Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/13/2007 11:08:22 AM EDT
I just called T&T to ask them about transfers and they told me that it was 50 bucks to transfer regular guns, but if it was a preban or expensive gun they would charge me 10%. What a Fuc**** rip off! Are there any other gun stores around the Stony Brook area that have reasonable transfer policies?

Link Posted: 2/13/2007 11:31:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I dont know about the stonybrook area but you can try Brian at Guns&Ammo on sunrise highway in Bohemia.
Link Posted: 2/13/2007 12:08:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Right near you, he's great to deal with and reasonable............

B.B.C. STAMP & COIN INC.
CARL H. FAUST
BOX 2141
SETAUKET, NY 11733-0715, USA
Phone: 631-751-5662
Link Posted: 2/13/2007 12:25:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I haven't been to NY in a bit, but LRB period.

no question

coliseum - treated me like shit when I was a newb, they charge an extra fee if you transfer a rifle they have - don't like competition?  see ya!

li outdoorsmen  - outright theft: charged me tax on the VALUE OF THE GUN BEING TRANSFERED for half a year before I found out what they were really doing.  They did not call this a fee or a surcharge, but SALES TAX.  not to mention the fact that they only accept from other FFL's and returned two guns I got cause they came in two or three halves instead of complete (AR and PC9).  ARE YOU KIDDING ME?  On every issue I made her call the local ATF and the guy wouldn't back me up (you SHOULD send from an FFL not from an individual, you SHOULD send gun complete.  do I have to?  well 'you should'.  His superior disagreed and apologized) she stood her ground andI left that shithole and never turned back.  Though she is one hot piece of ass.  I'll give you that.

TandT - outrageous transfer pricing and I simply won't EVER shop at a store that sells SKS "sniper rifles" for the prices they do.

LRB, however, are two of the nicest gun people you'll ever meet.  After a few transfers there, I got my first lower to build - bought it from them - and mentioned that it was my first.  The door was shut and locked and for the next half hour, they built it with me at the shop.  I will NEVER forget that.  Plus they have a great name in the M14 world and after a looooong development period are soon gonna be at the forefront of that world. They make a great AR lower with JV (I think? is it JV seymour?).  I had two LRB lowers, both were perfect and in spec and function adn loook was 100%.  

I will one day have a WHOLE LRB collection of M14's and garands and the like.  They're great guys to shoot the shit with, good email comms, and they could raise their price again (I hear they did to reduce transfer traffic to make time for the M14's, is that true?) and I'd still transfer through them.

I'm sure there are other's but I'm LRB till they kick me out.
Link Posted: 2/13/2007 12:47:14 PM EDT
[#4]
LBR is about 1 hour away
I might have to stop by

1155 for a receiver! A bit much for me.
Link Posted: 2/13/2007 1:21:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
LBR is about 1 hour away
I might have to stop by

1155 for a receiver! A bit much for me.

a) he's talkin' bout the M14 receiver guys!

b) I don't know rear lug from lug nut, but here's the M14 price list for receivers:

M14SA  RECEIVER

DEALER....$819.00

RETAIL......$964.95

M14SA REAR LUG

DEALER...$979.00

RETAIL......$1,154.95

M25 RECEIVER

DEALER.....$929.00

RETAIL.....$1,069.00

M25 REAR LUG

DEALER......$1,089.00

RETAIL......$1,285.95

c) TRY and find a bad word on any M14 forum or gun forum for that matter about the LRB M14, receivers, parts, builds, etc.  good luck

and the AR's are reasonably priced.

