Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/30/2006 3:19:19 PM EDT
Hi folks,

I was hoping some of you could give me a liitle better "Clue" about the status of pre-ban mag's in your states?

I don't mean dates of manufacture ( I know those) but do they count the number of COMPONENTS in a given mag' to determine it's status (And legality to import) or is just ONE pre-ban component good enough to satisfy the state(S)?

Put more bluntly, if I sell a mag' body that was made in 1984 BUT that has a new follower, floor-plate and spring in it (3 new parts VS 1 old part) is it STILL considered a legally "Re-built" magazine or am I going to get myself and someone from NY or NJ in trouble?

Thanks for any help clearing this up for me

Treadhead.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:26:48 PM EDT
[#1]
NY's AWB is a copy on the Federal AWB, which I belive considered the mag body the "magazine".
PROOF is what you really need, and unless it's date stamped, there's no easy way to prove when a magazine was made. Floor plates can show proof of being pre-ban, but they're not magazines. If your old mag body has new floor plates, and no date you can't really prove it's preban.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:56:07 PM EDT
[#2]

NJ does not have a "Pre-Ban" stipulation at all.

All mags no more than 15rds
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:01:07 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
NJ does not have a "Pre-Ban" stipulation at all.

All mags no more than 15rds

Well THAT'S good to know (And sad to hear!).

Thanks guys,

"Treadhead"
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 5:45:07 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Put more bluntly, if I sell a mag' body that was made in 1984 BUT that has a new follower, floor-plate and spring in it (3 new parts VS 1 old part) is it STILL considered a legally "Re-built" magazine or am I going to get myself and someone from NY or NJ in trouble?

For NY -

AR mags can be rebuilt. Its no problem. 30rd mags are legal, if "pre-ban".

The definition of pre-ban is the sketchy part, since.. MFRs were supposed to date their mags after the AWB. Well since the sunset, MFRs don't date them anymore.

I can hit the gunshow and buy mags en masse...
they sure look brand new... are they brand new, unmarked, post ban mags?
Probably pretty likely that they are.

Course, I couldn't prove it either way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top