Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 72
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 10:16:12 AM EDT
[#1]
are you looking for something like this?

I got it from http://blueirissoftware.com/

I think it was $59.00 when i got it 4 years ago
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 10:24:17 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By louisianarebel:

I have hdmi run to my tv from PC. with just the blue iris screen up with cameras. You can get baluns to run it over cat5/6 to hdmi.
View Quote

I should mention that all my cable runs terminate in my networking/gun closet. So there is no just tapping into the feed right at the source. The house is fully networked, however.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 10:26:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: packingXDs] [#3]

Originally Posted By coldair:

are you looking for something like this?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v95/coldair/its%20happening/bluieiris_zpsmeowfx5y.png
I got it from http://blueirissoftware.com/

I think it was $59.00 when i got it 4 years ago

View Quote

Yep and aware of Blue Iris. Do they sell an appliance? I do not have anything but a dual booted laptop with Windows on it. I would pay damn good money to get something like that running on an appliance I could plug up to my TV or stick on my network rack.

ETA:

The last ditch idea that I can think of is to build out a 1U, throw Windows + Blue Iris. But damn that is really blowing the budget. Napkin math puts a solution like that approaching $750.

Link Posted: 9/30/2015 10:26:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Saw these recently discussed on a thread outside of ARFCOM and thought someone here might find them useful.

While they are small and act like touchscreen tablets they do require an external power source.

I don't know if they have enough power to do any actual recording but they can be useful as a viewing source. They are generally used as media devices running Kodi to watch IPTV or stored media. Can be also be used to watch streamed video on a TV via HDMI. To me they are a little short on ram.

Links left cold on purpose.

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/PIPO-X9-8-9-inch-2G-64G-Dual-Boot-Windows-10-Android-4-4-Tablet-Mini-PC-Intel-Z3736F-Quad-Core-WiFi-Bluetooth-Ethernet-HDMI-353402.html

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/PIPO-X8-Windows8-1-Android4-4-Dual-Boot-Mini-PC-7--Tablet-Intel-Z3736F-Quad-Core-2G-64G-802-11b-g-n-LAN-BT4-0-HDMI-348043.html

Link Posted: 9/30/2015 10:49:33 AM EDT
[#5]
anyone know why my HIKVISION 3.0Mp HD POE Outdoor Waterproof Vandalproof 2.8~12mm Verifocal Dome IR Network IP Camera w Alarm/Audio DS-2CD2732F-IS cameras put out a night picture like this

but the Hikvision DS-2CD2132F 4mm CCTV Dome Camera with Full 360 Degree Rotation Capability and Built in Micro SD slot U.S Version mini dome does this excellent job of night vision

Link Posted: 9/30/2015 11:08:50 AM EDT
[#6]

anyone know why my HIKVISION 3.0Mp HD POE Outdoor Waterproof Vandalproof 2.8~12mm Verifocal Dome IR Network IP Camera w Alarm/Audio DS-2CD2732F-IS cameras put out a night picture like this

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v95/coldair/its%20happening/H3.20150930_035016_1_zpsm1syf20d.jpg

but the Hikvision DS-2CD2132F 4mm CCTV Dome Camera with Full 360 Degree Rotation Capability and Built in Micro SD slot U.S Version mini dome does this excellent job of night vision

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v95/coldair/its%20happening/Gate.20150930_040902_1_zpssnzrvcxj.jpg

View Quote
My first thought is that in the first one the light coming in from the right hand side is confusing the camera. Best light is when light comes in from behind the camera or the major light bloom is hidden from camera as in the 2nd pic.

Link Posted: 9/30/2015 11:09:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Looks like the cams internal IR LED's light is reflecting off the inside of the dome.

I've got the same problem in a dome with an Axis PTZ, and much less with another.

Might be some sort of internal optical coating that's the reason for the difference.

Solution --external IR source.

