Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2014 2:07:42 PM EDT
I played around with ammo cans as cases, but I always got funny looks from the PETA people letting their dogs defecate all over MY park.  So, I put my brand new FT-857D and associated stuff into a $25.00 case I got at Harbor Freight.  First power-up was about 30 minutes ago.

The batteries are individually fused and switched.

Have a happy Memorial Day and lift a glass to all those who gave everything so that we can party with family and friends.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 2:11:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Bad ass setup!!!
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 2:13:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Very Nice!
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 2:29:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey, I've got nearly the same setup but the case is a silver one from menards.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 4:30:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice setup but someone is going to ruin your day if the top closes.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 4:47:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

If you're looking at the coax in between the bottom and cover, I suspect that the top would spring before the cables would get cut.  If you're looking at the exposed contacts on the batteries, they'll get insulated as soon as I'm sure I have all the wiring just right.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 4:49:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Great looking setup.

Can you tell me a bit about that meter? What does it do besides voltage?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 5:11:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks great!  Is that 650 mA on RX with audio?

I ask because I just designed an off-grid power config for my station, and my fully loaded Flex 5000 station with all accessories draws exactly 4 AMPS on RX!!!  
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 5:15:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

If you're looking at the coax in between the bottom and cover, I suspect that the top would spring before the cables would get cut.  If you're looking at the exposed contacts on the batteries, they'll get insulated as soon as I'm sure I have all the wiring just right.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes it was the coax. They do make fully insulated 1/4" quick connects.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 5:17:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Great looking setup.

Thanks.
View Quote

Here's the manual to the one I got, and his looks identical.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/forum/uploads/7563/Wattmeter.zip
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 5:52:16 PM EDT
[#10]
You can put a couple bulkhead fittings on the side of the case and use a short jumper to connect to the back of the radio. No worries about the lid closing on the cable. You'll need to use a small rectangle piece of metal to reinforce the sidewall of the case.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 6:39:00 PM EDT
[#11]
EMCOMM Box Thread Tag for Tomorrow when I get back online Enshrinement Complete.........nice looking work!

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_22/648273_.html&page=1
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 6:54:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Looks great!  Is that 650 mA on RX with audio?

I ask because I just designed an off-grid power config for my station, and my fully loaded Flex 5000 station with all accessories draws exactly 4 AMPS on RX!!!  
View Quote

Yes, it was scanning and when it locked on a station the ammeter jumped all the way up to.68 amps.  The volume was high enough to be heard clearly over normal conversation.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 7:01:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Great looking setup.

Thanks.

Here's where I got mine.  The only thing I don't like is that it resets its stats whenever the load is turned off.  I wish it would show cumulative watt-hours and/or amp-hours used until the source is disconnected.  Then it could be used to get an idea of battery condition across several power cycles.

Watt meter

Link Posted: 5/25/2014 7:09:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Good work on that
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 6:04:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
EMCOMM Box Thread Tag for Tomorrow when I get back online Enshrinement Complete.........nice looking work!

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_22/648273_.html&page=1
View Quote

Is the link in that thread for "JC10311's ship comes in . . " supposed to come here?  It doesn't.  I stole a bunch of ideas from the people referenced in your thread.  Of course, it's really AR-Jedi's fault.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 7:28:26 AM EDT
[#16]
sorry bro, FIFY.....

eta: ship comes in = Harbor Freight.....bad attempt at humor
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 9:08:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
sorry bro, FIFY.....

eta: ship comes in = Harbor Freight.....bad attempt at humor
View Quote

AAHHHH, now I get it.  Thanks for the fix.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 12:54:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Ok, I think I'm done . . . for the weekend.  I got a chance to set up a temporary antenna using some surplus aluminum cammo net poles and a couple of antennas.  The top vertical is a home made dual-band J-Pole for 2m and 440.  The beam is a Cushcraft 3-element Yagi That I got last Friday.  I only put up seven poles today, but I have twelve.  Each one is 4' overall with about 4" of overlap, which would get the top to about 44' (4"X12 of overlap comes out of the height).

I made a guy wire bracket out of plywood with a hole somewhat larger than the poles.  It sits on top of a couple of saddle brackets and allows the whole mast to be turned freely while still supporting it.  Now that I know it works, I'll make a few out of a plastic cutting board.

The base is pinned to the ground using some tent stakes and a half block just to be sure it doesn't walk around.

I'm going to go drink a beer or six and see how many contacts I can make.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 1:26:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Nice!

They make a tilt up hinged spike that might make it easier for you.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 1:56:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Attachment Attached File

That 6m beam used to belong to me.

Glad that Derek45 found a good home for it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top