Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2021 2:32:08 PM EDT
Ok, you live in NY and have a pistol license.  All your handguns are on the license.

Let's say you own a 2nd home in NC.  And you bring a few guns there and end up leaving them in your gun safe down south.

Then eventually you (for whatever reason) no longer have your NYS license.  There is no recourse for the state at that point, right?  You just can't possess any handguns back in NY, is that correct?

Not sure if I'm being clear.  Hopefully someone understands what I'm trying to ask.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 9:00:57 PM EDT
[#1]
The only potential issue I see is if the pistols are on your NY license and they are stolen from you out of your NC residence. NYS law requires you to report firearms theft within 24 hours of notice of the theft. Other than that there is no law that requires you to keep guns registered in NY in NY.
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 9:51:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you sarge
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:36:25 PM EDT
[#3]
When I left N.Y. ( bear in mind this process varies greatly from county to county) all that was required ( as I no longer had real estate holdings in NY, was for me to mail my permit to the permit office with a letter stating I had moved out of state.
No longer any connection to NY at all.
On the other hand I know plenty of people who have dual residency with NY and free America ( for now at least)
Keeping guns registered in NY in another state is not an issue, until you sell them. If you for example sell a gun on a N.Y. permit while at your winter house in Florida, not sure how you get it off the N.Y. permit
Link Posted: 1/12/2021 12:30:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When I left N.Y. ( bear in mind this process varies greatly from county to county) all that was required ( as I no longer had real estate holdings in NY, was for me to mail my permit to the permit office with a letter stating I had moved out of state.
No longer any connection to NY at all.
On the other hand I know plenty of people who have dual residency with NY and free America ( for now at least)
Keeping guns registered in NY in another state is not an issue, until you sell them. If you for example sell a gun on a N.Y. permit while at your winter house in Florida, not sure how you get it off the N.Y. permit
View Quote

I would think you could mail a copy of a receipt or bill of sale along with a note to whoever runs the permits in your county and ask that it be removed.  Shouldn't be an issue as long as they have something/someone to "dispose" it to.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 1:27:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Its a misdemeanor to not notify of a change in address.  If you still own the New York house but don't spend any time there in favor of an out of state residence, the consequences are unclear, I've never seen guidance on this.  If you start paying taxes elsewhere and change your license, it becomes more questionable but not cleary a violation.  If you actually move, it could be a problem, but never heard of it being enforced...
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:12:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 9:39:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ok, you live in NY and have a pistol license.  All your handguns are on the license.

Let's say you own a 2nd home in NC.  And you bring a few guns there and end up leaving them in your gun safe down south.

Then eventually you (for whatever reason) no longer have your NYS license.  There is no recourse for the state at that point, right?  You just can't possess any handguns back in NY, is that correct?

Not sure if I'm being clear.  Hopefully someone understands what I'm trying to ask.
View Quote

As clear as mud!  J/K

I do believe you are correct.

If you can legally own them in X state, and let NY County licensing office know they have been transferred there is probably nothing they can do.  

Any order of protection or some violent dispute involved, who knows what means they will go though in order to verify they are not readily available.

Link Posted: 1/15/2021 12:02:31 AM EDT
[#8]
I've heard of people moving out of state with their pistols.  They notify the county that they moved and get an letter stating that their permits are revoked and they need to turn their pistols in.  I'm pretty sure all the county got was this
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top