User Panel

Site Notices
Ruger Precision Rifle (Page 1 of 90)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 90
Posted: 7/17/2015 5:16:49 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 5:44:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Trumpet] [#1]
http://www.scout.com/military/snipers-hide/story/1564384-ruger-precision-rifle-65-cm

Lowlight reviews it here.
Now I gotta re-assess what I'm going to buy
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 6:04:58 PM EDT
[#2]
That seems to be as close to a ringing endorsement by Frank as he's capable of giving...lol
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 6:48:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I am very excited!
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 6:51:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 6:53:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:
Finally a factory 26" 7.7" twist .243. Now people can shoot the heavy bullets and not worry about stabilization. Would have been better if the Creedmoor was 26" too but 24" will work.
View Quote

Yup. Like I said in the GD thread Ruger has obviously been doing their homework.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 7:45:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: King_Mud] [#6]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

Yup. Like I said in the GD thread Ruger has obviously been doing their homework.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Finally a factory 26" 7.7" twist .243. Now people can shoot the heavy bullets and not worry about stabilization. Would have been better if the Creedmoor was 26" too but 24" will work.

+1

This looks like a nice rifle for a good price.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 7:50:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Price??????
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 7:52:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By DOG556:
Price??????
View Quote

MSRP $1399
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 7:53:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By DOG556:
Price??????
View Quote

Around $1100.00
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 8:18:28 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

Any problem fitting 243 with a 105/115 in a Pmag or similar?
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 8:24:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 8:27:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Will have to read actual range reports before considering this rifle as a precision rifle. You don't see $1100 precision rifles out there so wonder if any corners were cut to get the price down. Am surprised the 6.5CM didn't come in a longer barrel. Maybe a customized possibility. Until they get in folks hands and test it out, I will stick with my Savage 10T. Anyone else doing something like this?
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 8:34:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ALASKANFIRE] [#13]
Originally Posted By Bearcat24:
Will have to read actual range reports before considering this rifle as a precision rifle. You don't see $1100 precision rifles out there so wonder if any corners were cut to get the price down. Am surprised the 6.5CM didn't come in a longer barrel. Maybe a customized possibility. Until they get in folks hands and test it out, I will stick with my Savage 10T. Anyone else doing something like this?
View Quote

I don't know it seems pretty similar price wise to the big obnoxious Savage but at first glance looks well done rather than cobbled together.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 8:50:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Impressive.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 8:54:29 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

Did you see the review posted upthread by SnipersHide's Frank Galli (Lowlight)?  The one with the seven and a half minute video review from arguably one of the most experienced precision rifle shooters in the country?

Frank reported 2810fps with factory Hornady 140 Amax Match ammo...*plenty* of velocity for 1000 yards and beyond.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 9:06:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Here's an exploded view of the rifle:

Note that in the user's manual Ruger shows this design uses a barrel nut (17) and a separate "handguard nut" (88). It'll be very interesting to see if the handguard nut is 1:1 replaceable with dedicated barrel nuts for handguards like the BCM KMR, KAC URX, etc.

VERY interesting design, and it sounds like Ruger really thought things through on this rifle. I'm quite amazed.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 9:07:44 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_16_4/1707_What_is_the_price_you_payed_to_shoot_1_MOA_.html

The stock seems a bit funky, but otherwise, me gusta.

Link Posted: 7/17/2015 9:16:54 PM EDT
[#18]
60 degree bolt and 3 lug is a nice start. Based on the initial accuracy results, it certainly looks promising. The 243 is very intriguing since it actually can be used for the heavies.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 9:20:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By cruze5:
This is the first Ruger product I have ever had any interest in..

If it's a 1/10 twist 308 I would be sold

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cruze5:
This is the first Ruger product I have ever had any interest in..

If it's a 1/10 twist 308 I would be sold

Yep

Model Numbers and Specifications:

(Model/Caliber/Weight/Barrel Length/Twist/Overall Length: Folded, Extended Min,  Extended Max)

18001 / 308 Win / 20” / 9.7 lbs / 1:10 / 30.6”, 38.25”, 41.75”

18005 / 6.5 Creedmoor / 10.6 lbs / 24” / 1:8 / 34.6”, 42.25”, 45.75”

18010 / 243 Win / 11 lbs /26”/ 1:7.7 / 36.6”, 44.25”, 47.75”

Height 7.3” (Grip bottom to Picatinny rail top)

Width 3.3” (Receiver to bolt handle)

Length of Pull:  Adjustable 12”-15.5”

Comb height range: .75”; comb fore-aft position can be adjusted by up to 3.5” (depending upon stock position)

Removable oversized (.900” diameter) bolt handle with 5/16”-24 thread

Seven Patents pending:

• Universal magazine latch mechanism.  Allows both a side catch and rear catch to be operated with the same interface.  

