 30 days, and within the last two years.  I know you have posts, but the search results always come back with no results found!  Do you have a link?

Thanks,
Mike
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 5:52:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: taliv] [#14]
my bad, was in fieldcraft

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_16_13/3713_using_an_LRF_and_shooting_in_the_dark.html

i'm using it on top of a vortex gen2 as well (not that it matters that much) and also on a spotter.

did you have any more specific questions?
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 10:29:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Just got mine in the mail. I have to say I'm very impressed with it for the money. Only thing is it doesn't come with a lens cover.

Link Posted: 4/16/2016 2:18:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Mine will be here on Monday.

Ordered because of this review, and from a forum vendor: QuietRiotFirearms!

I will post pictures of the mounting setup, results, etc. next week.

Thanks,
Mike
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 4:34:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dmjerrywest44] [#17]
Took mine out tonight and was consistently getting readings at 3100 yards on a tree. I think at this distance beam divergence is around 4.5 x 16.5 feet.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 8:20:59 AM EDT
[#18]
dmjerrywest44,

I must ask... please reply (privately if you must) : how are you "Shooting" your equipment and editing them?  Those photos are extremely remarkable; I would like to learn that technique if possible.

Thanks,
Mike
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 9:20:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Alright guys, whats the verdict??

Awesome or total waste?

I prairie dog hunt in SD. I normal rangefinder is worthless as there is usually little to nothing to reflect off of there. Will the Radius succeed where others have failed?

Link Posted: 5/23/2016 11:41:45 PM EDT
[#20]
i have to say i was a little disappointed in mine yesterday.  bright sun, poor conditions.  inside 800 it was perfect, but couldn't hit the tree lines past that at all.  plrf10 had no problems of course, but it's 4.5x more $$$

still, i mostly like mine because it lets me shoot in the dark, and at night, as you can see above, it works great
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 11:54:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Red-Rx7:
dmjerrywest44,

I must ask... please reply (privately if you must) : how are you "Shooting" your equipment and editing them?  Those photos are extremely remarkable; I would like to learn that technique if possible.

Thanks,
Mike
View Quote

I'm guessing it's at night or dusk, on a tripod, long exposure, with a flashlight.

I'm waiting to read some more reviews before jumping on board with this thing. I want one, but feel that my money would be better in ammo for now.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 3:47:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EdwardAvila] [#22]
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 10:03:25 AM EDT
[#23]
Excellent write up. Exactly what I was looking for as I'm a p-dog shooter in the Dakota's.

I gave up on standard range finders yrs ago due to the very things you described, small targets, nothing to bounce a range off of, etc.

I will say this though, a friend bought a new unit(can't remember the brand) and it did fairly well this season. So maybe the technology is improving.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 12:02:04 PM EDT
[#24]
While not significantly different, the Omega is a bit quieter and lighter than the Hybrid.
View Quote

I am wondering, since the Hybrid ships with a .46 cal end cap, but is replaceable with other end caps, what end cap were you using on the Hybrid? Also were you using the ASR mount and a brake or flash hider or direct thread?

thanks!
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 2:26:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 3:53:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By EdwardAvila:

No details on the cans as they were on and the rifles zeroed when I got there, but I can certainly find out.
SilencerCo did have this video of the Radius being used at night, but it's more of a promo http://beyondhuman.com/hoghunt/

I also happened to get what looks like a couple of lens caps for the Radius this afternoon... I know someone was asking about those.
With no retention though, these look like they would be easily lost.
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=90292
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fast_edo:
I am wondering, since the Hybrid ships with a .46 cal end cap, but is replaceable with other end caps, what end cap were you using on the Hybrid? Also were you using the ASR mount and a brake or flash hider or direct thread?

