Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/26/2012 7:06:56 AM EDT
I was helping a somewhat friend of the family bail hay last week out in the boonies.  He went on a rant about cougars, and how the DEC released them into the wild to control the coyote population.  Sounds kinda crazy.  Big ass cats roaming the woods sounds like more trouble than coyotes, but what do I know?  It should be noted that he's kind of a crazy old man with lots of wild tales.

I just Googled it and on DEC's own website, it said the common rumor is that they released them into the wild to control deer populations.  They also say it's a myth, and not true.

So what's the deal?  Has anyone here personally seen a cougar/mountain lion in NY?
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 7:08:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 7:20:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I saw tracks about 8 years ago near Canadaway Park outside Cassadaga and the dead deer that was there the previous afternoon was gone.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:04:34 AM EDT
[#3]
My neighbor told me that there is supposedly a large cat in the southern tier. Last year one of his hunting buddies was doing work around the hunting cabin and saw a large cat in the distance, guy swears by it. This past season they saw zero deer while hunting, nothing, nada, zip.

To me the whole story is hearsay since I wasn't there. I even offered to go down and hike the area looking for any type of proof I could find. Even though I never went down I do believe that it is possible to have large feline predators in the state.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:23:52 AM EDT
[#4]
My father claims to have seen one but we thought he was just mistaken… until a neighbor got one on his trail cam. (he contacted the DEC who came and looked and kept copies)

DEC says they're released pets.  Yeah… apparently NY has the highest pet mountain lion population in the world.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 8:31:58 AM EDT
[#5]
DEC released a few in the Southern Tier.

There are some by Letchworth State Park.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 9:33:53 AM EDT
[#6]
yes we have them.

there are also a few small wolf packs in the ADK Park

and there are more bears around in places other than the ADKs or southern tier than people think.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 9:47:33 AM EDT
[#7]
So why is the DEC so hush-hush on this issue?  Do they think there will be a public panic if they admit that there's wild cougars in NY?
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 9:52:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So why is the DEC so hush-hush on this issue?  Do they think there will be a public panic if they admit that there's wild cougars in NY?

because people piss themselves when they see a small black bear in their back yard, can you imagine if people thought there were wolves and lions out there too?

You could spend your life in the Adirondacks and never see them, but they are there.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 11:05:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

because people piss themselves when they see a small black bear in their back yard, can you imagine if people thought there were wolves and lions out there too?

You could spend your life in the Adirondacks and never see them, but they are there.

If you were born in the early 1900s you could have spent most of your lifetime and never seen a wild turkey in upstate NY too.  It used to be a really big deal if you happened to see them.

I think most of the sightings are bobcat and maybe lynx.  I ran into something BIG in a layed up rock "cave" in Sullivan county NY back around 1999-2000.  We were subdividing a ~3000 acre property that had been owned by the same family for >100 years and really never had any development.   I wouldn't bet it was a  mountain lion but it was f-ing big and not a bear.  
Whatever it was it was big and clearly objected to my presence. Locals there had claimed there were mountain lions in the property. The natural skeptic in me says probably a Lynx/bobcat.  At night sometimes you could hear screams in the woods across the lake that sounded like a woman being murdered and that is what lynx supposedly sound like: http://www.nrri.umn.edu/lynx/audio/

http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/6980.html

http://www.catskillmountaineer.com/animals-cougar.html
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 11:18:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you were born in the early 1900s you could have spent most of your lifetime and never seen a wild turkey in upstate NY too.  It used to be a really big deal if you happened to see them.

I think most of the sightings are bobcat and maybe lynx.  I ran into something BIG in a layed up rock "cave" in Sullivan county NY back around 1999-2000.  We were subdividing a ~3000 acre property that had been owned by the same family for >100 years and really never had any development.   I wouldn't bet it was a  mountain lion but it was f-ing big and not a bear.  
Whatever it was it was big and clearly objected to my presence. Locals there had claimed there were mountain lions in the property. The natural skeptic in me says probably a Lynx/bobcat.  At night sometimes you could hear screams in the woods across the lake that sounded like a woman being murdered and that is what lynx supposedly sound like: http://www.nrri.umn.edu/lynx/audio/