Link Posted: 9/30/2015 11:26:57 AM EDT
[#8]
some of the differences between the two cameras is the good picture camera is labeled USA model and it has 2 small bags of desiccant  tied inside the camera on the base of the swivel. at first I was going to take it out and then I forgot it was there when I installed the camera.

my theory is the desiccant is absorbing moisture in the air inside the camera housing after the sun goes down and the housing cools off in my humid climate in SWFL. or perhaps a firmware update is better for the US model
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 11:32:57 AM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By SandHillsHillbilly:

My first thought is that in the first one the light coming in from the right hand side is confusing the camera. Best light is when light comes in from behind the camera or the major light bloom is hidden from camera as in the 2nd pic.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SandHillsHillbilly:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v95/coldair/its%20happening/H3.20150930_035016_1_zpsm1syf20d.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v95/coldair/its%20happening/Gate.20150930_040902_1_zpssnzrvcxj.jpg

The light would be my guess as well. I had some trouble getting a couple cameras pointed just right not to be washed out by perimeter lights.
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 12:49:11 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote
I'm guessing the light on the right is messing with the image and causing the reflection on the dome.

Link Posted: 9/30/2015 10:27:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 8:24:25 AM EDT
[#12]
I decided to give zoneminder another run for the money. Took a few hours to actually get it up and running. About the time I got to setting up motion detection I started getting these funny messages followed by some loud beeping from my desktop.

[Thu Oct  1 06:02:05 2015] CPU1: Core temperature above threshold, cpu clock throttled (total events = 908953)

Even worse is that I wouldn't be able to record video with it, CPU melting aside. Turns out one cannot create symlinks on a CIFS mount which is the primary means ZM uses for structuring event files. But it did do enough heavy lifting to have near real time viewing on the TV via the RPi.

The search continues...
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 12:04:27 PM EDT
[#13]
So how bad are those Panasonic camera kits from same club? I have a small budget but need something soon
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 3:32:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 5:09:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Finally ordered a system from Nelly's last week.  Hikvision 7716NI-SP/16 NVR w/2x4TB drives, 3 - 2CD2132F-I 3MP 2.8mm domes and 3 - 2CD2032F-1 3MP 4.0mm bullets.

Two days later they release the 4MP cams for the same price.  Typical.  LOL

Waiting to get it now.  Ready to get to play.
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 5:40:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Ok - getting ready to jump in the IP pool and upgrade my existing analog system. Had an attempted car break in last Halloween and while the footage was decent, it wasn't what I was hoping for. Now we are in a new house and I would rather upgrade everything right from the get-go.

Thanks for everyone's contributions here and based on what I have been seeing, I think that the Hikvision gear is where I need to be from a price/performance standpoint. Now the questions is where to get it. I definitely want the US retail/upgradeable firmware version and am willing to pay a bit more to get it. I have tracked down both the NVR and cameras on Ebay and Amazon and was ready to pull the trigger, then I saw a reference to "Nelly's Security".

Sorry if I missed this somewhere in the thread, but does anyone have any experience with this vendor and their "unbranded" Hikvision gear? They state that it is English firmware and fully upgradeable, but I would feel more comfortable hearing from some of the folks here.

Good experiences? Bad experiences? Somewhere in the middle? Any other recommended sources for the non-Chinese versions?

I'm looking at the 8-Channel Hikvision NVR with a combination of Hikvision bullet and dome cameras (either 3 or 4MP).

Anything you can share would be much appreciated - thanks!

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 6:56:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:11:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:

I have ordered all of my Hikvision stuff from Nelly's... and I'll tell you why.

"Grey market" or "unbranded" OEM cameras are almost NEVER covered by the company's warrant policy.  Try to send it back?  They'll tell you to go f*ck yourself.  

Nellys warranties all their own cameras in-house.  It's not a factory warranty (eg. you're not sending it back to Hikvision), it's a VENDOR warranty.   However, they do honor it, and the one camera I had that died was promptly replaced by Nellys.   They're a reputable vendor, and they also offer guides and tech support (I had an issue with a PTZ that they helped me resolve).

Disclaimer:  I don't work for/with them in any way.  I'm just a satisfied customer.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DogWizard:
Ok - getting ready to jump in the IP pool and upgrade my existing analog system. Had an attempted car break in last Halloween and while the footage was decent, it wasn't what I was hoping for. Now we are in a new house and I would rather upgrade everything right from the get-go.

*Snip

I have ordered all of my Hikvision stuff from Nelly's... and I'll tell you why.

