Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2011 4:30:32 PM EDT
I know, its a very exciting topic

Im in the market for some 5 round mags for hunting and of course have to wade (no, not you Adirondack1) through the bullshit to figure out what I can and cant use in the field legally. It seems like most of them irrespective of manufacturer are based on a 20 round mag body with some sort of block in them which im sure somehow violates the spirit of ENCON law or the NYSAWB. There are also several manufacturers out of CA that block, rivet and epoxy 20 round PMAG's for a resonable price but it would seem that they could potentially draw more attention from DEC (whom I seem to run across every year in the deer woods).

So what do you guys who hunt with your AR's use? Whats the safest play here?
Link Posted: 12/20/2011 4:34:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Bushmaster.  Uses magpul followers, true 5 round design, mag is almost flush with magwell sans half an inch of over hang.
Function 100%, killed dozens of yotes with them.
Link Posted: 12/20/2011 5:01:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Old school Colt 20 round magazine with 80's vintage factory folded sheet metal round limiter.  IIRC I was talking about the folded sheet metal limiters online and an arfcommer kindly sent one to me with some other swag from his box.  I think it was Mongo but if it wasn't I apologize to the kind soul who did send them to me some 6 years ago or so.  IIRC Colt originally sent all their late 80's guns with those mags and the inserts were removeable.  They were later riveted to the floor plate.

As long as the magazine has to be disassembled to remove the limiter you're ok as far as the Encon laws limiting you to 5+1 in a centerfire rifle.  After ban high caps modded to less than 10 (or 5) I guess would have to be permanently (re)manufactured but I'm not an expert on that side of the house.  I won't comment on them.

Other "remedies" such as only loading 5, inserting 15 empty casings first, or using plastic snap caps won't legally cut it.  FYI - the encon law in question is an unclassified misdemeanor.  The Penal Law high capacity ammunition feeding device is a felony.  [Sgt. Esterhaus] Be careful out there! [/Sgt. Esterhaus]

Link Posted: 12/20/2011 5:15:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Almost exact specs of bushmaster.  Either one will work fine
Link Posted: 12/20/2011 5:29:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Old school Colt 20 round magazine with 80's vintage factory folded sheet metal round limiter.  IIRC I was talking about the folded sheet metal limiters online and an arfcommer kindly sent one to me with some other swag from his box.  I think it was Mongo but if it wasn't I apologize to the kind soul who did send them to me some 6 years ago or so.  IIRC Colt originally sent all their late 80's guns with those mags and the inserts were removeable.  They were later riveted to the floor plate.

As long as the magazine has to be disassembled to remove the limiter you're ok as far as the Encon laws limiting you to 5+1 in a centerfire rifle.  After ban high caps modded to less than 10 (or 5) I guess would have to be permanently (re)manufactured but I'm not an expert on that side of the house.  I won't comment on them.

Other "remedies" such as only loading 5, inserting 15 empty casings first, or using plastic snap caps won't legally cut it.  FYI - the encon law in question is an unclassified misdemeanor.  The Penal Law high capacity ammunition feeding device is a felony.  [Sgt. Esterhaus] Be careful out there! [/Sgt. Esterhaus]

All good info, thank you. I had wondered about using one of my 1970's Colt/UI 20 rounders with only 5 in it and going that route. Good thing I asked!

Link Posted: 12/20/2011 6:19:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought some 5 round C-Product 6.5 Grendel mags. When they came I couldn't believe how heavy they were.

When I took them apart I saw why. They're based on the 10 round bodies, but the spring is the secret. There's about an inch and a have of unbent spring. The bottom usn't bent to make it a "spring", just a tube of wrapped wire.
Link Posted: 12/20/2011 6:58:36 PM EDT
[#7]
How did they work function wise?
Link Posted: 12/20/2011 7:24:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Seem to work just fine so far, just surprised me was all.  Seemed like a waste of materials to me, but it was probably cheaper than making an additional part.

Link Posted: 12/20/2011 7:51:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How did they work function wise?

I have some bushy or c products 5 rounders they look the same as those 6.5 Grendel mags on the inside. I you are going to order some let me know what the price is an I will get them from midway or brownells with my dealer account (god I love my C&R). I was going to use mine for some coyote hunting this year.
Link Posted: 12/20/2011 8:23:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Master Molder polymer 10 rounder modded to 5 works well for me.
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 5:01:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

+1

I have two of these came with the colt when I purchased in July of the year the assault weapons ban was passed in Sept. They are riveted so it passes the ECON rule of a plug.. I don't have a drill with me when I'm out in the woods so no way they can tag me with more than 5 rounds.  

Link Posted: 12/21/2011 5:06:45 AM EDT
[#12]
I use this one, no denying its only 5 rounds
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/292440/john-masen-magazine-ar-15-223-remington-5-round-steel-blue
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 5:41:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I bought some 5 round C-Product 6.5 Grendel mags. When they came I couldn't believe how heavy they were.

When I took them apart I saw why. They're based on the 10 round bodies, but the spring is the secret. There's about an inch and a have of unbent spring. The bottom usn't bent to make it a "spring", just a tube of wrapped wire.

