Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2006 10:33:23 AM EDT
The Rochester group has mentioned this before, so I just wanted to make an official posting regarding a get together at GCL.

Who is in
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:47:54 PM EDT
[#1]
When??
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:44:31 PM EDT
[#2]
How about a Saturday or Sunday?
I don't really care about the weather, so how about Sunday the 19th?
Or would others like to wait until it is warmer?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 2:51:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Stupid question

What is the GCL and were about is it?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:45:05 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Stupid question

What is the GCL and were about is it?

I am in for either day.

The GCL is The Genesee Conservation League. A very nice range in Penfield NY or in the suburbs of Rochester.

www.gclrochester.com/
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:02:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Will non-GCL memebers be invited also?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:52:33 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Will non-GCL memebers be invited also?

IIRC each paid member can have up to two guests. I was there last week with 3 nonmembers and we were all talking to one of the big wigs about the action pistol range and not a word was said to me about to many guests. I am sure that they look at it as a promotional thing to attract new members. Either way you can come on my card.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:44:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I would be interested if I could be sponsored by a GCL member.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:04:39 PM EDT
[#8]
they are planning some tact rifle matches not scheduled yet. be careful with guests you dont know who will be on duty any given weekend, some wont be so forgiving. one guest shoots at a time while member superives
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:06:31 PM EDT
[#9]
supervises
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:25:30 PM EDT
[#10]
id love to join, but it all the way on the other side of the city for me as i am almost to batavia.lol I'd liek to check that place out sometime though.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:27:13 AM EDT
[#11]
I would also be willing to host a guest if that is needed.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:36:48 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Either way you can come on my card.

Quoted:
I would also be willing to host a guest if that is needed.

Thanks guys. Keep us posted in this thread when. Im paying the range fees for the day, and the first rounds on me as well (after the shuetzenfesting that is )
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 2:27:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Hey! Just joined the forums. What a great site! Saw your post about a shooting get together and think it's great. Tell me about this GCL you are going to? I've been looking for a place to go, how much is it to join? What kind of range do they have there? Is this the one in Penfield? I know, new guy with lots of questions. lol

BTW.. I saw where you were planning on meeting there this Sunday. Is it still on? I'd love to come over and check the place out, is it open to the public? If you are still going, let me know when and I'll meet if possible.

Great site!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:34:43 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Hey! Just joined the forums. What a great site! Saw your post about a shooting get together and think it's great. Tell me about this GCL you are going to? I've been looking for a place to go, how much is it to join? What kind of range do they have there? Is this the one in Penfield? I know, new guy with lots of questions. lol

BTW.. I saw where you were planning on meeting there this Sunday. Is it still on? I'd love to come over and check the place out, is it open to the public? If you are still going, let me know when and I'll meet if possible.

Great site!

Hey welcome to the boards!

Genesee Conservation League is the club located in Penfield. If I remember correctly I paid around $200 for my initiation fee and first year dues including the indoor pistol range (Deduct $45 if you don't want to use the indoor range) and yearly renewals are $100. It is open to the public but I am not to sure of the details? Maybe someone else can chime in and help with that?

As for the shoot this weekend, I don't know? It's going to be a cold one that's for sure.

What's the good word guys?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:53:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Hi all! I'm still getting my bearings on the site.

I'd be very intersted in checking GCL out and possibly joining - I'm in Victor.

Thanks!
Jay
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:32:58 PM EDT
[#16]
I actually took the time and went by the place today. One hell of a bunch of ranges. I did see a sign, maybe two that said it was a 'membership club' and that visitors had to go to the clubhouse. So, is the place open for anyone to come shoot or do you have to join. The price seems great for what they have there. How long is the rifle range? I took a quick look and it looked pretty long. I've got the rifle and my G17 all set to go, I hope the weather holds out.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:14:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Hey welcome to the boards!

