Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2011 1:35:50 PM EDT
I am surprised I haven't seen this before.  Surely there is some mistake.

NY gun laws

In the "assault weapons" section of that document, one of the definitions of "Assault Weapon" is "Any of the weapons or functioning frames or receivers of such weapons, or copies or duplicates of such weapons, in any caliber, such as

blah blah blah

and the FAL is listed on there.

Surely there is more to the story?  I can't remember ever seeing a FAL on a range here in NY but obviously AR15s and AKs are way more popular.  I was planning to get a tricked out FAL for my next rifle.  Am I misunderstanding something about this law?

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:51:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I know Accurate Arms in Ammo, formerly of Schenectady (Now of Amsterdam?) used to sell a bunch of them.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 2:51:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Legal in NY, but post-94 ban rifles can't have functional bayonet lugs, flash hiders, or exposed barrel threads.
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 4:19:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I just bought one at a local gun shop... it is not the first one I have seen there, but they are definitely uncommon to come across.  It has a compensator not a flash hider and no bayonet lug or attachment.  What would be illegal in Ny is an FAL that is a FN brand.  You cannot own a Fabrique National BRAND FAL rifle. Just like we can't have an AR rifle made by colt with the word AR-15 on the receiver.  Makes no sense but it is the law. You can however buy a super nice FAL from DSA!
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 7:52:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, I am pretty sure that the only FN manufactured FALs were all preban, so they would be fine in NY (although they will cost you).  I believe it was determined that, to be a "copy or duplicate" of a firearm, it must be an exact copy including the name, which is why you cannot have a post ban AR marked "AR-15".  Preban firearms are exempt from the list and there are no restrictions to owning a preban colt with an "AR-15" rollmark, I believe the CT AWB law does have a ban on preban AR-15 marked guns though.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:06:52 AM EDT
[#5]

I bought my DSA FAL carbine  from  an Arfcommer when I lived in NY ,  still got it
There's a few NY Fal groupies on board here.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:25:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a German G1 Varient for sale with optics and accessories right now.
Post Ban FALs ar GTG providing they either have a muzzlebreak or a sleeved FH like the one I used for the picture.

As for prebans you'll be paying out the nose for one.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:57:05 AM EDT
[#7]
OK everyone.  Thanks for the clarification.  I pretty much figured I was missing something, but I freaked when I saw the list on the NRA page.  I've been thinking about this rifle for a long time.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:42:42 PM EDT
[#8]
FAL's are good-to-go. The "ban" was aimed at named weapons, not the design itself:
"Colt AR-15" (post-ban) is a no-go, however the same rifle named Colt "Sporter" is a go.
o long as you comply with the 922(r) regulations which are basically six US made parts, seven if one is a muzzle device and no evil features like collapsable stocks, bayonet lugs, flash-hiders, et.al. they're as legal as any other semi-auto rifle.
If they were illegal, I'd be in a heap 'o trouble.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:29:26 AM EDT
[#9]
The only FN FAL is the ones marked "FAL"  which is some sold to South Africa and the G Series.   If it ain't marked "FN FAL" it ain't an FN FAL.

All the non-FN made rifles are not "duplicates" nor "copies";  if I can tell the difference, then they are not replicas, any more than a fake GTO is not a GTO, nor a replica of a GTO- it's a fake GTO.    

There were NO FN made FALs marked "FAL"  after 1989...even before.   Ergo,  no such animal exists as far as NYS law is concerned.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top