Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2013 1:05:56 PM EDT
I was fleshing out a bear skull last night for the beetles when I discovered a wicked injury on the lower jaw. That must have hurt like crazy!

Link Posted: 6/13/2013 1:50:22 PM EDT
[#1]

Is that a piece of bone?
Link Posted: 6/13/2013 2:22:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Ken_in_Va:

Is that a piece of bone?

Yes, a very dead piece of bone. Lots of infection inside the cavity behind the tooth.

Link Posted: 6/13/2013 3:59:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Had aguy up here flesh a skull. It had a piece of another bears tooth embedded in the snout area.
Link Posted: 6/13/2013 4:14:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By rizzo1318:
Originally Posted By Ken_in_Va:

Is that a piece of bone?

Yes, a very dead piece of bone. Lots of infection inside the cavity behind the tooth.

Damn, that guy was hurting
Link Posted: 6/13/2013 4:24:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Ouch.  Just imagining that hurts.
Link Posted: 6/13/2013 4:27:11 PM EDT
[#6]
so a piece of bone got stuck in its jaw? or its a piece of the bears skull that broke?
Link Posted: 6/13/2013 4:38:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Balista] [#7]
That's osteomyelitis with some bone necrosis = sick bear.
Link Posted: 6/13/2013 6:15:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/13/2013 6:18:16 PM EDT
[#9]
post pics when the beetles are done with the skull please.
Link Posted: 6/13/2013 6:19:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By dalesimpson:
Somebody did that bear a favor.
Ouch

Link Posted: 6/13/2013 7:48:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Balista:

Tell me more. I'm always interested in the medical concepts behind these injuries. If you want to see some more crazy damage from skulls I have cleaned, let me know and I will post them up. Used to have a skull thread in the Small Game forum but it went away, so I'll have to repost the pics here.
Link Posted: 6/13/2013 8:12:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By dalesimpson:
Somebody did that bear a favor.

Ouch

Yup. Looks like you put him out of his misery. He must have been grouchy as hell
Link Posted: 6/13/2013 11:20:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Tell me more. I'm always interested in the medical concepts behind these injuries. If you want to see some more crazy damage from skulls I have cleaned, let me know and I will post them up. Used to have a skull thread in the Small Game forum but it went away, so I'll have to repost the pics here.

Yes please post more pics.
Link Posted: 6/14/2013 12:17:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Glen,

Post up!!!
Link Posted: 6/14/2013 12:42:51 AM EDT
[#15]

Chupacabra brawl?

Link Posted: 6/15/2013 2:49:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Here's a bear skull from a hunter in Oregon - this bear had some kind of serious tumor in his jaw that destroyed a lot of bone and made other parts of the jaw grow out in a werid way. This is one of the nastiest injuries I have ever seen on a skull that I have cleaned.

Look at the left part of the jaw and you can see where the bone and teeth are all messed up.

Here's a bobcat that had broken canine teeth.

Here's a gray fox (bad picture) that had almost no teeth left to chew with!

I have other pictures of crazy injuries on skulls that I have cleaned, I'll have to see what I can dig up when I have the time. And for anyone who is interested, here is the archived thread that I used to post a lot of skull pictures in. I got too busy to post pictures and then when I went to post some new pics the thread was gone! Bummer. Skull thread in archives.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 1:01:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rizzo1318] [#17]
Here's the jawbone from the OP all cleaned up, fresh out of the degreaser but not whitened yet. The damage is pretty incredible.

Link Posted: 6/26/2013 11:29:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Really neat stuff.

Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 6/27/2013 10:54:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Seems the hunter did the bear a favor if it was shot. That had to make life tough.
Link Posted: 6/27/2013 11:55:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/27/2013 3:41:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By disorientedpilot:
The amount of porosity in that injury is incredible. You'd think that bear would have just run in front of a semi at that point... or he was actively trying to break his tooth out.

I'm finishing up 2 other bear skulls right now, and they have messed up teeth, as well - though not as bad. In fact, most of the bear skulls I clean have broken teeth, missing teeth, busted jaws, etc. The life of a bear is a tough life, it seems.

Link Posted: 6/29/2013 12:18:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Here's a bear I just finished today - notice the missing front teeth. Bears must chew on rocks!

Link Posted: 9/13/2013 12:35:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rizzo1318] [#23]
Here's the cleaned up bear skull from the OP - that tooth is barely hanging on!

And here's another black bear skull I recently finished that was aged at 18 years old (tooth extract) - lots of busted up teeth:

Link Posted: 9/13/2013 1:04:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GENESMITH:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

+1
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 1:16:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By nightdh:

+1
View All Quotes

+1

I recently put up a new skulls thread in the Small Game and Trapping forum - lots of skull pictures plus I step-by-step of the cleaning process done in photos.

Skull Cleaning - it's fun, gross, and amazing
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 1:23:21 PM EDT
[#26]

I recently put up a new skulls thread in the Small Game and Trapping forum - lots of skull pictures plus I step-by-step of the cleaning process done in photos.

View All Quotes

+1

Thank you
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top