"Grey market" or "unbranded" OEM cameras are almost NEVER covered by the company's warrant policy.  Try to send it back?  They'll tell you to go f*ck yourself.  

Nellys warranties all their own cameras in-house.  It's not a factory warranty (eg. you're not sending it back to Hikvision), it's a VENDOR warranty.   However, they do honor it, and the one camera I had that died was promptly replaced by Nellys.   They're a reputable vendor, and they also offer guides and tech support (I had an issue with a PTZ that they helped me resolve).

Disclaimer:  I don't work for/with them in any way.  I'm just a satisfied customer.

Thanks - that's exactly what I was hoping to hear. I am trying to avoid the grey market/brown-box imports but was concerned because Nelly's straight out states that their cameras are "unbranded". Has everything you've received from them been full retail packaging with Hikvision labeling? I understand that their 3 year in-house warranty is in place of the Hikvision warranty. If their service is as solid as it appears to be I'm not too concerned, but if I'm going to pay extra, I would prefer the real-deal US market versions.

Thanks again!

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 10:16:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/3/2015 10:48:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Damn, that's  a good system what are you running
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:12:41 PM EDT
[#21]

If it's analog, don't waste your money.  IP is cheap enough now that it's worth it for the performance gain.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dayphotog:
So how bad are those Panasonic camera kits from same club? I have a small budget but need something soon

If it's analog, don't waste your money.  IP is cheap enough now that it's worth it for the performance gain.

they have the Q-See 4 ip  camera set for $400 or so on sale. How is that? we just want a real simple setup. We live on in the middle of 40 acres and 4 cameras would completely cover all we need protected

Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:39:05 PM EDT
[#22]

I use the mobotix stuff... that's all built-in.
View All Quotes
what are you using for microphones and speakers? I need something I can put on my gate to listen in and talk back to at my gate. I have a call box but I swear some people are too stupid to push the right buttons

I use the mobotix stuff... that's all built-in.

You run all Mobotix at home, or do you just mean for entry/door?
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:42:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/5/2015 8:28:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 7:31:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Could the problem with the Mobotix color camera with the IR be the frequency of the IR used?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 10:43:53 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:06:50 PM EDT
[#27]

I need this pricing... they send me emails... but no buy button.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 10:09:24 AM EDT
[#28]
So motion detection. Do you guys use your NVR or the camera for handling the processing? Obviously distributed load if on the cameras, but at what cost. Do the cheaper IP cameras tend to have garbage motion detection? I finally sucked it up and bought a license pack for the Synology (despite most features being broken on most platforms). At least I can record the feeds for the time being. I have four cameras, 1 IP312PI and 3 IP311PI. The config page looks pretty low rent, but I suspect most do. Is it worth me booting into Windows and firing up FF to test motion sensing directly on the cameras?
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 3:13:00 PM EDT
[#29]
I use Blue iris and it was only 49 bucks, seems to work great
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 7:08:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By louisianarebel:
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j26/louisianarebel14/cam_zps4uemqbz6.jpg
I need this pricing... they send me emails... but no buy button.
View Quote

Reviews are mixed on these but they can be found online.  

Network camera critic:link

If you want to buy one: Link

Link Posted: 10/11/2015 9:21:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 9:37:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By packingXDs:
So motion detection. Do you guys use your NVR or the camera for handling the processing? Obviously distributed load if on the cameras, but at what cost. Do the cheaper IP cameras tend to have garbage motion detection? I finally sucked it up and bought a license pack for the Synology (despite most features being broken on most platforms). At least I can record the feeds for the time being. I have four cameras, 1 IP312PI and 3 IP311PI. The config page looks pretty low rent, but I suspect most do. Is it worth me booting into Windows and firing up FF to test motion sensing directly on the cameras?
View Quote

I don't use any motion detection at all, I just record everything from four cameras into four 3TB hard drives under Milestone Xprotect Essential.  The Xprotect software shows you when motion happened on each camera with the timeline when reviewing recorded video.  It's using the full camera view of course and seems to be pretty good at catching everything more obvious than a small animal at night.  What it also catches are trees blowing in the wind, the shadows of trees blowing in the wind, and lighting changes due to small clouds making things light, dark, light, etc.  Motion detection is probably good in certain situations but I wouldn't use it as the only way to record video in an installation.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 11:16:42 PM EDT
[#33]

