Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2012 11:03:52 AM EDT
I have completed Phase 1 of my EmComm box project. Phase 2 will happen when and if I get an HF rig.

The box is an 18.5" Bolton Tools Waterproof Case. (http://www.boltonhardware.com/category/%3Cfont-color=ff0000%3E-bolton-tools%3C-font%3E/tool-box-tool-case-tool-chest/18-inch-watertight-case-with-convoluted-lid-foam.php) It is very well made, and should work fine. I couldn't justify getting a Pelican for double (or more) the price.

Inside the box, I have mounted a 22Ah AGM battery, a MegaWatt 36A Power Supply, all connected to a Low Loss PWRgate made by KI0BK (). Gotta help a fellow ham out. The cool thing about the LLPWRgate is that it has 2 sets of PowerPole connections for powering multiple radios (up to 25A total) or whatever other 12V gadgets I need to plug in.

All of this is feeding a Yaesu FT-8800R.

Everything is mounted to a piece of 3/8" plywood that rides on the foam that was in the bottom of the case.

The case comes with a solid layer of foam, a thick "pick-n-pluck" layer, and a layer in the lid. The PnP was not used. The plywood was then cut to create a removable platform that the FT-8800R rides on. When it is time to deploy the rig, I can put the case on the ground under the table, and then the platform with the radio sits on top of the table. This saves lots of desk space if I am using a laptop or there are multiple operators sharing a table.

Mike F

Link Posted: 8/10/2012 1:42:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice setup!

You will like the LLPG, just wait until you get some storm roll in, it will come in handy.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 2:02:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Great job Nice radio! Very familiar with it. It looks so naked without one of these:

Tactical Radio Carriers

No true arfcommer would go big and not go full Black

Does an excellent job of encasing your investment when outside the confines of the emcomm box. The retractable stand and red nylon carrier strap are a bonus.

Link Posted: 8/10/2012 4:21:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Great job Nice radio! Very familiar with it. It looks so naked without one of these:

http://www.tac-comm.com/image/Empty%20Carrier%20compact%20with%20lid_6W.jpg

Tactical Radio Carriers

No true arfommer would go big and not go full Black Orange

Does an excellent job of encasing your investment when outside the confines of the emcomm box. The retractable stand and red nylon carrier strap are a bonus.

Fixed it for you before arjedi feels a shiver in the force.
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 8:48:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Tactical Radio Carriers

No true arfommer would go big and not go full Black

I like that.     Not big enough for a lot of HF radios though, dang it

Link Posted: 8/10/2012 11:00:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tactical Radio Carriers

No true arfommer would go big and not go full Black Orange

Fixed it for you before arjedi feels a shiver in the force.

Nothing a little Duracoat can't solve...
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 4:36:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tactical Radio Carriers

No true arfommer would go big and not go full Black

I like that.     Not big enough for a lot of HF radios though, dang it

Before I started building, I drew everything out on CAD. If I remove the foam from the case and lid, there should be enough room for an FT-857D or an IC-706.....Or I'll just spring for the 20" version of the case and redo the whole thing.
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 9:21:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Tactical Radio Carriers

Hey that will fit my 7k... yep gonna order one...
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 3:51:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tactical Radio Carriers

Hey that will fit my 7k... yep gonna order one...

Closest thing to having picatinny rails for your rig!  

Ooooh... mounting points...
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 4:57:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Looking good. I need to get off my butt and get one done.
Link Posted: 8/11/2012 9:15:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/12/2012 10:53:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Before I started building, I drew everything out on CAD. If I remove the foam from the case and lid, there should be enough room for an FT-857D or an IC-706.....Or I'll just spring for the 20" version of the case and redo the whole thing.

I was looking at the Tac-Comm case.   I have a FT-450 and they have no carrying handle or bail (though we can get them from Yaesu now) but that case is a little too small.   I take the rig out portable quite a bit and some extra protection would be nice.

Right now I carry the electronics in a carry on suitcase padded with a soft towel.   It does the job I guess, and it is cheap.

Link Posted: 8/12/2012 4:34:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Add a red led on a PP connector for stealth night ops.
Link Posted: 8/14/2012 5:30:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Getting a buddy to burn me one of these on the plasma cutter as we speak-modified a little of course to hold my 857d and z100.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top