Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2006 5:00:41 PM EDT
I know that threaded barrels are a no-no.
I believe that flash suppressors are also.

But what about pinned Y-compensators and pinned-and-welded muzzle brakes (like the AK47 brake) that Bushmaster offers on their  barrels

Thanks for your wisdom guys.  Looking forward to the next mini-blast.

Brian
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:12:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Pinned muzzle brakes are fine. No flashiders or exposed threads. Must be permanent.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:28:04 PM EDT
[#2]
are evil threaded barrels illegal in jersey for all firearms, longuns, handguns alike?  semi-auto and bolt action? the reason i ask is the walther p22 (no brake) has a threaded barrel as well a the armalite ar-30 and ar-50 (both come with brake).hock.gif
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:37:10 PM EDT
[#3]
If the rifle has a detachable box magazine and a pistol grip you can not have a threaded bbl.  If you have a muzzle brake that is permanently attached then you are good to go.  The Springfield M1As have a flash hider/threaded bbl and a detachable mag.  They are ok because there no pistol grip.

Matt
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:50:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Also, threaded pistol barrels are okay, like on the H&K USP Tactical, because the detachable magazine is not outside the pistol grip.  They are not legal on pistols like the Tec-9 or any AR-15 type pistol.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 10:09:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Also, threaded pistol barrels are okay, like on the H&K USP Tactical, because the detachable magazine is not outside the pistol grip.  They are not legal on pistols like the Tec-9 or any AR-15 type pistol.

go figure, because these laws make so much sense!
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 11:18:09 AM EDT
[#6]
So if I owned a california legal assault weapon which is indicated as a rifle which has the ability to have a  removable magazine and a pistol grip, and further has a threaded barrell with a compensator on it... would it be legal in NJ if I pin the compensator on?  Can you add a pin onto a muzzle break on a normal post-ban barrell?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:24:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
So if I owned a california legal assault weapon which is indicated as a rifle which has the ability to have a  removable magazine and a pistol grip, and further has a threaded barrell with a compensator on it... would it be legal in NJ if I pin the compensator on?  Can you add a pin onto a muzzle break on a normal post-ban barrell?

Yes, as long as the rifle does not have a bayonet lug of folding/collapasing stock.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:47:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Pinned muzzle brakes are fine. No flashiders or exposed threads. Must be permanent.

I think the entire ban is a waste of legislation. However, I'll play devil's advocate. Here are a few of my concerns.

1. The NJ statute does not ban threaded barrels. 2C:39-1 (w)

2.  The AGs office interprets the statute as prohibiting threaded barrels. read this

3.  Where, or who, stated that a permanently mounted "muzzle device" over a threaded barrel is permissible?

What say you?

Mike
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:01:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:32:08 PM EDT
[#10]
everything is very ambiguous in NJ, I don't like that :(  Crooked freaking state..
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:19:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think the entire ban is a waste of legislation. However, I'll play devil's advocate. Here are a few of my concerns.

1. The NJ statute does not ban threaded barrels. 2C:39-1 (w)

2.  The AGs office interprets the statute as prohibiting threaded barrels. read this

3.  Where, or who, stated that a permanently mounted "muzzle device" over a threaded barrel is permissible?

What say you?

Mike

Mike, I based my answer on the M1A.  It has a threaded barrel right? It doesn't have to be permanent because the rifle lacks a pistol grip even though it has a flashider and not a brake. Muzzle brakes are not flashiders. Bushmaster's are sold throughout the state with comp's and brakes permanently attached are are legal to own.

My brakes on my rifles are pinned and welded. I shoot with a State Trooper and a local Cop. Neither has said my rifles were a "nono"
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:49:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
everything is very ambiguous in NJ, I don't like that :(  Crooked freaking state..

No argument from me!!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:42:40 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Mike, I based my answer on the M1A.  It has a threaded barrel right? It doesn't have to be permanent because the rifle lacks a pistol grip even though it has a flashider and not a brake. Muzzle brakes are not flashiders. Bushmaster's are sold throughout the state with comp's and brakes permanently attached are are legal to own.

My brakes on my rifles are pinned and welded. I shoot with a State Trooper and a local Cop. Neither has said my rifles were a "nono"

I have an M1A myself. Nice rifle. I'll agree that no one will normally question a muzzle brake.  I can see an over zealous prosecutor letting a jury decide.

As for me, I will not concede that a threaded barrel is illegal. That is only the AGs position. The legislature did not include that prohibition in the statute.

IMHO all of these statutes will be up for changes within the next 2 years.

Mike
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:14:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Mike, I wouldn't necessarly disagree however I really think the law was written to mean exposed threads on a barrel. Like a MAC10 or a Tec9 . If a barrel is threaded and is then covered by a brake or comp. that is permenantly attached, they I don't see a problem.

As I stated before, many semi-auto rifles are legally sold in NJ with permanently attached brakes and comps. Busmasters and DSA FAL type rifles come to mind.

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:54:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Is pinning the thing on a requirments in addition to soldering it on? I've heard some people here say hi-temp MAPP welded silver solder is enough, others say get it pinned as well. Im picturing an A1 clone project in a few months and I'd hate to spend a ton of money at a gunsmith if all I need to do is goto home depot and just hi-temp selver solder it on.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:24:29 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Is pinning the thing on a requirments in addition to soldering it on? I've heard some people here say hi-temp MAPP welded silver solder is enough, others say get it pinned as well. Im picturing an A1 clone project in a few months and I'd hate to spend a ton of money at a gunsmith if all I need to do is goto home depot and just hi-temp selver solder it on.

I had both done but silver solding is permanent, Adco Arms did mine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top