Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2019 1:28:27 AM EDT
What is the most important [defensive/related] training you have received? A particular course, part of a course, a specific subject matter spanning several courses, etc. What is that training which you value most, and why?

For me, it was situational awareness (SA). Learning about SA laid the foundation for pretty much every other aspect of defensive training I've taken since. Standard military training laid the foundation, and then through several specialty courses--mil, LE, and private sector--honed it into something that is useable and quite beneficial in everyday life.

...so, what is that one course, subject, etc. that you would recommend above and before all else for someone else to take?
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 2:00:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Potty Training.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 9:38:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Basic rifle marksmanship in basic training.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 11:29:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I got jumped by some highschoolers when I was 12. Got smoked In the head with a bat, I have been 110% vigilant in my surroundings since.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 11:30:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/23/2019 6:55:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Basic rifle marksmanship in basic training.
View Quote
What was it about basic rifle marksmanship that stands out to you?

Quoted:
I got jumped by some highschoolers when I was 12. Got smoked In the head with a bat, I have been 110% vigilant in my surroundings since.
View Quote
Experience is the best teacher.

Quoted:
Force-on-Force.

Until one goes FoF, you don’t really know how you will react to a violent situation.
View Quote
True story! That training is severely underutilized, especially for non-military/LE. It reminds me of the BLM activist who shot an unarmed role-player he perceived as a threat. (I'll try to find the video, and update.)
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 10:57:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Experience is the best teacher.
View Quote
The problem with experience as a teacher is the test comes first and then the lesson.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 11:00:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Basic fundamentals.

Force on force with simrounds.
Link Posted: 12/8/2019 11:20:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm old so SOME of you will need some patience.

1) My time with my Dad and all my Uncles that were WW2 Vets. Absolutely the best upbringing I could ever imagine to enable me to live and raise a family in this world.

2)My time playing football has prepared me to NEVER quit. Quite important to a guy destined to be a Husband and a Father and a Business Owner.

3) Last Saturday. My Son shared his knowledge of long range shooting with me and my BEST Bud. A man I've known for over fifty years. My Son spent an entire day showing US how to hit steel at distances that we could not DREAM of when we were his age. My friend now considers 500 yard shots "chip" shots. He isn't interested at shooting at anything less than 1200 yards now. I'm limited by caliber ( for now) and am happy to know that I can dial 950 and hit a 6" circle. .308 haters can piss off.

4)My Lovely Wife. She sustains me in every way and has for almost 46 years. I love her dearly and believe it or not SHE can bang steel at 1000 too!!

5)My Boxerdog. I was gone Friday night and all of Saturday. My wife called and said that the pupper was worried because I was gone. I called back and asked to speak to the pupper and she told me He was asleep. An hour later She called and asked me to talk to the Boxerdog on the phone. I did. She said he was better.

Merry Christmas to all of you!!!

PS---due to travels we are just now putting up the Christmas Tree!!
Link Posted: 12/11/2019 1:20:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The problem with experience as a teacher is the test comes first and then the lesson.
View Quote
Thankfully, it doesn't always have to be our own experience.

Quoted:
Basic fundamentals.

Force on force with simrounds.
View Quote
FoF seems to be a trend...in a good way.

Quoted:
I'm old so SOME of you will need some patience.

1) My time with my Dad and all my Uncles that were WW2 Vets. Absolutely the best upbringing I could ever imagine to enable me to live and raise a family in this world.

2)My time playing football has prepared me to NEVER quit. Quite important to a guy destined to be a Husband and a Father and a Business Owner.

3) Last Saturday. My Son shared his knowledge of long range shooting with me and my BEST Bud. A man I've known for over fifty years. My Son spent an entire day showing US how to hit steel at distances that we could not DREAM of when we were his age. My friend now considers 500 yard shots "chip" shots. He isn't interested at shooting at anything less than 1200 yards now. I'm limited by caliber ( for now) and am happy to know that I can dial 950 and hit a 6" circle. .308 haters can piss off.

4)My Lovely Wife. She sustains me in every way and has for almost 46 years. I love her dearly and believe it or not SHE can bang steel at 1000 too!!

5)My Boxerdog. I was gone Friday night and all of Saturday. My wife called and said that the pupper was worried because I was gone. I called back and asked to speak to the pupper and she told me He was asleep. An hour later She called and asked me to talk to the Boxerdog on the phone. I did. She said he was better.

Merry Christmas to all of you!!!

PS---due to travels we are just now putting up the Christmas Tree!!
View Quote
Merry Christmas! Sounds like a fulfilling life, and I hope you have much more to come!
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 6:02:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What is the most important [defensive/related] training you have received?
View Quote
I would have to say LFI-1 from Ayoob. Specifically the class room portion on the laws of self-defense and interacting with the criminal justice system.

Next would be ECQC from Southnarc (Craig Douglas).  It is amazing how hard it is to bring a gun into action while being mugged by multiple people who are standing less than 5 feet from you.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 10:12:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Force-on-Force.

Until one goes FoF, you don’t really know how you will react to a violent situation.
View Quote

Unless you've been in one prior. Then you do ??
First and only bullet I ever caught (.25auto in the leg from a little raven .25) was before I ever carried a gun. That particular person got his ass beat with his own little pos gun.

First time someone ever cut me with a knife happened before I ever carried a gun. I ran like a bitch from that dude, knives scare me more then guns and he was 6'5 300lbs. Wasnt sticking around for that but hey he didn't get my money lol.

But I do agree FoF is still the best training u can put your training $$ into, along with medical training.

Link Posted: 12/4/2020 5:38:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Training with Pat Rogers.  He was the first national level instructor I visited.  Doing carbine training with a national level, high level, highly respected instructor opened my eyes to all of the deficiencies in all of my training ranging from Army basic training all the way up to that point in my life as a street cop.  I walked out of my first EAG Tactical course a better rifle operator than I had been in my entire life.  I went back to my LE agency and immediately recognized all of the problems we had with our training and SOPs.  A multi-day course with a high level national instructor will yield a lot of training value.

Otherwise, FoF is a great form of training.  You learn a lot when you’re able to actually be shot.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 6:31:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Force-on-Force.

View Quote

Will agree with this.

Especially if you get to do it in an active work environment or school.

Link Posted: 12/7/2020 5:21:09 PM EDT
[#14]
FoF and experience is the best training.

Tops in my book are Mastering the fundamentals, knowing your local laws, holster work, Paul Howe, Gabe Suarez Close Range Gunfighting and Tactical Advantage, COL Applegate, Roger Phillips, John Mosby, Kelly McCann, Kyle Lamb, Pat Mac, H.J. Poole, Southnarc, Appleseed, Medical, fitness, Governor's Twenty, Krav Maga, and the Army.  I also like Karl on Tactical Rifleman.

If I had to rank major areas:
1. Fitness
2. Medical
3. Pistol
4. Rifle
5. Hand-to-hand/knife/OC
Link Posted: 12/7/2020 5:24:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Electronic theory in “A” school Orlando Nuclear Power. Set my path and career.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top