I have killed bobcat in the Adirondacks up by Tupper and Saranac Lake, I have called in bobcat during coyote hunting as far west as Avon, NY just 20 miles south of Rochester. That said what is in the Southern Tier is Mountain Lion
There are also Bear Dens in the Genesee Valley out in Geneseo and Avon.  I know because I have seen them myself and have kicked up a few bear myself going through the woods.  There is more out there than you think.  You just need to be out long enough to see it.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 11:23:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've lived 99% of my life in the 'burbs, so I'm not really up on wildlife...................but aren't bobcats significantly smaller than cougars/mountain lions?  Or are they close enough in size that one could be mistaken for another?

Link Posted: 6/26/2012 11:23:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have killed bobcat in the Adirondacks up by Tupper and Saranac Lake, I have called in bobcat during coyote hunting as far west as Avon, NY just 20 miles south of Rochester. That said what is in the Southern Tier is Mountain Lion
There are also Bear Dens in the Genesee Valley out in Geneseo and Avon.  I know because I have seen them myself and have kicked up a few bear myself going through the woods.  There is more out there than you think.  You just need to be out long enough to see it.  

yup.  Bears are all over the place.  Hell there was one hanging around Nine mile creek in Onondaga county a few years back

bears are awesome.  
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 11:24:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've lived 99% of my life in the 'burbs, so I'm not really up on wildlife...................but aren't bobcats significantly smaller than cougars/mountain lions?  Or are they close enough in size that one could be mistaken for another?

there are some big bobcats but there is no mistaking the long tail of a lion.

ETA:
lion

Link Posted: 6/26/2012 11:24:37 AM EDT
[#14]
I've seen plenty of bears out near my parent's house, and they don't even live in the country.  Granted, all were fairly small, though.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 11:26:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've seen plenty of bears out near my parent's house, and they don't even live in the country.  Granted, all were fairly small, though.

NY bear and black bear in general tend to not get that big.  The ones on TV are fat from all the captive eating.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 11:29:58 AM EDT
[#16]
I almost stepped on a bear in canada once.   I could have put my hand on it if I wanted to.  It was awesome and I even got a picture.   Now I have to see if i can find it
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 11:30:11 AM EDT
[#17]
I've been in the woods most of my life working or playing. I've seen bobcats fairly often, they aren't uncommon really and bear are all over the place.  That job was cool because the area had been more or less bypassed by civilization and protected by being owned by the same family for so long, there was a nice lake on it and a snmall road foing through it with just 4 small outparcels in it.  The mountain laurel and blueberry bushes were so thick you couldn't get through a lot of it without a machete and we'd smell bears and kick them out all the time while cutting line. It was a pretty cool job and kind of a shame we were splitting it all up into 5-10 acre lots.  The original family apparently just couldn't afford the land taxes anymore and were cashing out.  At night you'd hear the screams across echo across the lake, it was cool, a real beautiful place.  Some of the people living in the small parcels surrounded by the big one had no running water or electricity and were living like you'd envision hillbillies in Appalachia- still living the same way they had for 100+ years.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 1:11:47 PM EDT
[#18]
So, just like "BLACK HELOCOPTERS" of the 90's if you shoot them, and they don't exist.... they don't count????
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 1:46:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Logger buddy of mine found the skeleton of a deer in the fork of a tree over ten feet in the air, I think it was in the adk park..  Wonder what dragged it up there..
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 2:03:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Back when I lived near Great Meadow Correctional (which was about 8 years ago) we had a cougar that kept coming down the mountain and digging through garbage, killed a neighbor's dog, and terrorized a farm (a couple cows disappeared, she ate well). NYSDEC wouldn't believe or even come look into it as it was on state land (sounded odd to me), so after about two weeks of this someone took action as she was about to kill another cow. She was 162lbs and 7'6" nose to tail, certainly not something I'd want to ever want to come face to face with. It was a beautiful creature though, I'd love to have one for a pet if I ever had a chance. It would make a hell of a good security guard if it didn't eat me first.

On a lighter note, I still have yet to witness Big Foot, he's also a popular sighting in NYS with multiple people claiming to have seen it near Greenwich and Whitehall, which is within minutes of Comstock.