STRIPPED RECEIVER..................$109.95

STRIPPED RECEIVER AND LOWER PARTS KIT..........................................$179.95

STRIPPED RECEIVER, LOWER PARTS KIT AND A2 BUTT STOCK.................$259.95

Add $5.00 for assembly.
Link Posted: 2/13/2007 3:41:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I defiantly agree on coliseum.  I went their with my friend to buy his first rifle Marlin 332 .35 and they got a nasty attitude because he asked a lot of questions.  Everything they sell is about $60 overpriced too.
Their is a little store in Albertson called Hunters Essentials I like.  I found them looking through the FFL list on gunbroker.com.  They have the lowest transfer rate going for the area (I think it was $25).  I've had a couple dealings with them and they've been nothing but positive.  Their is one employee, the owner and he is very nice and willing to help.  I bought a couple of guns there and he says the distributer offers a lifetime warrenty (on what I bought at least), should it ever break bring it back to him and he would have it taken care of.
The only downside is it is a very small store.  If you want to go out and hold/inspect some guns he probably only has 40 if that in stock.  However if you know exactly what you want he can have it in a couple days and get it cheaper then any other place I've seen around here.
Link Posted: 2/13/2007 4:11:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm definitely gonna try albertsons.... Lou (lrb) just told me they don't handle pistols and I have to bring three pistols into NY when I move and they have to go via FFL......

Gunshops are fun in terms of browsing and what not, but I'm more into the quick cheap transfers.  I had a bad experience in VA:

One of the best gunstores in the solar system is Virginia Arms and they are a full out EBR playground.  Everytime I did a transfer there I'd pick up something or other.  Tabulating my receipts from two years in VA, I spent something like 600 dollars on 20$ transfers and 3-4K$ in 'oh I'll just get this and that on my way out'.  It's a common syndrome at virginia arms.  every employee could be the greatest gun store employee you ever met, the owner is top notch and they used to be all arfkommers before the Virginia Inquisition ...  this store is not only the finest gun store in the world, it's probably the best run and managed retail store in the country.  Ammo and accesory prices were low enough to make you forget you were in a gun store.  Plus nearly all the employees (Surf In Peace) were certified armorers for almost everything they carried.  

point is, I need a cheap transfer dealer who's brusque, aways too busy for me,  and has NO accessories, NO ammo, NOTHING but the transfer.

and yeah coliseum are a bunch of jerks.  Looking for my first rifle (ever) , I asked about an AR15 and the look I was shot by two of the (clearly wood rifle guys) proprietors almost turned me off from guns entirely.... I was ready to spit on them on my way out.  Completely ignoring me when I needed help, answered my questions in the most snide way they could. etc etc etc.  And their transfer policy is an absolute joke.

so can you send me the info on this albertson guy?

ETA: LRB will always still be my FFL, I just need to find one to bring my 1911's in this one time and maybe if LRB gets too much M14 business to do transfers, it'll be good to have a back up.
Link Posted: 2/13/2007 6:23:12 PM EDT
[#8]
The man in Albertson is Bruce.  He's great to deal with and very prompt to call you when your weapon arrives.  Hunters Essential on Willis Ave. 516-741-5243.  I think the last trasfer I did was $30 or $35.
Link Posted: 2/13/2007 7:29:48 PM EDT
[#9]
height=8
Quoted:
The man in Albertson is Bruce.  He's great to deal with and very prompt to call you when your weapon arrives.  Hunters Essential on Willis Ave. 516-741-5243.  I think the last trasfer I did was $30 or $35.

I just checked the list on gunbroker.com http://gunbroker.com/User/DealerNetwork.asp and it is $35.  I don't know why I thought it was less, sorry to get your hopes up.  The gas getting out here is going to run you right up to the $50 range again though unless you're already coming out here for something.  Check that link to see if someone closer has a better price.  If they don't and you just have a moral objection to doing business with price gougers then give Hunters Essentials a shot.  
Before you go there though call to make sure he's going to be in.  He's offered to meet me there during non business hours before so he may be willing to work something out with you if need be.  Also bring his number with you in case you have trouble finding the place, it's on the side of a building and last time I was there he didn't have a sign in front of the building.
Link Posted: 2/13/2007 10:41:22 PM EDT
[#10]
I've bought a lower receiver from LRB, a very nice guy helped me. They seem like good people.

