Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2012 8:33:24 AM EDT
Hey all - just looking at Monroe County's pistol permit website http://www.monroecounty.gov/clerk-pistolpermits.php I am seeing a few new, and wacky requirements...

One is all the damn hoops to jump through to take possession of a handgun from a deceased person...(I will be dealing with this in 5-10 years...my grandfather has a very nice collection of 20-30 WWII handguns and other nice pistols)

Adding a Gun from a Deceased - In order to add a gun from a deceased person, you will need a custody report from a police agency or receipt from a dealer, a Letter of Testamentary from Surrogate's Court that shows the appointment of an Executor or Administrator of the estate, a notarized statement from the Executor or Administrator of the estate granting permission to the person wishing to add the gun, and the permit of the decedent or a copy of the death certificate. You may contact Surrogate's Court for proper paperwork at 585-428-5200.

A custody report from police or a dealer??...so now you have to either turn all of the guns into some incompetent local police agency? Or the NYSP? Who will probably "lose" them...Or you have to turn them all into an FFL, who will ultimately charge you $50 per handgun to transfer back to you???

A letter from Surrogate's Court showing that an Executor has been appointed??? That sounds like a real pain in the ass.

A notarized letter from the Executor...This used to be the only requirement, no?

And the deceased's permit or death certificate...I guess that is easy enough.

This is insane.

SECOND...another NYS hometown thread got me looking at the updated Monroe County pistol website...and for INDIVIDUAL (face to face) handgun sales in NY...

Adding a Gun from an Individual - When a gun is obtained from an individual, a dated notarized bill of sale or a notarized statement of permission is required to add it to the new owner’s permit. The bill of sale or consent statement must show the names, addresses, pistol permit carry numbers and the original date of issue of both the seller’s and the buyer's permit. The gun must be described by make, caliber, serial number and whether the gun is a revolver or semi-automatic.

A Bill of Sale will indicate that the seller will be removing the firearm(s) from their permit and will be transferring ownership to the buyer. The seller must also take the firearm off their permit by completing an amendment. A Consent Form indicates that the two individuals involved in the transaction will be co-registering the gun.

* Please note that you must be updated with a background Brady check prior to the addition of any firearm from an individual. This check must be completed once every 5 years and there is no cost to the permit holder. Please stop into our office with your pistol permit to complete the paperwork. You will receive the completed Brady check in the mail in approximately 4 to 6 weeks and this is to be kept for your own personal records. Once you receive this paperwork, you will be allowed to add firearms from an individual.

A notarized bill of sale?...that never used to be required...It used to be just go into the county clerk's office with the other individual, fill out 1 simple amendment form listing make, caliber, serial number, address etc. and they do the amendment....Now you both have to get a notarized bill of sale drawn up???

And lastly...What the hell is this 5 year Brady check thing when dealing with individual sales? Is this because you aren't going through an FFL and getting an NICS check? So they make you wait 4-6 weeks to pass an NICS check (if your Brady check has lapsed that is)?? Even though a brady check is usually INSTANT???

Monroe County is getting to be a pain in the ass...used to be great...at least we have same day purchase coupons...no 3 week wait for amendments...Yet.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:45:48 AM EDT
[#1]
A will is the absolute worst way a person should distribute property from his/her estate. Talk to your Grandpa and sit down with an estate planning attorney and structure an estate plan that will guarantee you will actually have those handguns transferred to you upon his death. The best way is to have your Grandpa should transfer them to you while he is alive.

As far as your MC pistol licensing agency If I were you I'd count my lucky stars that you reside in MC.  

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:12:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
A will is the absolute worst way a person should distribute property from his/her estate. Talk to your Grandpa and sit down with an estate planning attorney and structure an estate plan that will guaranty you will actually have those handguns transferred to you upon his death. The best way is to have your Grandpa should transfer them to you while he is alive.

As far as your MC pistol licensing agency If I were you I'd count my lucky stars that you reside in MC.  

Yeah I definitely should get them all transferred to me while he is still around. I just think that in the event of an untimely or surpsise death, those hoops they are NOW making people jump through are a little crazy.

And yes, Monroe County is pretty good as far as issuing ONLY full carry license...and no amendment wait times...so I am lucky.

Now if I can only get my Monroe County permit validated for NYC carry, I will be really happy.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 9:48:38 AM EDT
[#3]
see if your county will let you co-register them
I know Chautauqua and Erie will
my dad is having my brother and I both co-register all his handguns on our permits in case something happens
my brother and I are also co-registering each others handguns
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 12:49:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
see if your county will let you co-register them
I know Chautauqua and Erie will
my dad is having my brother and I both co-register all his handguns on our permits in case something happens
my brother and I are also co-registering each others handguns

Yes Monroe allows that as well! My father and I have all our handguns co-registered. It was very easy...

But...my grandmother got her pistol permit, and coregistered all of my grandfathers handguns on her permit as well...the county clerk people were pissed they had to type up 25-30 handguns onto 2 paper permits

I am not sure if they will allow 3 people to coregister...but I will call and ask! Good idea.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 1:44:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I am also a Monroe County resident. If he writes you a letter of permission allowing the guns to be listed on your permit, they won't even know the guns are listed elsewhere, and they probably will not ask. Just do the letter up like a receipt for a face to face transaction, excluding the "sale" portion and instead put "hereby give my permission to list on the following permit" etc. then have the guns added. My wife and I are in the process of doing this right now. It is a huge pain in the ass but way better than a will transfer which is costly and can take months. Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:02:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Yes Monroe allows that as well! My father and I have all our handguns co-registered. It was very easy...

But...my grandmother got her pistol permit, and coregistered all of my grandfathers handguns on her permit as well...the county clerk people were pissed they had to type up 25-30 handguns onto 2 paper permits

I am not sure if they will allow 3 people to coregister...but I will call and ask! Good idea.

I thought of that but I didn't think MC allowed co-registration. If you ever say another bad word about the MC pistol licensing section I'm going to send the wife and girls up to personally kick your ass.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:02:41 PM EDT
[#7]
monroe county was also having their people set up on site for the rochester guns shows, I haven't been in a while but they probably still do
I always thought that was cool
hochul started doing the same thing in erie county for the hamburg show a year or two ago.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top