Link Posted: 5/25/2013 7:42:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/25/2013 9:43:51 PM EDT
[#2]
The trees at the bottom get the axe (chainsaw) tomorrow
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 3:50:08 AM EDT
[#3]
TGM,

I just read through the entire thread: the wealth of knowledge you've put together is amazing. Thank you for taking the time to document and share!

I have a few questions, assuming a 4-6 IP and 2-4 Analogue (through camera servers) setup using PoE, external IR illuminators and external PIR sensors:

1: Can you expect any interference (from or on) an amateur radio station? If yes, are there ways to easily combat it, such as chokes?

2: I noticed that (if it's not PoE) most of this stuff is 12V DC... most ham gear is 12-13.8V DC... is there any way to share a centralized power supply and battery backup?

Thanks for any info!

-.PPTRanger
Link Posted: 5/27/2013 12:08:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#4]
Link Posted: 5/29/2013 8:25:18 PM EDT
[#5]
The Gray Man:

Sorry if this has been answered already but the 81 (I red the first few pages) pages is kind of daunting and I am limited on time right now.

Last night we (2-3 houses on my block) got egged.  Now over the past 3 months someone has spray painted (tagged) ~ 15 cars and some fences.  The cops have no leads and no one has any idea who it is.  I am getting sick of this crap and would like to set up a security system to catch them.  I would like to do it as inexpensive as possible (money is tight right now) but I would like it to work.

my house is forty feet long and shaped like a rectangle (old 1970's HUD home).  We are set up on a grid with the other houses if that matters.  I think I could get the coverage with 2-3 cameras.  i would even settle for at least one.

What do you recommend?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/31/2013 11:56:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blackoperations] [#6]
Need some help selecting a IR illuminator, see the photos below.

Recently purchase this:

http://www.amazon.com/CMVision-IR30-WideAngle-IR-Illuminator/dp/B001P2E4U4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1370053047&sr=8-2&keywords=IR+Illuminator

Here are some photos:

The quality of photos suck, because they were screen shots taken over the network. These are Zmodo cameras, not trying to excuse their performance (they suck) but they do look better straight off the DVR...lets not make this about the performance of the cameras, rather the IR illumination (I plan to upgrade the cams).

Not bad for the price, but obviously this thing will not cut it for the yard, does ok on the porch, but sucks aimed into the yard. Question is, what IR Illuminator will fix the obvious problem without breaking the bank?
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 12:32:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 12:44:47 AM EDT
[#8]

You need something with more IR output for the yard... it's simply a question of insufficient power, and a narrow beam.  I have a couple of those supercircuits puck illuminators, and it would be like attempting to illuminate your whole front yard with a surefire.  You get one lit area, and the rest is dark.  

You want something wide-angle, and something that puts out more light.  Something like this would probably do a better job.

What are your thoughts on this?

http://www.amazon.com/CMVision-IR200-Outdoor-400-500ft-Illuminator-Adapter/dp/B004V9Z7ZY/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 1:16:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#9]
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 9:46:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By TheGrayMan:
Originally Posted By Blackoperations:

You need something with more IR output for the yard... it's simply a question of insufficient power, and a narrow beam.  I have a couple of those supercircuits puck illuminators, and it would be like attempting to illuminate your whole front yard with a surefire.  You get one lit area, and the rest is dark.  

You want something wide-angle, and something that puts out more light.  Something like this would probably do a better job.

What are your thoughts on this?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71LNNeTtPdL._SX300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/CMVision-IR200-Outdoor-400-500ft-Illuminator-Adapter/dp/B004V9Z7ZY/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header

Don't do that.  You're going to have the same problem.  That illuminator will spotlight badly, and even if you aim it at a distant target, your camera can't see jack 200+ feet away.

You want dispersed, even illumination.  You want a floodlight... not a spotlight.