T&T has been a rip off, at every turn. Stanley at the Nassau store is a very nice guy.

Coliseum has been square with me. $45 transfers on used rifles (pre-ban) and no other fees. I have a copy of their FFL that I can send out when ordering.
Link Posted: 2/13/2007 11:26:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I've done a couple transfers at T&T in Garden City Park, and have only paid $35.  And as was said above, Stan is a helpful guy to deal with.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2007 11:31:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/14/2007 2:49:17 AM EDT
[#13]
just a disclaimer - my shooting buddies are all 'in' with stan and his basement in the old store used to be our twice a month club meet range.  So I get teh reduced transfer pricing (very reduced) and good attitude from him.  My ojection is his gun show (do you have those here in NY?) methodology of dollling up an SKS for 40$ and charging 600$ for a sniper rifle (my owneyes - early '04).  I did used to get wolf for 110$ a case from him in 04 though, which was only about 20$ more than the net price shipped.

I only mention this cause Lou recommended Stan to me last night for handgun transfers, and as I told Lou, I'm not a huge fan, but on his recommendation, I'll try him again.
Link Posted: 2/14/2007 9:19:27 AM EDT
[#14]
I really like Classic Firearms in Mineola.  I don't remember the guys name there, but he really knows his stuff, and this was my first AR and he took the time to explain everything to me.  Even helped me remove and install stocks a few weeks after I bough it, for free (and I didn't buy the new stock there), threw in some extras, and will always take the time to answer any of my questions.  His transfer fee is $30 for rifles, I don't know if he charges different for lowers.

I've gone to TNT in Garden City Park, and T&T in Seaford and Coliseum.  T&T in Seaford was the best out of those 3, Hank's a nice guy.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2007 9:45:43 AM EDT
[#15]
This is obviously a "to each his own" thread.

I am loyal to Hank and Marty at T and T in Seaford.  Good info from guys that shoot regularly.  I buy most of my ammo elsewhere, usually at shows or on the web, but have only bought two of 11 total from store purchases elsewhere, and can not complain about their prices for those 9.  They are admittedly steep with a handgun transfer, but reasonable regarding long guns.

I am glad no one mentioned that horrible place on Route 110 in Melville.  (I will not dignify them by naming them.)  Its the place wherein if you go inside and you are not an incestuous cousin of the clan behind the counter, they look at you as though you spit in their hair, that is, if and only if, they acknowledge you at all when you walk in.  How they stay in business is beyond me.
Link Posted: 2/14/2007 10:46:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I am loyal to Hank and Marty at T and T in Seaford.  Good info from guys that shoot regularly.  I buy most of my ammo elsewhere, usually at shows or on the web, but have only bought two of 11 total from store purchases elsewhere, and can not complain about their prices for those 9.  They are admittedly steep with a handgun transfer, but reasonable regarding long guns.

50 bucks for long guns & 10% on any preban guns is "reasonable."
I was thinking of transfering a $3000 preban gun and would have to pay $300 for the transfer - yah thats reasonable!
Link Posted: 2/14/2007 10:57:12 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Quoted:

50 bucks for long guns & 10% on any preban guns is "reasonable."
I was thinking of transfering a $3000 preban gun and would have to pay $300 for the transfer - yah thats reasonable!

I didn't want to star this, but I agree.  

His prices are NOT reasonable.  

He does so cause he knows he can con newbs into paying that much cause they'll think that since handguns and AWB's are so heavily regulated in NY, that he (the newb) SHOULD be paying more for them to be transfered.

Stan charges more cause he can, and we live in a free economy so he can do that.  Can and should are not the same thing.  

And PLEASE someone say 'dealers can't eat on 20$ transfers'.  PLEASE!  

Bloodsucking misery-profiteers can't live on 20$ transfers.  
I know many dealers that can and do though.