Originally Posted By KwaiChangCaine:
I don't use any motion detection at all, I just record everything from four cameras into four 3TB hard drives under Milestone Xprotect Essential.  The Xprotect software shows you when motion happened on each camera with the timeline when reviewing recorded video.  It's using the full camera view of course and seems to be pretty good at catching everything more obvious than a small animal at night.  What it also catches are trees blowing in the wind, the shadows of trees blowing in the wind, and lighting changes due to small clouds making things light, dark, light, etc.  Motion detection is probably good in certain situations but I wouldn't use it as the only way to record video in an installation.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By KwaiChangCaine:

I record 24/7 at 30fps. I mainly want motion so I can have an easily referenced email when there is actual motion VS having to go back through hours/days of footage. Right now its just too noisy as in the past 12 hours I have ~250 emails from my cameras. Which defeats the whole purpose of what I am trying to achieve.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 8:58:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 9:51:04 AM EDT
[#35]

Make sure you turn the sensitivity down, and use the "exclusion zones" to mask off any vegetation.  Then you need to walk test it.

You always get some false alarms with motion detection... But that will help
View Quote

I have sensitivity and threshold settings available for tweaking. Just haven't found the right balance yet. I get the false alarms down and it won't even notice me coming in the door. Go the other way and it might as well be 1 fps recordings . The sweet spot still alludes me.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 9:39:46 PM EDT
[#36]

I have sensitivity and threshold settings available for tweaking. Just haven't found the right balance yet. I get the false alarms down and it won't even notice me coming in the door. Go the other way and it might as well be 1 fps recordings . The sweet spot still alludes me.
View All Quotes
Make sure you turn the sensitivity down, and use the "exclusion zones" to mask off any vegetation.  Then you need to walk test it.

You always get some false alarms with motion detection... But that will help

I couldn't use motion detection today if I wanted to, especially this time of the year.  The Sun is low in the sky, there were no clouds, the trees still have leaves, and it was really windy all day.  Looking back at the recorded video of all four cameras it's just constant motion of the shade of the trees filling most of the view of all of them.  Want to detect motion at the driveway, back door, etc?  Either the shade is moving or piles of leaves are blowing around all day long and the Milestone timeline was solid red all day.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 9:32:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Has anyone played with the new Hikvision 4MP cameras yet? Any comparisons between the 3MP and 4MP versions? The cost difference is minimal, but given the great reviews for the 3MP models, I'm wondering if the increase in resolution is worth the risk of experimenting with a newer model.

Link Posted: 10/17/2015 10:58:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 4:30:14 PM EDT
[#39]
This guy has some pretty decent reviews of Hikvision cameras.

http://www.networkcameracritic.com/
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 4:40:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 11:39:20 PM EDT
[#41]

IIRC, the primary author of that site died last year.  

Very sad... His reviews were quite good
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ZoomieFoosh:
This guy has some pretty decent reviews of Hikvision cameras.

http://www.networkcameracritic.com/

IIRC, the primary author of that site died last year.  

Very sad... His reviews were quite good

According to his site new reviews are coming. It looks like someone is taking the torch. My one concern is that the 'announcement' is dated back in June of this year.

NEW REVIEWS ARE COMING

The blog will continue and new reviews will be posted soon. Network Camera Critic has been an invaluable source of information for many who are looking to build home systems. Not only are we keeping all of the existing posts, but we will be making some changes shortly. You will continue to have new and reliable reviews on all of the latest and greatest in the security industry.

Make sure to look out for new posts and bookmark NCC for all of our latest updates.

Sincerely,

Family of NCC
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 11:47:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LTCetme] [#42]
IR illuminator questions...

I've bought a couple of cheapo 12VDC small illuminators to use in conjunction with my baby monitor cameras since the illuminators work so much better but they are just not lasting. After taking one apart it looks like they are not designed to sink the heat off the LEDs very well and heat eventually kills the diodes. I'm thinking about getting a bag of diodes and trying to get one back up and running but I'm probably better off just buying a new one (or two). I'd like something small with a light sensor so it isn't running during the day. I aim them at the ceiling of the room and so far that has the bast effect of flooding the room. I just want something that lasts longer and is better at removing the heat. The smaller 48LED size is fine with me.

what I have been using

Any recommendations?

