Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2013 8:43:12 AM EDT
Q: I want to buy my gun from someone who is not a dealer, i.e., a private sale. What do I have to do?

A: A NICS check must be performed on the buyer by a dealer. The dealer may charge you no more than $10. The dealer will give the prospective buyer a form to show that he or she passed the check. This will take effect on March 15, 2013.

Previously, 1/15/13 was erroneously listed as the effective date.

THIS DOES NOT mean that you can transfer AW's until 3/15/13 - only long guns that do not meet the definition of an AW...zero evil features.

For those of you that can't read between the lines pls refer to some of my previous posts concerning stripped receivers...you now have 2 months...enough said.  

Link Posted: 1/21/2013 8:47:17 AM EDT
[#1]
FUAC
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 8:50:54 AM EDT
[#2]
So if I understand this correctly, private FTF transfers will still be conducted without a 4473.  This NICS status form will be the only evidence of a transfer and I assume something the seller would definitely want to hold on to.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 8:52:48 AM EDT
[#3]
So because stripped lowers have no evil features, can you buy these until 3/15?
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 8:58:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

theoretically, but can you ever build them up after that then?
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 9:07:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So if I understand this correctly, private FTF transfers will still be conducted without a 4473.  This NICS status form will be the only evidence of a transfer and I assume something the seller would definitely want to hold on to.

Not sure how they will handle it after 3/15/13...until then (which is what I think most are concerned with) it's just like it always was - assuming you are FTFing a legal weapon as defined by SAFE 2013.
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 9:18:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

theoretically, but can you ever build them up after that then?

Ok. I wont......
Link Posted: 1/21/2013 9:32:35 AM EDT
[#7]
quote]Quoted:
Quoted:

theoretically, but can you ever build them up after that then?[/quote]

I infer from reading the law as well as the FAQ that posession deadline for AW was the date of signing...IF you posessed it prior to that date you have 1 year to sell out of sate, in state to FFL, register or neuter

The parts about FTF transfers being allowed to 3/15 use wording that does not refer to AWs but rather 'guns', meaning any other firearm has the 60 day grace for NICS requirement.  Any time they refer to the newly classified AW they can it that, not a 'firearm' or 'gun'.

So, you may be able to disassemble a pre-94 AR [with 1+ AW feature] and transfer the lower sans-NICS until 3/15 because the lower is just a firearm.  The other parts are just parts.

However, the new owner did not have possession of the  lower prior to 1/15/13 so if any features are added the new configuration becomes an AW [defined as semi-auto, detachable mag, and 1+ feature] that was not posessed prior to 1/15.  You will not be able to register it because that firearm in that configuration is not in the defined group allowed to be grandfathered via registration [those that were posesses before 1/15/13].

I am not a lawyer and this is not advice - but it does appear that 1/15/13 is a hard ownership cut off for the ability to register an AW. If you pass the registration dead line with a non-AW lower you will never be able to add any feature to it, ever, even if it had those feature at one time, whether it was owned by you or not.

Corrections welcome - the official info on this is still full of holes and may be chagned at any time by the same folks who crafted it in the first place so keep watching, reading and doing what you can to fight back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top