ETA: who determines the value of the pre-ban gun being transfered?  What if its a trade? does he charge 10% then?  (When I realized what LI outdoorsman was up to  - adding 'sales tax on the value of the gun' to my transfers - I realized she was gettign her numbers from asking me how much I paid for it.  That's when I realized the whole thing was bullshit. And anyone who says you have to pay sales tax on the value of a gun being transfered is lying - the service gets taxed, the service is what was sold.  I have confirmed this.)  She made good money on me with that scam - a couple hundred bucks.  But damn she was fine.
Link Posted: 2/14/2007 11:43:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Another fan of T&T in Seaford. Bought two handguns from Hank and he is great to deal with, so good that you may have to hang around awhile cause he's usually quite busy. Doesn't mind if you price shop as long as you give him a shot at matching or beating (from my experience).

"That place" on 110 in Farmingdale is a joke and I'm also surprised that they've been around for so long. Before I got my pistol license I was going around just to get prices on Sig's and HK's. Guy at "that place" was telling me how I can pay for the gun now and pick it up after I get my license. Mind you, I couldn't handle anything to see how it felt/fit. When I told him, "No I'll wait so I can see how they feel and point" he was like, "Yeah, that's not a bad idea".....(no shit!). What if I were denied the license? Something tells me I would have been buying 1000 bucks worth of camping shit.
Link Posted: 2/14/2007 12:12:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Just can't wait to move to Forida
Link Posted: 2/14/2007 1:49:54 PM EDT
[#20]
When did long gun transfers at T and T go to fifty ? !  Pistols were fifty, but long guns were half that last year.
Link Posted: 2/14/2007 2:45:03 PM EDT
[#21]
my farmingdale experience was (remember I was a huuuge newb) looking for an AK stock and grip I decide (made sense at the time) to go try a gun store.  I asked the lady behind the counter there (got a stock and grip for a WASR-10?) and as I described it, she gave me a look like I was standing there buck naked with a swatsika on my chest getting head from a porcupine.  She was baaaaafled, brought someone else to help me, he was dumbfounded too......  I showed them a picture of what I wanted and when they realized it was an EBR, they said, we don't carry that here.  "well what about..." no.  "but do you carry?.... "no". that was that.  On the way out I heard muttering and all I coudl think was 'is there a single decent gun dealer on this fucking island?'  
Link Posted: 2/14/2007 3:21:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Does anyone miss Burns Brothers?I followed them through 4 locations. I know some think Bill jr was gruff with customers, but I think it was a case of "you cant beleive the stupid things customers say".

Other than that they had a good selection of old and new, plus ammo. Plus larry and the younger bros were very friendly, Bill was a great guy once you got to know him.
Too bad the atf failed to renew lic over I am sure minor issues.
Link Posted: 2/14/2007 3:42:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Wow this is adding fuel to my fire to open up a store on the south shore of nassau.  I could just do transfers and not keep that much stock.
Link Posted: 2/14/2007 4:03:09 PM EDT
[#24]
height=8
Quoted:
Wow this is adding fuel to my fire to open up a store on the south shore of nassau.  I could just do transfers and not keep that much stock.

I'd suggest western Suffolk....there's NOTHING on the south shore east of Hunters.
Link Posted: 2/14/2007 4:35:30 PM EDT
[#25]
There is a very good FFL is Westhampton Beach.
Link Posted: 2/14/2007 5:51:24 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

<ffl voice> you'll never make a living, heck even a profit with 20$ transfers <ffl voice>
<ffl voice>you think you can make money doing jsut cheap quick transfers, ha! <ffl voice>

don't listen to them.
Link Posted: 2/14/2007 7:52:38 PM EDT
[#27]
wow.....this whole thread just bums me out.   Sometimes I consider opening up my own gun shop......and times like this Im glad I dont have one.  It really is Hard to keep everyone happy.....I work my ass off just like everyone else.....but to see people this pissed just sadens me.   I know Im the enemy cause I work at a gunshop........but I would like someone to explain something to me.......Why should a gunstore like doing transfers?  Arent you taking food out of the owners mouth?  What I mean by this is If a person opens up a gunshop to sell guns and works off of a certain percantage and has to pay people, why should he do a transfer and make no money when people are trying to save a few dollars.....what ever happened to supporting your local gunstore?

