Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2011 10:44:03 AM EDT
I completed the Point vs. Precision Course this week at the Sig Sauer Academy in Epping, NH.  The class was 4 hours from 6pm-10pm which is convenient.  The cost of the cost was very reasonable at $95 and the instructor was Scott Reidy.  The course started with classroom introductions and safety instructions then off to the range.  The indoor range is a great facility.  I like that as part of the tuition Sig Sauer will loan you any of their handguns, holsters, mag pouches, belts etc... you need for the course.  So you could try out a gun and take a great course for $95.  You spend a solid 3 hours running drills with your handgun (about 200 rounds).  The instructor has an impressive background in military, law enforcement and SWAT.  He is knowledgeable and very approachable.  I felt like he really cared about making all of us better shooters not running the same old routine day in and day out.  

I am trying to remember all the drills so here is a rough idea of what we did:
We worked on dry fire skills, precision shooting out to 25 yards(starting at 5 yards in 5 yard intervals), point shooting (the use of no sights out to 10 yards), we used a combination of paper targets, steel plates and steel poppers.  The frangible ammo was expensive ($21 for 9mm, $28 for .45acp) but you are allowed to bring your own as long as it meets their criteria.  However, you need it because I would not want to shoot ball ammo at steel from 3 yards.  Another plus is if you sign up for another course during this course you get 20% off the future course.  What I like the most is there was no time wasted with basic gun stuff that you would learn in a 101 course.  We went right into the drills to improve our skill set though I wish he could have taken just 10-15 minutes to critique on how we are doing drawing from a holster.  I highly recommend this course for the intermediate shooter.  I would also seek out this instructor if you plan on taking a course at Sig Sauer Academy.  I only live 30 minutes away from the facility and wish I had done this years ago.  One shooter drove all the way from Philadelphia to take this course and drove back that night.  He was glad he made the trip.

I hope this helps with your training search.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 3:39:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Ive taken a class of theirs, I enjoyed it
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 8:15:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Scott is a great instructor..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top