Edit: On a side note, technically, if you happen to see a cougar you're pretty much dead. To my knowledge, they're actually shy, curious creatures and very good stalkers. I've heard accounts of people hiking and being followed for sometimes miles before getting a glimpse of one. It's hard to discern between truth and myth with some of the old-timey stories, but I've heard some from some pretty reputable people whom I respect and trust who wouldn't believe the average "it was this long" story.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 2:37:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, we had a summer camp up in the ADK when I was a kid, and I don't doubt they are up there. But with so much land, you could likely spend a lifetim up there and never see one.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 3:00:05 PM EDT
[#22]
In the last 5 years I have come across track two times. My camp and the area that I hunt in is between Piseco and The Stillwater in The Canada Lakes region. Theyre around
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 3:14:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 3:14:48 PM EDT
[#24]
personal experience in kerhonkson/ulster county and know a few reputable people who saw them in lagrange/dutcess county.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 3:34:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Lolwut?

Knock, knock.
Who's there?
Mountain Lion, lololololol.

Link Posted: 6/26/2012 3:36:06 PM EDT
[#26]
My buddy Dustin took a picture of one standing on his back porch in Harford PA, which isn't that far from Binghamton, so it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see them in the southern tier.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 3:49:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
My buddy Dustin took a picture of one standing on his back porch in Harford PA, which isn't that far from Binghamton, so it wouldn't surprise me one bit to see them in the southern tier.

I live in Binghamton.  If I see a fucking mountain lion here in town, I'm gonna shit my pants and probably shit the pants of anyone near me.

Then again, I've seen some weird things happen right in the middle of downtown where I worked years ago.  One time, a deer wandered downtown, jumped through the window of a coffee shop (luckily it was early in the AM before it opened), tore shit up in a confusion-filled storm of WTF, jump back through the window...........then went to the riverwalk and jumped the flood wall to it's death about 30' below.

Another time, I was getting into work at about 5AM.  Parked my car and saw what I thought was a big ass stray dog in between some other cars.  Went into work and a female co-worker came in a little while later screaming that there was a bear in the parking lot.  We look out the window and there is 3 or 4 cop cars trying to coral it.  It was pretty small, but it was still seeing a bear in downtown Bing.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 5:03:44 PM EDT
[#28]
was sitting on the overlook's stone wall after dark up in Thatcher park talking with a friend and noticed a black blob leaning on the stone wall about 10 yards away.  Damn black bear came down in the dark silently and I didn't notice it until it hopped up and put it's forepaws on the stone wall.  That'd be worse than getting caught by the park cops after dark.  

I never say never on any wildlife critter in the woods.

As far as cats in NY there are some factors;
- for years there were folks permitted to possess them with a special license for educational or scientific purposes.  In the 80-90's more than half were idiots keeping them as pets.  Of course some of the bred and some of them were sure to get loose.  Monkeys eating their owners face and hands pretty much stopped that.  maybe the monkeys were on bath salts or window cleaner.
- there is an illegal trade in live exotic animals in every state in the union, no different than illegal machine guns, silencers, drugs, whatever.  
- Canada has them just across the border.  Wouldn't be hard for a cat to nonchalantly cross the river when it freezes.  I believe there are still a few throughout the  appalachian mtns.  Migration of young looking for their own territory would be expected.

That said most of the reports are false sightings; bobcats, house cats, fishers (black pumas sightings are pretty much likely to be fishers)  The last reported mountain lion pad print someone showed me had horseshoe nails.  I shit you not.  I'm fairly sceptical, I haven't seen any road killed mountain lions, no persons reporting being attacked (which is all too common in western states).  I have seen a deer with large chunk of flesh removed from the top of the of the rump that had just started to heal over before being shot in the deer season and what could possibly be claw marks down the rib cage.   Bobcat would not be doing that to an 8 pt. buck.

I'm not from Missouri but I still say show me.
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 5:04:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Back when I lived near Great Meadow Correctional (which was about 8 years ago) we had a cougar that kept coming down the mountain and digging through garbage, killed a neighbor's dog, and terrorized a farm (a couple cows disappeared, she ate well). NYSDEC wouldn't believe or even come look into it as it was on state land (sounded odd to me), so after about two weeks of this someone took action as she was about to kill another cow. She was 162lbs and 7'6" nose to tail, certainly not something I'd want to ever want to come face to face with. It was a beautiful creature though, I'd love to have one for a pet if I ever had a chance. It would make a hell of a good security guard if it didn't eat me first.