To all my friends and customers.....Thank you, I apreciate the business and everything you guys do for me.

To all the people I some how managed to piss off somehow.........all I can offer you is my apology

Link Posted: 2/14/2007 9:58:33 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Arent you taking food out of the owners mouth?  

Hell no. I've had this argument with a store owner before. They lost me as a customer when they raised their transfer price and I told them so. They'd made a 2-3 hundred bucks off me in the last 3-4 years alone doing $35 transfers in and out. While in the last 20 years I'd bought a total of 2 guns from the store. So they made what, 10-20% of a $250 & $350 gun?

Now they want $50.  $50 to... open a box? Do an entry and disposition? Maybe 5 minutes work? Sorry.
I was a good customer, and I didn't buy run of the mill guns. It wasn't like I was cutting into their action with my oddball stuff. You can't cut them out of what they don't sell and can't get.

They were making out much better from the transfers, not to mention odds and ends I'd pick up while I was there. Now I don't go at all and they're making zero off me.

Link Posted: 2/15/2007 3:51:52 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Now they want $50.  $50 to... open a box? Do an entry and disposition? Maybe 5 minutes work? Sorry.

Cas, how does a tablet of aspirin cost you in a hospital?  It's a lot more than the cost of going down to Walmart and buying a bottle of aspirin.  It doesn't cost $50 for them to open the box. It costs rent, insurance, utilities, license fees, employee salaries, etc.

The only people that are willing to do the $25 transfer are the part timers and hobbyists (the dreaded kitchen table FFL).  If that's what you want, seek it out, but don't expect a full service store to provide rock bottom transfer service.
Link Posted: 2/15/2007 4:48:20 AM EDT
[#30]
I can see a $15 to $35 fee for a transfer where the dealer has no overhead.  For a dealer with a store front, the transfer fees will go up in proportion to walk-in customers who buy from their stock.  The time and risk involved with transfers is greater than direct sales. (emails, faxes, firearm legality issues, shoddy or over packaging issues, etc...)  If the business is thriving on these direct sales and not hungry for the buck, the transfer fees will go up.  The need to do them will also diminish.  

Direct sale markup on firearms is small, 5% to 10%, but that still is up to $50 on a $500 firearm.  Should the fee be based on the retail price?  If that were to occur, the customer would bitch that his firearm is worth less than the fee charged.  Some dealers establish their fees this way.  The "set fee" dealer must average all the factors in to come to a suitable fee for him.  I charge the same $20 fee for a stripped lower as I do for a 1919A4.  A lot more time and attention is needed to unpack, handle and store the bulky and heavy rifles.
Link Posted: 2/15/2007 5:58:31 AM EDT
[#31]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
Arent you taking food out of the owners mouth?  

I was a good customer, and I didn't buy run of the mill guns. It wasn't like I was cutting into their action with my oddball stuff. You can't cut them out of what they don't sell and can't get.

The main problem I have with transfers isnt oddball stuff......hey thats cool, If I cant get it....all the more power to you gettting it transfered in. But what about the standard remington 700, Glock, HK pistol or even bushmaster that we stock?  I can understand when someone gets a bushmaster transfered in and they are getting it for wholesale.....but why should I do a transfer for the person that is orering a bushmaster out of state just to save tax?

one last thing.....and this isnt being said with any anger.....its said in a calm curiose tone.......The same person that does transfers.....buys there ammo online and orders the extras online as well......this has been my observation.

sorry about running on.......Im not trying to dwell onthis topic......just trying to give everyone the chance to see the other side of the coin.

speak to you guys later  
Link Posted: 2/15/2007 7:31:29 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

a decent and honest person makes money as a dealer by fostering repeat and dependable customers through... gasp...horror..... GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE and not by ripping off newbs.  Or worse, in the case of long island, ripping off your own repeat customers.