No details on the cans as they were on and the rifles zeroed when I got there, but I can certainly find out.
SilencerCo did have this video of the Radius being used at night, but it's more of a promo http://beyondhuman.com/hoghunt/

I also happened to get what looks like a couple of lens caps for the Radius this afternoon... I know someone was asking about those.
With no retention though, these look like they would be easily lost.
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=90292

yeah it almost loos like you would need a 1 piece mount to protect the laser lens as well. its a shame all three housings touch like they do, otherwise im sure a butler creek cap would fit.

I wonder how long until a unit like this offers bluetooth and links to your scope with a readout inside your scope so you dont have to come off glass to see ranges.or ties in with a barrett BORS system to auto range with the laser.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 6:05:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 1:33:05 PM EDT
[#28]
i can see the report now: "sniper discovered when trying to connect bluetooth phone and sniper connect was detected."

even a USB connection would be good enough, and it doesnt have to be that power intensive. could be USB charged. actually, now that i think about it, you wouldnt even need to place the readout inside the glass. we dont rest our eye right on the glass, we could just mount it to the bottom of the rear of the scope. and with that, we wouldnt need a read out on the Radius. we just need silencerco to make a remote mount for the lcd read out that clips on either the scope itself or the rail right below the scope.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 2:38:07 PM EDT
[#29]
The rulr and raptar have this figured out already. I don't want the scope involved other than a heads up display possibly. I just want a radius to talk to a rianov
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 12:48:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By zlman:
Alright guys, whats the verdict??

Awesome or total waste?

I prairie dog hunt in SD. I normal rangefinder is worthless as there is usually little to nothing to reflect off of there. Will the Radius succeed where others have failed?

View Quote

I still have not figured out why someone would want a weapon mounted range finder rather than a stand alone, there are better stand alone range finders.

In the recent Modern Advancements in Long range Shooting the SilencerCo didn't do all that great.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 2:36:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EdwardAvila] [#31]
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 4:48:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#32]

Have not seen but curious what they said.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By popnfresh:

In the recent Modern Advancements in Long range Shooting the SilencerCo didn't do all that great.

Have not seen but curious what they said.

I see, I'll have to try my PVS-14 through my LRF to see if it works.
ETA: Tried PVS-14 through my LRF, and that is a cluster fuck LOL. With the gain turned up and an IR illuminator I could see through the LRF pretty good. My LRF is LCD so just looking in the sky is enough light to see the LCD reading at night, or I could refocus and turn down the gain and see the reading with the PVS-14. Doable for short ranges but pointless because shorter ranges don't require ranging when one can just rely on point blank. I can definitely see a use for the RADIUS for night ranging.

From Modern Advancements in Long range Shooting:

SilencerCo Radius
2.5ft x 2.5ft on a  20% reflective target

Direct sunlight..= 450 m
Daylight...........= 700 m
Dawn and Dusk= 900 m

2.5ft x 2.5ft on a 50% reflective target

Direct sunlight..= 600 m
Daylight...........= 900 m
Dawn and Dusk= 1100 m

Same performance as the Bushnell 1mile Arc(both Elite and Fusion) and Vortex 1500

Link Posted: 8/2/2016 5:14:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Any video yet?
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 5:51:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 3:03:27 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm excited, I've got two Radius range finders inbound for these two 6.5 builds.  The front rifle is getting an LT845 mount to mount the radius on.  The rear rifle is getting a Nightforce RAP added.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 10:14:22 AM EDT
[#36]
That's gonna look awesome!
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 12:42:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By AggiePhil:
That's gonna look awesome!
View Quote

I got the first one in yesterday!

Link Posted: 3/12/2017 12:54:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Looks great. I'm debating between the NF RAP and the LaRue. Leaning toward the LaRue since it's toolless and will be going on a LaRue PredatOBR anyway. Kinda wish someone made one with a few MOA built in though.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 1:55:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Looks great. I'm debating between the NF RAP and the LaRue. Leaning toward the LaRue since it's toolless and will be going on a LaRue PredatOBR anyway. Kinda wish someone made one with a few MOA built in though.
View Quote
My NightForce Unimount has 20MOA built in. Hopefully I'll have pictures of it all mounted up by the end of the week.