ETA:  here are two images to illustrate the point

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/TGrayman/westside.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg286/TGrayman/utilities2.jpg

Which would you rather have?

what is the model of that one? Looks great.
Link Posted: 6/1/2013 4:26:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/5/2013 7:23:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 1:37:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/27/2013 11:41:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Any chance of a recommendation for a camera setup as a baby monitor that can be viewed on an iPhone?

The dedicated "video baby monitors" are pretty expensive, usually ~$200+, and the handheld video units are generally pretty tiny.  I can't imagine the video quality is that great, either.

Heck I might have already asked this and can't remember...I apologize in advance if this has already been discussed.
Link Posted: 6/27/2013 12:33:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/27/2013 1:36:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SparticleBrane] [#16]
Originally Posted By SparticleBrane:
Any chance of a recommendation for a camera setup as a baby monitor that can be viewed on an iPhone?

The dedicated "video baby monitors" are pretty expensive, usually ~$200+, and the handheld video units are generally pretty tiny.  I can't imagine the video quality is that great, either.

Heck I might have already asked this and can't remember...I apologize in advance if this has already been discussed.

Just get a Foscam, and the app that goes to the iphone.  Or you can use IP Cam Viewer... I use the latter to control a wireless Foscam, and it works great over a wireless LAN.

Looks great!! Thanks.  I figured something that wasn't emblazoned with "baby" all over it would likely be cheaper and possibly higher quality.
Link Posted: 6/27/2013 10:17:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 10:04:42 AM EDT
[#18]
I just got an email from Monoprice advertising 10% off IP cameras.  Just a head's up for this crowd.
Link Posted: 7/6/2013 1:44:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/6/2013 10:58:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/6/2013 11:32:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/9/2013 1:39:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 10:15:52 PM EDT
[#23]
New PSU I presume?

My office just moved to a new building, and I noticed we have a few cameras now.  A bunch of expensive (my definition of expensive, at least -- looks like they're ~$500 each) Panasonic IP dome cameras.  I'll have to talk to the IT guy about them and see what he can tell me.
Link Posted: 7/11/2013 12:58:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/12/2013 10:12:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SparticleBrane] [#25]
New PSU I presume?

My office just moved to a new building, and I noticed we have a few cameras now.  A bunch of expensive (my definition of expensive, at least -- looks like they're ~$500 each) Panasonic IP dome cameras.  I'll have to talk to the IT guy about them and see what he can tell me.

The Panasonic IP domes can run closer to a grand each.  Great cameras...  but not cheap.

Panasonic WV-SW155 is the model number. Looking around online these are supposed to be really wide angle. They're pointed down a few hallways.

BTW I got that Foscam you recommended. Works great so far. Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/12/2013 8:17:45 PM EDT
[#26]
I've been meaning to share my setup for some time and I decided to do it now since a recent power outage here highlighted the need for some of the lighting solutions that TheGrayMan talks about so frequently.  I'll also be adding an Axis P3364-VE camera and reworking some of the setup soon so I don't have any security concerns about sharing my coverage, etc.  

After a few years of X10 junk, and then many more years of analog cameras with several DVR units I decided to slowly transition to IP cameras.  The first one I bought was an Axis P3346-VE and faced it down my driveway from the peak of the garage.  Awesome during the day but loses a lot at night and just sucks on motion in low light.  The processing in the camera is just too slow.  Then I added an Axis P3384-VE on the garage and a Vivotek FD8134V on the back of the house.  I needed a small camera there because of mounting space requirements.  

All the cameras are streaming 1280x800 to 1280x1024 at 20 to 30 FPS to a 6 core AMD PC running Milestone Xprotect Essential.  A 4-core AMD could not handle all that video with Milestone...

All these photos are taken from Milestone and they look even better straight from the camera.  Here's the cameras this afternoon.  Lighting conditions change a lot during the course of the day but this is how it is at the moment.

Axis P3384-VE facing North down the drive:

Axis P3346-VE facing Northwest:

Vivotek FD8134V facing Southeast:  See how badly the lighter areas are washed out by the Sun?

