Warning

 

Close
Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Cancel Confirm
AR15.COM
4/23/2008 7:10:20 AM EDT
I picked up a couple of medium ALICE packs ....

How are you to use the cords that are attached to the inside of the bottom of the main bag?

thanks
4/23/2008 7:17:55 AM EDT
[#1]
To tie in a USGI waterproof bag as a liner. Though I have not see one of the liners in years - the new USGI WPBs do not have grommets on the bottom to secure them.
4/23/2008 7:19:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. I will have to see check out the WPBs.


4/23/2008 11:27:48 AM EDT
[#3]
My med alice came with three small WPB's and one large main comparment WPB.  For those who haven't seen them in years, I didn't know I was that lucky.  my med alice was also new and unissued from Smith and Edwards in UT.

I always just assumed (you know the results of that) that the ties were for securing items in the pack (sleep gear, large items, etc.).  
4/23/2008 11:44:03 AM EDT
[#4]
hey XM15Carbine,if you have 3 sets of 550 like cords and a matching set of D-rings inside the main bag you have a 1st/early issue of the med.size A.L.I.C.E  LC-1 rucksack...later issues of the med. size rucksack did not have the cords and D-rings....o.k. to answer your question ,the cords and D-rings inside your main bag are to reduce the size of the bag to use as a sort of assault pack when not filled with alot of kit and not for some type of waterproof bag secure system...remember the A.L.I.C.E. famliy of equipment did not have a buttpack in the set only the medium and large rucksack....but the 1st/early issues of the LC-1 rucksack did come with a set of very thin pack liners for each pocket and main bag,those liner were very cheap and flimsey...later issues of the ruck did not come with those liner and the soldier had to use the standard issue water proof bag....vince g. 11b inf...
4/23/2008 12:16:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
hey XM15Carbine,if you have 3 sets of 550 like cords and a matching set of D-rings inside the main bag you have a 1st/early issue of the med.size A.L.I.C.E  LC-1 rucksack...later issues of the med. size rucksack did not have the cords and D-rings....o.k. to answer your question ,the cords and D-rings inside your main bag are to reduce the size of the bag to use as a sort of assault pack when not filled with alot of kit and not for some type of waterproof bag secure system...remember the A.L.I.C.E. famliy of equipment did not have a buttpack in the set only the medium and large rucksack....but the 1st/early issues of the LC-1 rucksack did come with a set of very thin pack liners for each pocket and main bag,those liner were very cheap and flimsey...later issues of the ruck did not come with those liner and the soldier had to use the standard issue water proof bag....vince g. 11b inf...


THANKS 11Binf    Mine are new and have three sets of cords but no D rings that I can find? I'm still looking for pack liners anyone have source, are they really needed or will something else work to keep things dry?

XM15carbine
4/23/2008 4:07:52 PM EDT
[#6]
hey XM15Carbine,the D-rings should be directly across the cord ties underneth the radio pouch..two more things are is that a real LC-1  1st issue ruck will have a plastic window for your name tag on the side closest to your back and around that area  it will have the name of the manufacturer like (eastern canvas products) they also made canvas buttpacks in the 1960's and early 70's and made alot of the nylon 1st issue items for the A.L.I.C.E. equipment  familiy...for a waterproof bag just find a regular issue WPB you can find from most any surplus store,also put your stuff in ziplock bags to keep your kit dry...vince g. 11b inf...
4/23/2008 4:16:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok I will look tonight thanks

XM15carbine
4/24/2008 3:56:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
hey XM15Carbine,the D-rings should be directly across the cord ties underneth the radio pouch..two more things are is that a real LC-1  1st issue ruck will have a plastic window for your name tag on the side closest to your back and around that area  it will have the name of the manufacturer like (eastern canvas products) they also made canvas buttpacks in the 1960's and early 70's and made alot of the nylon 1st issue items for the A.L.I.C.E. equipment  familiy...for a waterproof bag just find a regular issue WPB you can find from most any surplus store,also put your stuff in ziplock bags to keep your kit dry...vince g. 11b inf...


found them..... thanks...... right where you said they would be...


Sign up to continue the discussion

Create a free account to share your thoughts, follow topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.

Already a member? Sign In