Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 10/22/2009 2:15:41 PM EST
I was always taught to use the wall-body-weapon method when moving through a building or other urban areas. Now in order to maintain wall-body-weapon when carrying a rifle you have to be able to transition from your right shoulder to your left.

This always made using a 3-point sling such a pain in the ass. They were great when they first became real popular and almost everybody in my unit (including myself) got one. They rocked in the woods but sucked inside of buildings.

When I built my first carbine I got a 2-point sling from Viking tactics and realized I still had the same problem with transitioning shoulders. The only way I could do it was to have the sling as loose as possible and even then about every other time I try and switch shoulders the butt stock gets hung up in the sling. So I modified the sling to work as a single point and it is attached to a sling mount on the buffer tube.

What am I missing when it comes to 2-point slings? All the instructors I've seen lately have this set up, so it must be good gear. Am I overstating the importance of wall-body-weapon, or is there something I have to do different to use a 2-point sling?

Thanks,
Dave
Link Posted: 10/22/2009 4:45:20 PM EST
As far as Wall Body Weapon goes.
Slow and deliberate = shoulder transitions. Why, you've got the time.
Dynamic entry = gun stays in strong side shoulder. Why? Time is not on your side.
CQB is not a science, it is controlled chaos. Can't have a "by the numbers" mindset when doing it.

Slings, hell, there are pros and cons for all of them. I went through half a dozen slings before I started making my own. Good luck with that one.
Link Posted: 10/23/2009 5:08:38 PM EST
I use a Vickers sling and have no problems. One thing is I also attach the sling on the opposite side of the stock (i.e. the right side, and it comes up from there.) and I run it fairly loose. If I need it tight, I can tighten it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 5:32:55 PM EST
Originally Posted By chwi548:
I use a Vickers sling and have no problems. One thing is I also attach the sling on the opposite side of the stock (i.e. the right side, and it comes up from there.) and I run it fairly loose. If I need it tight, I can tighten it.

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 4:03:43 PM EST
Originally Posted By chwi548:

1+ I like the vickers. like everything else their are pro's and con's to it but overall i think it is the best.
Top Top