Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 72
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:34:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm late to this party, but I wanted to jump in and mention a pretty good free multi-cam manager I've found. It's called I-Spy and is available on Windows. It's open-source and seems to be quite active with continuing development... they offer updates very often and are constantly adding features and bug fixes.

It reminds me a lot of ZoneMinder, but I haven't used either enough to really compare the features.

I don't guess this is necessarily a recommendation, I just wanted you all to at least know of it in case you'd like to try it.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 10:31:02 AM EDT
[#2]
For my home, I use Asante (indoor) and Vivotek (outdoor) cameras - these megapixel cameras are easily available online and at a reasonable cost.  The software is Security Monitor Pro, an excellent video surveillance software and I love it.  It has time based recording and motion detection alerting, remote viewing, along with many other features that are useful. Easy to use and reliable.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 11:09:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 11:48:01 AM EDT
[#4]

Are there any Linux-based (Ubuntu 13.10 or 14.04) NVR packages that'll work w/ Acti cameras?  I've about had it w/ Acti's NVR software...

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 2:27:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sgthoskins:
Anybody have any tips for keeping spider webs off of external cameras?  I am out almost every night clearing at least one of my cameras.
View Quote

A small piece or two of a 'sticky pad' [mouse pad]  and you will think you just invented a poor man's neutrom bum for spiders and bugs.

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 6:55:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By HomeSlice:

Are there any Linux-based (Ubuntu 13.10 or 14.04) NVR packages that'll work w/ Acti cameras?  I've about had it w/ Acti's NVR software...
View Quote

What NVR version are you using?

What are the issues you are having?
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 10:22:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By bigshooter81:

View Quote

Do you use Acti's NVR?

I'm on 3.0.7.04

Two biggest issues are:  1) it crashes/burns, and leaves a message on the screen instead of respawning, and 2) it's a resource hog

I'm quite frankly frustrated with windows server also.  It seems to get slower everytime MS releases patches.

It's on a dual 2.93 GHz xeon quad 8GB box running 2008R2 SP1 standard.  While that's not exactly an new box, there's no reason for it to poke along.

Just ready to try something new I guess.

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 10:34:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KwaiChangCaine] [#8]
Originally Posted By EXPY37:

A small piece or two of a 'sticky pad' [mouse pad]  and you will think you just invented a poor man's neutrom bum for spiders and bugs.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By EXPY37:
Originally Posted By sgthoskins:
Anybody have any tips for keeping spider webs off of external cameras?  I am out almost every night clearing at least one of my cameras.

I enjoy watching the bugs on the cameras but I just might try that, thanks for the tip!  I also catch a lot of cool flying bird footage.

I'm overdue in providing an update to the forum and will try to post one soon.  I have three Axis cameras and one Vivotek, all streaming 720P 30 fps to Milestone Xprotect Essential running on an AMD X6-1090T with three 3 TB storage drives.  The only real issues are the Vivotek's inability to stay in complete focus (A known problem with them), and the care and feeding of the recording server (A known problem with Windows ).  The Milestone 2013 is much more stable than the previous releases I've used.  ETA:  I also had some other stability issues that were fixed by upgrading to the latest Axis firmware.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 8:22:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 11:13:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KwaiChangCaine] [#10]
I thought I'd share some more to give people an idea of some of the variables you run into.  It was still light out, but after the Sun had went beyond the horizon when I took this, twilight.  We have county clean sweep coming up so my neighbors have junk piled up at the curb.  I had stuff down there too but the scavengers took ALL of it!  I guess I was keeping some good stuff for all those years after all.  The empty boxes by the garbage and recycle bins are from the same cleanup project...  There are a couple of yard lights illuminating various areas of all of these cameras.

The Vivotek FD8134V named Camera 1 in the lower right has already switched to IR mode.  It looks good at this point but soon the built-in IR illuminators will be clouding the screen with IR glare.  I do NOT recommend this camera.  Among many issues, the focus gets lost as the plastic lense threads expand and contract with the heat and cold, and the glare from the IR on the dome makes it almost useless in the dark.

The one in the lower left is the Axis P3346-VE.  This is a great camera and the highest resolution of all of mine, but an older design and seriously sucks when trying to do motion in low light.  Even with this much light, anyone walking at a slow pace will be blurred and will need to stand still for a sec to get a usable image.  During the daylight it's a great camera.

The P3384-VE above it to the top left is an awesome camera.  I didn't really need the extra features of the 3384 and should have just went with the 3364.  It can be set to either WDR (Wide Dynamic Range) or Lightfinder, but not both, and I keep it in Lightfinder mode all of the time.  It will stay 100% in color mode due to the yard lights and Axis' Lightfinder technology.

