Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2007 4:33:04 AM EDT
A while ago I asked a question here about buying an AR15. I received multiple responses saying that theres no such thing as a NY legal AR15. Then I keep seeing all these posts from NY members that have AR15's which is really confusing the hell out of me.

So I sent off an email to Bushmaster customer service and asked if they have any AR15 type rifles that are legal in Queens NYC. The reply I received was... "You can have any rifle with the “p” in front of the part number. If you go to your local dealer and see which models they have in stock."

So I went to the Bushmaster website and found one model with a "P" in front of the part number. From the description it has no evil features except for the pistol grip and it's allowed one evil feature correct?

So I can have this model right... http://www.bushmaster.com/catalog_xm15_PCWA3X_14M4IZ.asp
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 4:59:30 AM EDT
[#1]
The Pistol Grip IS the evil feature.

No FH, tele-stock or bayo lug on a post ban.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:18:12 AM EDT
[#2]
you are in queens? I think that might be a problem as you have to deal with even more restrictive laws than the state AWB. I'll let Phil or someone else from the area chime in on that one since I don't live there and don't really know the laws.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:32:46 AM EDT
[#3]
If you are in one of the 5 boroughs of NYC, you can't own an AR-15.  NYC has it's own laws separate from the rest of the state.

The definition of assault weapon includes semiautomatic center fire or rimfire rifle or semiautomatic shotgun, which has one or more of the following features:
• folding or telescoping stock or no stock;
• pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
• bayonet mount;
• flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor;
• barrel shroud;
• grenade launcher.

Source: NRA-ILA gun laws.

So that post-ban AR you showed, while legal in NY State is not legal in NY City.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 5:55:56 AM EDT
[#4]
The NYPD Police Commissioner has the authority to ban any SA rifle or shotgun he chooses to.  AFAIK there are no legal AR15 type rifles that are legal to possess in NYC.

NYC Gun Law FAQ
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 7:49:11 AM EDT
[#5]
someone wants an AR-15 within NYC limits?

blahhahaahaha   oh man, now I heard it all

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 10:04:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Thank you guys for giving a simple and clear answer to my question. I guess it was the fact that NYC laws differ from NY State laws that was confusing me. Damn, and I got so excited when I read that damn email, now I feel like Xmas was just canceled hat
2. WTF, is it just the power hungry officials in NYC that are making the gun laws more restrictive than the state suggests or are other places suffering from this bullshit also?

3. Is there a chance that this law will ever change? Are there certain NYC politicians we need to get in office ?

Link Posted: 10/10/2007 12:16:48 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thank you guys for giving a simple and clear answer to my question. I guess it was the fact that NYC laws differ from NY State laws that was confusing me. Damn, and I got so excited when I read that damn email, now I feel like Xmas was just canceled .

Just a few more question if you don't mind...

1.That law includes Pre-Ban AR 15's also right? The law includes all AR-15's/AK-47's/FAL's/etc...

2. WTF, is it just the power hungry officials in NYC that are making the gun laws more restrictive than the state suggests or are other places suffering from this bullshit also? Rochester, NY also has it's own 'Assault Weapons Ban.'  I think a lot of blame for the current legislation in NYC falls on Rudy Giuliani's shoulders.  But it doesn't matter if he didn't pass it, as Bloomburg would have.

3. Is there a chance that this law will ever change? Are there certain NYC politicians we need to get in office ? There's a better chance of pigs flying, sadly.
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 12:35:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Just to be clear, you may "own" an ar-15 type rifle.  You just can't bring it into the 5 boroughs.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2007 2:27:11 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I think a lot of blame for the current legislation in NYC falls on Rudy Giuliani's shoulders.  But it doesn't matter if he didn't pass it, as Bloomburg would have.

It was Dinkins not Giuliani who pushed for and signed the assault weapons ban in NYC.

Assault-Weapon Ban Passes

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: July 31, 1991

The City Council passed a bill, 28 to 4, yesterday banning assault weapons in New York City. Mayor David N. Dinkins said he would sign the bill as soon as possible. Owners of registered guns had fought the proposal. It defines an assault weapon as a semiautomatic or automatic firearm with such military-type features as a folding stock, bayonet mount, grenade launcher, flash suppressor or modifications of them. A shotgun with a revolving cylinder magazine also falls under that category. Owners have 90 days to get rid of the weapons once the bill is signed. Violators could be fined up to $5,000.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top