My fear is something like this  would be overkill.
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 5:06:34 AM EDT
[#43]
I am no stranger to harbor freight or walmart. But these two seem to be relatively identical with a substantial difference in price. I think the walmart one is being blown out because it is old technology. These seem like they would be quick to put up, I like the SD card recording and wireless. Are there any better options in the same price range? I'd like to purchase ASAP and quality wise I they need to last until I can get my ass out of dodge.

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-channel-wireless-surveillance-system-with-2-cameras-62368.html?utm_source=101315-62368

http://www.walmart.com/ip/23423682
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 8:25:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 8:27:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 5:51:20 PM EDT
[#46]

The difference might not even be very noticeable.

It definitely won't be like the switch from Analog to IP-based megapixel
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DogWizard:
Has anyone played with the new Hikvision 4MP cameras yet? Any comparisons between the 3MP and 4MP versions? The cost difference is minimal, but given the great reviews for the 3MP models, I'm wondering if the increase in resolution is worth the risk of experimenting with a newer model.

The difference might not even be very noticeable.

It definitely won't be like the switch from Analog to IP-based megapixel

That was my thought as well - I just don't think that there will be enough real-world improvement to stray away from the established models.

Thanks for chiming in!

Link Posted: 10/19/2015 7:03:56 PM EDT
[#47]

Looks like an older analog system... I'd pass.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MALT0SE:
I am no stranger to harbor freight or walmart. But these two seem to be relatively identical with a substantial difference in price. I think the walmart one is being blown out because it is old technology. These seem like they would be quick to put up, I like the SD card recording and wireless. Are there any better options in the same price range? I'd like to purchase ASAP and quality wise I they need to last until I can get my ass out of dodge.

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-channel-wireless-surveillance-system-with-2-cameras-62368.html?utm_source=101315-62368

any suggestions on alternatives? Looking for something to mount on my window sill and record to an sd card. I can access the camera very easily. I want to take it with me when I move in a year.
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 7:23:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 7:41:27 PM EDT
[#49]

Inside or outside the window?  

I could use some measurements:  What size area are you hoping to cover?  How far away would any objects-of-interest be?  How is the light during the day and at night?  

A picture or two would help quite a bit.
View All Quotes

any suggestions on alternatives? Looking for something to mount on my window sill and record to an sd card. I can access the camera very easily. I want to take it with me when I move in a year.

Inside or outside the window?  

I could use some measurements:  What size area are you hoping to cover?  How far away would any objects-of-interest be?  How is the light during the day and at night?  

A picture or two would help quite a bit.

I am the end unit of a townhouse court with a parking lot in the middle. there has been a rash of vandalism and cars getting broken into. I don't need crystal clear video, but I would like audio, some night vision capability, and onboard storage.

This would be mounted outside of a 2nd floor window. I realize a dedicated system is the way to go, but I have been getting by with a gopro like camera hooked up to a 5v power cable through the window. The camera is not waterproof and the nightvision is terrible (because it is not a night vision camera). So basically anything would be a step up. The two systems look good, but if there is a better option at or above that price point im all ears
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 8:28:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hondaciv] [#50]
Can I get an opinion on this setup?  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16881183053 LaView LV-KN988P86A4 Premium IP Surveillance System 8 Channel NVR + 6 x Full HD 1080P Day/Night In/Outdoor Cameras (No HDD Included)

I need new cameras, and I don't want to spend over 1000.00 for a good setup.

I might be tempted by this setup http://www.amazon.com/Q-See-QT8616-8Z7-3-Channel-High-Definition-Cameras/dp/B00VAILCYY/ref=sr_1_1?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1445302400&sr=1-1&keywords=Q-See+QT8616-8Z7-3+32

Q-See QT8616-8Z7-3 32 Channel 3 MP/1080p HD NVR System with 8 High-Definition IP 3 MP/1080p Cameras and 3 TB Hard Drive (White)
Page / 72
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top