Axis P3384-VE at 0122 AM with the yard lights that are normally on.  This camera has their LightFinder technology and is still in color mode.  Areas towards the street that were completely dark with the P3346 are visible with this camera.

P3346-VE at same time:  Still in color mode because of the yard light.

FD8134V at the same time with IR illumination on:

Seconds after the last pictures were taken the power went out for the entire neighborhood.  My system kept running fine on backup power and here is what happened with the cameras.

P3384-VE quick changes to IR mode but can't see much because of super low light.  Pretty much worthless even with LightFinder.

P3346-VE took a full 10 seconds to switch out the mechanical IR filter and you can hear it click on the recording from the camera's built-in mic.  It was completely blind until the cutover.  It would be 100% worthless but it's getting IR light from the Vivotek.

FD8134V at the same time.    It didn't have to switch over since it was already in IR mode.
Link Posted: 7/14/2013 11:59:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Are there any decent wireless security camera systems?
Link Posted: 7/14/2013 6:20:33 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/14/2013 7:23:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/15/2013 5:54:28 PM EDT
[#30]

Just get a Foscam, and the app that goes to the iphone.  Or you can use IP Cam Viewer... I use the latter to control a wireless Foscam, and it works great over a wireless LAN.

I there any particular Foscam model that you recommend for a wireless baby monitor?
Link Posted: 7/16/2013 12:00:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 10:32:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Has anyone had success using ethernet through your electric outlets for their security cams?
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 1:11:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I'm using this one in the house, and I recommended the same to a friend whose wife just had a baby.  It's worked well for them, and they can access it with their Ipad over their home wifi.

Saves having to get up and walk to the baby's room when you hear her making noise at night.  Great peace of mind.

View Quote

I just picked up 2 of those and they are easy to set up and work well.
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 1:13:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By 67Roadster:
Has anyone had success using ethernet through your electric outlets for their security cams?
View Quote

Last I looked that has a 10 mb/s bandwidth.

Wifi is much better and ethernet is 100 mb/s and gigabit is 1000 mb/s
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 1:21:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/20/2013 10:50:38 PM EDT
[#36]
I apologize ahead of time for not having read through the 82 previous pages.  I read through some of the first few and I promise I'll go back and read more, but I just wanted to start getting some ideas for a system for my home.

Here's what I need:

-  IP based system
-  Single camera initially, possibility to add up to 3 more later as funds allow
-  First camera is to cover the driveway and vehicles in the driveway.  Driveway is about 50' long and 16' wide.  Camera could be mounted near the top of the garage which is at the end of the driveway.
-  Driveway is covered by a set of motion-activated lights, one on either side of the garage door.
-  Camera resolution good enough to identify faces in daylight or when lit up by the driveway lights.

I have two desktop computers at my disposal already but don't know how "intensive" the video recording software would be.  One computer is my "primary" which I used for almost everything (i5-2500k quad processer, 8gb of ram, Win7) and one is a very low-tech system that was designed as some sort of low-cost "green" PC that originally was supposed to run Linux, but now runs WinXP.  Could either one handle the recording?  Could the "primary" handle it while doing other tasks?  or would I need another PC?
Link Posted: 7/27/2013 10:44:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheGrayMan] [#37]
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 6:40:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Looking for a camera suggestion. It gets hard to keep it all straight when going through the spec sheets and reviews all day

Need a camera to watch the back yard, will be mounted outside of a second floor window so needs to be weatherproof and needs to be PoE and have a wide angle lens(90 degrees horizontal should be enough, 120 would be freaking awesome). The higher the resolution the better. $300 price point would be handy, the nicer cameras look like fun but are a stretch for my budget. Needing a separate IR illuminator is OK. Range to target viewing area is about 20 feet. I have a D-Link DCS-7010 out front that is working great, says it's a 73.5 degree horizontal FOV but still feels a bit narrow to me sometimes, it would be enough to watch the garage door but I'd like to be able to see more of the yard and patio without needing a second camera. I might get another one to watch the side of the house.

