Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2019 4:47:11 PM EDT
How do you grip your pistol in relation to slide travel vs hand/wrist angle in a two handed grip?

By this I mean, viewed from above, griping the pistol in a firing stance, if you add more trigger finger over the trigger, your hand becomes more naturally inline with your forearm and should be stronger and therefore more able to control recoil correct ? But this removes some meat from behind the pistol, so rotating your hand back to put more meat on the back strap rotates the wrist more, increasing the wrist:forearm angle while in a two handed grip.

From searching this topic to see if I am being the most efficient, I have not seen a lot of discussion, it seems wrist locking, bent elbows get the most discussion.  Is it as simple as griping the pistol so the barrel axis is inline with your forearm when held directly out in front, then forming the rest of the grip and stance?

Lately I have been using more of what I feel is Figure 3 below(I know it is a revolver) to keep more meat behind the gun and it feels "forced".  How do you find your perfect dominant hand grip or how would you explain to a someone how to find the best dominant hand pistol grip position for two handed shooting?

Link Posted: 1/8/2019 8:28:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Butt in the web of the hand as high up on the pistol as you can get.

Then grip the hell out of it with both hands.

Elbows bent, elbows almost locked, whatever.  Find what is comfortable for you.

People overthink this shit.

If you look at the shooting styles of top shooters their techniques will vary quite of bit.

The one commonality seems to be isosceles.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 5:57:06 PM EDT
[#2]
One of the stupid charts just like this had my pistol shooting fucked up for the longest time.  I finally discovered that it made no sense to manipulate your grip and wrist angles to accomplish the very arbitrary goal of having the forearm and bore in alignment.

It's nonsense.  Ignore it.

The way to establish a proper grip is to address the strong hand first.  Get as high on the gun as possible.  If you have a beavertail, the web of your hand should be forcefully squashed into it.  Figure out where you want your trigger finger to fall upon the trigger and rotate your hand around the circumference of the gun as necessary to make your trigger finger be in the right position to manipulate the trigger.  Verify you can access and manipulate all the controls from that position, i.e. slide release, mag release.  Let me reiterate, it doesn't matter what the angle between forearm and bore is.

Now flag your strong thumb up.  See all that empty space on the side of the frame and grip?  You want to fill that area with your weak hand.  Experiment, almost like your hand is a puzzle piece and you're looking for the best position in which to fit it.  The general rule of thumb (pun) is that you want to be as high as possible again with weak hand and you don't want to interfere with the controls.  I find that I get best results by slightly canting my wrist and putting the meaty part of the thumb (drumstick) up against my strong hand.  You want your hands to mate together strongly at the rear of the grip without fighting each other for position.  Now wrap your weak fingers around the fingers on the frontstrap.  You apply force, or pressure against the frame and grip in 360 degrees.  Note that I was specific with that language.  I do not want to "squeeze" the grip, I want to apply "pressure" and cause friction between the grip and my hands that cause my grip to not shift under recoil.  You will likewise want to experiment with grip pressure but the rule of thumb is that the weak hand applies more force than the strong hand, because the strong hand also has the job of pressing the trigger, which requires dexterity.

If you notice, the common theme in all this is to EXPERIMENT.  No one's hands are shaped exactly alike of have the same grip strength or body geometry.  You will have to make your own grip that works for you.  But the fundamental principles apply- grip high, grip hard, grip in a way that causes you to be able to access controls and not cause malfunctions.

The elbow thing is really a comfort thing for me.  I like a slight bend.

Good luck, and be free from the tyranny of the charts.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 3:11:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Butt in the web of the hand as high up on the pistol as you can get.

Then grip the hell out of it with both hands.

Elbows bent, elbows almost locked, whatever.  Find what is comfortable for you.

People overthink this shit.

If you look at the shooting styles of top shooters their techniques will vary quite of bit.

The one commonality seems to be isosceles.
View Quote
Quoted:
One of the stupid charts just like this had my pistol shooting fucked up for the longest time.  I finally discovered that it made no sense to manipulate your grip and wrist angles to accomplish the very arbitrary goal of having the forearm and bore in alignment.

It's nonsense.  Ignore it.

The way to establish a proper grip is to address the strong hand first.  Get as high on the gun as possible.  If you have a beavertail, the web of your hand should be forcefully squashed into it.  Figure out where you want your trigger finger to fall upon the trigger and rotate your hand around the circumference of the gun as necessary to make your trigger finger be in the right position to manipulate the trigger.  Verify you can access and manipulate all the controls from that position, i.e. slide release, mag release.  Let me reiterate, it doesn't matter what the angle between forearm and bore is.

Now flag your strong thumb up.  See all that empty space on the side of the frame and grip?  You want to fill that area with your weak hand.  Experiment, almost like your hand is a puzzle piece and you're looking for the best position in which to fit it.  The general rule of thumb (pun) is that you want to be as high as possible again with weak hand and you don't want to interfere with the controls.  I find that I get best results by slightly canting my wrist and putting the meaty part of the thumb (drumstick) up against my strong hand.  You want your hands to mate together strongly at the rear of the grip without fighting each other for position.  Now wrap your weak fingers around the fingers on the frontstrap.  You apply force, or pressure against the frame and grip in 360 degrees.  Note that I was specific with that language.  I do not want to "squeeze" the grip, I want to apply "pressure" and cause friction between the grip and my hands that cause my grip to not shift under recoil.  You will likewise want to experiment with grip pressure but the rule of thumb is that the weak hand applies more force than the strong hand, because the strong hand also has the job of pressing the trigger, which requires dexterity.

If you notice, the common theme in all this is to EXPERIMENT.  No one's hands are shaped exactly alike of have the same grip strength or body geometry.  You will have to make your own grip that works for you.  But the fundamental principles apply- grip high, grip hard, grip in a way that causes you to be able to access controls and not cause malfunctions.

The elbow thing is really a comfort thing for me.  I like a slight bend.

Good luck, and be free from the tyranny of the charts.
View Quote
Thank you for the replies!  I have been experimenting off and on with my grip for years.  I should have mentioned I am a Medium sized glove, so definitely average to smaller hands.  When I rotate more toward the trigger, I loose a lot of access to the mag release, but seems like better trigger control, when I rotate more toward the controls, accuracy seems to suffer.  One piece of advice was to relax as much as possible and move the pistol to get a rifle like natural point of aim and when it's found shoot it that way regardless of position, very much like wtturn said.  Like finding the NPOA with a rifle, doing the same with a pistol is supposed to keep the body from "muscling" the pistol to a minimum for accuracy.

Also, kind of on the same topic, I have been reading about the more "athletic" stance being advocated and this stance seems to bring my primary hand into a more neutral position as I bring my left leg forward compared to a textbook isosceles stance.  I have also been playing with a more front to back grip with my primary hand compared to the "beer can" grip.  I know Vogel and some other shooters say this is the way to go.  When using a front to back grip, I can actually see my hand close in tighter to the grip then when I squeeze the grip like a hammer.  I will have to try a few of these combos to see what is best as it seems those charts are not a one size fits all.  If anyone gives a shit I can try to update this to what I find, maybe it might help someone.  Thank you everyone.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 8:28:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I say shake it out (relax arm/hand). Put gun in hand so bore aligns with forearm when relaxed.

When shooting with 2 hands it wont align with the forearm anymore because your wrist has to bend, no big deal.

Squeeze grip with strong hand until hand shakes. Ease off until no more shaking. Add weak hand, repeat. That's how hard you grip it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top