Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2007 2:54:37 PM EDT
I've always done comparatively better shooting pistols than my range buddies. I'm no expert and need to up the training but I'm interested in pistol shooting at the competitive level.

9mm is my caliber of choice but I also shoot lots of .357 and .44 mag.

Any suggestions on how to get started? Stock class would be good for me as I've never competed.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 6:57:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Since you prefer 9mm, I'm guessing you've got a semi-auto pistol.  Perfect and a great intro to the sport is Production Division (USPSA/IPSC).

Everything is scored minor so 9mm reigns supreme.  Get conventional concealment gear and you're good to go and can play in IDPA too!

Figure you'll need 3-4 mags.  Note you can only load 10 rounds in the mag (helps ban states) and the modifications allowed are super limited (hence Production).

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Rich
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 2:21:38 PM EDT
[#2]
www.uspsa.org/ Less rules = more fun, speed shooting game. 3 gun fun at times

www.idpa.com/ More of a CCW game, less movement, more rules, still alot of fun.

Find a club in your area, look over the rules and the range commands.

Call the club or e-mail, tell them your new and would like to help set up the next match. You would be well taken care at most clubs Ive shot at.

Bring one 9mm pistol along with at least 3 mags 5 would be better but three should work. Make sure you have a belt,holster,mags holders, pistol and ammo.

Damn fun to run and gun
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 8:43:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 9:36:22 PM EDT
[#4]
our IDPA matches are pretty open to anyone:

bring: working, safe gun; holster that secures trigger guard and stays on the belt; $10; 100rnds of ammo; at least 1 spare mag (more is best)

i'd start off w/ stock service pistol

this might provide some tips: www.glockfaq.com/idpa.htm
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 3:53:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Have you decided which sport you want to try? Where in Texas are you located?

I'm in Pearland, twenty minutes S of Houston.

I'm most proficient (if I can use that term) with my Beretta 92. I have ten factory hi-caps.

Next up would be the GP100 in .357 and finally the Super Blackhawk in .44 mag
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:02:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:47:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Houston is a great place for IDPA. You can shoot a match every weekend and even during the week.

A Beretta 92 would put you in SSP division. The GP100 would put you in  SSR division.
To find a local club go to the Texas club page and find the one that's the most convenient for you and your schedule.

idpa.com/clublist.asp?state=TX

Tell 'em Iron Mike Webb sent you. I am the Area Coordinator for Texas, New Mexico and Louisiana.

Hey, thanks for the link. The PSC club is just around the corner from me and they have a 1st Saturday shoot coming up!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top