Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2008 8:02:48 PM EDT
I've been out of the game for a while, but if I remember right you dont need to belong to the NRA to shoot high power and get a classification card, correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway I've been working with this Jr shooter, the match he fired this weekend would give him the 240 shots needed for a classification card, which this state requires to get JR support from the State Assn.

The match director just called and said he couldnt send in the Jrs name without a NRA number and he couldnt get a classification card.

Now if I remember right (when I ran the AK NG Marksmanship Unit) I had shooters who weren't NRA members yet got classification cards.

I know I'm getting old but I haven't forgot that much.

Yeah I know, he should join the NRA, I'm working on that.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:59:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I heard all that's in the process of changing.  The NRA changed the rules to let non members compete.  I don't know if the new rule took effect yet.  A lot of competitors don't like the new rule.  Anwyay, I don't know how they're going to work classifications without an NRA number.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 4:30:15 AM EDT
[#2]
The rules have changed very recently, effective Jul 1st,  The old rule was JR's had to either be members or members of an NRA club.  The trouble with JR's not being members is they or the Match Director would write their name differently on the results report, i.e. Johnny Johnson, John Johnson, Matthew J. Johnson using club ID # R3455are three different people to the NRA, when actually it was the same kid.  It made it hard for kids to get their 120 shots for a classification that way.  The individual membership number eliminated that.  Hopefully they have fixed this.  Also it is 120 shots for initial classification, 240 for upgrades.  The SR1 scorebook/temporary classification should be accepted as well for unclassified shooters.

Now I will rant.  I am not a fan of having non-member adults shoot in NRA competition.  Like it or not I think if you own a gun you should belong to the NRA, PERIOD.  

I have never and possibly will never forgive or even forget that the NRA abandoned their duties as the National Governing Body for International Shooting in the USA.  They flat dropped that responsibility with no notice or any transfer to another sanctioning body.  A group of volunteers started USA Shooting (since there already was USA Baseball, and USA Volleyball as NGB's) and performed those duties as volunteers for 2 years until they got it organized and funded.  This caused JR's to have to shoot in two major sanctioning bodies competitions that often overlapped and conflicted.  It makes me want to throw up when I see NRA Sports advertisements or even the logo.  That is Bullshit.  That is the NRA in the first place.  Wayne and his cronys never call it the NRA or The National Rifle Association, they call it NRA like it is a P.A.C.; and that is how they treat it.  One thing I will say about Dianne Feinstein is that she always at least calls the organization by it's proper name, The National Rifle Association.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 8:16:06 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Now I will rant.  I am not a fan of having non-member adults shoot in NRA competition.  Like it or not I think if you own a gun you should belong to the NRA, PERIOD.

I have never and possibly will never forgive or even forget that the NRA abandoned their duties as the National Governing Body for International Shooting in the USA.  They flat dropped that responsibility with no notice or any transfer to another sanctioning body.  A group of volunteers started USA Shooting (since there already was USA Baseball, and USA Volleyball as NGB's) and performed those duties as volunteers for 2 years until they got it organized and funded.  This caused JR's to have to shoot in two major sanctioning bodies competitions that often overlapped and conflicted.  It makes me want to throw up when I see NRA Sports advertisements or even the logo.  That is Bullshit.  That is the NRA in the first place.  Wayne and his cronys never call it the NRA or The National Rifle Association, they call it NRA like it is a P.A.C.; and that is how they treat it.  One thing I will say about Dianne Feinstein is that she always at least calls the organization by it's proper name, The National Rifle Association.

I agree with you 100% on the NRA membership requirement.  I have heard several stories on the NRA getting away from international shooting.

One story was the NRA was not elligible to be the governing body for international shooting because of their involvement in political affairs. The other story I heard from an international pistol shooter was that the US international shooters wanted to split from the NRA so they started USA Shooting.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:06:08 AM EDT
[#4]
This is not a rumour.  The NRA flat dropped it so that they could devote more time to the Assault Weapons Ban fight.  There was no National Governing Body for a short period.  USA Shooting did not exist in any way shape or form.  Well intentioned former NRA people started USA Shooting and for at least the first year were all 100% volunteers.  They started getting some sponsorship money during their 2d year of existance.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:19:59 AM EDT
[#5]
I totally agree with Airgun and MHS. All firearm owners should be members of the National Rifle Association.

Those that compete in any of the shooting sports should be members to hold a classification card. Otherwise, they should compete as "unclassified" and ineligible for awards etc. but it's not up to the match directors . The governing body of the association makes the rules.

Our high power and CMP matches at EMSC, based on my currant NRA report cards and mailing lists for our match program, all but 2 of the 58 are members of the "National Rifle Association" .

Dave McGrath
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:11:03 PM EDT
[#6]
The rule does allow non NRA to shoot now, and hopefully it will get more involved after trying it.
Ont he other hand, I agree everyone needs to join.
I wish my father started me when I was born.
I started my boy when he was born and am proud of it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top