Genesee Conservation League is the club located in Penfield. If I remember correctly I paid around $200 for my initiation fee and first year dues including the indoor pistol range (Deduct $45 if you don't want to use the indoor range) and yearly renewals are $100. It is open to the public but I am not to sure of the details? Maybe someone else can chime in and help with that?

As for the shoot this weekend, I don't know? It's going to be a cold one that's for sure.

What's the good word guys?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I agree, it is gonna be a cold one Sunday, and if the wind is anything like it was today...
I have to say this though: my wife is due any day now (our 1st), so I plan on shooting Sunday at 12:00noon whatever the weather, but then again I might be at Roch General with a little one on the way

To Longtime, GCL is a private club, ie. no one can just show up and shoot. You should contact GCL, they are in the phone book, to get info on how to join. You have to go to an orientation, pay your dues, get your membership card, etc.   ZW17 gave you a really good idea of what to expect to pay for a new GCL membership. Luckily, GCL is affiliated with the CMP, so you can look at it as motivation to get a Garand down the road. And welcome to the boards.

ETA: GCL means Genesse Conservation League
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:37:17 AM EDT
[#18]
http://www.gclrochester.com/
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:53:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for all the info guys. I'd still like to stop down and get the 'members tour' before committing fully. What time would any of you be down there? I'd like to see that ranges and then, of course, shoot a bunch of ammo. ZW17, are you going to be there? You seem to be the most knowing one there....
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:45:13 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Thanks for all the info guys. I'd still like to stop down and get the 'members tour' before committing fully. What time would any of you be down there? I'd like to see that ranges and then, of course, shoot a bunch of ammo. ZW17, are you going to be there? You seem to be the most knowing one there....

Longtime, I am going to have to pass on tomorrow afternoon. It is going to be downright cold and windy, not to good of shooting conditions.

I will IM you my cell phone # and feel free to call me anytime next week and hopefully the weather will break and we can plan a day to get down there.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:27:20 PM EDT
[#21]
I have been there a lot. Great place to shoot. Three different outdoor ranges, two indoors, and the rifle range is a 200 yarder. They also have the archery range and a course through the wooded trails. I would suggest everyone visit there and join. They're the only thing closest to Rochester that is worth it.

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:32:55 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

You will have your best bet catching someone in the clubhous that can give you a tour during the weekend (Saturday & Sunday) in the early afternoon.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:12:20 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I have been there a lot. Great place to shoot. Three different outdoor ranges, two indoors, and the rifle range is a 200 yarder. They also have the archery range and a course through the wooded trails. I would suggest everyone visit there and join. They're the only thing closest to Rochester that is worth it.

I am a huge bow hunter and let me tell you that the 3D archery course is awesome. It's about a mile hike in the woods with 30+ targets. That was one of the main reasons I joined the club.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:12:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Where are my manners? I should have started out with:

Hey everyone. Just got into your group on a recommendation from a fellow instructor. I am the founder of Rochester Personal Defense, based here in town, and I have been training people in almost every pahse and level of self defense. Mostly, I teach UNarmed defense and handgun defense skills, but I do get into long arms and edged weaponry too. I schedule classes on a fairly regular basis so check out the web address at the end of the post. If anyone is interested, feel free to contact me.

In addition to the training, I also run the soon to be famous Tuesday Night Concealed Carry shoot held at GCL. For those of you that are pistol shooters, you should come check it out.

I had been 'lurking' a bit before signing up and actually liked a lot of the information and questions posted here. When I get my AR ready to buld, I'l lhave to elicit some of your expert opinions on what works and what does not.

Hope to see some of you around, keep up the good work and shoot safe.

Dave
www.safeinrochester.com

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:18:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Welcome Dave!
Thanks for the great info.
I have been considering the Tuesday night class for awhile now, I'll have to jump in soon as I will have some time off coming my way soon...

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:09:32 PM EDT
[#26]
You have my invite. Just stop out around 5:30 and we'll get you set up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top