Everyone knows what wholesale and retail prices are on a given item, they KNOW when you're ripping them off, AND BY HOW MUCH.

If you have foster a relationship with your customers, they'll WANT to spend the extra 2-3% to get a new gun from you rather than procuring it themselves and then transferring it.  I know, I've seen it done and do it myself.

When a guy walks into a gun store, the proprietor should think 'how can i make this guy want to come back again and again' not 'how much can i squeeze outta him'.

Places like LRB and Virginia Arms, peaple WANT to go back to.  And after a while, it doesn't matter what the prices are, you'll just keep going back for the excellent people, service,e tc.

you LOSE customers by having them come in ONCE for a 50$ transfer and seeing 600$ SKS's on the wall along with signs that say in essence 'IF I CANT OVERCHARGE YOU N A NEW PURCHASE, I'LL RUN UP YOUR TRANSFERS INSTEAD'.....

This is SUCH a simple concept.  

Customer service is important not prices on new guns and not transfer prices.

Customer service = repeat customers = dependable income

50$ transfers and shady additions to transfer prices + shitty attitude = quick money the first few times from newbs, but once he gets involved with the EBR community he'll see you're a jackass and never come back.
Link Posted: 2/15/2007 7:36:09 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
The only people that are willing to do the $25 transfer are the part timers and hobbyists (the dreaded kitchen table FFL).  If that's what you want, seek it out, but don't expect a full service store to provide rock bottom transfer service.

dead wrong.  dead wrong. dead freaking wrong.  this is the GREATEST ffl myth. I can name you multiple 20$ transfers stores in VA that made more non-transfer money off the guys who were coming in for 20$ transfers cause they had great employees owners.  After a while, you start buying guns from them for the service, pre- and post- purchase and cause for the extra 1-2% you WANT to help them out.

it's the kitchen table guys who can't do the 20$ transfers without the volume of a regular groups of guys who will only use him and come back often.

If you own a gun store and can't make money with 20$ transfers, it is YOu and not the transfer price that needs altering.
Link Posted: 2/15/2007 7:44:38 AM EDT
[#34]
and in the end, this is exactly what happens:

They were making out much better from the transfers, not to mention odds and ends I'd pick up while I was there. Now I don't go at all and they're making zero off me.  

There are other transfer dealers out there that this guy can go to.  HE has options even if they are same or higher priced.  but THAT dealer just lost a customer.  He will NEVER be back.  this is simple economics.  

A guy who comes back for 5 10 or 15 20$ transfers a year, gives you more than one guy who leaves after a single 50$ transfer.  period.  And the guy will look to buy more guns to transfer in if he knows transfers are 20$.  with a 50$ transfer he might just look for FTF deals.  and this is ignoring the fact that someone paying 20$ on a transfer fee is more likely to buy odds and ends that will move inventory in your store, rather than you getting 50$ on a transfer and not moving any product (which is actually bad for a retail establishment).

If LI arfkommers ARE indeed seriously pissed about hte FFL situation, a suffolk guy could do ok opening up a kitchen table FFL - IF HE GETS GUARANTEES FROM A LARGE ENOUGH SAMPLE OF GUYS THAT THEY WILL ONLY USE HIM FOR TRANSFERS.  (It's the kitchen table FFL that can't make it on cheap transfers alone, cause in areas that one kitchen table dealer can operate in, others usually do as well - but if we guarantee that he is OUR EXCLUSIVE transfer dealer, it's another story)

I don't think nassau would be the ideal location for this, so that's why I say suffolk.
Link Posted: 2/15/2007 7:47:09 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

one last thing.....and this isnt being said with any anger.....its said in a calm curiose tone.......The same person that does transfers.....buys there ammo online and orders the extras online as well......this has been my observation.

another urban gunstore legend.  open up a quality establishment, charge reasonable prices and you can print your own money.  Virginia arms prices on ammo is more often than not less than Natchez and usually beats EE prices as well.  Their accesories match EE prices too and they'll install them or help you out if you even think about asking.

this store is not a MASSIVE store, just a good store.  And there are three more like it in NoVA  alone...