• Bolt body configured for universal magazine use

• Dual barrel nut and handguard interface

• Folding buttstock latch with rotatable, folded lock position

• Dual acting stock cam levers and adjustment method Dual acting stock

• Two patents on the trigger and safety assembly and installation methods
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 9:45:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By avboiler11:

Did you see the review posted upthread by SnipersHide's Frank Galli (Lowlight)?  The one with the seven and a half minute video review from arguably one of the most experienced precision rifle shooters in the country?

Frank reported 2810fps with factory Hornady 140 Amax Match ammo...*plenty* of velocity for 1000 yards and beyond.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By avboiler11:

Not yet. Just saw the article.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 10:14:04 PM EDT
[#21]
If they are going to sell aftermarket barrels/bolts for caliber changes I am most definitely in!
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 10:18:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Just read the article. Looking good so far. Am surprised Ruger can sell it at that price. Here is the snipers hide article for those interested.
http://www.scout.com/military/snipers-hide/story/1564384-the-ruger-precision-rifle-6-5-cm
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 10:31:20 PM EDT
[#23]
I have 6 on the way.  4 in 308, 2 in 6.5.

We are on the top of the list from the distribution center.  On Monday, I hope to have a ship date.  What is amazing on this rifle is, the dealer price is a CONSIDERABLE amount less.  I expect to see these online in the 1k price range...

I will definitely provide break down pictures and comparisons to my 1/4 MOA TacOps rifle.

Thanks,
Mike
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 10:37:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By SuperJlarge:
60 degree bolt and 3 lug is a nice start. Based on the initial accuracy results, it certainly looks promising. The 243 is very intriguing since it actually can be used for the heavies.
View Quote

70 degree bolt from my understanding.

I have read that a few editors were shooting 1/2 MOA with the demo guns and provided ammo.  Who knows if the demo guns were "tuned up" or were just straight out of the box..  I also don't know if the ammo was hand loaded or not; from my understanding they were supplied in MTM style boxes at the test range.  Either way, I am excited to see how it goes.

Looks like I will be buying another Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27x56, if the rifle pans out!

Thanks,
Mike

Link Posted: 7/17/2015 10:39:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Damn, I missed the last 6.5 at Tanner's.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:06:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By BuckeyeRifleman:
If they are going to sell aftermarket barrels/bolts for caliber changes I am most definitely in!
View Quote

Rebarreling your bolt gun with just an armorer's wrench and a set of vice blocks sounds interesting.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:09:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By King_Mud:

Rebarreling your bolt gun with just an armorer's wrench and a set of vice blocks sounds interesting.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By King_Mud:
Originally Posted By BuckeyeRifleman:

You'll also need go/nogo gauges for each caliber you wish to shoot. It's not like an AR that headspaces against a barrel extension.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:11:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ziarifleman] [#28]
Huh. How about that.

In before the whining it doesn't take Pmags.
NO WAY! It does!
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:31:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Looks similar to the Tubb 2000 for a heck of alot less.
If it performs and Ruger cranks them out they have a winner.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:35:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By ziarifleman:
Huh. How about that.

NO WAY! It does!
View Quote

Yep, the 3 lug bolt happens to have one lug that glides perfectly between the feed lips of a PMAG. Ruger has a patent application in for the mag system on this rifle. Pretty amazing they got a single magwell and catch system to take PMAGS, AICS mags, and some M14/M1A mags.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:37:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By vmpglenn:

Yep, the 3 lug bolt happens to have one lug that glides perfectly between the feed lips of a PMAG. Ruger has a patent application in for the mag system on this rifle. Pretty amazing they got a single magwell and catch system to take PMAGS, AICS mags, and some M14/M1A mags.
View All Quotes
Huh. How about that.

NO WAY! It does!

I'm a little in awe. This is like a grail rifle. For me at least.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:44:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sagillman] [#32]
Well looks like my plans to buy a Howa in 6.5CM are out the window. I made a thread weeks ago on the hide about using a Ruger American to build off of, now they went a built it for me .
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:50:14 PM EDT
[#33]

View All Quotes
Huh. How about that.

NO WAY! It does!

The 6.5 Creedmoor version is an absolute hammer. 8.4 mils (+/- a tenth here and there) to 1000 yards, repeatable half MOA accuracy out of a 5R CHF barrel, 70degree bolt throw, barrel swaps using AR15 action wrenches, street price hovering around $1k... Ruger sort of ran the table on this one. I'm very happy to see innovation like this.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 12:27:17 AM EDT
[#34]
If you move quick turners.com still has 6.5 Creedmoor versions of this rifle for $999.98 + shipping (no credit card fee).

