Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2013 4:00:16 PM EDT
Okay, so I'm a little late to the EMCOMM party, but so what...I still would like to play if possible -

Yaesu FT-857D for HF and back-up VHF/UHF
LDG Tuner and SWR meter

Kenwood TM-D710A with Green Light Labs GPS module
Mini Digital VHF/UHF Power and SWR Meter

Tigertronics SignaLink USB

Windows Notebook

Powerwerkx Rack Mount P/S
West Mountain Rig Runner 4005
West Mountain Super PWRgate PG40S

I know, I know, it's not orange or green, but if I could find a way to coat it durably, it would be OLIVE DRAB GREEN, oh yes...it would be GREEN!!!

Still finishing mounting the last few pieces and still need to wire the box, but it's coming together. Also working on some portable power as well...

Four 22aH AGM Batteries
Morningstar Solar Controller
Two 50 watt solar panels
Digital Battery Monitor
1000 watt Inverter

1800 watt portable generator

Feel free to critique!!!
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 4:04:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Holy pics not loading batman...

Other than that, awesome!
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 4:10:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Holy pics not loading batman...

Other than that, awesome!
View Quote

Sorry about that...should be all good now.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 4:11:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Not going to work
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 4:31:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Why the pull chains?
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 4:32:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Not going to work
View Quote

Huh???
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 4:34:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Why the pull chains?
View Quote

They're nothing more than dust caps to protect the so-239 connectors when not in use.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 4:40:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
They're nothing more than dust caps to protect the so-239 connectors when not in use.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why the pull chains?

Ah ok thought maybe they were switches which is what caught my attention

Link Posted: 12/3/2013 5:09:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Huh???
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not going to work

Huh???

You haven't chosen orange or green
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 5:19:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Not bad. It's a huge box. I really don't think you'll need all the fans in the back unless you plan on running very long digital transmissions. FT857s don't get too hot during operation. I would wire 2 fans in series (x2) to reduce speed and eliminate a lot of potential audio noise.
Nice job!
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 5:23:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I like your style...

I hate the holes (missing power supply) in the power supply rack panel. I am debating on putting a drawer in the bottom 2U space.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 5:34:13 PM EDT
[#11]
I wish I had about 7 less projects so I could work on one of these.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 5:52:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Not bad. It's a huge box. I really don't think you'll need all the fans in the back unless you plan on running very long digital transmissions. FT857s don't get too hot during operation. I would wire 2 fans in series (x2) to reduce speed and eliminate a lot of potential audio noise.
Nice job!
View Quote

Thanks for the suggestion Gyprat. Just me being cautious...better safe than sorry. Will have to see how the box performs from both a temp and noise perspective. Could wire the fans in a hi/low speed configuration.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 5:55:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not going to work

Huh???

Still waiting on suggestions as to the best way to color the box...
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 6:04:19 PM EDT
[#14]

My first attempt at a go kit with HF/VHF/UHF capability and Pactor3.

More current configuration. The LDG was replaced with an SGC-230 (in the case on top), and the Rigblaster Pro was replaced by a Signalink unit.

Better shot of the SG-230 in it's case. Note that one can indeed paint rack-cases and Seahorse cases. Krylon Fusion is made for plastics.

A better view of the paint job on the SG-230 case. My rack case is painted the same and I have added a mic/radio A/B switch and foot mic switch.

Link Posted: 12/3/2013 6:04:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I like your style...

<a href="http://s829.photobucket.com/user/dougherty0311/media/Go%20Box%20-%20Portable%20Station/IMAG0041_zps1f64a9f2.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz220/dougherty0311/Go%20Box%20-%20Portable%20Station/IMAG0041_zps1f64a9f2.jpg</a>

I hate the holes (missing power supply) in the power supply rack panel. I am debating on putting a drawer in the bottom 2U space.
View Quote

Thanks Dougherty! Still working on some things to use in order to fill in those ugly holes in the Powerwerkx p/s plate. Can't believe they ship them out that way if you don't order the dual p/s.

