Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/18/2020 2:59:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BUIS]
I was shooting my pistol yesterday and really focusing on my grip. I've studied the thumbs forward hold and pretty well know what I'm doing there. But my support hand just wasn't staying put.

I have large hands, but they're thick, not skinny and long. The small backstrap on my M&P feels the most secure in my firing hand but my fingers reach far enough that there really isn't much of the grip showing for the heel of my support hand to contact. I end up with the heel of my support hand gripping against the tips of my firing hand fingers and not the grip itself. After only 1-2 shots I can feel my support hand isn't doing much to control recoil and I have to shift it back in relation to my firing hand. It's little better than teacupping for longer strings.

So today I tried swapping out for the large backstrap. It doesn't feel as good or secure in my firing hand but there's more room to get the heel of my support hand on the grip itself. So my support hand feels marginally more stable but I haven't got out to shoot like that yet and see.

Does anyone have any thoughts on my situation?
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 6:00:03 AM EDT
[#1]
I have learned something that may be helpful for you.... It s not so important that your palm be able to fit into the pocket that people (like myself with smaller hands) are able to fit into between the fingers and palm of your strong hand on the grip... The functionality of this type of grip that you are employing relies on two elements for controlling recoil. When your pistol recoils there are two spots on the gun where the energy is located. One of them is at the top of the arch of the beavertail and the other is low front on the grip. Get the webbing of your support hand as high up on the beavertail as possible and grip it like you mean it. The job of your support hand is to control the recoil pivot point at the front of the grip, and this is done primarily by your middle finger and ring finger, because those fingers are are able to generate much more force than your pinky. Do you would place your support hand on the firearm with your index finger just under the trigger guard allowing you to exert force with our with your middle and ring finger (keep the tension up with your index finger also mind you), again you are going grip it and get a good pull like you really mean it.... The only job your thumbs have is to stay out of the way :)

As far as your new backstrap is concerned give it a shot you may like or may not, play around with both for a bit and I suspect you will quickly decide which one you like the best..
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 4:47:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BUIS] [#2]
That's a good thought. I'll try focusing more support hand on controlling the bottom/front of the grip and see if that helps it seem like it's doing its part more.

I just kept feeling like I wanted one of those competition style "gas pedal" thumb rests to keep the gun from torquing up out of my support hand grip. But that's not really practical for an edc.
Link Posted: 6/18/2020 10:42:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I’ve got big hands and find even large back straps to be lacking.
VP9 Large all around

PPQ with large backstrap

P320 large grip module

I ended up putting Talons on the P320 and then Hogues over that:

It seems I’m always going against the grain on grips. I like the bulk where everyone else is racing to be as small as possible. Hell, I much prefer quad rails on carbines because of the bulk. But it doesn’t play so awesome if you’re trying to get as narrow as possible for carry. But I don’t worry about that.
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 12:08:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Does the enlarged grip help with support hand effectiveness? The small grip feels best and my firing hand is locked down solid. Just my support hand skin on skin contact isn't providing the traction I want.
Link Posted: 6/19/2020 1:51:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I dunno if it’s as much the support hand purchase on the grip as opposed to my main hand’s fingers as it is the ability to dig my main hand fingers into the palm of my support hand’s palm. Probably 50/50. Does that make sense?
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 1:33:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, I'm thinking if I can get my firing hand finger tips dug into the palm of my support hand, that's probably about as good as it's going to get.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 9:28:29 AM EDT
[#7]
What helped me was to quit stacking my fingers. If I get my support hand higher on the grip I get better control even if it FEELS less secure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top