Lastly, the P3364 at the top right is the last camera I've purchased.  It's just like the 3384 but without WDR.  This is my go to camera for sure and I plan to replace the Vivotek with one.

And here we are after I just typed all of that above.  It's completely dark out and the Vivotek can see with its IR but mostly just a cloud of garbage from the dome reflections.  Can you tell I wish I had never bought that camera?  It was around $300 from Amazon and I only got it because it was the best I could find that would fit where I needed it.  Now I will be changing things so a camera that actually works will fit there.

Tha P3346 is still in full color and will be all night, but any motion will be super blurry.

The P3384 is working great and will stay in full color all night!

The P3364 will be in full color most of the time but will switch between it and B&W mode off and on through the night.  Either mode works well and it keeps switching because the ambient light is right at the changeover point with about 50% darkness in its view.  The overall light is right at the change point and cars going sown the street make it switch even more.  I have watched the shadow of less than a full moon be recorded moving all night.  This is my favorite camera on price vs. performance.

LOL, my daughter just asked me to tell her if her cigarettes were on the grill and I said yes.  See them in the pic?

I also highly recommend the Milestone Xprotect Essential software.  I haven't used anything else besides some demos of other products, and I did find it difficult to setup, but I found the price to be reasonable, and the latest 2013 version is really stable and reliable.  I was 600 miles away recently and could view my cameras on my server live with my iPhone!  When I did run into issues due to their licensing scheme, their tech support was quick to answer and very helpful.

ETA:  A final edit after complete darkness.

The Vivotek is as bad as it gets.  The P3364 is in B&W mode and noisy, there is no Moon or starlight.  You can see the background has become dark on the other cameras.  Still full color on the other cameras, but time to implement an illumination solution for when the yard lights and other sources aren't there...

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 3:20:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Has anyone used windows home server for a system.  I use it for backup, media box etc. I'm wondering if I can install blue iris or something similar on it instead of doing a dedicated box.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 4:03:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 9:06:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:

That Vivotek looks like crap.    

I was going to advise you to use more IR, but I can see the internal reflection you're talking about.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By KwaiChangCaine:
I thought I'd share some more to give people an idea of some of the variables you run into.

That Vivotek looks like crap.    

I was going to advise you to use more IR, but I can see the internal reflection you're talking about.

I've regretted getting it since day one, and only got it because it was the only camera I could find that physically fit where I wanted it.  Another project will soon block that camera, so a replacement will be needed soon.  I also hope to do some external IR lighting with battery backup after that.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 10:45:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 9:36:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Internal IR reflecting back... Can you open it up and disable the IR and just ad external source?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:23:33 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a couple cameras that were fine for a few years and now look like that.

I think there is water condensed on the lens. I only shows up at night reflecting internal IR.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 5:35:19 PM EDT
[#17]
I can disable the built-in IR through the web management page, but then it's too dark back there unless I turn on a few outdoor lights.  I need to get the external IR illuminators.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:14:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Anyone use of the cloud based DVR's for their CCTV cameras?

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:52:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:44:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Torque556] [#20]
TGM, I could use some assistance.  Lately there have been a string of break-ins around the corner, and just the other day our neighbor called the cops after seeing someone peering in their windows.  I am looking to get a camera yesterday.  I'd like cheap, but I know it doesn't always work that way.  We are looking into PTZ PoE cameras, and would really like to stick to those requirements.  It'd be nice to use for watching wildlife as well, hence the PTZ.  We are also sticking with one camera for now, at the vulnerable corner of the house so it can pan and see both sides of the house.  We'd like PoE for ease of installation.  Dad has a lot experience with the programming and networking side, and is comfortable with networking/installing/whatever else, and also has bulk cable, and conduit running on the inside of the walls.  I'm just not sure what camera to get.

I found this one:
Link. - Dahua SD42212SN-HN

I also saw the Hikvision you posted a couple pages back, which looks appealing, though doesn't have PTZ.

Could you critique this set up for me?  Do we need zoom?  Or do you have any suggestions for better (or cheaper that get the same job done) cameras, illumination, or anything else?  I'm mostly concerned with being able to identify a person, and imagine it could be from a distance anywhere from 2 to 50 feet.

Thanks so much.  This thread is overwhelming.  Good job!  
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:27:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:48:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Torque556] [#22]

-snip-

Timely thread is timely.

I have that exact camera, and I've been evaluating it.   I'm unfortunately not in a position where I can give you a full write-up on it, but I can tell you it does work.  However, I'm having a bit of trouble getting my DVR to talk to it (and record the images to storage).  However the web interface of that camera does work, and it does provide a very good picture.