On a lighter note, I still have yet to witness Big Foot, he's also a popular sighting in NYS with multiple people claiming to have seen it near Greenwich and Whitehall, which is within minutes of Comstock.

Edit: On a side note, technically, if you happen to see a cougar you're pretty much dead. To my knowledge, they're actually shy, curious creatures and very good stalkers. I've heard accounts of people hiking and being followed for sometimes miles before getting a glimpse of one. It's hard to discern between truth and myth with some of the old-timey stories, but I've heard some from some pretty reputable people whom I respect and trust who wouldn't believe the average "it was this long" story.

A friend of mine has worked at Great Meadow for years and lived at one of the prison owned houses till I helped him move closer to Saratoga. I've hiked all over the area behind Dolph Pond and West Fort Ann and seen a cougar or mountain lion twice in Hogtown.  While hunting, I had a large wolf walk past me. About 30 years ago, my uncle, brother and I were out woodchuck hunting in Guilder Hollow, North Granville and saw what we thought was Bigfoot standing by a tree on a hill. After it took off running, we went up to compare the size of the tree to estimate how tall he was. My uncle still talks about it to this day.

Now that I carry a camera in the woods, I finally got pictures of the moose that were making tracks every year in Dresden, above Whitehall.
Years ago, I loaned out my book  called "Monsters of the Northwoods" which tells about Bigfoot, mountain lions and other neat stuff in the Vermont, Whitehall area. Wish I still had it, look what it's going for now!  Edit...forgot I bought another copy!!!   http://www.amazon.com/Monsters-Northwoods-Paul-Bartholomew/dp/0925168009

Link Posted: 6/26/2012 5:45:41 PM EDT
[#30]
It will be a dead kitty if I ever see one while hunting.

I go to and from my stands in the dark, often w no flashlight, especially during archery season.  I do not want to tangle w a mountail lion....

Plenty of 400-500lb bear where I hunt.  I've yet to take a shot @ one...
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 5:44:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It will be a dead kitty if I ever see one while hunting.

I go to and from my stands in the dark, often w no flashlight, especially during archery season.  I do not want to tangle w a mountain lion....

Plenty of 400-500lb bear where I hunt.  I've yet to take a shot @ one...

First year Archery hunting here I ended up a couple miles from the truck by the time the sun was completely gone.....on the way back I hear these dogs circling around me yelping & crying, getting close but wouldn't come up to me. I'm thinking someone's dogs were lost. (lost dogs in the woods are common in FL where it's legal and common to run deer with dogs)
Here I am calling to them trying to get them to follow me so I could bring them out of the woods & find their owner.

I didn't know schitt about coyotes, but do now.
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 7:12:35 PM EDT
[#33]
I spend most of my free time in the woods. I have trail cameras up all year long. I have never, ever seen any sign of mountain lions in NY.
I saw them in Wyoming, they leave a lot of sign in areas they live. There are no lions here. DEC did not "stock them" here. What would be the reason for stocking lions in NY??? They could put a hurt on a deer population, the state wants the revenue for deer licenses.
Come on people.......
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 9:39:43 PM EDT
[#34]
I have personally seen a Mountain Lion about 8 years ago in Stanfordville, NY, Dutchess County, There are also no moose in Southern NY, however one was hit by a car in Pine Plains NY, about 10 minutes north of Stanfordville.
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 11:15:01 PM EDT
[#35]
bobcats and wolves have been caught on security cameras within the Milton power facility in Galway.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 12:21:24 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I have personally seen a Mountain Lion about 8 years ago in Stanfordville, NY, Dutchess County, There are also no moose in Southern NY, however one was hit by a car in Pine Plains NY, about 10 minutes north of Stanfordville.

