Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/18/2008 2:42:11 PM EDT
I just got my full carry permit.  XD45c and a proper belt/holster are on the way.  I've shot guns before, so I am not looking for super remedial training, but I wouldn't be against the NRA basic pistol course just so I can say I've had formal basic training.

However, I would be interested in some sort of intermediate pistol course and the NRA personal defense outside the home classes.  I feel like I have the gear, I just need the training, and I internet searches are coming up blank.

I'm from the hudson valley area, so ideally I would like something close, but I don't mind driving a few hours for a single session class.  

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 3:58:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Hey there,  Where in the Hudson Valley are you located?  The reason I ask is cause MasterClass in monroe has a combat league every wednesday.  Its not a training course but it is some good trigger time.  

-Mike
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 4:24:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm in the Fishkill area.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 4:29:27 PM EDT
[#3]
It would be a bit of a hike for you.  Shit, if you ever have a free wednesday it would be worth checking out.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 4:31:51 PM EDT
[#4]
what time wednesday?  i work in Somers, which is already almost an hour south of Fishkill =(
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 4:52:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I think it starts around 4:30 and goes till about 7:30.  I normally get there around 6:30 by the time I get out of work.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 7:06:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Come out to DCPA on Tuesday night 1800 We shoot IDPA type scenarios.  Our league actually predates IDPA
DCPA is near the Dutchess county airport, on St. Nichols Rd. in Wappinger falls  It is one of the best training opportunities around.  There are several Firearm instructors, both NRA and law enforcement /security  that shoot, so if you wanted formal training it is possible to schedule it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 12:58:47 AM EDT
[#7]
For training check this out

http://www.safeinrochester.com/firearms.html

Dave's out of Rochester but he's been doing classes in Owego and Johnson City which is still a ride but not to far.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 1:40:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Dave's out of Rochester but he's been doing classes in Owego and Johnson City which is still a ride but not to far.

One of my buddies did the training in Johnson City and he really enjoyed it.  Said it was worth the cost.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:46:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of my buddies did the training in Johnson City and he really enjoyed it.  Said it was worth the cost.

I just did the class this past weekend.  It was well worth it in my opinion.

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 4:37:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Also check out our own Chris Fry:

http://mdtstraining.com/

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:21:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm in the Fishkill area.

Chris Fry is relatively local (ok I lied, he's three hours away!), and a very thorough trainer (I have trained with him).

What are your immediate and medium term goals?

-ml

Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:13:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I want to become a better defensive shooter, be mentally prepared to pull a gun under duress, and learn the finer points of when you can and can't use deadly force in public and at home in NY.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top