Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2016 2:35:13 PM EDT
My son is stationed at Ft Drum and is home on leave in IL. Can he bring his shotguns back to NY? He has an old Browning auto 5 and a Benelli Super Nova tactical with regular stock. No shell  extension on either. Thanks
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 4:35:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes he can bring his personally
Owned shotguns to New York as long as they do
Not
Violate the safe act. ( excess capacity thumbhole stock longer than 18" barrel etc)
As a service member I know there are regulations about registering with post storing on post versus off
Post housing and so on which I am sure he is already familiar with. No
Different than if he boxed them up and shipped in his household items when he changed duty stations
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 4:35:52 PM EDT
[#2]
State law wise, those two would be fine.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 6:32:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My son is stationed at Ft Drum and is home on leave in IL. Can he bring his shotguns back to NY? He has an old Browning auto 5 and a Benelli Super Nova tactical with regular stock. No shell  extension on either. Thanks
View Quote

Those two are perfectly fine.
In accordance with DoD regulations, he'll have to register them with the MP's and possibly store them in the Unit Arms Room. (depends and a few factors) otherwise he's good to go.
If he's interested, there are a dozen Clubs in the area that shoot Trap over the Spring/Summer, at least one that has a Winter League, another with Skeet, and Sporting Clays.  Membership is never more than $25. and there isn't a bunch of horseshit with sponsorship, indoctrination, work details, etc.  Membership in the League is $10. and a round of birds $3.
If he Hunts, there are several productive places in the area.
If he's worried about "needing protection"  we're pretty safe up here, and the drug dealers that make the 8 hour trip up here from NYC to sell their wares usually end up a guest of the County...we know who they are, where they shack up, and what they're doing and catch them soon enough.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 7:08:05 PM EDT
[#4]
If he is in the barracks, he will have to leave them w/ the unit armorer. My unit Armorer(Sgt Del), kept his stuff at my place... No kidding
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:25:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If he is in the barracks, he will have to leave them w/ the unit armorer. My unit Armorer(Sgt Del), kept his stuff at my place... No kidding
View Quote

Keeping in mind I've been on/around Drum since 1987, there have been a few horror stories over the "care and safe keeping" of POWs in unit Arms Rooms.  
The Dealer I associate with makes a trip onto Post a few time a month to collect Handguns brought here by Soldiers un-aware of NY's draconian handgun Laws.
We should grab lunch some time....most days I eat at the 1st BCD "Warrior" Dining Facility.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:43:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

We should grab lunch some time....most days I eat at the 1st BCD "Warrior" Dining Facility.
View Quote

This was Ft Carson a decade or so ago. But, Thanks for the offer
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top