Go ask about pricing on the VA hometown forum, I'm not lying or exxagerating.  They OWN anyone who walks through their doors.  they come back again and again and again.
Link Posted: 2/15/2007 7:48:50 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

dead wrong.  dead wrong. dead freaking wrong.  this is the GREATEST ffl myth. I can name you multiple 20$ transfers stores in VA that made more non-transfer money off the guys who were coming in for 20$ transfers cause they had great employees owners.  After a while, you start buying guns from them for the service, pre- and post- purchase and cause for the extra 1-2% you WANT to help them out.

it's the kitchen table guys who can't do the 20$ transfers without the volume of a regular groups of guys who will only use him and come back often.

If you own a gun store and can't make money with 20$ transfers, it is YOu and not the transfer price that needs altering.

If $20 transfers are such a sure thing what is stopping you?

I'll help you get your FFL.

Riches beyond your dream, $20 at a time, are just waiting for you.

If you want to talk "myth" the biggest one is that you can keep a business running on $20 per item sales on a product that people don't NEED and with a very limited customer base.

The mythical "gun volume" just does not exist.

Most people who consider themselves "gun nuts" on average buy 2 or 3 guns per year.

A FFL charges what he charges based upon what it takes to be profitable.

If he charges too much, he will soon find himself out of business, if he charges too little, he will soon find himself out of business.
Link Posted: 2/15/2007 8:01:09 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If $20 transfers are such a sure thing what is stopping you?

I'll help you get your FFL.

Riches beyond your dream, $20 at a time, are just waiting for you.

If you want to talk "myth" the biggest one is that you can keep a business running on $20 per item sales on a product that people don't NEED and with a very limited customer base.

The mythical "gun volume" just does not exist.

Most people who consider themselves "gun nuts" on average buy 2 or 3 guns per year.

If he charges too much, he will soon find himself out of business, if he charges too little, he will soon find himself out of business.

Nassau actively zones out kitchen table dealers and I can't go into retail cause I'm jewish..

Virginia Arms takes every argument you've made on this topic and blows them out of the water. They charge less than anyone else for every item or service they offer and the store is always packed and guys buy more than they normally would and go back more than they usually do just to buy there or heck, even jsut to be there!

An illustrative example is when I get a REALLY good deal there on a new gun (benelli tactical sueprnova PG GR sights 400$ new), I send at least three or four non-VA arfkommers to them to get it there (ETA: get it shipped to them, not buy it there illegally!) cause they charge LESS than that persons gunstore on the new gun.  this isn't a case of ordering from a wholesale place and then transferring. this is a GUNSTORE asking less then another GUNSTORE on a RETAIL new gun.... you're telling me VA Arms doesn't make a profit?  of course they do.  it's the OTHER gunstore this guy is passing up that is OVERCHARGING.

ANY good retail establishment will make more money with low prices and good customer service resulting in REPEAT CUSTOMERS than any other way.

eTA: nothing against Steyr I feel for your 'stories of the FFL' !  You're jsut basing your arguments on a different business model than the (successful) one I've seen and talk about.

I think a dedicated kitchen table FFL for a hometown forum crowd would see alot more than 2 or 3 per guy.  I've only been into guns for three years and I average at least 20 incoming transfers a year.

An FFL should take something other than the immediate profit of a single action into account.  A profitable transfer price may indeed be 50$.  But creating a profitable customer is worth many magnitudes more.
Link Posted: 2/15/2007 5:50:48 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

B.B.C. STAMP & COIN INC.
CARL H. FAUST
BOX 2141

Beltfed. I am in Setauket is this the guy across from the Setauket Firehouse on 25A?  I didn't even know he did FFL transfers.  Having a FFL 5 mins from your house could get expensive.