Plenty of moose in Southern Tier. Guy on a bike ran over one in East Greenbush 3 years ago on 90. If you go to the state museum in Albany and look at the moose map, they show them in Westchester.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 4:24:10 AM EDT
[#37]
We recently had a black bear tear up the 3d archery targets at my sportsman's club, in West Monroe, just north of Syracuse.  This is not uncommon to have bear sightings around here.
As far as cougar sightings, I've heard stories of people seeing them around.  Last year at Pop Warner football, another father and I were talking about hunting, and he started telling me about the big cat that he has seen while deer hunting.  This was a area near Brewerton/Central Square.  The next time I saw him, he brought a stack of photos from his trail cam.  The first photo showed some turkeys walking by.  Then he had some good photos of what is most definitely a mountain lion.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 5:42:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
We recently had a black bear tear up the 3d archery targets at my sportsman's club, in West Monroe, just north of Syracuse.  This is not uncommon to have bear sightings around here.
As far as cougar sightings, I've heard stories of people seeing them around.  Last year at Pop Warner football, another father and I were talking about hunting, and he started telling me about the big cat that he has seen while deer hunting.  This was a area near Brewerton/Central Square.  The next time I saw him, he brought a stack of photos from his trail cam.  The first photo showed some turkeys walking by.  Then he had some good photos of what is most definitely a mountain lion.

I believe it.    

I do a lot of aerial photos around the state for work and you start to fully appreciate how much forest is in this state when you see it from the air.   These animals don't want to be seen
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 7:19:11 AM EDT
[#39]
Medicine Bow National Forest in SE Wyoming.
Jesus - I hope I NEVER see one again....
That was 15 years ago and still scares the beejeebers out of me.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 7:20:44 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I spend most of my free time in the woods. I have trail cameras up all year long. I have never, ever seen any sign of mountain lions in NY.
I saw them in Wyoming, they leave a lot of sign in areas they live. There are no lions here. DEC did not "stock them" here. What would be the reason for stocking lions in NY??? They could put a hurt on a deer population, the state wants the revenue for deer licenses.
Come on people.......

There's people right here in this thread who say they have seen them with their own eyes here in NY, though.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 8:17:06 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

My father claims to have seen one but we thought he was just mistaken… until a neighbor got one on his trail cam. (he contacted the DEC who came and looked and kept copies)

DEC says they're released pets.  Yeah… apparently NY has the highest pet mountain lion population in the world.

My parents neighbor up in Saranac/Black Brook area caught 2 on his game cams.  DEC said the same thing.  Since they seem to be so common for pets maybe I should look into getting one, would be a better theft deterent then a dog I would imagine.

Link Posted: 6/28/2012 6:43:44 PM EDT
[#42]
one in poughkeepsie 20 years ago or so.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/28/2012 6:53:50 PM EDT
[#43]
You never saw one means you never saw one and that's all that means.  You may as well have just called me and the others with personal experiences liars.  Ignorant!

Quoted:
Come on people.......

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 2:45:48 AM EDT
[#44]
10 years ago, I was living in Dutchess county and took the Taconic every day to and from the city.  I was driving north, just past (Yorktown-ish?) and swerved around what appeared to be a lion-rug, laying between the lanes.  The head was bigger than my rottie's.  Stopped to confirm, yup...lion.  Except for the blood and mush, it looked like a taxidermy rug.

I figured some kook raised it till it got too big and let it loose.

Before going on the irish-welfare, I worked for a reptile importer. As a result, I met folks who kept all kinds of crazy (and illegal, very dangerous,) animals.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 3:20:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Wasnt there a guy that kept a tiger and an alligator, both huge, in the NYC projects 10 years ago. He could not even enter apt. Just threw in food.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 5:24:34 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

was sitting on the overlook's stone wall after dark up in Thatcher park talking with a friend and noticed a black blob leaning on the stone wall about 10 yards away.  Damn black bear came down in the dark silently and I didn't notice it until it hopped up and put it's forepaws on the stone wall.  That'd be worse than getting caught by the park cops after dark.  

I never say never on any wildlife critter in the woods.

As far as cats in NY there are some factors;

- for years there were folks permitted to possess them with a special license for educational or scientific purposes.  In the 80-90's more than half were idiots keeping them as pets.  Of course some of the bred and some of them were sure to get loose.  Monkeys eating their owners face and hands pretty much stopped that.  maybe the monkeys were on bath salts or window cleaner.