I bought quite a few of these directly from C-Products and from 44 Mag. Decent mags. Not sure if either party is currently offering them.
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 6:52:28 AM EDT
[#14]

I have two of these myself and one is very tight in the magwell and won't drop free.
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 8:29:51 AM EDT
[#15]
I jerry-rigged my own by cutting a 30-rounder in half and adding in a spacer between the follower and the floor plate, which I wired back into the mag body. It looks like a turd, but works.
Link Posted: 12/21/2011 5:32:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It seems to me that I talked to someone about this just the other day

Link Posted: 12/22/2011 6:39:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

I have two of these came with the colt when I purchased in July of the year the assault weapons ban was passed in Sept. They are riveted so it passes the ECON rule of a plug.. I don't have a drill with me when I'm out in the woods so no way they can tag me with more than 5 rounds.  

You don't need that rivet to be in compliance but it's certainly incontrovertable.  The test is does it have to be disassembled to convert.  Same as the duck guns.  Basically a plug on the non cartridge side of the follower or a modification to the magazine body to prevent the follower from depressing to far.  

NNYd, but did you kill any of them yet?
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 8:46:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

You don't need that rivet to be in compliance but it's certainly incontrovertable.  The test is does it have to be disassembled to convert.  Same as the duck guns.  Basically a plug on the non cartridge side of the follower or a modification to the magazine body to prevent the follower from depressing to far.  

NNYd, but did you kill any of them yet?

Not yet but since I have Monday off I'm going to get started early in the morning and try a few different spots.  The last 2 weekends of deer season for rifle and muzzleloading we drove the same spot and kicked a coyote out each time.  Greasy little bastard keeps hanging around in there because there are a bunch of fawns and rabbits in the brush so hopefully he's there in the morning and I can call him out.  We also have a couple of spots that look like good bobcat habitat as well so I hope to get a shot at one at some point this season.
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 11:19:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Just a heads up on the Bushmaster 5 rounders - I ordered two (direct from Bushmaster, I think) and both came marked as 5 rounds but one turned out to be a ten round magazine.  

Make sure you double check them before heading out!
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 12:42:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/23/2011 1:13:33 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a 5 round that came with my Bushmaster. Never even been loaded. It's yours if you promise to use it in good health.
Link Posted: 12/23/2011 4:15:13 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't hunt, but have a question. Does the law say you can only bring 5 rounds with you? As in you can't have multiple 5 round magazines? Would seem a little redundant otherwise...
Link Posted: 12/23/2011 4:34:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I don't hunt, but have a question. Does the law say you can only bring 5 rounds with you? As in you can't have multiple 5 round magazines? Would seem a little redundant otherwise...

5 rounds in rifle magazine.  As many mags as you wish to carry.
Link Posted: 12/25/2011 8:08:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Get a Chinese SKS chest rig.  10 pockets perfectly fitted to 5 round AR mags, use half or as many of them as you want for mags then put ponchos, orange vest, spare pair of gloves or socks, etc. in the others.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:16:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Does anyone here use the Magpul 5 round limiters in a pre ban 20 round mag?  If so, how well do they work for you?
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 8:25:27 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Does anyone here use the Magpul 5 round limiters in a pre ban 20 round mag?  If so, how well do they work for you?

The problem with answering that question is you would have to buy them already installed and the floor plate pinned before you can have Magpul mags in NY.  They sell the compliant magpul mags at midwest manufacturing. http://midwestpx.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_68&products_id=299

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 4:46:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:

The problem with answering that question is you would have to buy them already installed and the floor plate pinned before you can have Magpul mags in NY.  They sell the compliant magpul mags at midwest manufacturing. http://midwestpx.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_68&products_id=299

I mean using the limiters inside of a USGI mag, not a Magpul PMag.  The limiters are available on their own as a separate component.  That's what I'd be looking at buying, so that I can have both a pre ban 20 round mag and a 5 round mag for hunting, both things I want and would rather not pay twice if I can avoid it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 7:48:51 AM EDT
[#28]
I have never seen a magpul 5 round limiter for steel USGI magazines. The only ones I know of are http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG280/101 .
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:53:34 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm asking if those will work in USGI mags, if they're compatible with them.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:19:14 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I mean using the limiters inside of a USGI mag, not a Magpul PMag.  The limiters are available on their own as a separate component.  That's what I'd be looking at buying, so that I can have both a pre ban 20 round mag and a 5 round mag for hunting, both things I want and would rather not pay twice if I can avoid it.

You can make the 5 round USGI limiters yourself with only a few basic hand tools. If you want I'll list the exact dimensions from my Colt factory limiters. AFAIK you really don't need to rivet the floor plate but that's also easy to do with an aluminum pop rivet. The rivet can easily be drilled out anytime you ant to restore the mag to 20 rds.

Link Posted: 1/6/2012 1:50:25 PM EDT
[#31]
When you go to put them in and have to cut the bottom that secures them to the floor plate of the magazine they will flop around, and I have no idea if they will work.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:48:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Pics of 5 round U shape blocked Colt mags.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_17/425483_.html
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top