So, anyone have any ideas on a wide-angle camera that won't bust the bank?
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 7:32:02 PM EDT
[#39]
My acti 7411 just took a shit.

Gonna try and send it in for repair. ...... in fing Thailand

Link Posted: 8/6/2013 8:16:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 8:42:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By bigshooter81:

View Quote

I had a TCM-7411 that the POE stopped working.  I believe it went to CA for repair.
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 8:45:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By redjeepxj:

I had a TCM-7411 that the POE stopped working.  I believe it went to CA for repair.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By redjeepxj:
Originally Posted By bigshooter81:

Yep, it just won't power up.... completely dead.

What did it cost you to repair?
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 9:04:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Did you try powering up via the A/C adapter?  Mine worked that way just not POE.  Not sure what it was but one of the surface mounted components was burned.

Mine was under warranty so I just had to pay shipping to them.  They had it back to me in about a week.
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 10:26:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/11/2013 10:58:19 PM EDT
[#45]
I would like to post this I am in the swimming pool biz but If I can save one life it's worth it

http://www.poolcovers.com/pool-watchdog-swimming-pool-safety-cam/

Thank you

MrHold
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 10:14:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hawk1] [#46]
Could you answer a question for me? I did a search and looked through the thread but couldn't find my answer.

I have 6-7 analog 700tvl outdoor cameras to put up. 3 of those and a PTZ will be a longer run than the included siamesed cable. They're only about 100 feet max, but wasn't sure if I would be better off using cat5e (solid, 24awg, etc) with power baluns or with buying more siamesed cable? I like the cat5e for the smaller holes and ease at running the cable, but if I will get a better result from the siamesed, that's fine too since I will have to buy material in either situation.

If you suggest the cat5e, can you also suggest a quality balun (w/power) to use? I've seen a few, but prices are crazy different so not sure if one is better or just more expensive.

Thanks for your posts and info.

Edit for spelling

Link Posted: 8/14/2013 10:43:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/14/2013 11:05:17 PM EDT
[#48]

I'd definitely do baluns... no question.  It will also allow you to change those cable runs to IP-based cameras later, should you choose to do so.

As for brand, you can probably use whatever... just make sure your baluns also do power.  They're a fairly cheap part, so get a few extras while you're buying, just in case you get a bad one.  You should be able to get a pair for 15 bucks or so.  Here are some brand-name ones on Amazon.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By hawk1:

Could you answer a question for me? I did a search and looked through the thread but couldn't find my answer.

I have 6-7 analog 700tvl outdoor cameras to put up. 3 of those and a PTZ will be a longer run than the included siamesed cable. They're only about 100 feet max, but wasn't sure if I would be better off using cat5e (solid, 24awg, etc) with power baluns or with buying more siamesed cable? I like the cat5e for the smaller holes and ease at running the cable, but if I will get a better result from the siamesed, that's fine too since I will have to buy material in either situation.

If you suggest the cat5e, can you also suggest a quality balun (w/power) to use? I've seen a few, but prices are crazy different so not sure if one is better or just more expensive.

Thanks for your posts and info.

Edit for spelling

I'd definitely do baluns... no question.  It will also allow you to change those cable runs to IP-based cameras later, should you choose to do so.

As for brand, you can probably use whatever... just make sure your baluns also do power.  They're a fairly cheap part, so get a few extras while you're buying, just in case you get a bad one.  You should be able to get a pair for 15 bucks or so.  Here are some brand-name ones on Amazon.

Thanks for the info Gray Man.

I had seen those while doing some foot work. Not real happy that they have RJ45 jacks on them. I think I'd be better off wiring direct to the cat5e?

Any opinion on these?

Pricey, but not finding much else that looks decent or equivalent for less money .

Link Posted: 8/15/2013 1:30:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/15/2013 1:35:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 72
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top