It does let off a faint high-pitched whine from the internal fan, but you're only going to notice it in a quiet room (or you've got my wife's ears )

View Quote

Wow, how about that!  I look forward to your write up on it, but we may end up comparing reviews, as I don't think I can wait for it.  I will run this one by my dad and see if he's willing to figure out the DVR issue.  Though he's got some sort of license for some sort of security camera software which came with his four hard drive RAID array, not sure of all the specs.  I'll get back to you.

Just quickly, the pan, tilt, zoom, all works up to expectations?  Should I get an external IR illuminator?  We've got a flood for the back of the house that we rarely turn on. Thanks again, you're the best.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:56:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:22:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Balista] [#24]
Just ordered two new 1000TVL 700 Sony variable focal length cameras.  $97 for two shipped.

1000 TVL high resolution Eyeball-style dome offers great image quality with Sony Effio-E DSP Chipset color 1/3" high resolution CCD sensor. This dome comes in multiple color preferences (metallic grey, black and white) and a metal body for vandal proof surveillance. Features 1000 TVL 2.8-12mm Lens 1/3" Sony Effio-E DSP Chipset ICR (Infrared Cutfilter Removal) 36 IR LED units with a distance of up to 98 feet Easy 1 screw lock Weatherproof (IP66) 12VDC 1 Year Warranty Image Device 1/3" Color Sony Effio-E DSP Lens 2.8 - 12mm Effective Pixels 1296(H) x 1041(V) Horizontal Resolution 1000 TVL Minimum Illumination 0 lux (With IR LED on S/N Ratio More than 48dB Body Color White Electronic Shutter NTSC: 1/60 to 1/100,000 sec ICR Yes Gamma Characteristic 0.45 IR LED 36 Units, up to 98ft Video Output 1.0 Vp-p composite, 75O Automatic Gain Control Auto Power Source 12VDC Operating Temperature -30C - +60C Dimensions 4.7" x 3.24" Weight 1.28lbs Package included: 1pc Camera 1set Mounting Screws / Anchors 1 pc User Manual
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:13:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 6:01:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Thanks for the link.

Here is an example of one of the Sony cameras just shipped in today. Not bad for $47 a piece.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 12:46:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2tired2run] [#27]
Am I expecting too much from the Hikvision,DS-2CD2132-I Outdoor HD 3MP IP Dome Security Camera 4mm, to think I would be able to read the number on the house across the street.  This was taken with the camera sitting in the window.  I want to test it out before climbing the ladder to mount in on the 2nd story eves.  

Full Size

Link to camera purchased
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:36:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#28]
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:08:02 PM EDT
[#29]

In short, yes.

Look at how wide that area is you're trying to cover.  It's at least 60-70 feet across or more (judging by the size of the vehicles).  That camera supplies 2048 pixels horizontally.

So divide 2048 pixels by 70-or-so feet and you get around 30-pixels-per-foot... NOT enough to read a house number.

Refer to this picture on page 2 of this thread:

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/TGrayman/CCTV%20pics/Plate-chart.png

You need to tighten up the field of view if you want to resolve numbers or faces... or switch to a MUCH higher megapixel-rating of camera.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 2tired2run:
Am I expecting too much from the Hikvision,DS-2CD2132-I Outdoor HD 3MP IP Dome Security Camera 4mm?

In short, yes.

Look at how wide that area is you're trying to cover.  It's at least 60-70 feet across or more (judging by the size of the vehicles).  That camera supplies 2048 pixels horizontally.

So divide 2048 pixels by 70-or-so feet and you get around 30-pixels-per-foot... NOT enough to read a house number.

Refer to this picture on page 2 of this thread:

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/TGrayman/CCTV%20pics/Plate-chart.png

You need to tighten up the field of view if you want to resolve numbers or faces... or switch to a MUCH higher megapixel-rating of camera.

Thanks.  From what I've found there are not a lot of cameras that are higher than 3MP and if I narrow the field of, which requires a different camera, then I'd have to make sure my car was parked in nearly the same spot every day or get a PTZ capable camera.  

The intent is to be able to ID someone trying to break into the cars parked out front.  Is that even possible assuming a budget under $400 for the camera?  It will be mounted on the 2nd story as I said so that may make things a little more challenging.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:56:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 1:11:05 PM EDT
[#31]
What do you think of Axis cameras?  I'm considering one of three models: AXIS M3026-VE, AXIS M3025-VE, or AXIS M3024-LVE.

