Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2018 12:46:55 PM EDT
I will be taking a 4 day fighting rifle class, besides what the instructor recommends to bring, any stuff y’all think should come with me I’m already bringing spare batteries, BCG, LPK, and charging handle. I will also bring a sore pistol and rifle.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 2:19:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Bring a ton of loaded mags. That way you have time to do other things besides jam mags during 15 minute breaks.

Also, bring an easy spray bottle of lube. I open up my AR after every 3-400 rounds and spray the shit out of my BCG. No wipe down, just spray.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 2:24:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Bring whatever gear you're most comfortable with. Don't use a Serpa holster. Bring more ammo than the minimum (nobody ever said "I wish I brought less ammo to this class!")

Bring more magazines than you need. That way if you have to skip a reloading break because you have to fix gear, talk to the instructor, take a leak, or whatever, you're ready to go. If you have a mag lula, bring it.

Bring sun screen, CLP, water, and a gatorade. Light snacks like peanuts or trail mix.

I like to bring a little notepad to write down new drills so I can practice later.

Make sure your guns are lubed and sighted in before you get there.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 2:34:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bring whatever gear you're most comfortable with. Don't use a Serpa holster. Bring more ammo than the minimum (nobody ever said "I wish I brought less ammo to this class!")

Bring more magazines than you need. That way if you have to skip a reloading break because you have to fix gear, talk to the instructor, take a leak, or whatever, you're ready to go. If you have a mag lula, bring it.

Bring sun screen, CLP, water, and a gatorade. Light snacks like peanuts or trail mix.

I like to bring a little notepad to write down new drills so I can practice later.

Make sure your guns are lubed and sighted in before you get there.
View Quote
Way ahead of you with the serpa comment, I use safariland ALS, I will definitely bring a ton of mags
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 5:11:55 PM EDT
[#4]
You should post a picture of your setup (gear and guns).
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 5:43:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 5:57:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You should post a picture of your setup (gear and guns).
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

This is the rifle and chest rig I’ll be using, rifle is a home built that I made and the chest rig is a BFG 10 speed m4 with a BFG trauma now med kit. My pistol will be a XD-9 with a ALS holster on my wilderness tactical CSM belt. My pistol mag carrier is a 2 pistol mag pouch from bravo concealment OWB.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 6:02:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Camelbak or similar item.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 6:34:02 PM EDT
[#8]
no expert, but a 4 day class, peeps on this site have said "backup rifle"
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 6:35:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/417747/5076D7C1-8030-4CD3-9A9E-5BDD415B6311-554277.JPG

This is the rifle and chest rig I’ll be using, rifle is a home built that I made and the chest rig is a BFG 10 speed m4 with a BFG trauma now med kit. My pistol will be a XD-9 with a ALS holster on my wilderness tactical CSM belt. My pistol mag carrier is a 2 pistol mag pouch from bravo concealment OWB.
View Quote
Looks good. The only thing I would do but not necessary is get a roll of lime green or any bright color tape. Put a strip around the bottom of the mag so someone doesn’t accidentally pick up ones of yours.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 6:39:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Any class I go to I bring 2 AR’s and 2 Pistols. Spending the money on a class, ammo and getting there I would hate to not be able to finish or borrow someone else’s gear.

Edit.

A water source for sure. If you don’t own a camelback a bottled water in a mag pouch works.
I always put a snack in my cargo pocket. Energy bar, trail mix, cliff bar or something like that.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 7:10:35 PM EDT
[#11]
spare rifle, and handgun.  spare parts are nice but replacement weapons are quick and easy.