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 1:03:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By sagillman:
Well looks like my plans to buy a Howa in 6.5CM are out the window. I made a thread weeks ago on the hide about using a Ruger American to build off of, now they went a built it for me .
View Quote

I ordered the Howa action and XLR chassis in a group buy so I guess if I get the ruger it will have to be a 243
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 11:25:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sdboy] [#36]
The only decision I have is whether to sell my 300 win mag and get one or keep the 300 knowing how little I will shoot it and get the 6.5 also.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 12:50:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bearcat24] [#37]
When I started looking for a bolt action in an AR type setup about a year ago, there was really nothing out there unless you pieced one together. Looks like Ruger hit a home run with this. Will be curious if other AR  manufacturers jump into this market. Wish this would have come out 3 weeks ago before I bought a bolt rifle. Now to consider selling something to get one.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 1:57:12 PM EDT
[#38]
When I started looking for a bolt action in an AR type setup about a year ago, there was really nothing out there unless you pieced one together. Looks like Ruger hit a home run with this. Will be curious if other AR  manufacturers jump into this market. Wish this would have come out 3 weeks ago before I bought a bolt rifle. Now to consider selling something to get one.
View Quote

Other than the furniture it really has nothing to do with a AR. They would have to totally retool for something like this
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 2:11:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 2:13:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:58:22 PM EDT
[#41]
I ordered a 243 from an LGS.  We will see how good it is.  It will be my "budget" long range gun.  I think I'll throw a PST 6-24 on it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 5:13:21 PM EDT
[#42]
I sent an email to ruger asking if they will do custom orders such as different barrel lengths. Will see what they say but doubt they will for awhile anyways.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 7:09:49 PM EDT
[#43]
I sent an email to ruger asking if they will do custom orders such as different barrel lengths. Will see what they say but doubt they will for awhile anyways.
View Quote

Not going to happen unless you're a distributor. They are touting easy to change barrels so you can just swap afterwards.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 7:14:35 PM EDT
[#44]
My  LGS can't even find it to order all the major distributors don't even list it yet.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 7:24:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RePp] [#45]

Not going to happen unless you're a distributor. They are touting easy to change barrels so you can just swap afterwards.
View All Quotes

Would be awesome to get a 16 inch barrel and throw some short hand guards on it have a nice compact rifle you could stick in a pack.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 8:14:23 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By RePp:

Would be awesome to get a 16 inch barrel and throw some short hand guards on it have a nice compact rifle you could stick in a pack.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RePp:

Yup but if all you want is a shorter barrel that is a cheap and quick fix.

Too bad it isn't like the Tubb were the barrels are already headspaced and just screw in. Think they have a nut you can turn by hand the EDM guns or a Uzi.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 8:29:04 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm curious to see how the barrel attaches.  I'm sure it isn't going to be just an AR style barrel with no gas port.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 8:48:29 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By TeeRex:
I'm curious to see how the barrel attaches.  I'm sure it isn't going to be just an AR style barrel with no gas port.
View Quote

The barrel tenon is threaded, so you actually screw the barrel into the receiver until it headspaces correctly with the bolt (you need go/nogo gauges for this). Then, you tighten down the barrel nut as a jam nut to keep the barrel from moving in the receiver. THEN, there's another nut that screws onto the barrel nut -- this last nut is called the handguard nut and it is basically the same as an AR15 barrel nut.

There are some decent photos of this setup here.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 9:09:35 PM EDT
[#49]

Sell the 300WM if you aren't using it. I sold mine after it was sitting in the safe taking up room and I was shooting all my other short action calibers more. Had no need for the energy or extended range of the 300WM. I find my Creedmoor does everything I need and cheaper.
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By sdboy:

The only decision I have is whether to sell my 300 win mag and get one or keep the 300 knowing how little I will shoot it and get the 6.5 also.

Sell the 300WM if you aren't using it. I sold mine after it was sitting in the safe taking up room and I was shooting all my other short action calibers more. Had no need for the energy or extended range of the 300WM. I find my Creedmoor does everything I need and cheaper.
I just started dialing it in too. Believe it or not it is my daughters favorite tannerite gun and she just turned 15. It beats you up pretty good after 20 rounds though. I may have it threaded and put a brake on it to tame it down. Problem is i keep reading guys taking these 6.5s out just as far as a winmag with less kick and better ballistics. I am really searching for an upside to keep the 300 but I am failing at the moment. Are you getting out as far as you would with your 300 in the wind?

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 9:17:33 PM EDT
[#50]

The barrel tenon is threaded, so you actually screw the barrel into the receiver until it headspaces correctly with the bolt (you need go/nogo gauges for this). Then, you tighten down the barrel nut as a jam nut to keep the barrel from moving in the receiver. THEN, there's another nut that screws onto the barrel nut -- this last nut is called the handguard nut and it is basically the same as an AR15 barrel nut.

View All Quotes

Originally Posted By TeeRex:

That's what I thought. Would be cool to see some people who make savage and remage barrels make ruger barrels. A lot of people in GD saying they are basically just AR barrels but there would be multiple issues with that.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 90
Ruger Precision Rifle (Page 1 of 90)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top