If I understand it correctly, I don't need a DVR with these cameras since they have on-board storage. I currently have an el-cheapo 4 camera dvr system I bought off of Amazon. It's good for seeing what's going on, but the video quality is too poor to actually identify anything.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 2:45:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 9:59:41 PM EDT
[#33]
TheGrayMan, I ordered that camera ( and it came in yesterday.  I had enough time to wire it up with the power brick it came with and an Ethernet cable.  The image is pretty damn good, especially for what I'll use it for.  There are a good bit of gripes for me though, but I don't have time to write a full review quite yet.  My big gripe is it seemed the camera I received was a send-back.  The box was opened, and the red and black wires were stripped and frayed.  The AC power block wires were poorly tinned.  There were stickers on the box that were cut off and removed.  The plastic over the dome seemed like it was lazily placed, or replaced.

All-in-all, no real issues, and the camera was set up just fine.  I noticed the CD that came with the camera has a different program than what Nelly's Security offers as a free download.  I am trying both of them out.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 10:54:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:55:36 AM EDT
[#35]

Do you use Acti's NVR?

I'm on 3.0.7.04

Two biggest issues are:  1) it crashes/burns, and leaves a message on the screen instead of respawning, and 2) it's a resource hog

I'm quite frankly frustrated with windows server also.  It seems to get slower everytime MS releases patches.

It's on a dual 2.93 GHz xeon quad 8GB box running 2008R2 SP1 standard.  While that's not exactly an new box, there's no reason for it to poke along.

View All Quotes

Originally Posted By bigshooter81:

Do you use Acti's NVR?

I'm on 3.0.7.04

Wanted to pass along an update:

I nuked and re-installed the OS on this box, and upgraded it to 2012 R2.  Also, upgraded to most recent NVR software from Acti (3.0.9.16).  It's been solid as a rock for almost 3 weeks, and not sucking the sides in on the box.

I should've done this months ago.

Lest anyone get a negative opinion of this NVR software from my post, I'd like to upgrade my opinion of it from "POS" to "OK".

Link Posted: 8/21/2014 8:13:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:33:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 9:11:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Nice looking forward to updates.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 4:01:49 PM EDT
[#39]
TGM, first: thanks for this outstanding thread. A wealth of good info!

Second, an apology in advance if this has already been posted in the thread somewhere.  I browsed back through the thread pretty thoroughly, and didn't find it, but it's a big thread ;)

I've been dinking around with a home CCTV system for probably the last 10 years.  Varying between 4-6 cameras, all pretty much cheap, low-quality analog junk running to a ridiculously inexpensive Ebay DVR card.  Nonetheless, this system helped me resolve some problems we had had with a daughter-stalker, as well as helped local LE catch a neighborhood thief (using "neighborhood" loosely; it's a rural area with homes spread 1/4-1/2 mile apart).  Overall I have to say that the whole system has been remarkably reliable given what I have in it, and I'm definitely sold on the value of home video security.

I'm going to start moving towards an IP system, and starting out cheap again... just ordered three Zmodo IP cams (ZP-IBH13-W) to get my feet wet, intending to add better stuff as I can.

You mentioned a few pages back that you use Luxriot software.  I've been looking at Blue Iris, and I'd be interested in your opinion as to how the two compare.  Since I'll probably move beyond my current 4-cam setup, it looks like Luxriot would end up costing around $500, Blue Iris around 50 bucks.  I'm not opposed to spending more if it's really worth it, so I'd like to ask what you see the real advantages of Luxriot are over BI.  (I know I can download trials of each and probably will, once the cameras arrive).

Again, thanks for all the good info.  I'm sure I'll be hitting the thread hard when it comes time to upgrade/add cameras.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 9:58:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Is there a specific area for figuring out ports?  
I've got a foscam on port 80 working just fine, how do I set up a second cam (Acti ACM-8211)?
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 11:49:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 1:55:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:45:25 AM EDT
[#43]
I am not affliated with Nelly's in any way, but i wanted to share my expierence with them. I have been ordering quite a few of the Hikvision cameras and NVR from them. One of the cameras was not operating to my satisfaction. ( IR reflection on the dome )  I contacted Nelly's about the problem and after a couple of emails i shipped the camera back to them so they could take a look at it. They gave me a full refund for the defective camera. I will continue to do business with them in the future.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 1:29:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#44]
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 5:55:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Nice write up TGM, thank you.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:17:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 1:45:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 4:24:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 5:29:43 AM EDT
[#49]
What IR illuminator is that in the above post?  $$?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 7:43:17 AM EDT
[#50]

Originally Posted By midmo:

What IR illuminator is that in the above post?  $$?
View Quote
+1 I'd like to get one for a similar location.

Page / 72
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top