gloves, sweaty hands and running and gunning suck...
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 7:48:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Sunscreen, plenty of dry socks, advil or your pain reliever of choice, bandaids (large and small)
If knee pads weren't on the list, you should probably add them.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 9:09:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Sunscreen, plenty of dry socks, advil or your pain reliever of choice, bandaids (large and small)
If knee pads weren't on the list, you should probably add them.
View Quote
Arcteryx kneecaps are amazing.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 9:35:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Arcteryx kneecaps are amazing.
View Quote
I got some old Blackhawk knee pads, that I will be bringing I learned the hard way from my first pistol course. Knee pads are life
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 9:45:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Pressure switch for light or different light. Those are great lights but great chance of you clicking it on and hard to manipulate and shoot. I assume that is a tailclick surefire?
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 9:48:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Pressure switch for light or different light. Those are great lights but great chance of you clicking it on and hard to manipulate and shoot. I assume that is a tailclick surefire?
View Quote
Ya it’s a tail click surefire m600, I’ll look into a pressure pad
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 9:56:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you go the tape switch route. Pay the little extra for the constant on and momentary version.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 10:09:22 PM EDT
[#18]
1.  Zero your rifle(s) with the ammo you will take and do it prior to the class.  This includes your BUIS.  2 of everything that shoots and no new gear.  Reliable is better than accurate.

2.  Function check your mags...as in load and shoot them.  You should not take NIB mags.

3.  Lube...and start with a clean rifle with fresh batteries in everything.

4.  Dress for the weather...sun is all bad, boonie hat.  Cold weather gear if cold, rain gear, etc.

5.  Minimal gear is best gear...you don't need heavy armor or helmets if you are not issued them.

6.  Eye pro...bring extra and get very good ones as Home Depot grade will distort your optics.

7.  Powered ear pro...bring 2.

8.  Buy good ammo and mags.

9.  Belt kit is best kit.  Chest rigs are ok...but get stupid quick.  Ronin belt with a few pouches and a dumper will do 99% of what needs to be done.  You only need 3 spare mags on you for a class...leave the rest on the bench.

10.  Drop leg anything will suck.  Don't do it.

11.  Sunscreen...hydrate...eat.  You will suffer if you fail at any of those.  Bring food you can eat on the move...power bars.  Camelback is good.

12.  Less is more.  Be portable, self contained, and keep your gear neat and tidy.  A backpack should be plenty.  If you are dragging a pelican case around, you are wrong.

13.  Gloves...good ones.  Confortable strong shoes that fit you.

14.  Bandaids and med tape.

15.  Coffe is bad.

16.  Take notes...
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 10:12:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If you go the tape switch route. Pay the little extra for the constant on and momentary version.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/163367/BF012B65-D96E-4171-B968-D1C5036C51D5-554590.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/163367/BF012B65-D96E-4171-B968-D1C5036C51D5-554590.JPG
Indeed. This is the one I have. Mounts to top pic rail  without tape crap. Learned my lesson with the click cap e2d  led...sold it and now do x300 with that switch. Arms Unlimited has x300 lights for $200. And that light can be used on handguns as well.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 10:14:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Also wet wipes. Extra sunglasses and clear eyes if night shooting as well. Lens wipes (lube blowback on optics and eye pro).
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 11:07:59 PM EDT
[#21]
I prefer foamie ear plugs under an electronic earpro set turned way up. That way I can hear the instructors easily and my tinnitus appreciates the double later of protection after a few tens of thousands of rounds. Plus I can take the cans off for comfort during breaks or when the instructors are running one person at a time and still have protection.

This is all personal preference, but I like to keep my pistol, mags and IFAK on my belt and rifle mags on PC/chest rig. The general idea being if you have to ditch your rifle and rig (because it's empty, you need maximum running speed, become entangled, etc), you still have your pistol and leak stop.

Oh yeah, don't drink at night. Or at least not more than an beer with dinner. You do not want to be hungover and your classmates will appreciate you not being drunk in the morning.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 11:37:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Buttstock with a padded buttplate. I shot a 3 day class in a t-shirt with a hard plastic milspec stock and got a big nasty bloodshot bruise I never expected from 5.56.

Bring a magazine loading device.

Wear a very comfortable belt/OWB pistol rig. Running, rolling on the ground, etc. for 3 or more days wearing an IWB pistol rig sucks donkey farts.