- there is an illegal trade in live exotic animals in every state in the union, no different than illegal machine guns, silencers, drugs, whatever.  

- Canada has them just across the border.  Wouldn't be hard for a cat to nonchalantly cross the river when it freezes.  I believe there are still a few throughout the  appalachian mtns.  Migration of young looking for their own territory would be expected.

That said most of the reports are false sightings; bobcats, house cats, fishers (black pumas sightings are pretty much likely to be fishers)  The last reported mountain lion pad print someone showed me had horseshoe nails.  I shit you not.  I'm fairly sceptical, I haven't seen any road killed mountain lions, no persons reporting being attacked (which is all too common in western states).  I have seen a deer with large chunk of flesh removed from the top of the of the rump that had just started to heal over before being shot in the deer season and what could possibly be claw marks down the rib cage.   Bobcat would not be doing that to an 8 pt. buck.

I'm not from Missouri but I still say show me.

There was one in Lake George. Someone came and collected hair from where it bedded down and they ran a DNA test on it. Mountain Lion. The same one was latter hit by a car and killed in CT. That was less than two years ago.

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 6:10:24 AM EDT
[#47]
There are mountain lions in the adirondacks.  Period.  They are here.  

DEC will vigourously deny existence of ML in NY.  If they acknowledge a fledgling population here, then they have a "florida panther" type problem.  It easiest to simply claim that all ML sightings are either mistaken (bullshit -  what other feline has a three foot tail?  its impossible to mistake for a bobcat), or that its someone's pet (yah right).

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 7:03:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Come on people.......

Why would they need to be "stocked"?  Whats with this obsessionwith the notion that they were stocked?  The damn things range about their own, same as any big cats.  
http://www.ct.gov/deep/lib/deep/press_releases/2011/2011-07-26_mtnlionpresentation.pdf   I suppose that one took a plane...

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 9:17:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
There are mountain lions in the adirondacks.  Period.  They are here.  

DEC will vigourously deny existence of ML in NY.  If they acknowledge a fledgling population here, then they have a "florida panther" type problem.  It easiest to simply claim that all ML sightings are either mistaken (bullshit -  what other feline has a three foot tail?  its impossible to mistake for a bobcat), or that its someone's pet (yah right).

I wouldn't say they don't exist here because I lack all seeing powers but I am very sure that there numerous misidentifications, bobcats for mtn lions, mtn lions with long tails that happen to leave tracks the size of housecats or fisher.   No one said ALL but you froz.  Just like fish in St. Lawrence River, I know what's commonly living there but I damned well wouldn't deign to exclude the chance of seeing something that's not supposed to be there.  That's just stupid.  

As far as captive cats I can personally attest to some that were kept in Morristown and some that were in Colton, both under license at the time.  Both of those persons got rid of them.   I'm not sure you're saying that there were no captive cats or not but it looks like you were stating that.  And yes, more than one person reported mtn lion sigting that were nothing more than housecats.  Fisher are the other top contender for goofy sightings.    It happens, just like poeple shooting fellow hunters they thought were a deer.  Many people are not realiable witnesses.

there's no conspiracy, just reactionary people that say there is.  some folks just thrive on spreading that kind of bullshit.

Like I said, I'm not from Missouri but I need to show me proof, more than internet photos (with colorado plates on the vehicle in the background), more than my brother's cousin's first wife saw one.  

I will freely say that there are a couple things that make me believe there are few; one was the 8pt buck with a hunk of skin/flesh missing from the top of his rump,  he also had some scratches down the flanks.  Kind of consistent with how the big cats in Africa are often filmed taking game they run down when they don't get a good shot at the neck.   I've also heard of a couple deer carcasses stashed in tree branches.  That's big cat behavior.    
That's not quite proof but it does make think.
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 6:48:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Rode up on horseback on a mountain lion in Cattskill in 1996.  It was near the bottom of the Cattskill Mountain House trail that takes you all the way up to North/South Lake in Tannersville.  Came up quick on the Lion and it was in a flat out run.  Very fast and definitely had a long tail. The eeriest part was that as fast as it was running you could hear nothing.  That is what stood out the most and left me to believe that they probably see us more than we see them.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top