Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2006 6:17:36 AM EDT
www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060407/NEWS02/604070449/1070/NEWS02

Victim was showing pistol to friend

MANCHESTER: Further investigation of an accidental shooting that happened Sunday has found that the victim, Alan Kides, was showing an automatic pistol to a friend near his pickup truck when the gun accidentally went off, township police said.

The vehicle was parked in the street in front of 1209 Birmingham Ave. in the Pine Lake Park section, police said.

Kides, 41, of Blakeslee, Pa., was treated and released from Community Medical Center, Dover Township, for an injury to his left hand. The investigation is centering on whether Kides legally possessed the weapon at the time of the accident, police said.

The gun involved in the shooting was not in the friend's residence at 1209 Birmingham, nor in the friend's possession, police said.

Uh Oh! - Sounds like the PA man had a 'loaded handgun' while standing in the street.

Sounds like he may have transported a 'loaded handgun' from PA to NJ.

Then he accidentally shoots his left hand whilst showing it to his friend.

I smell Big Trouble ahead for him.

I still suspect he was disassembling a Glock (incorrectly).

This re-iterates once again why the Basic Rules of Safety are so important.

In this case, not only did he injure himself, but he is likely to have some unexpected courtroom time, and possibly some unanticipated jail time.

*****    Original Story Below    ********************

www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060404/NEWS02/604040389/1070/NEWS02

Pa. man wounded at friend's house

MANCHESTER: A Blakeslee, Pa. man visiting a friend in the Pine Lake Park development Sunday was accidentally shot in the hand with a semi-automatic handgun, police said.

Allan Kides, 41, was inside a home at 1209 Birmingham Ave. when a handgun belonging to him accidentally discharged, wounding his left hand, police said.

Kides was transported to Community Medical Center, Dover Township, and treated for minor injuries, police said. Patrolman James Komsa is investigating the accident.

Are we missing any PA members?

Sounds like he may have been disassembling a Glock (pull trigger to disassemble) without:
 a) checking to ensure that it is unloaded AND
 b) checking to ensure that it is pointed in a safe direction

I wonder if they'll charge him with anything?

They like to find things with which to charge people here in NJ.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:41:04 AM EDT
[#1]
When taking my Glock apart I check to see if it's unloaded, check to see if it's unloaded, and then check to see if it's unloaded again, THEN point it in a safe direction and continue disassembly.  I figure it's better to be safe than sorry.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:05:58 AM EDT
[#2]
What about the short story makes you think it was related to disassembly of any particular type of gun?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 8:23:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I have seen at least two threads on this website regarding people who have ND'd into their left hand while disassembling a Glock.

Threads with pictures and details.

One was even posted last week I believe (though the incident happened last year and the member had originally brushed it off as a snowmobiling accident).

So, naturally, that is the first thing that came to my mind.

Maybe it is because Glocks are perhaps one of the most widely owned handguns in the US.

I have nothing against the 3 Glocks that I own (G22 with extra G17 upper, G26, G21).

And I plan on getting a G19/23 later on this year.

Anything that we can do to reinforce respect for the Basic Safety Rules, especially for some of our newer members, is a good thing.

Every negative news article reduces the number of potential new shooters who (in liberal NJ) were scared off by a liberal peer group. "What would you want with a GUN!" mentality.

Everything that we can do to foster safe and responsible gun ownership helps the overall cause.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:09:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:42:18 PM EDT
[#5]
haha, I work for Manchester PD and I'm pretty sure the man was shot by his friend in the hand, not by himself.  I thankfully took off that night so I didn't have to take that phone call From what I remember from the press release was the homeowner was showing his friend his new gun and somehow a ND occured.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:20:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
haha, I work for Manchester PD and I'm pretty sure the man was shot by his friend in the hand, not by himself.  I thankfully took off that night so I didn't have to take that phone call From what I remember from the press release was the homeowner was showing his friend his new gun and somehow a ND occured.

Not according to this:

Allan Kides, 41, was inside a home at 1209 Birmingham Ave. when a handgun belonging to him accidentally discharged
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:20:44 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Not according to this:

Allan Kides, 41, was inside a home at 1209 Birmingham Ave. when a handgun belonging to him accidentally discharged
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:07:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not according to this:

That doesn't say anything about who pulled the trigger, it just said the gun belonged to him.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 11:50:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Was only referring to this part:
" From what I remember from the press release was the homeowner was showing his friend his new gun and somehow a ND occured."
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:04:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Was only referring to this part:
" From what I remember from the press release was the homeowner was showing his friend his new gun and somehow a ND occured."

Gotcha
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 12:12:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060404/NEWS02/604040389/1070/NEWS02

Pa. man wounded at friend's house

MANCHESTER: A Blakeslee, Pa. man visiting a friend in the Pine Lake Park development Sunday was accidentally shot in the hand with a semi-automatic handgun, police said.

Allan Kides, 41, was inside a home at 1209 Birmingham Ave. when a handgun belonging to him accidentally discharged, wounding his left hand, police said.

Kides was transported to Community Medical Center, Dover Township, and treated for minor injuries, police said. Patrolman James Komsa is investigating the accident.

Are we missing any PA members?

Sounds like he may have been disassembling a Glock (pull trigger to disassemble) without:
 a) checking to ensure that it is unloaded AND
 b) checking to ensure that it is pointed in a safe direction

I wonder if they'll charge him with anything?

They like to find things with which to charge people here in NJ.

That is my Town

OK I HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS THIS WAS NOT ME.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:11:52 PM EDT
[#12]
what part of town Matt? so now I can know where to tell the guys to stay away from if gunshots are heard in your area
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:20:45 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
what part of town Matt? so now I can know where to tell the guys to stay away from if gunshots are heard in your area

In a van down by the river.  

Hey how come it takes me 4-6 months to get pistol permits from you guys.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:44:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Latest Update on first page
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top