Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/8/2006 5:03:21 PM EDT

NJ-ites,

if i were to fancy a firearm in PA, for example at Cabellas (Hamburg), what steps are required for me to purchase it?

a) rifle?

b) pistol?

thanks
ar-jedi

ps:
obviously you should assume a valid NJ DL, a NJ FID, and that NICS would clear.

pps:
yes i know the stuff under the glass at Cabellas is perhaps over-priced.  stick to the topic.  

Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:35:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Long guns you need a DL and will get a background check.thats it.Any handguns u need to get them trasfered to a FFL in NJ.I been there many times so I have asked those questions before.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:21:27 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Long guns you need a DL and will get a background check.thats it.Any handguns u need to get them trasfered to a FFL in NJ.I been there many times so I have asked those questions before.

Yup, as QSN said, although I would certainly have your NJ FID for the long guns, as well.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 2:21:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Also, you may only purchase out-of-state long guns from a dealer.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:50:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Also, I was told buy the NJSP that a NJ certificate of eligibility had to be filled out. I ask why and they said that cause federal law says you have to abide by the laws of both states, NJ and PA and NJ requires a CoE.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:10:06 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Also, I was told buy the NJSP that a NJ certificate of eligibility had to be filled out. I ask why and they said that cause federal law says you have to abide by the laws of both states, NJ and PA and NJ requires a CoE.

Yup, and make sure that you get a copy for your own records
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:12:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

That is not true.  I just bought a new 870 at cabelas this January and I needed my firearms ID card.  The guy who sold me the gun said that it is just like you were buying it in New Jersey.  Thay even did a NICs check.  I thought the same thing.  Good thing my father had his card on him to buy the gun.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:34:01 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is not true.  I just bought a new 870 at cabelas this January and I needed my firearms ID card.  The guy who sold me the gun said that it is just like you were buying it in New Jersey.  Thay even did a NICs check.  I thought the same thing.  Good thing my father had his card on him to buy the gun.

This was my experience also when buying an 11-87 a little over a year ago at the Cabela's in Hamburg, PA. NJ FID and NJ DL w/photo. They do however make the transaction easy because they seem to know what they need and how the law is written.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:47:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Huh?Thats weird.My buddy bought an AR15 from there a little over 1 1/2 years ago and all they did was look at his DL and did a Nic's check and that was it.He didnt't have a firearm ID card either.I brought mine just in case I had to get it for him but it didn't come down to me doing that.I guess they changer how they sell them now.Well thanks for correcting me.Thats good to know.Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:35:12 PM EDT
[#9]
 Not that I would, but could I go over the bridge and legally buy a Colt 6920, for example, as a New Jersey resident?  Do I only break the law if I bring it back?
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:39:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
 Not that I would, but could I go over the bridge and legally buy a Colt 6920, for example, as a New Jersey resident?  Do I only break the law if I bring it back?

The law is weird.  It's not illegal for them to sell it to you, but it's illegal for you to own it within NJ.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 3:55:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The law is weird.  It's not illegal for them to sell it to you, but it's illegal for you to own it within NJ.

Very interesting.  Not that I would do that, though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top