FWIW, if you go with the LT 845, my height from the centerline of the optic to the center of the red laser was 2.843".
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 2:02:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
My NightForce Unimount has 20MOA built in. Hopefully I'll have pictures of it all mounted up by the end of the week.
View Quote

Yeah, I actually already have one of the cantilevered Unimounts but I'm thinking the Magmount may be a better option for the big ol' NF 7-35 scope. Looks like the Compact Magmount has 20 MOA so I may go with that but I wish the standard Magmount was available with MOA. Also wish the LaRue mount was available with MOA since it's toolless.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 3:25:26 PM EDT
[#41]
I think the standard unimount is providing plenty of grip for the big nightforce.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 9:16:06 AM EDT
[#42]
If anyone is looking for a deal.....

$499.99 SWR Radius

L9Q gives $30 off and free shipping as well.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 9:57:21 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By jlficken:

$499.99 SWR Radius

View Quote
Damn, that's cheap. Are they coming out with a new model or what?
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 10:07:44 AM EDT
[#44]
View All Quotes

$499.99 SWR Radius

I'm not sure but they are at least $900 everywhere else that I can find.  I grabbed one but am not sure if I will be keeping it or not as I really don't shoot beyond 300yds much.  I have never seen one though and the only way I can see these things where I live is to buy them.  Living in BFE has it's downsides sometimes
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 1:51:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Anybody know of an easy way to attach a rail to the forend side of a Bergara B-14 HMR?  
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 2:42:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Firestarter123] [#46]
Originally Posted By Reorx:
Anybody know of an easy way to attach a rail to the forend side of a Bergara B-14 HMR?  
View Quote
I can't think of one offhand.  I would go with either the Badger, NF, or Spuhr scope mount options in your case.  I am debating whether to buy the crap for my AIAT to mount mine or do the same actually.

Does anyone have any thoughts on side mount versus scope mount?
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 3:24:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jaqufrost] [#47]

I can't think of one offhand.  I would go with either the Badger, NF, or Spuhr scope mount options in your case.  I am debating whether to buy the crap for my AIAT to mount mine or do the same actually.

View Quote
It changes the orientation of the laser.  I went with a top mount to keep my laser oriented with the wider portion of the beam divergence in the horizontal plane.  Beam divergence is listed as .5mradx1.85mrad.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 3:47:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 3:49:32 PM EDT
[#49]
It changes the orientation of the laser.  I went with a top mount to keep my laser oriented with the wider portion of the beam divergence in the horizontal plane.  Beam divergence is listed as .5mradx1.85mrad.
View All Quotes

Good to know...thanks!  I went ahead and backordered a SP-4001 from MidwayUSA since they were on sale for $386 and will grab the A-0029 adapter from Spuhr as well.  Now to sell my ARC rings....ugh

I also found this PDF rather interesting that was shared on the original Radius thread on the old Scout SH if anyone wants to read it.

I had no interest in the Radius until this morning
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 3:53:01 PM EDT
[#50]
I thought I discussed up above, but the advantage was on top because it was able to see over low obstacles (grass) when we were shooting prairie dogs in NM. Minor difference in mounting height, but it made a difference where we were shooting.

Side mount obviously is a lower profile, especially if you're mounting on top of a scope, and it's easier to see and reach controls.
That seems to be the tradeoff.
View All Quotes
I thought I discussed up above, but the advantage was on top because it was able to see over low obstacles (grass) when we were shooting prairie dogs in NM. Minor difference in mounting height, but it made a difference where we were shooting.

Side mount obviously is a lower profile, especially if you're mounting on top of a scope, and it's easier to see and reach controls.
That seems to be the tradeoff.
I see that now...duh.  I was watching the video of you shooting with SiCo and saw they were all side mounted except a single rifle (at least that is what I saw) so I was thinking side was the way to go but top makes more sense now.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
SilencerCo Radius (Page 1 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top