I have used Dean at Main St Magazine in Westhampton Beach several times.  Great guy, $35 transfer and good stories.  It's about an hour drive east from Stony Brook.  Here is his website www.thegunzone.com/msm.html.
Link Posted: 2/15/2007 7:38:49 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Quoted:

B.B.C. STAMP & COIN INC.
CARL H. FAUST
BOX 2141

Beltfed. I am in Setauket is this the guy across from the Setauket Firehouse on 25A?  I didn't even know he did FFL transfers.  Having a FFL 5 mins from your house could get expensive.

Yeah, on the corner of the building....toward the gas station.  Not a nice place, but Carl is a gentleman (a retired, very conservative, Smithtown school teacher). His transfers are reasonable.

Link Posted: 2/15/2007 7:55:57 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
 If that's what you want, seek it out, but don't expect a full service store to provide rock bottom transfer service.

Full service? Like... Brian @ Guns and Ammo stealing from you by charging you sales tax on out of state sales? Or full service like... Chester screaming and cursing at you?  Or Benson's lie'n to you either intentionally, or because they don't want to admit they don't know what they're selling? That kind of full service?  Getting "serviced" is a nice way to put it.

The reason a Tylenol is $27 in a hospital is because at some point, someone was willing to pay it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2007 1:07:44 PM EDT
[#41]
In a previous incarnation of this thread, I saw a posting about an organization in Freeport that does transfers and the money goes to support the group.  Are they still in business and if so what is their price and are they reliable ?
Link Posted: 2/16/2007 3:41:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Since I don't have the scratch to open my own place, I like to go see Ultracarry at his place of business.  He has never been too busy for me and no matter what you say, that place is a quality gun store.
Link Posted: 2/16/2007 7:03:21 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Since I don't have the scratch to open my own place, I like to go see Ultracarry at his place of business.  He has never been too busy for me and no matter what you say, that place is a quality gun store.

Here !  Here !

or is it

Hear !  Hear  !
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 3:34:08 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

where is he located???
Link Posted: 2/17/2007 4:51:25 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

where is he located???

T&T in Seaford.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 4:28:02 AM EDT
[#46]
Well I've decided to give stan another try.  

All my gun guys here use him and pay discounted transfer rates, and so if I get those rates and if he's not a complete ass, I'll be using him for my pistol transfers....
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 11:09:57 AM EDT
[#47]
height=8
Quoted:
Well I've decided to give stan another try.  

All my gun guys here use him and pay discounted transfer rates, and so if I get those rates and if he's not a complete ass, I'll be using him for my pistol transfers....

He is a great guy to deal with!    As long as your not a Ass.....He wont act like one either.
Link Posted: 2/18/2007 11:36:06 AM EDT
[#48]
Why oh why would YOU stick up for Stan, LOL ?

(Guess its high time I showed my face at T & T again in Seaford)
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 12:11:59 PM EDT
[#49]
BEACHPATROL took me to meet ULTRACARRY at T and T in Seaford. He's as straight up as they come, friendly and very knowledgable. NO BS involved, like others stated earlier, shop around...just give him a fair chance to beat the price, he always has for me! And if he doesn't know the answer, he won't make one up, he'll find out and get you the right info...instead of pretending to know it all.
    As far as internet transfers go...IMHO...$35.00 transfer fee +$20.00 shipping to get to LOOK at a gun you never saw before, from someone you never met before? Then if you do send it back tack on more fees. I'd rather pay the tax, get a guarantee from someone I know, support a local business and hang out for a few hours, drink coffee and play with guns...lol. I like to look at and feel what I'm buying...again...JMHO!

Megaforce is the coolest!!!!...lol(inside joke)

Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:17:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Mega Mega Dirka Dirka

out    
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top