Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2006 8:06:44 PM EDT
I've been looking around the site for awhile now and finally registered.  I'm a NYC resident and because of such I fall under the strict NYC assault weapons rules.  I've been going to the range with my buddies in NJ and PA and have caught the AR bughug.gif.  I really want to get into competition shooting but because of where I live I'm afraid I won't be able to.  Does anyone know if there is any possible way for me to have an AR and still live in NYC.  I mean even if  I couldn't keep it here that's not a problem because I could keep it in a buddy's house in another state in my own seperate safe if need be.  I know there's alot of knowledge on this site about this topic so I figured I'd ask the AR gods for some help.  Thanks.

James
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:08:08 PM EDT
[#1]
It's perfectly legal for a New York City resident to own an AR-15 as long as it never enters New York City.

Note that if you are in NYS, CT or NJ you'll still be subject to statewide assault weapons laws.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:44:19 AM EDT
[#2]
So I would be able to go to say NJ and buy a lower reciever without a problem?  I was told that since I live in NYC and since that's what will come up on the background check, I won't be able to buy a lower reciever.  Does anyone know of a good dealer that carries AR lowers in NJ or a good FFL to have one sent to...I live in Staten Island so NJ is my neighbor.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:31:45 AM EDT
[#3]
You won't be able to buy the lower in NJ because you don't have a NJ-issued Firearms ID card.  However, you can buy the lower in NYS outside of NYC, or in Connecticut or Pennsylvania (or most other states).  Not all dealers will freely sell to a NYC resident; you might offer to leave with the dealer a notarized letter that you are not going to transport the weapon into NYC.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:03:52 AM EDT
[#4]
If you want to get into competition shooting N.Y.S. has a very good program for starting . There you will learn on how to shoot an AR 15 . Eather at Camp Smith on April 8 & 9 or The Peconic River Sportsman Club April 29& 30.You can get more info at www.nyhighpower.com Bruce Kraft
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:22:27 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If you want to get into competition shooting N.Y.S. has a very good program for starting . There you will learn on how to shoot an AR 15 . Eather at Camp Smith on April 8 & 9 or The Peconic River Sportsman Club April 29& 30.You can get more info at www.nyhighpower.com Bruce Kraft

+1

I took the SAFS course at Camp Smith in April '03 and although I already knew some of what was covered I also learned alot too. Highly recommended, especially for a newbie.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:50:21 AM EDT
[#6]
You might be able to buy an AR15 from a private source and then it is up to you where you keep it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 10:30:26 AM EDT
[#7]
That program sounds very good.  I'm deffinately going to look into that.  Ok so I will be able to buy a lower reciever in NYS or PA as long as I have a notarized letter stating the gun will be kept in another state?  Does anyone know of any dealers who will understand my situation and sell me the lower (I don't mind driving to Long Island or Eastern PA if need be).  I'd rather give the business to a reputable dealer that someone knows then just anybody.  Also what do I do about registration or is there even a registration?  I'm most likely going to keep the gun at a friends house in PA in a seperate safe but since I'm from NY and I own the gun how do I prove it's mine?  Sorry for all the questions but I'm trying to do this whole thing the right way.  Thanks again for all the help.

James
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:33:41 AM EDT
[#8]
The bottom line is ANY gun shop in NY state can sell you an AR-15 regardless of where in the state you live. It is up to you, not the FFL to transport and store the rifle accordingly. Call around to the different gun shops on Long Island, Putnam and Dutchess counties. On LI, On Target in New Hyde Park will sell you an AR as long as you pass the NICS. If you store the rifle in PA, all you need to prove ownership is the sales slip. If there is ever registration for NY, you may not have to register the rifle since it is stored out of state. When NYC passed their AWB, they gave gun owners the choice of turning them in or moving them out of the city. Any resident of NYC can own an unregistered arsenal if they keep it out of NYC. Ask me how I know
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:40:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank you Sgt_Gold for the help.  I plan on giving On Target a call and finally building the AR I really wanthug.gif.  Again thanks everyone for all the help and patienceJames
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:45:11 AM EDT
[#10]
Buy the AR in Westchester and you'll be fine. Just don't get caught with it in the city.
I live in the Bronx and I have one. then again....I am a cop.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:23:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Buy the AR in Westchester and you'll be fine. Just don't get caught with it in the city.

so are you for or against citizens from owning AR 15s?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:19:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

so are you for or against citizens from owning AR 15s?

So does that mean that cops are allowed to personally own weapons that us poor plebes are not?  Or that you just look the other way for each other?  Inquiring minds want to know.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:43:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:20:24 PM EDT
[#14]
First off LEO's could own certain things we can't but when they retire they got to give it up. They do not look the other way since they legally could have them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top