Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2010 2:59:20 PM EDT
I am familiar with the serpa as it is my issue carry rig for my issue beretta.  Switch-ology would be the same if I got one for my 1911.  Am leaning toward the serpa with the paddle but I am also attracted to a holster that is entirely inside the waist band or belt.  I want to make sure I can also use it for IDPA.

Any suggestions?  thanks guys.
Link Posted: 11/3/2010 8:14:09 PM EDT
[#1]
IMO I would stay away from the sepra for us in IDPA because that is just one extra step you have to do to get the gun out and 10ths of a second count but thats just me. I would get a BladeTech holster for IDPA. LINK
Link Posted: 11/3/2010 9:32:07 PM EDT
[#2]
What works for IDPA is not really what is going to be the best solution to conceal carry or IWB. They are all about speed at IDPA.

Link Posted: 11/3/2010 10:56:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Only reason I have a serpa is because I have a rail on my 1911 (regret buying one with a rail now) and the serpa is the only in store holster type they carry that works for 1911s w/ rails.

I shoot IPSC but the rules for holster are pretty much the same between IDPA and single stack IPSC.

Although I have become pretty good with it, it will still cost me time when I screw up... it would be a nice holster for 3 gun where you are running around with a holstered pistol.. but like stated a bladetech or comptec... but to be honest A LOT of guys buy the simple $15 uncle mike's kydex holster... and a lot of good shooters use this holster so don't consider it a newb only thing... but the uncle mikes will not work with a rail.

I do intend to change to a new holster, probably a bladetech since they make them for railed 1911s.

MIke.
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 4:38:39 AM EDT
[#4]
If I shave a few milliseconds iwth bladetech, and I STILL won't be the IDPA champ - so why not go for good retention with a serpa?  (just arguing with myself here guys )
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 4:49:40 AM EDT
[#5]
guys with bladetech, what is the retention mechanism?  or does it just come straight out?
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 4:50:47 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a sidearmor that I used for an IDPA that worked great. Look em up, nice stuff and no serpa button, just a quick secure draw.
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 4:11:19 PM EDT
[#7]
part of my need is to have a holster I can use in combat matches in the army.
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 6:26:22 PM EDT
[#8]
i much prefer the locking (or unlocking, specifically) mechanism of the safariland level 2s to the serpa
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 8:40:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
guys with bladetech, what is the retention mechanism?  or does it just come straight out?

There are 2 philip screws on the holster that can be adjusted to how secure you want the holster to clamp on the trigger guard of the gun. If you screw them real tight you can hold it upside down and shake it and the gun will not fall out or you can loosen the screws so that the gun will come out real easy. I think it would be ideal for you in IDPA and Army use IMO but i wouldn't us it for a CCW holster.

Link Posted: 11/4/2010 8:43:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Only reason I have a serpa is because I have a rail on my 1911 (regret buying one with a rail now) and the serpa is the only in store holster type they carry that works for 1911s w/ rails.

I shoot IPSC but the rules for holster are pretty much the same between IDPA and single stack IPSC.

Although I have become pretty good with it, it will still cost me time when I screw up... it would be a nice holster for 3 gun where you are running around with a holstered pistol.. but like stated a bladetech or comptec... but to be honest A LOT of guys buy the simple $15 uncle mike's kydex holster... and a lot of good shooters use this holster so don't consider it a newb only thing... but the uncle mikes will not work with a rail.

I do intend to change to a new holster, probably a bladetech since they make them for railed 1911s.

MIke.

BladeTech can make you a custom holster that will fit a railed 1911.When I owned a XDM 40 with a TLR2 I had them make me a holster. It will take 2-3 weeks but it was well worth it. You don't have to send your gun in either.

Link Posted: 11/4/2010 8:47:44 PM EDT
[#11]
IWB, I like Milt Sparks VMII. Mine works for CCW and IDPA. IPSC not so much...
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 8:54:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I use a BladeTech DOH for Action and 3-Gun matches.
Link Posted: 11/6/2010 7:53:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Bladetech as I can get sub 1 second draws all day with them.

However...if you're looking for retention, the Safariland is tough to beat.

Rich
Link Posted: 11/7/2010 6:52:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Fiveshot leather IBS.
Link Posted: 11/7/2010 6:11:07 PM EDT
[#15]
CompTac Paddle
Link Posted: 11/8/2010 2:52:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Bladetech DOH Ice is what I use. running never had a gun pop out, but friction is the only retention.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 1:24:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Just for grins and giggles...I got tired of the locking lug sticking on my Serpa. So I just took the darned thing off. It is only held on with a roll pin that is easily removed. I just tightened up the retention screw on the holster to get what I liked as far as retention is concerned.
Would this modified Serpa be legit to shoot IDPA with?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 11:10:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Just for grins and giggles...I got tired of the locking lug sticking on my Serpa. So I just took the darned thing off. It is only held on with a roll pin that is easily removed. I just tightened up the retention screw on the holster to get what I liked as far as retention is concerned.
Would this modified Serpa be legit to shoot IDPA with?

no, IIRC all retention systems must be functional. IE you got a thumb break holster you must have the widow maker secured.
http://www.idpa.com/Documents/IDPARuleBook2005.pdf
I no longer see IDPA stating that, unless you are using your LEO or Mil gear.
Might want to ask HQ.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top