Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2020 8:29:31 AM EDT
I just got started this weekend. Put 250 rounds on it so far with 0 issues. I plan to get more tires from my local mechanic, and build it up 3 sided. I also plan to add at least 1 steel target per year. Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 8:33:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Um pretty sure that’s not high enough especially with the high targets. Also tires aren’t bulletproof
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 8:36:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: vatopa] [#2]
Need to fill tires with sand or dirt.

Needs to be several tires taller...

Whats behind that?  For a mile or so?

Why is it in the middle of the field?
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 8:47:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By vatopa:
Need to fill tires with sand or dirt.

Needs to be several tires taller...

Whats behind that?  For a mile or so?

Why is it in the middle of the field?
View Quote

I had a D6 Dozer clear this area in 2005 and had them push the brush and dirt into a 15 foot high pile to form a 200 yard range and backstop. This is about 100 yards in front of that brush/ dirt pile. I own 116 acres and this is in a valley where the land around me is over my head. Filling tires with sand and dirt is on the agenda but I'm working on it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 9:34:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't call that a range, and it certainly doesn't look adequate to stop rounds from going downrange.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 10:18:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Here's a shot from a good distance during the build up. Still on my farm. Still part of my 200 yard home range. This is the handgun portion, not the rifle portion. I have a BERM 100 yards behind this that was built with a D6 dozer over 2 days. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 10:46:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Sweet! A pile of tires with some targets in front of them.

Man Sunday threads never disappoint!
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 4:39:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Congrats OP obviously a work in progress hope you get lots of use out of it. Never mind the haters most are likely apartment dwellers at any rate.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 5:05:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By oldcatawba:
Congrats OP obviously a work in progress hope you get lots of use out of it. Never mind the haters most are likely apartment dwellers at any rate.
View Quote

This.  I would kill for that amount of land.  You said all high ground around yo with no neighbors.  Some wouldnt even put a backstop in
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 6:07:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I would move the pistol range down to the 200 yard berm.  It's easier to move your shooting line than to move your berm.  At 100 yards away that 15' high berm isn't doing much, if anything, to stop high shots.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 6:13:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Tires can bounce bullets and will get chewed up pretty fast.  They are fine for helping maintain the structure of a backstop but ... you need a buncha dirt on them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top