Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2009 9:20:16 AM EDT
Most of the time when I go to gunstores I get helpfull service and generally knowlegdable people, not anymore.

I went to one of my favorites because they normally have everything Im looking for within reason. Cluttered store but still cool to go to. I found out they do some gunsmithing work so I asked if they could take the sear block out of my colt lower. All that I got from him was it was a Felony to do so, and he said because it was illegal to remove the sear block and illegal because of the hole in the side of the receiver. Last time I checked removing a non ATF mandated sear block and having one wrong sized hole in the side of the receiver wasn't grounds for constructive intent. The worker was also running around like crazy and seemed to busy to actually give me the time of day.

Different gunshop, everyone says how good they are so I go to visit. Looking around and see a MSAR and get to asking about since I don't know much about them, I asked if it took Styer Aug magazines. The gunshop worker told me it was a felony to use preban magazines in a post ban weapon and that he " was told by a pro 2nd state police officer" I told him that it was clearly written in NYS law that it wasn't illegal. Ignorant and not worth fighting over the subject so I just left.

I hate people who "know" everything.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 10:28:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 11:54:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 12:44:54 PM EDT
[#3]
1st store in story is Collector Rifle and Ammo
2nd store Loudsberry's middletown NY
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 1:54:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Loundsberry's never struck me like they actually wanted to SELL the guns, not the way they were priced anyway. I probably haven't been in there in 10 years because of that. Was always nice to go look at the collection though.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 2:25:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The gunshop worker told me it was a felony to use preban magazines in a post ban weapon.

Apparently, that crazy sh#t is rampant. My brother-in-law heard the same foolishness from one of his patients....who's a cop.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 3:15:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I like supporting small guys like Loundsberry but IMO, the guns section of their store is based around equipping Middletown cops.

Is that guy Mike still there?  He's pretty cool to deal with.
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 5:29:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Take your Colt to John Blauvelt in Wallkill. He knows the guns, the law, & is a retired Police Officer that does great work. I have used him for a lot of different projects.

E-Mail : [email protected]
Phone/FAX : (845) 895-2945
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 10:25:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 3:18:05 AM EDT
[#9]
CombatMP, why would you want to mill out the sear block? It tends to lower the value of the Colt and I imagine you don't have a RDIAS to use with it.  Just curious.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 3:46:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Could have guessed the first one is Collector's just from the description.  Although it may or may not be illegal to take out the sear block I'm sure he was feeding you a line simply because he didn't want to get involved for liability reasons.  Just my .02

Brett
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 3:56:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:36:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
CombatMP, why would you want to mill out the sear block? It tends to lower the value of the Colt and I imagine you don't have a RDIAS to use with it.  Just curious.

I want to remove the sear block because I want to use a standard AR15 BCG. I don't want to be limited by the semi circle BCG. I also in the future might want to drop in a aftermarket trigger. Im not concerned about the resale value of the gun, Its been shot a bunch so its not worth the same. Its worth more to ME how I want it.

I actually found a gunsmith from the board who said he do it, I talked to him first so I'll be sending it out to him.
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 9:13:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I want to remove the sear block because I want to use a standard AR15 BCG. I don't want to be limited by the semi circle BCG.

Splain please?
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 9:34:41 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Although it may or may not be illegal to take out the sear block I'm sure he was feeding you a line simply because he didn't want to get involved for liability reasons.

The Colt sear block, large pin uppers and non-standard fire control parts etc. was something that Colt thought would placate the anti-gunners.  It was never nor is it unlawful now to remove the sear block in a Colt lower.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:26:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I like supporting small guys like Loundsberry but IMO, the guns section of their store is based around equipping Middletown cops.

Is that guy Mike still there?  He's pretty cool to deal with.

As far as I know Mike (stocky build, black spiked hari) left several years ago. I used to work there as well throughout highschool and into college.  
Havent been there in years though, i usually hit thruway sportingoods now days.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 9:42:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want to remove the sear block because I want to use a standard AR15 BCG. I don't want to be limited by the semi circle BCG.

Splain please?

the sear block is pinned into the lower receiver an a tab sticks up above the top of the lower. So you can't use a standard m16/ar15 BCG, it has to be the semi circle BCG in order to clear that tab. Every manf. makes m16 BCGs and I'd rather have parts that aren't a PITA to get.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 12:55:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Gotcha... I was thinking no shelf, not the extra stupid stick up in the air one. Dremel the stupid thing flush.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 1:07:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 1:18:21 PM EDT
[#19]
The gunshop worker told me it was a felony to use pre-ban magazines in a post ban weapon
I can't count the number of times I've heard this stupid shit.  There's nothing more annoying.

A standard response is "No it's not a felony and there no such restriction.  The restriction is on the possession of post-ban 'high capacity ammunition feeding devices' regardless of how they are used and it is separate from the restrictions on semi-automatic assault weapons".  

They will most likely ignore you and still maintain their ignorance.  Which would be fine IF THEIR BUSINESS WAS NOT SELLING FIREARMS IN NY and they were not preaching a law they do not understand in an asshole attitude!

Next time I will ask if it's illegal to own pre-ban AR-15 magazines and own a post-ban AR-15 and a pre-ban AR-15 at the same time?  Is it a felony to put the magazines near to the post-ban AR-15?  Is it legal to put a post-ban magazine in a pre-ban AR-15? Then ask is it legal to put pre-ban magazines in post-ban AR-15s even if they aren't loaded? Basically keep asking questions to flush out more and more gun store bullshit!

he was told by a pro 2nd state police officer
God help us all then
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top