Basically make sure you are comfortable, hydrated, and your gear is sorted so you can focus on instruction. The instructor will appreciate this and reward you with good personal instruction.
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 12:19:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.

Back when I was taking time off classes I always brought a backup.

It's nice to have the parts to fix your rifle, is better to just have another rifle to use till you get to a break.
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 10:15:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Shemaghs look really stupid... but when you're standing outside in the exposed sun for hours at a time at a range, they suddenly aren't so stupid.

If you can't get over the fashion statement aspect of it, a very wide brim hat to keep some of the sun off of you is very very helpful for comfort, and more comfort means more ability to focus on learning and shooting.
If you're an outdoors person or spend time hiking, you already know the drill: comfy broken in boots, thin wool socks, lots of hydration...

I like to bring a simple range bag to haul loaded mags to the line, and stow used mags after drills.  Depends on the style of instruction.  You will learn very quickly what works and what doesn't on your rifle too... there's a reason all of mine are built to be sleek, light, and functional first.
View Quote
A shemagh also eliminates or at least reduces the risk of hot brass landing on the back of your neck...
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 10:21:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Cleaning rods.  In the unlikely event you have a round that doesn't "feel" right, rodding is better than looking down a bore.  Plus, you can run a wet patch through at the end of the day while the barrel is still warm, making cleanup easier.
Something to sit on during breaks.
Shooting mat if you'll be doing any prone work.
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 10:38:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Mag loader (even if you normally load by hand)
Extra Gloves
Extra Socks
A Towel
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 7:13:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Wide brimmed hat not only for the sun, but also so hot brass doesn't go down your shirt.  Or a bandana or piece of cloth to wrap around your neck.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 7:58:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Wide brimmed hat not only for the sun, but also so hot brass doesn't go down your shirt.  Or a bandana or piece of cloth to wrap around your neck.
View Quote
This is true... a simple boonie hat that looks non tactical and worn in, goes a long way to keeping the sun off you.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 9:59:08 PM EDT
[#29]
I used a Surefire clicky tail cap. Worked great.

Bipod and rear bag if you're doing any distance work.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 10:13:26 PM EDT
[#30]
So @cccollin545 how was the class?
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 11:01:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
It’s not till mid June, I was asking in advance Incase I had to order anything. I will post the AAR in the correct section of the training form, expect them towards the end of June. The courses are Fighting rifle and advance fighting rifle at Tactical Response, I go there often and have had amazing experiences there.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 2:21:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It’s not till mid June, I was asking in advance Incase I had to order anything. I will post the AAR in the correct section of the training form, expect them towards the end of June. The courses are Fighting rifle and advance fighting rifle at Tactical Response, I go there often and have had amazing experiences there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have they shot your vehicle yet?
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 5:51:23 AM EDT
[#33]
Lip balm
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 6:02:31 AM EDT
[#34]
list of skills you would like to learn, you can ask instructor at a break.

Just hope your instructor doesn't waste half the time going "I'm so awesome,/..... I'm so awesome i was a ______________ " for 4 hours, while NOT teaching, coaching, or hell even letting us practice.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 9:10:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Lip balm
View Quote
A must!  I found that a setup in a tube works better that the typical stick configuration.

Link Posted: 6/4/2018 10:06:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
list of skills you would like to learn, you can ask instructor at a break.

Just hope your instructor doesn't waste half the time going "I'm so awesome,/..... I'm so awesome i was a ______________ " for 4 hours, while NOT teaching, coaching, or hell even letting us practice.
View Quote
What instructor did that? I have never been close to seeing any instructor do that.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 11:28:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

This.

Back when I was taking time off classes I always brought a backup.

It's nice to have the parts to fix your rifle, is better to just have another rifle to use till you get to a break.
View Quote
This....I was on day 2 of a carbine class when I had a gas block issue on my primary gun. Not an easy in the field fix....switch guns and back up and running in a few minutes.

I always bring a spare rifle and pistol.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 12:20:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Moisture wicking undershirt, underwear, socks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top