Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2018 7:32:55 PM EDT
I Shoot Production with a gen 4 Glock 17.  I enjoy it, but want to get something else to shoot once in a while too.

I was thinking Limited and go with a Glock 35, but carry optics with the same gun and caliber sounds pretty good too.

Pro’s and Con’s?

(It’s probably more of a, what should I get first thing)
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 10:22:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I hated Limited and moderately enjoyed CO.

I think ammo commonality makes an easy win for CO, at least it did for me.

I tried them both and now have no plan to shoot anything other than production for the rest of time.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 9:09:30 AM EDT
[#2]
With those choices CO for sure. Maybe get one +6 basepads/springs* (Since you are allowed 140mm) and a milled upper for an optic. Done. Same ammo, holster, mags, etc. Hell with the new changes even the work you can do on the gun for Prod/CO is the same (undercut etc).

If going Limited you can keep same holster/mags too. Its the change to .40 that means you now have to stock another caliber. You may also want to consider gaming a G35 for Limited which is potentially additional costs. if you go down that route.

* Most stages are at most 35 rounds (barring misses) and some are less than that. Getting a single +6 extension means you can start with 24 (23+1 from barney). Keep your normal production mags for the follow on ones since if you stuff them 17 more rounds should be enough.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 10:35:31 AM EDT
[#3]
If you're just doing it for a new experience, get a 35 and shoot limited. Why not. If you hate it, you can load .40 minor (if you reload) and shoot production with it.

I tried a RDS-equipped pistol and just COULD NOT put the time/training in to it and keep switching back and forth to irons. Stuck to irons.

That said, if you want an entirely new experience, keep your 17 and shoot PCC with a 9mm AR setup. You might just fall in love with it like I did.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 1:07:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CTjer] [#4]
Go with an MOS or get a slide milled for a dot?

Thinking of going with the Delta Point Pro 2.5.

Also, would a MOS or milled slide be legal in Production as a backup gun?

I’d like to build a PCC, but it’s a little more challenging living in the state I do.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 1:20:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CTjer:
Go with an MOS or get a slide milled for a dot?

Thinking of going with the Delta Point Pro 2.5.

Also, would a MOS or milled slide be legal in Production as a backup gun?

I’d like to build a PCC, but it’s a little more challenging living in the state I do.
View Quote
MOS/Milled - You could use a Glock MS as a backup for production since optic can be removed and plate attached. Milled it is more difficult since you will need a plate to attach once optic is removed. There are those who swear by milled being better but honestly people using MOS and other systems do just as well. It is always more the shooter than the pistol.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 10:52:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I shoot Production with a 17 and CO with a milled 17, I have shot limited as well.

I really enjoy CO, the better guys locally are right on the heels of, and sometimes beat M and GM Open shooters in the Overall which of course doesn't matter, but it gives you an idea the level of talent at the top. There isn't nearly the participation of Limited, the only sort of annoying thing for me is a whole lot of gear questions from people. I also find the dot made dry fire a whole lot more honest and the aggressive manner of running stages carried over pretty well to production.

MOS is definitely production legal will the cover plate, milled I think is with a cover plate, not sure about without.

I use a 6moa Viper, but the DPP 2.5 is easily the most popular, I haven't looked through one, everyone says it blooms larger cranked up, I know I wouldn't want anything smaller than 6moa.

Limited, there's a whole lot of competition, 40 is kinda a p.i.t.a. for me to reload, Major is sort of interesting, I dunno, it just doesn't appeal to me nearly as much.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 6:51:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I did the same thing you are doing.  Started in Production with a G17, got a G35 for Limited and picked up a custom 2011 for this season.

It's the natural progression if you like Limited.

Why don't you load your mags up and shoot Limited with the G17 to see if you like it?
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 8:18:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Superluckycat:
I did the same thing you are doing.  Started in Production with a G17, got a G35 for Limited and picked up a custom 2011 for this season.

Why don't you load your mags up and shoot Limited with the G17 to see if you like it?
View Quote
Could be an option.  I think Major would be the real benefit to shooting Limited for me.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 10:15:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Could be an option.  I think Major would be the real benefit to shooting Limited for me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

There's a reason I bought a 2011.  The recoil sucks with a G35.  It will slow you down.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 4:20:53 PM EDT
[#10]
There's a reason I bought a 2011.  The recoil sucks with a G35.  It will slow you down.
View All Quotes

So you’re saying I should hold out for an Atlas Titan?   Copy that.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 5:23:02 PM EDT
[#11]
View All Quotes

Definitely or an SVI.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 12:19:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Shoot Limited for a few matches with your 17 or something borrowed first.

I am/was a production guy, had a P16-40 sitting in the safe and decided I wanted in on the arms race. Polishing work, mags, baseplates, funnels, followers, the whole works.... until I discovered I REALLY missed the strategy and planning reloads in production demanded. Most local matches I was hitting one reload if at all and basically just hosing.

My Limited rig just sits and it's either production or PCC for me.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 8:21:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By SamW:
Shoot Limited for a few matches with your 17 or something borrowed first.

I am/was a production guy, had a P16-40 sitting in the safe and decided I wanted in on the arms race. Polishing work, mags, baseplates, funnels, followers, the whole works.... until I discovered I REALLY missed the strategy and planning reloads in production demanded. Most local matches I was hitting one reload if at all and basically just hosing.

My Limited rig just sits and it's either production or PCC for me.
View Quote
I very much enjoy Production and will keep shooting it.  I was just pondering another division to play in here and there.

I suppose I could also add the possibility of a CZ Shadow 2/Tanfo Stock 2 for Production.
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 9:11:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I've been drooling over the Shadow 2's.  I don't need one but I want one.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 11:14:26 AM EDT
[#15]
So I picked up a CZ Custom Shadow 2 last year. Fits the hand great, low recoil (due to the heavy ass weight of it), etc. It is well made and a joy to shoot.

I plan on selling it once some other pistols sell. I am not selling because it is a bad pistol but more because I got into USPSA etc in order to improve my skills with what I carry. I forgot that fact and instead got caught up in being competitive. Therefore I felt like I needed the 'best' Production pistol to do so. Took awhile to realize the shooter is what is most important and a good shooter can use damn near anything and beat my ass. So I am going back to my original mentality. Which coincidentally helps me go back to just having loads of fun while improving my fundamental skills.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 7:03:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By casarez:
So I picked up a CZ Custom Shadow 2 last year. Fits the hand great, low recoil (due to the heavy ass weight of it), etc. It is well made and a joy to shoot.

I plan on selling it once some other pistols sell. I am not selling because it is a bad pistol but more because I got into USPSA etc in order to improve my skills with what I carry. I forgot that fact and instead got caught up in being competitive. Therefore I felt like I needed the 'best' Production pistol to do so. Took awhile to realize the shooter is what is most important and a good shooter can use damn near anything and beat my ass. So I am going back to my original mentality. Which coincidentally helps me go back to just having loads of fun while improving my fundamental skills.
View Quote
I can certainly appreciate that.

My gun handling and comfort level has improved immensely over the last year because of USPSA.

While it might not translate 100% with my EDC, it’s definitely beneficial.

Plus I’m a competitive SOB, so it’s fun to play.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top