Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2011 11:55:51 AM EDT
So I shot a few Highpower and CMP matches last summer and was hooked immediately! I wanted an AR so I dont hafta beat my M1's to death. I shopped around and the best price I could find was around $1000 for a RRA NM. I knew I could do better!

Heres my sub $700 AR build!

PSA stripped Lower and LPK minus trigger assembly - $93.90
Complete A2 stock from EE-  $40
RRA NM Trigger from EE- $84.50
Gently used WOA service rifle upper from CMP forums- $475

Under $700 and Im throwing lead! Now all I need are a couple mags and a sling and Im ready to go! Just trying to decide between leather and Web..any thoughts?
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 12:15:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I like the single point bungee type web sling.  I've never used a leather sling on an AR, but I've had on on my hunting rifle and I did not like it at all.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 12:30:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I like the single point bungee type web sling.  I've never used a leather sling on an AR, but I've had on on my hunting rifle and I did not like it at all.

Not legal or useful for his purposes.  He needs a shooting sling, not a carry strap.

OP:  the cotton M1 sling works fine, but I'd suggest a Turner "second" leather.  Get a long one.

Turner
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 12:35:04 PM EDT
[#3]
You use a bungee sling for Highpower competition?
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 12:38:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I have an extra turner sling you can have.  PM me your address if you want it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 12:40:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I should probably learn to read good, and do other things good too.  My bad.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 1:33:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Pm sent!!  Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 2:56:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pm sent!!  Thanks!

No worries.  It's weird how you acquire stuff over the years.  Its also guaranteed to make you shoot High Master Scores!!!

Link Posted: 12/29/2011 6:38:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I have shot NM rifles with both slings.  There are pros and cons to both.  Since you seem to be on track for getting a leather, I would offer this advice:

First, learn how to take care of it and keep it in top functioning condition.  This year I went to the west coast for a match and an old Marine that teaches the first day "how-to" class spent a lot of time on the care and maintenance of the leather sling.  You may need to repair or replace the keepers after considerable use.  

Second, the leather sling is more complicated to get the loop formed and tightened on your arm.  Practice taking the sling all the way apart and then putting it back together many times.  Then practice taking the sling from the "loose slung" position for off hand to the looped position for sitting and prone (again, many times)  Make a note of which holes you use for each position.

The web sling is quick and easy, and I can cinch it up to whatever length I need.  The leather sling is more comfortable, but does have a slight limitation in setting the length because of the holes.  If you find that your perfect length is somewhere between two of the holes, you will just have to make it work.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/31/2011 9:45:34 AM EDT
[#9]
I wanna thank Amushooter for sending me not only a sling but a practical getting started kit!

You rock! Im setting sail on a cruise tomorrow when I get home I have some stuff Im going to "pay forward"

Thanks!

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 7:33:56 AM EDT
[#10]
AMUshooter10, giving you a big thumbs-up on that offer!    Nice to see people helping others out!
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 10:40:28 AM EDT
[#11]
AMUshooter10, well done!
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:39:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Hot damn AMUshooter10...
Link Posted: 1/8/2012 8:24:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Definitely one of my favorite wedding presents :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top