Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2006 10:29:10 AM EDT
I've got a dumb question for you guys.  I bought a rifle from a guy on another board who lives in Rochester (I'm in Highland Falls).  He swears to me that it's legal for private individuals to ship firearms to one another within the state.  I thought this was complete BS until I read the BATF reg which states exactly that.  My question is, has anyone ever heard of this before?  Is there some NYS law that prevents someone from doing it?  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 10:49:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Perfectly legal to do.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 12:15:49 PM EDT
[#2]
It's ok to do that, just make sure he ships it the right way.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 12:43:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Perfectly legal to do.  

+1

I was skeptical of this also at first, but now ive done several, both shipped and recieved (recievers and complete firearms)
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 3:00:48 PM EDT
[#4]
100% legal.  It's even legal for handguns in NYS, if you comply with your local requirements for getting a gun onto your permit in a private sale.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:44:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info.  I just couldn't believe that you could actually do something like that.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:05:57 AM EDT
[#6]
That's cool, when I did it about a year ago I had to ask the same question, for long guns only though. Same thing as a face to face private sale in NY.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:02:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Shhhhhhhhhh! Let's not spread this around! If Sheldon hears of this, someone in the assembly will try to BAN it. Sheesh.

Hey Science-Guy. How ya been buddy? How's things at the Point?

Whisky19
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:19:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Just be aware that if  a common carrier is used to ship the rifle the person is required to notify the carrier and it must be shipped with adult signature required for delivery.

As a side note I would never do this unless I personally knew the person and he/she had a current NYS pistol license or was a LEO.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:14:18 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Just be aware that if  a common carrier is used to ship the rifle the person is required to notify the carrier and it must be shipped with adult signature required for delivery.

This is not necessary if either the sender or the receiver has a FFL or C&R license.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top