Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2007 7:57:40 AM EDT
Hello, I am a Virginian but have property in upstate NY.  I would like to buy a semi-automatic .223 for use in NY but am having a hard time deciphering the "Assault Rifle" definitions in the NY gun laws.  I am interested in the Bushmaster Varminter, it does not seem to violate the "semi-automatic, detachable magazine with no more than two of the following" section of NY law, as it has a pistol grip but no bayonet mount, flash supressor, grenade launcher, etc, but the law goes on to mention specific brand/model bans on "Colt AR15" and functioning receivers, duplicates or copies, blah blah blah.  Can someone please set me straight?  I'll go pre-ban if necessary but this seems like a pricey route unless I switch to an AK-47 or AR10 (which may also be an AR15 under NY law?)

If this rifle IS banned, and if anyone could offer alternatives or options, I would greatly appreciate it.  My goals are semi-auto, affordable ammo, and something with light enough recoil for my wife to handle (she can handle a 12 gauge ok).  Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 8:55:17 AM EDT
[#1]
ARs are fine as long as the muzzle device is a permanently attached break (not flash hider), it does not have a folding stock, and there is no bayonet lug.

Mags greater than 10 rds need to be pre-ban as well.

Link Posted: 2/25/2007 9:13:18 AM EDT
[#2]
The Bushmaster Varminter is legal in NY and with the supplied 5 round mag is legal for hunting as well. Unless you have or purchase preban mags (manufactured prior to (09-14-1994) you would be limited to 10 round mags for other then hunting uses.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 2:35:47 PM EDT
[#3]
That is great news, thank you for your replies.  I take it that AR15 style rifles are available for sale in NY gun shops?  

I am trying to abide to the letter of the law, if not spirit (as I believe the spirit is misdirected), and since I will need to transport this weapon from VA, I feel it is EXTREMELY important for me to know the law in all states of my route.  

Boy, if the intention of NY gun laws is to intimidate law-abiding citizens, they have succeeded admirably.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 3:09:17 PM EDT
[#4]
The New York State Law is essentially a copy of the old Federal ban. if you were familiar with that law, you will be fine.  The only other thing to be aware of is certain cities like NYC, Albany, Rochester and Buffalo have their own AW laws.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 5:01:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks, I will check out Albany's laws, I have friends there and sometimes stop in on the way.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 5:50:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Keep in mind that only the City of Albany has some funky AWB and not all of Albany County.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:15:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I am trying to abide to the letter of the law, if not spirit (as I believe the spirit is misdirected), and since I will need to transport this weapon from VA, I feel it is EXTREMELY important for me to know the law in all states of my route.

I think you need to get in contact with the ATF about your move,I think you get a letter from ATF for the move,if i am wrong some one wIll say,please do it right i would hate for you to spend time in a nj jail,NJ IS ONE OF THE FEW STATES THAT LIKE TO PUT OUT OF STATE PEOPLE IN JAIL,THEN YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENS IN JAIL  
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:55:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Keep in mind that only the City of Albany has some funky AWB and not all of Albany County.

fine as long as your traveling through the city

Albany is a clusterfuck of everything.  Never seen any AWB related crimes/cases in Albany, or on the news.

Some people say just AK reciever made guns are illegal in Albany, others say anything thats like a AW.

Albany gun show sucked....
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 9:46:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Anyone care to elaborate on travel through NJ?  Just got done reading the NRA-ILA page on New Jersey, holy hell, you NJ guys have it rough.  As usual, the laws are nice and ambiguous.
"POSSESSION" Paragraph 2 implies I can carry it in a locked container from residence to residence when moving (which could easily exclude "visiting").
"RESTRICTED FIREARMS" is crafted with similar precision, never defining what an "assault rifle" means.  I guess since the Varminter isn't called the "Bushmaster Assault Rifle" (which is the only Bushmaster "model" on their list) all is well?!?!  Hey, at least they are honest and say they are banning on appearance.
Wow.
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 4:16:46 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Anyone care to elaborate on travel through NJ?  Just got done reading the NRA-ILA page on New Jersey, holy hell, you NJ guys have it rough.  As usual, the laws are nice and ambiguous.
"POSSESSION" Paragraph 2 implies I can carry it in a locked container from residence to residence when moving (which could easily exclude "visiting").
"RESTRICTED FIREARMS" is crafted with similar precision, never defining what an "assault rifle" means.  I guess since the Varminter isn't called the "Bushmaster Assault Rifle" (which is the only Bushmaster "model" on their list) all is well?!?!  Hey, at least they are honest and say they are banning on appearance.
Wow.

That is the key.  You are covered by Federal Law as long as the firearm is legal from where you came and to where you go.
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 4:50:37 AM EDT
[#11]
I would print this out and keep it in the car.

Transporting a firearm through the State of New Jersey

Link Posted: 2/28/2007 4:59:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Wow.  Looks like the NJSP is updating their website and giving out more information.  I noticed that they took off their claim that the ammo must be separate from the firearm.  There was no law to that fact.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top