Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2008 10:55:02 PM EDT
Has anyone managed to get their unit into a shooting school for some good training?  It occurs to me that a lot of what's being taught in my unit is rather...dated.  There are any number of good schools out there, and I'm just wondering if anyone had managed to make a carbine or pistol class a reality for his or her unit.  Funding, I realize, would be one of several big constraints--likely the biggest, as Marine Forces Reserve is presently strapped for cash--but what other things are there to take into account?  Is this just unfeasible, or can it happen?  There'd be plenty of time, as my unit's annual two-week training goes next month, so if this is something that could be made to happen, the pre-planning might as well get started now.

Any input would be appreciated, so thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 6/10/2008 11:26:30 PM EDT
[#1]
No, but it does happen.  I would imagine that it's happening less and less as the purse strings tighten up, so many years after 9/11.  I can almost guarantee that no unit that isn't truly HSLD is going to get funding for that kind of thing.

The best option for you would be to set up a training event where you hosted those guys from the CMP that are certified by the USAMU to come to your location and put on a school.
Link Posted: 6/11/2008 8:13:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Most of the .mil guys I train with at Defensive Edge are doing it on their own dime.  As mentioned, I'm sure Sully or other instructors would travel to your location to do a class if you had enough participants.
Link Posted: 6/11/2008 3:20:21 PM EDT
[#3]
You may want to consider........<GASP>  the Army.....the AMU (Army Marksmanship Unit) puts on several high quality schools such as

SDM Squad designated Marksmanship...FordGuy did a complete AAR of the class.
  basically an intermediate sniper course
CQM- Close Quarters Marksmanship..which is basically a fighting carbine course...

these are Very good offerings with top notch instruction.. They may be open to other services as I know there matches are.. Best part is they are free and in the system. If you can get your rich Uncle to fund them then it will be no Out of pocket for the unit.
they have Billets available for cheap money as well.

Good luck

USAMU
Link Posted: 6/11/2008 3:56:41 PM EDT
[#4]
When i was in MARFORRES in a TRAP platoon we procured the services of a local county police SWAT range, then we hired some top tier instructors (some of which post here) to come in and train us. the hardest part was getting the ammo. once the head-shed got ammo we had more than we ever imagined. we also had a Master Guns who was career recon, had done the SF q-course, and the SAS course and every damn shooting schoolyou can imagine. he was our NCOIC and head of training.

If i was still in on the reserve side i would say send a few key senior NCOs preferably ones with combat arms or HSLD backgrounds (reserve units always have 1 or 2 of these guys) and send them to school. then they come back and teach everyone else. "Train the Trainers"
Link Posted: 6/11/2008 5:36:02 PM EDT
[#5]
You might want to check around with some of the active units that have just returned for the sand box and see if the could send out some of their Marines to teach. Some of the Military schools will, or have in the past sent out trainers to train off site. I have tought reserves and tankers machine gunnery and I was sent buy my unit. If you are looking for KD type rifle traing IM me and I can get you a contact that be able to help you out.
Link Posted: 6/11/2008 10:07:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks all.  KD range work is fairly well-covered.  It's the HSLD-type stuff that piqued my interest.  Sounds like this may be better approached as something to drum up interest and then look into a group rate for the Marines that would like to take part.  Good stuff--thanks again, gents.
Link Posted: 6/24/2008 3:03:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, I'm in Iraq now with a regular Army company.  Before we left, we had an intensive train-up period (duh).  After we did basic quals and got the "front-towards-enemy" business down, we were able to contract a local company to come tune-up our squad leaders before we began the live-fire shoothouse/cqb activities.  We looked into the fantastic POI that the USAMU puts out, but had to pass on that due to their logistic requirements exceeding our abilities.  We looked into the local full-time experts that live on our post, but other than the "know a guy who knows a guy who says he'll do it for a six-pack," we couldn't get a solid deal.  A local commercial guy runs kind of a "clearinghouse" of name-brand tactical trainers (and a kickass gear store) and he clued us to a solution for our problem.   Of course, we had to vet our plan through battalion and brigade channels, have the S4 do everything in their power to derail or discourage us, and finally the brigade commander signed the go-order.  It was a great class and all the squad leaders responded positively and concluded it was a great advantage in increasing the knowledge, skills and abilities of our young Paratroopers.  

PM me for the POCs if you're interested.  

ATW,
RED
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:49:18 PM EDT
[#8]
If you are overseas, contact the International Special Training Center out of Fullendorf, Germany. The teach Advanced Urban Combat Course, the Advanced Marksmanship Course and a host of others. The Instructors are a mix of NATO SF personnel but the school is run by our SF personnel.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:08:05 PM EDT
[#9]
My vote is for you guys to send a train the trainer team to the CQM course...I will be there in August.  Go back to your unit and  propegate the knowledge.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:11:55 PM EDT
[#10]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=667655
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top