The 2U drawers are big and will hold most all the emcomm box paraphernalia - cabling, coax, hf antennas, manuals, etc.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 6:14:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Better shot of the SG-230 in it's case. Note that one can indeed paint rack-cases and Seahorse cases. Krylon Fusion is made for plastics.
A better view of the paint job on the SG-230 case. My rack case is painted the same and I have added a mic/radio A/B switch and foot mic switch.

View Quote

Well organized set-up pcsutton! What do you typically power the box with???

I've had some success with Krylon Fusion on plastic...I'll need to think about that for awhile, I know they have both safety orange AND green available. Thanks for the suggestion!
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 6:15:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Which make and model is that case?

Also instead of carrying around a ton of manuals I keep a thumbdrive in my go bag with all the manuals and reference documents I use.
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 6:36:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Another good idea, thanks Jazzemt! Maybe a good comprimise would be to have the laminated "Nifty Manuals" for the radios available AND the full documentation stored on a thumb drive. Guess I'll be adding that to the list...

The case I used is a Gatorcase. It is a 6U size, although they are available in many sizes. Holy crap, I just checked the website that I purchased mine from and they have them for $60 off!!! Check this out: 6U Gatorcase Get 'em while you can...
Link Posted: 12/3/2013 6:50:23 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I've had some success with Krylon Fusion on plastic...I'll need to think about that for awhile, I know they have both safety orange AND green available. Thanks for the suggestion!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I power the box with an Iota Engineering DLS 75/IQ4 75 amp smart charger into a battery box holding a spiral gel-cell Optima deep cycle battery. The float charger powers all the radio gear and keeps the battery topped off. If power is interrupted the battery will cover everything until I can get my Honda genset fueled and fired up. Then the float charger goes back on line.

The Krylon comes in camo colors. I use OD green, forest green, brown, white and black. Random camo paint jobs are a snap to touch up if they get scratched, but the Fusion paints appear plenty durable.

I carry all the MARS manuals, freq lists and roster info as well as all the forms, the repeater directories and the memory setup backups for all my radios on a waterproof USB drive. That's a really great idea, but you can also carry your radio's memory data should you need to reprogram your radio's memory. The Corsair Survivor Stealth 32 gig stick is USB3 and bullet proof.

Link Posted: 12/4/2013 4:01:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I power the box with an Iota Engineering DLS 75/IQ4 75 amp smart charger into a battery box holding a spiral gel-cell Optima deep cycle battery. The float charger powers all the radio gear and keeps the battery topped off. If power is interrupted the battery will cover everything until I can get my Honda genset fueled and fired up. Then the float charger goes back on line.

http://www.iotaengineering.com/dls75.htm

The Krylon comes in camo colors. I use OD green, forest green, brown, white and black. Random camo paint jobs are a snap to touch up if they get scratched, but the Fusion paints appear plenty durable.

I carry all the MARS manuals, freq lists and roster info as well as all the forms, the repeater directories and the memory setup backups for all my radios on a waterproof USB drive. That's a really great idea, but you can also carry your radio's memory data should you need to reprogram your radio's memory. The Corsair Survivor Stealth 32 gig stick is USB3 and bullet proof.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTDpCK9IpGFWwb2poHU_ySRg_mUID4OnXHafUVKr4-YdQsDsgLZyA

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.iotaengineering.com/dls75.htm

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTDpCK9IpGFWwb2poHU_ySRg_mUID4OnXHafUVKr4-YdQsDsgLZyA

Nice battery/charger choice. I went with four 22aH AGM batteries for complete "off the grid" operation, but have the Powererks p/s and PWRgate for normal operation/battery charging.
I'm diggin' your 32gb USB stick, I'll need to look around for one of those.

What else are people powering their emcomm boxes with???
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 5:23:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

What else are people powering their emcomm boxes with???
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/4/2013 7:23:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not going to work

Huh???

Cerakote, if that doesn't attack the plastic.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 3:38:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 5:39:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Thank you SCWolverine for finding my emcomm project worthy of being added to the esteemed "Emcomm Box Thread"!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top